PDA

View Full Version : Cory Thomas

tireddawg
10-27-2015, 01:29 PM
I don't know our players as well as some of you guys, but it looks like Thomas is gonna be stud.

What's the story on him? I know he's from Alabama. Was he highly recruited, highly ranked?

And who's considered our best young
D-lineman?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-27-2015, 01:54 PM
He committed to Tenn., but swapped to us on signing day. He took official visits to MSU, Tenn, and Clemson and was recruited by bama and auburn as well. http://247sports.com/Player/Cory-Thomas-29120/TimelineEvents

HoopsDawg
10-27-2015, 01:58 PM
I don't know our players as well as some of you guys, but it looks like Thomas is gonna be stud.

What's the story on him? I know he's from Alabama. Was he highly recruited, highly ranked?

And who's considered our best young
D-lineman?

He committed to us, then to UT, and then signed with us. He looked pretty good in the MS/AL all star game. Frankly, I thought he would be a little more impactful/productive this year. It was surprising to me that he is 3rd string DT. Out best young D-linemen is probably Fletcher Adams. All the players comment on his motor and strength. We need to hit a home run on the D-line this year in recruiting.

thf24
10-27-2015, 01:59 PM
I seem to remember there was a lot of puzzlement over him during his recruitment because he had offers from everyone but was rated relatively low despite that.

sandwolf
10-27-2015, 02:02 PM
Seems like I remember him having a pretty impressive list of offers and us ultimately beating out Tennessee for him. But he wasn't highly ranked by the recruiting services......I think he was pretty much a consensus 3 star.

Johnson85
10-27-2015, 02:16 PM
It was surprising to me that he is 3rd string DT.

Surprised me too. I think he was a DE in high school so I was expecting an athletic DT. Don't remember Braxton Hoyett at all during recruiting but he's obviously made more of an impact.

Really need Hoyett and Thomas to be good next year. If Chris Jones and Nick James try the draft, those two and Nelson Adams and Torrey Dale could be our only players with experience at DT.

Have no reason to think that James will leave except I could see him being the type of person that just wants to play for a pay check without having to deal with school, even if he doesn't get a good draft grade.

hailmari
10-27-2015, 02:26 PM
He never committed to us before he did TN, but we were highly favored for a long time (even while he was committed to TN).

Covercorner2
10-27-2015, 02:29 PM
Didn't Cory have a pick last week? Thats impact....

HoopsDawg
10-27-2015, 02:38 PM
Didn't Cory have a pick last week? Thats impact....

I guess so. He got no rush and the ball fell in his hands.

Rayburn8
10-27-2015, 03:14 PM

Wow, only here could someone make a d-lineman pick seem like no big deal.

tireddawg
10-27-2015, 03:17 PM

Wasn't he in the backfield when he picked it?

Wade Garrett
10-27-2015, 03:18 PM

Pretty sure it was a screen and he read it and droppped back

Coach34
10-27-2015, 03:23 PM
Hoyette's big ass is starting to get more snaps. I think he ends up coming on pretty well by next year.

Red Sox Dawg
10-27-2015, 03:26 PM
Pretty sure it was a screen and he read it and droppped back

It was a screen. He intercepted it after he read the play.

tireddawg
10-27-2015, 03:28 PM
Hoyette's big ass is starting to get more snaps. I think he ends up coming on pretty well by next year.

Is Hoyette the one who got pressure on that play? That may he who I'm thinking of instead of thomas

Ifyouonlyknew
10-27-2015, 03:38 PM
Is Hoyette the one who got pressure on that play? That may he who I'm thinking of instead of thomas

No it was Jonathan Calvin. A juco who has quietly put together a very solid year.

msstate7
10-27-2015, 03:39 PM
No it was Jonathan Calvin. A juco who has quietly put together a very solid year.

He was getting lots of pressure Saturday. Was he responsible for losing 2 picks though?

HoopsDawg
10-27-2015, 04:51 PM
He was getting lots of pressure Saturday. Was he responsible for losing 2 picks though?

He had a stupid penalty on the B brown pick six. Kind of made up for it by creating the c Thomas pick.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-27-2015, 06:11 PM
Don't remember Braxton Hoyett at all during recruiting

Could be wrong, but I think Thomas and Hoyett were friends in HS and Hoyett recruited him hard for us.

PMDawg
10-27-2015, 06:18 PM

He actually diagnosed the play and hung back. But whatever makes you feel better.

chef dixon
10-27-2015, 06:24 PM
I will never be able to differentiate between Calvin and Coleman.

MabenMaroon
10-27-2015, 08:53 PM
Could be wrong, but I think Thomas and Hoyett were friends in HS and Hoyett recruited him hard for us.

That is correct. They will both be studs for us before they are through, think in terms of Preston Smith, AJ Jefferson, Kaleb Eulls. A lot of readers/posters on this board seem to be real worried about or are suggesting that it is an absolute must that we will pick some real impact DL players in the next signing class. But anyone we sign will sure enough have to be a bad ass m17er to see much playing time right away behind what we already have in the true and RS freshmen DL department already. Strongly believe that Coach Mullen and Coach Turner are truly building for a sustainable long run of excellence in that area and are building for that 1A/1B concept except that there will be no discernible differences when they substitute.