PDA

View Full Version : Another zinger from the OM PR playbook

PassInterference
10-27-2015, 01:51 PM
Y'all might recall my essay on Ole Miss's PR playbook: http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?34555-Breaking-down-the-Ole-Miss-PR-playbook

In short,

The primary objective of the Ole Miss PR playbook is to control public opinion. No surprise there - that's what PR is. The best way to do this is to plant a plausible idea into the mind of the public and allow that idea to lead the public to the conclusion that Ole Miss wants them to make.

I submit to you today's action from the same playbook.
http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/ole-miss/2015/10/27/rebels-reportedly-withhold-nkemdiche-award-consideration/74679132/

Ole Miss released this in response to Forde's story that Ole Miss has held Robert Nkemdiche out of the Lott Trophy consideration due to academics:

"Obviously there are many awards that our media relations team has nominated Robert for. This particular award has subjective criteria, and due to student-athlete privacy concerns, I am not able to share the specifics of the decision-making process. In addition, I am not allowed to discuss a student-athlete's eligibility, but I can confirm Robert is not at risk."

Ole Miss didn't mind telling Pat Forde that Nkemdiche's academics were too poor for the Lott Trophy. But when the CL asked about this, Ole Miss said due to privacy concerns they can't comment on...what, exactly?. Damn, let's look closer at that comment.

"I am not allowed to discuss a student-athlete's eligibility, but I can confirm Robert is not at risk." What does that mean? That his eligibility isn't at risk, or that his academics aren't at risk? Those are two different questions. Obviously, they've frame their statement to imply they are talking about academics.

But we astute elitedawgs have pointed out that Robert could be pissing away academics in this his final fall semester while maintaining eligibility right up to bowl season. Looks to me that it is entirely possible his academics are out the window while is eligibility "is not at risk".

Bravo, Ole Miss PR. Plant the idea ("Robert is not at risk"), then run and hide, and make no other comment. Make a statement about eligibility not being at risk while avoiding the academics question, then exit stage right before anybody notices.

An bonus points for the spin on that parting shot: "I can't comment except for this little part right here that makes us look good...."

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-27-2015, 01:59 PM
Just like the emails, they hide behind some bs rule to avoid telling the truth or being forthcoming.