PDA

View Full Version : Preston Palmeiro commits to NC State

Jacksondevildog
07-28-2013, 05:42 PM
Not a shock, but its hard to believe that we couldn't land at least one of his kids.

Coach34
07-28-2013, 05:50 PM
Not a shock, but its hard to believe that we couldn't land at least one of his kids.

I would have loved to have signed him for the name- but not sure where he was going to play the next couple of years at least

Jacksondevildog
07-28-2013, 05:55 PM
Does anyone know who our new baseball commitment is? Gene says that he committed the other night but did not want his name being made public due to a unique situation.

WeWonItAll(Most)
07-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Must of been the political board..

Coach34
07-28-2013, 06:23 PM
Must of been the political board..

the political board is returning...cool your jets

msstate7
07-28-2013, 06:29 PM

Great news

Bully13
07-28-2013, 07:11 PM

Thanks Coach- I look forward to it returning!!

WeWonItAll(Most)
07-28-2013, 07:19 PM

Thank you. My crusade is now complete

Todd4State
07-28-2013, 07:27 PM
Before this gets locked, I'm going to give my thoughts on Palmeiro which I've kind of had to keep to myself for awhile.

I would have loved to have had him on the team- I think our fans would have loved to have had Raffy around and had his son on the team. Also him playing left field could have been really cool. I think Preston will be a good baseball player.

That said, I also think we could have been presented with some potential problems with Raffy around as well. Someone that high profile with a name on a building- well, we all saw how awkward that could get with Polk. Granted, Polk took it to probably the utmost extreme. I do know that Rafael is a big supporter of Polk- that's not to say he doesn't like Cohen, but when we first hired Cohen his son Patrick de-committed from us and ended up at JUCO and then UAB. And as we all saw from the Jose Canseco hearings and also from urban legend stories about him and Will Clark not getting along- let's just say that Raffy can be a really hard headed. And not always rational. Allegedly, Palmeiro's falling out with Will Clark occurred because Starkville had a parade for Will after the 1984 Olympics and Palmeiro was jealous. Well, the thing is- the only reason Palmeiro was not on the Olympic team was because he was born in Cuba and therefore not eligible to be selected. Otherwise, we would have had a parade for both because I'm pretty sure a guy that had just won the SEC Triple Crown would have been on Team USA. The other outfielders on Team USA were Shane Mack, Oddibe McDowell, and Cory Snyder. So, yeah.

All of that is to say this- I could see Rafael Palmeiro potentially causing some problems that we really don't need right now with all of the momentum that we have.

And like Coach said, he would have to wait his turn to play for us- although I do think he would have eventually started probably by the time he was a junior. And as far as following in his Dad's footsteps- with these bats and everything, there's no way he could come close to accomplishing what his Dad did, and I think there would have been some disappointment from at least some of our fans. But with him going to NC State, he doesn't have to worry about that.

At least Cohen offered him and he came on an official visit last fall and gave him an opportunity- but Palmeiro has chosen to go to NC State and I wish him well and I hope he makes it to the Big Leagues one day.

Bully13
07-28-2013, 08:08 PM
Thanks Coach- I look forward to it returning!!

Man, I really can't wait for the Political Board to start back!!!

CadaverDawg
07-28-2013, 08:10 PM
Thank you. My crusade is now complete

The crusade of bad mouthing this board on the other boards?