PDA

View Full Version : Pitching coach...

maroonmania
10-27-2015, 10:06 PM
what's the latest? Sounds like things didn't work out with the Cal State Fullerton guy.

AlSwearengen
10-27-2015, 10:13 PM
Hopefully the rest of the search will be kept quiet until a coach is signed, sealed, and delivered. My concern is that for some reason we can't lure a coach away from an Illinois or Dallas baptist.

Todd4State
10-27-2015, 10:21 PM
We interviewed Wes Johnson of Dallas Baptist yesterday.

Don't worry about the pitching coach situation. We really don't absolutely need one until January and as far as recruiting, our class is pretty much put together and none of them are going to flip to Auburn or anyone else.

Heck, we got three commitments for our current class the past three days and two of them are pitchers.

Bully13
10-27-2015, 10:26 PM
Wow.. 3 pitching commits without a pitching coach on board.. we bad

Todd4State
10-27-2015, 10:33 PM
Hopefully the rest of the search will be kept quiet until a coach is signed, sealed, and delivered. My concern is that for some reason we can't lure a coach away from an Illinois or Dallas baptist.

Yeah- I think that was the mistake here. It got out too soon and for some reason a lot of people- reputable people- thought it was an absolute done deal.

And honestly, looking at D1's pitching coach candidate list, I think Johnson is the most likely to come. Dickinson is an Illinois alum. Woodward is at Virginia Tech and a UNC alum and I could see him being interested.

But Johnson has spent a lot of time in Arkansas and he has been at places like Arkansas Monticello before. I don't think Starkville is going to shock him, his wife or his dog.

Coach34
10-28-2015, 06:33 AM
The reason it got out as pretty much done was that the guy was sold- but his wife had to sign off on the move. She didn't- no Sville for her.

starkvegasdawg
10-28-2015, 06:36 AM
The reason it got out as pretty much done was that the guy was sold- but his wife had to sign off on the move. She didn't- no Sville for her.

She friends with Manny's wife?

Bama_Dawg
10-28-2015, 08:52 AM
She friends with Manny's wife?

Spend a year in Ruston (like Manny's wife), and Starkville will look like a Metropolis.

Political Hack
10-28-2015, 09:32 AM

That poor guy is going to resent her for the rest of his life. California to Mississippi is a big shock though. Doesn't matter what town it is, it's culturally different in a million ways.

mstatefan91
10-28-2015, 09:40 AM
One is going to resent the other either way in that situation.

BB30
10-28-2015, 10:15 AM
That poor guy is going to resent her for the rest of his life. California to Mississippi is a big shock though. Doesn't matter what town it is, it's culturally different in a million ways.

Yep move here for 3-5 yrs cost of living is a lot better put money back and move back to California at some point. We probably offered him 3 times what he was making ad Cal State. Money is not everything but seems like it would be a no brainer at least for a few years.

DancingRabbit
10-28-2015, 10:27 AM
If she sat down with Ben Howland for 20 minutes it might have ended differently. That guy has been one awesome ambassador for State and Starkville since coming on board.

AlSwearengen
10-28-2015, 10:30 AM
This shit amazes me. I don't care how hot she is, she better be making a damn good living and the guy should definitely know his wife better. You are going from L.A. to a college town in MS. Men that have supportive wives, count your blessings.

Bothrops
10-28-2015, 11:19 AM
If she sat down with Ben Howland for 20 minutes it might have ended differently. That guy has been one awesome ambassador for State and Starkville since coming on board.

Ben Howland and his wife are very grateful people. Definitely an exception to the norm.

maroonmania
10-28-2015, 03:24 PM
Ben Howland and his wife are very grateful people. Definitely an exception to the norm.

Yep, and the Howlands have lived in many different parts of the country. Sounds like the CSF guy (and likely his wife) have been CA west coasters their entire lives.