PDA

View Full Version : 6 Bowl Game appearances in a row....

DistrictDawg92
10-27-2015, 03:01 PM
Only SEC teams with longer streaks are Georgia(19), LSU(16) and Alabama(12). A&M will have 7, but only 4 as an SEC team. This is also assuming South Carolina does not get to 6 wins, it would take a miracle. 6 Bowl games in a row is even more impressive when considering that it was arguably during the strongest stretch for the SEC West ever with 3 different West teams having national championship appearances. The amount of positive change that Mullen has brought to our program win-wise, reputation-wise, fan base-wise and facility-wise is nothing short of amazing.

Mullen has quietly transformed a consistent cellar dweller into a top 5 program in the SEC. 6 years is a good time period to evaluate a program as a whole due to the fact that it dilutes anomalies and looks at just over one generation of players, which speaks for depth and consistency. In the past 6 years to date, we have had 47 wins in 71 games with a 66% win percentage.
-Bama(65 wins) and LSU(59 wins) are obviously the top 2 SEC programs at the time.
-The next tier (USC(52 wins), UGA(51 wins), Mizzou(50 wins), A&M(49 wins), Auburn(49 wins) and State(47 wins)) is fluid and should look different at the end of the year. USC, UGA and Mizzou have benifited from an abnormaly weak SEC East over the past 6 years. 16 of A&M's 49 wins and 18 of Mizzou's wins came from the Big XII. Auburn has been everything but consistent over the past 6 years, and USCe, Mizzou, and Auburn are all currently dumpster fires.
-UF(43), Arky(38) and OM(36) complete the lower tier, with Vandy(32), Tennessee(31) and UK(24) holding down the cellar.

If we can finish out the season 3-1 or better, and follow up this season with another 9 win season next year, I think we will solidify ourselves as a top 5 SEC program, not only in our eyes, but the eyes of the general public. Please note the difference in a program(overview of multiple past years plus the outlook of the future) and team(one year's results). A successful program is not built in one or two years, it is built on success over more than one generation of players. Right now I would say the top 5 SEC programs are:
1) Bama
2) LSU
3) UGA
4) MSU-(State get's the nod over A&M, but it's really a coin toss and I wouldn't disagree with an argument for A&M at 4th.)
5) A&M
I think Ole Miss and Auburn(inconsistent) would be next. Florida needs a couple more years of sustained success before they can be mentioned, but I like their future and might end up taking UGA's spot in the top 5 in the next few years. Mizzou and USCe are going to be down for a few years to come.

QuadrupleOption
10-28-2015, 08:26 AM
Yep. Even in 2013 when we were 4-6 with Arkansas and Ole Miss to go I thought Dan was doing a great job. He's the best coach we've had since McKeen in the 40's. I'll always love Sherrill and what he did for MSU and the fanbase as a whole but Dan has done a better job in a tougher SEC.

Travelingdawg
10-28-2015, 08:37 AM
^ This all day long!!!