PDA

View Full Version : So true.........

basedog
10-28-2015, 10:35 AM
Dabo Swinney blames social media for midseason firings

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney might be having a tremendous season, but that doesn't mean he won't stand by his fellow man.

In a press conference Tuesday, Swinney outlined the correlation between coaches getting fired midseason and social media. He said that back in the day, coaches would be given the opportunity to play out the season.

But nowadays, he claims, anyone with access to social media plays a pivotal role in building up social anger, which could force an athletic director's hand.

"It?s a sad state of affairs," Swinney said. "It comes with the territory. It?s not like it used to be, where you evaluate the totality of a season. It just isn?t that way any more. Social media gets people hired, fired and retired quick. Just like that. It?s just an overwhelming swell of emotion, good, bad or whatever."

So far this season, a slew of coaches have been fired midway through the year. Take a look:

Coach School Day of Firing
Dan McCarney North Texas Oct. 10
Randy Edsall Maryland Oct. 11
Steve Sarkisian USC Oct. 13
Al Golden Miami Oct. 25

"When did you ever see this many coaches without jobs in the middle of the season? It?s like the trend now, and it?s sad," Swinney added. "With the amount of money that?s involved, win right now, the expectations, shoot first, ask questions later mentality that we?ve got, it?s just the way it is.

"I hate it. These are people."

RoverDog
10-28-2015, 10:44 AM
I agree with him, it's a different age, but the Sarkisian deal was a little different. If he really was intoxicated on the sidelines, especially after the alumni event embarassment, there's no option but to fire him....social media not withstanding.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-28-2015, 10:46 AM
Back in the day, we used to hold on to coaches too long and look where it got us.
McCarney is 15-19 in conference over 5 years
Edsall is 10-23 in conference over 5 years with 2 bowl losses
Sarkisian under performed at USC and is a drunk
Golden has a small case with the probation, but there's plenty of players in South Fla for him to build with.

CFB is now a big business and you better perform or they will get rid of you. Success in football has a monumental effect on the rest of the university.

PassInterference
10-28-2015, 10:47 AM
"I hate it. These are people."

...with massive buyout clauses. They'll make more money for not working than most folks with jobs.

basedog
10-28-2015, 10:50 AM
...with massive buyout clauses. They'll make more money for not working than most folks with jobs.

Wasn't my quote. I just copy and paste.

PassInterference
10-28-2015, 10:52 AM
Fixed.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-28-2015, 10:58 AM
Fixed.

LOL....

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to PassInterference again.

BB30
10-28-2015, 11:10 AM
Big money business. Al Golden had more then enough time to field a competitive team. Sarkisian did it to himself. No different then professional athletes being called up/down. As states previously they have generous buy outs most of the time. Don't exactly feel sorry for them.

Leroy Jenkins
10-28-2015, 11:19 AM
I don't know if guys making millions will get much sympathy.
To whom much is given....

EAVdog
10-28-2015, 11:49 AM
Actually losing and losing bad + no fans showing up = Getting canned mid-season. Recruiting probably has more to do with the timing, can't wait until after bowl games to hire a coach and then go out and recruit.

ShotgunDawg
10-28-2015, 11:58 AM
IMO, how much money someone makes shouldn't effect how you treat them or the fairness they receive. Furthermore, many of effects parties in these situations are family members or kids at school that really have nothing to do with the money. I feel like the twitter and message board mob uses money as an excuse to dehumanize people and I don't think that's right.

Beaver
10-28-2015, 12:02 PM
Coaches get fired all the time mid-season in professional sports. Yes, you have to be a bit more careful in college because you have boosters, recruiting, dealing with kids instead of professionals, etc, but it's not as big a deal as Dabo is making it out to be.

Here's his quote -- "With the amount of money that's involved, win right now, the expectations, shoot first, ask questions later mentality that we've got, it's just the way it is."

It just the way it is in most sports.

BB30
10-28-2015, 12:10 PM
I just don't think social media plays near the role in it that he is insinuating. An athletic director is not going to fire a coach due to tweets and fb posts. Most of these situations are clear cut that the guy hasn't gotten the job done and it is better to move on now and have a chance to land a decent replacement.

And, as a coach you know exactly what you are signing you and your family up for. Now that does not mean it is right to bash someone but they know what they are getting into before they ever take the job. You know that you could be fired and your family could have to move or deal with public scrutiny.

mparkerfd20
10-28-2015, 01:12 PM
If I suck at my office job I don't have to wait until the end of the Year to get fired. Screw the entitlistic thinking of these multimillionaire coaches who think they can cruise through for the full year. You're paid major bucks to do a job. Do it!!