PDA

View Full Version : MSU bowl projections

Todd4State
10-27-2015, 12:54 AM
Now that we are officially bowl eligible for the sixth year in a row, I thought I would post this.

Per ESPN

Either the Ouback vs. Iowa or the Gator vs. Louisville

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13968797/college-football-bowl-projections-week-8

And per CBS's Jerry Palm- to the Music City vs. Penn State

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13968797/college-football-bowl-projections-week-8

Personally, I wouldn't mind going back to Florida again.

mstatefan91
10-27-2015, 01:08 AM
We will be in a New Year's 6 bowl if we win out. Maybe better than that. No point in discussing the smaller bowls yet..

blacklistedbully
10-27-2015, 01:09 AM
Would love to kick the crap outta Iowa, if it comes to that, though I would tell the Outback bowl to shove their invitation where the sun don't shine. We should never forgive of forget their snubbing of us.

civildawg
10-27-2015, 08:16 AM
no way we go back to the gator. If we do, i expect a REALLY small crowd.

mstate68
10-27-2015, 08:32 AM
If we somehow win out and LSU makes the playoff we'd likely be in the Sugar Bowl. Idk how the bowl order goes but if we don't win out I want the Texas Bowl in Houston for selfish reasons.

PassInterference
10-27-2015, 08:39 AM
Is bowl selection different this year? No more pecking order or something like that? Just back room deals? Maybe? I don't remember.

Political Hack
10-27-2015, 08:56 AM
Nashville > Jacksonville

I wouldn't pee on a blommin' onion if it were on fire.

Bama_Dawg
10-27-2015, 09:02 AM
Nashville > Jacksonville

This +100. Nashville was infinitely more enjoyable than Jacksonville. I-10 feels really long by the time you get to Tallahassee.

Jarius
10-27-2015, 09:24 AM
I'm not going back to Jacksonville. Memphis or Birmingham would suck, but I would go. Any other destination will be outstanding. I would prefer not Houston since I went there for the Kickoff classic 2 years ago, but I wouldn't mind it too bad.

Johnson85
10-27-2015, 09:37 AM
We will be in a New Year's 6 bowl if we win out. Maybe better than that. No point in discussing the smaller bowls yet..

There's no guarantee of that. It all depends on how Florida does. Provided the SEC champion makes it to the playoffs (which might not happen if a two loss team wins), the top SEC team will go to the playoff, the second best team will go to the SUgar, and the third best team will go to the Capital One. After that, the conference will basically decide the order. If we win out and LSU wins out except for Bama, the order could be LSU in the playoffs, Florida in Sugar bowl, and Bama as an at large in one of the other NY 6 bowls, leaving us in the capital one.

If we're not the best remaining SEC team after the at large selection in the NY 6 bowls, we could end up anywhere from Texas to Charlotte. I think we won't be sent to the Gator Bowl because we've been there twice relatively recently. Liberty Bowl would be unlikely since we went last year, except that it makes sense geographically.

onetl
10-27-2015, 11:09 AM
Know I'm old but did Orange Bowl buy out the Liberty Bowl? Sure thought we playedin OB last year??????

War Machine Dawg
10-27-2015, 11:12 AM
Nashville > Jacksonville

Bingo. Give me Nashville. Every. Damn. Time.

Johnson85
10-27-2015, 12:27 PM
Know I'm old but did Orange Bowl buy out the Liberty Bowl? Sure thought we playedin OB last year??????

Wow. That was quite the brainfart. What's crazy is that I didn't mean two years ago, I really meant last year and somehow completely forgot a sort of important bowl game.

My only defense is I watched the Orange Bowl in person and the game itself was pretty psychologically painful, so maybe my mind is trying to suppress the memory.

mstatefan91
10-27-2015, 12:33 PM
There's no guarantee of that. It all depends on how Florida does. Provided the SEC champion makes it to the playoffs (which might not happen if a two loss team wins), the top SEC team will go to the playoff, the second best team will go to the SUgar, and the third best team will go to the Capital One. After that, the conference will basically decide the order. If we win out and LSU wins out except for Bama, the order could be LSU in the playoffs, Florida in Sugar bowl, and Bama as an at large in one of the other NY 6 bowls, leaving us in the capital one.

If we're not the best remaining SEC team after the at large selection in the NY 6 bowls, we could end up anywhere from Texas to Charlotte. I think we won't be sent to the Gator Bowl because we've been there twice relatively recently. Liberty Bowl would be unlikely since we went last year, except that it makes sense geographically.

I understand. There is a lot of football left. That's my point.

sleepy dawg
10-27-2015, 12:38 PM
I had a pretty damn good time in Jacksonville. And as far as the game itself goes, it has the best memory attached to it as well.

blacklistedbully
10-27-2015, 04:35 PM
I want the most prestigious bowl we can get, regardless of location, except for those assholes at the Outback. Screw them.

BayouDawg
10-27-2015, 05:04 PM
If we go 9-3 I think we'd probably get the citrus bowl, or atleast that's the one I would want. I definitely wouldn't mind goin to universal or Disney for a few days after the game. We went to Disney on the way back from Miami last year and had a blast. It was a good way to recover from a not so great game by the dawgs

Barkman Turner Overdrive
10-27-2015, 05:05 PM
I want the most prestigious bowl we can get, regardless of location, except for those assholes at the Outback. Screw them.

Seriously?!?! I would love to go to the Outback Bowl. If we do and, if their season continues to tank, I will give Outback gift certificates to every UNM Rebal on my Christmas list.

blacklistedbully
10-27-2015, 06:31 PM
Seriously?!?! I would love to go to the Outback Bowl. If we do and, if their season continues to tank, I will give Outback gift certificates to every UNM Rebal on my Christmas list.

Do you know their history with us?

Barkman Turner Overdrive
10-27-2015, 06:36 PM
Do you know their history with us?

Snubbed us in 1999. We went to the Peach instead.

TUSK
10-27-2015, 11:34 PM
Wait, y'all would declne a better bowl bc of a past business decision?

Ifyouonlyknew
10-27-2015, 11:36 PM
If the Outback wanted us we should skip to Tampa. Who cares what happened almost 20yrs ago. Most of our players couldn't even read when it happened.

Todd4State
10-27-2015, 11:41 PM
If the Outback wanted us we should skip to Tampa. Who cares what happened almost 20yrs ago. Most of our players couldn't even read when it happened.

And some of Ole Miss's still can't.

MSUDawg4Life
10-27-2015, 11:44 PM

You've been on this board long enough to know we have lots of stupid fans.

RougeDawg
10-27-2015, 11:45 PM

Yep, we have some who dwell on the insignificant past. Same group who love 11 am kickoffs, hate black outs, gold cleats, and everything else that our potential recruits would love. Same old Mississippi State fans stuck in the shitty past and the reason we were stuck in it for so long. They'd rather further their own agendas or grudges instead of progress forward as a united fan base trying to take our program to the next level.

Todd4State
10-27-2015, 11:48 PM

Hell no Scott wouldn't.

And to be honest the Outback Bowl snub has some urban myth to it.

I was in the band at that time and many of us were disappointed that we didn't get picked for the Outback Bowl. What we were told in the band was that the Outback wanted to be a SEC East bowl. And sure enough between 1998 all the way to 2009 they took SEC East teams.

That was why we got snubbed.

Todd4State
10-27-2015, 11:50 PM
Yep, we have some who dwell on the insignificant past. Same group who love 11 am kickoffs, hate black outs, gold cleats, and everything else that our potential recruits would love. Same old Mississippi State fans stuck in the shitty past and the reason we were stuck in it for so long. They'd rather further their own agendas or grudges instead of progress forward as a united fan base trying to take our program to the next level.

Wait- there are people that LOVE 11 AM kickoffs?

RougeDawg
10-27-2015, 11:53 PM
And some of Ole Miss's still can't.

Y'all see Oher the other night during the game? I don't even think he can tell you what 911 stands for.

The biggest miracle workers are the coaches who have actually contributed and connected with the Oher's, Powe's, and the other Bear ACT miracles.

Todd4State
10-28-2015, 12:02 AM
Y'all see Oher the other night during the game? I don't even think he can tell you what 911 stands for.

The biggest miracle workers are the coaches who have actually contributed and connected with the Oher's, Powe's, and the other Bear ACT miracles.

The wizard of Wayne County.

DancingRabbit
10-28-2015, 12:08 AM
Wait- there are people that LOVE 11 AM kickoffs?

I think there's some basis for wanting an 11am kickoff on the road. I've never been one to boycott Outback though. Never have complained about alternate unis even though I tend to be a traditionalist personally.

bulldawg28
10-28-2015, 12:08 AM
The players would rather go to Florida any year over Nashville. Due to how well Dak is playing I expect a large bowl game.

TUSK
10-28-2015, 12:40 AM
Guys (Todd and Rouge esp).... you mfers are cracking me smooth the fvck up... remind me to whack someone for each of yall....

beretta
10-28-2015, 04:35 AM
I saw some foreshadowing this past saturday.....since i live in oxford now, I'm forced to alternate om/msu games with my wife....so this past weekend it was the grove (i get the bama game)....anyway, plane is flying over the grove/campus/stadium pulling the "OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE (and logo) #hottytoddy"

I was like, ok.....1. bad marketing choice of crowd
2. these mfers are going to end up in tampa for outback bowl and they can have it

Hell no Scott wouldn't.

And to be honest the Outback Bowl snub has some urban myth to it.

I was in the band at that time and many of us were disappointed that we didn't get picked for the Outback Bowl. What we were told in the band was that the Outback wanted to be a SEC East bowl. And sure enough between 1998 all the way to 2009 they took SEC East teams.

That was why we got snubbed.

Beaver
10-28-2015, 09:04 AM
I had a pretty damn good time in Jacksonville. And as far as the game itself goes, it has the best memory attached to it as well.

It was fun in 2010. Not so much in 2012.

BrunswickDawg
10-28-2015, 09:14 AM
It was fun in 2010. Not so much in 2012.

Truth - but I'll never complain about getting to go to a bowl that is an hour from my house.

2006Dawg
10-28-2015, 09:39 AM
I've never understood the continued "boycott" of Outback based on something that happened 16+ years ago. If we cannot get into the Capitol One or one of the Access Bowls, then I would be ecstatic to head down to Tampa. On the other hand, I would much prefer Nashville over Jacksonville.

Drugdog
10-28-2015, 11:25 AM
People that love 11:00 kick offs also like VCR's, Dial up Internet , cassette players, New Coke, water mattresses, Fresca, Riddell shorts and shoes, Pay phones, rabbit ear antennas , shag carpeting, Olive Green Appliances, and Mood Rings.

blacklistedbully
10-28-2015, 11:30 AM
You've been on this board long enough to know we have lots of stupid fans.

You among them. Sometimes it's better to send a message to those who have shit on you before, else you invite being shit on again and again. It's not as if anyone is suggesting we don't go to a bowl at all, rather we go to one of the other, also good ones.

MSUDawg4Life
10-28-2015, 11:36 AM
You among them. Sometimes it's better to send a message to those who have shit on you before, else you invite being shit on again and again. It's not as if anyone is suggesting we don't go to a bowl at all, rather we go to one of the other, also good ones.

"Throw a rock into a pack of dogs. The one that hollers is the one you hit."

Just calling it as I see it, man. Pull your panties out of your ass.

blacklistedbully
10-28-2015, 11:50 AM

I don't hate 11:00 kickoffs, black outs, gold cleats or other things that our potential recruits would love. I'm not stuck in the shitty past (preacher matt & I were the most optimistic preseason last year, and I was again this year). I don't prefer to further my own agenda, etc.

Way to make a completely ignorant statement that makes multiple inaccurate assumptions. Moronic to try to support a theory with false assumptions.

As long as these bowl committees have some latitude in who they choose, including the ability to skip over a more-deserving team, it is not a bad idea to let them know we pay attention to the ones who have shafted us. It may just make another bowl committee think twice before screwing us down-the-road.

I'd work with the SEC offices letting them know we'd prefer to take a bowl either one-step above or 1-step below. Not saying they would for sure accommodate us, but I'd sure as hell give it a try, at least behind the scenes.

That could also give us the opportunity to show another bowl how much we appreciate their past support of us.

blacklistedbully
10-28-2015, 11:54 AM
"Throw a rock into a pack of dogs. The one that hollers is the one you hit."

Just calling it as I see it, man. Pull your panties out of your ass.

Ah, so you taking a shot at me, and me defending myself = me having "my panties up my ass".

Imbecile. Why don't you try growing a pair and consider sending a strong message to those who have screwed you over? Kinda like standing up to a bully if you want the bullying to stop.

But then, perhaps you're the type who prefers to keep handing over your lunch money.

BayouDawg
10-28-2015, 12:26 PM
I heard the reason we got the peach instead of the Outback in 99 was because Templeton screwed it up somehow. I can't remember the exact details I was like 8 at the time, but I remember my dad and uncle talking about it in the car on the way to Atlanta for the Peach Bowl. Personally I'm glad we went to the peach. The GA dome > the bucs stadium all day every day.

MSUDawg4Life
10-28-2015, 12:54 PM
Ah, so you taking a shot at me, and me defending myself = me having "my panties up my ass".

Imbecile. Why don't you try growing a pair and consider sending a strong message to those who have screwed you over? Kinda like standing up to a bully if you want the bullying to stop.

But then, perhaps you're the type who prefers to keep handing over your lunch money.

You're an idiot.

First of all, the Outback Bowl made a business decision. Bowls are businesses. That's how the participating schools get paid ... business decisions. Every year, there are schools whose fan bases feel they should have been selected over some other school. It happens every freakin' year because ... business decisions.

Secondly, how are you protesting when the organization you're "protesting" against doesn't know you're protesting? Outback Steakhouse doesn't know you're protesting. The Outback Bowl doesn't know you're protesting. Even if they did know, they wouldn't give a shit. Still going strong after all of these years.

Thirdly, it's utterly ridiculous that you think our administration should turn down a bowl or our fans shouldn't show up to support our team because you got your feelings hurt sixteen years ago. I sincerely hope Scott Stricklin and our fans are smarter than that and will show up to to support our team wherever we are invited to play.

I feel sorry for you and your kind. If you're not intelligent enough to know all bowls make business decisions and think we should still hold a grudge after nearly twenty years, there's no hope for you. You're solidly in that group that I call "stupid fans" and I'm glad you don't represent the majority of MSU fans.

Good day.

DancingRabbit
10-28-2015, 01:14 PM
I heard the reason we got the peach instead of the Outback in 99 was because Templeton screwed it up somehow. I can't remember the exact details I was like 8 at the time, but I remember my dad and uncle talking about it in the car on the way to Atlanta for the Peach Bowl. Personally I'm glad we went to the peach. The GA dome > the bucs stadium all day every day.

I don't recall that LT screwed it up but that's certainly possible. Maybe they wanted us to guarantee more ticket sales than LT was comfortable with. As I recall, the word was that the Outback Bowl didn't think we would bring enough fans.

While the higher payout bowls were supposed to take teams based on their record, it was not an absolute requirement. The previous year the Outback snubbed Georgia, taking a 7-4 Kentucky team over the 8-3 Georgia Bulldogs. And they seemed to prefer East division teams; from '97 to '08 they only took teams from the East.

sandwolf
10-28-2015, 02:14 PM
I sincerely hope Scott Stricklin and our fans are smarter than that and will show up to to support our team wherever we are invited to play.

He is and they are.....thank God.

blacklistedbully
10-28-2015, 02:48 PM
You're an idiot.

First of all, the Outback Bowl made a business decision. Bowls are businesses. That's how the participating schools get paid ... business decisions. Every year, there are schools whose fan bases feel they should have been selected over some other school. It happens every freakin' year because ... business decisions.

If a bowl committee knows that a school may tell them to pound sound in the future in retaliation for a snub, then they can make a "business decision" on whether or not they should screw that school. While it is true there are fan bases who feel passed over every year, that has NO BEARING on whether or not we should court another bowl instead of the one that screwed us. In business, sometimes you make a "business decision" that sacrifices short-term gain in favor of future considerations.

Secondly, how are you protesting when the organization you're "protesting" against doesn't know you're protesting? Outback Steakhouse doesn't know you're protesting. The Outback Bowl doesn't know you're protesting. Even if they did know, they wouldn't give a shit. Still going strong after all of these years.

If a bowl offers you a slot and you tell them you are choosing another bowl over them due to past snubbing, the committee knows. It is the bowl committee we are sending a message to, not Outback Steakhouse, moron. Nobody has suggested boycotting the restaurant, idiot!

Thirdly, it's utterly ridiculous that you think our administration should turn down a bowl or our fans shouldn't show up to support our team because you got your feelings hurt sixteen years ago. I sincerely hope Scott Stricklin and our fans are smarter than that and will show up to to support our team wherever we are invited to play.

Nobody suggested our fans not show up as a form of protest. The suggestion was to choose another bowl. The SEC has some input on who goes to which Bowl. Not sure of bowl pecking order this year, as it appears to change, but as an example, I would ask the SEC to inform the Outback Committee MSU would prefer to go to the Peach, or Cotton, or some other same-tier bowl.

I feel sorry for you and your kind. If you're not intelligent enough to know all bowls make business decisions and think we should still hold a grudge after nearly twenty years, there's no hope for you. You're solidly in that group that I call "stupid fans" and I'm glad you don't represent the majority of MSU fans.
I'd put my IQ up against yours any day and twice on Sundays, not that I get the impression that would be any great feat. With you the bar would not be especially high. You have so much ignorance in your posts, it's apparent you're no mental giant. You make assumptions that don't exist. That's on good sign you're not too bright.

So, when an imbecile like you considers me, "stupid", I feel pretty good, because an imbecile might hold that opinion, not being smart enough to know better. Also indicative of your stupidity is your assumption that your POV is the one shared by the majority. So take you, "Straw Man Moron" act elsewhere, loser.
Good day.

Good day, dumbass!

blacklistedbully
10-28-2015, 02:56 PM
Good day, dumbass!

Oh and another thing, to consider and/or call another fan, "stupid" because they don't share your opinion on a certain subject is the real sign of a lack-of-intelligence. It's making generalizations based on extremely limited input.

In reality, you haven't the slightest clue how, "smart" I am or am not. While I also can't be entirely sure of yours, your approach to this debate strongly suggest you are, indeed something of a moron.

curmudgeon
10-28-2015, 03:22 PM
I know with 100% certainty that the Outback Bowl controversy of 1999 was fan-created. Here was the bowl pecking order of the day:

1. BCS/Sugar
2. BCS At-Large
3. Citrus
4. Outback
5. Peach

Florida was going to the Sugar Bowl, Tennessee to the Fiesta as an at-large. We were 10-2 and slated to go to the Citrus Bowl. The Outback Bowl was promised either Florida or Tennessee. Alabama won the SEC Championship game over a favored Florida team and screwed everything up.

It was expected that Florida would get the at-large bid, and Tennessee would just drop to the Outback, and MSU would go to the Citrus as planned. Fiesta wanted Tennessee back (who had won the '98 championship at the Fiesta) With Florida suddenly available, the Citrus grabbed Florida. The Outback Bowl was given the choice between Georgia and Mississippi State. They chose Georgia because they had committed to being an SEC East Bowl, and the Peach grabbed MSU.

The blame for the Great Outback Bowl Controversy of 1999 has as much to do with the Fiesta and Citrus Bowls as it did the Outback.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-28-2015, 03:44 PM
I appreciate the passion on both sides of the argument but it's been 16yrs don't some of you guys think it is time to put the picket signs away? If the Outback Bowl wanted us we would accept in a heartbeat & with good reason. It's a good bowl, in a good city, & it would be a new experience for the players, coaches, & fans.

MSUDawg4Life
10-28-2015, 04:11 PM
I appreciate the passion on both sides of the argument but it's been 16yrs don't some of you guys think it is time to put the picket signs away? If the Outback Bowl wanted us we would accept in a heartbeat & with good reason. It's a good bowl, in a good city, & it would be a new experience for the players, coaches, & fans.

Of course, we would. We would accept the bowl and our real fans would show up to support our team. Period.