PDA

View Full Version : Pete Thamel Coaching Search Article

ShotgunDawg
10-26-2015, 10:58 PM
Pete Thamel just wrote an informative article on candidates for the open jobs and jobs that are likely to open.

He only mentions Mullen as a candidate for one job, and that's the USC job.

I take that as a sign of the major strides that our program has taken over the past 7 years. 3 years ago, Mullen was candidate for virtually every open job in college football but now he is only a candidate for one of the top 3 jobs in college football. That is progress and increases the status of the MSU coaching job. These articles are written after speaking with agents and others. Mullen has apparently made it known that he'd only leave MSU for an absolutely elite job.

Is Mullen a candidate for the USC job? I don't know, but I personally believe he should be. That program needs stability, consistency, and someone who can develop players. That said, I obviously hope USC doesn't agree with me

https://mobile.twitter.com/sipetethamel/status/658794967247298562

sleepy dawg
10-26-2015, 11:05 PM
Pete Thamel just wrote an informative article on candidates for the open jobs and jobs that are likely to open.

He only mentions Mullen as a candidate for one job, and that's the USC job.

I take that as a sign of the major strides that our program has taken over the past 7 years. 3 years ago, Mullen was candidate for virtually every open job in college football but now he is only a candidate for one of the top 3 jobs in college football. That is progress and increases the status of the MSU coaching job. These articles are written after speaking with agents and others. Mullen has apparently made it known that he'd only leave MSU for an absolutely elite job.

Is Mullen a candidate for the USC job? I don't know, but I personally believe he should be. That program needs stability, consistency, and someone who can develop players. That said, I obviously hope USC doesn't agree with me

https://mobile.twitter.com/sipetethamel/status/658794967247298562

I concur. That's what many of us have said all along.

Todd4State
10-26-2015, 11:27 PM
I would be floored and absolutely shocked if USCw came after Dan. I don't mean that as a slight at Dan, but he doesn't seem like an SC guy.

I think they are going to want someone that will run a pro style offense as well.

blacklistedbully
10-26-2015, 11:49 PM
I would be floored and absolutely shocked if USCw came after Dan. I don't mean that as a slight at Dan, but he doesn't seem like an SC guy.

I think they are going to want someone that will run a pro style offense as well.

No loyalty over there, and a short string. That's the kind of job that could look very attractive at first, but end up leading to a major step back before you know it. USCw would not have near the leeway Dan has at MSU.

ScottH
10-27-2015, 12:14 AM
My oh my poor lil MSU has come a long way.

According to the salary list I saw, MSU paid more than all the currently open jobs. Now USCe and USCw were virtually the same as MSU but the point still stands.

Now Mullen (or any other coach) may leave but it won't be because they multiply their salary.

Thank you SEC.

Charlie_Sheen420
10-27-2015, 12:21 AM
I worry about the Georgia job coming open....I want Dan to stay for life at State, I think he's a great fit.

Todd4State
10-27-2015, 12:28 AM
No loyalty over there, and a short string. That's the kind of job that could look very attractive at first, but end up leading to a major step back before you know it. USCw would not have near the leeway Dan has at MSU.

Heck, they didn't want Carroll at first either. Until he started winning big.

This may not be a popular opinion since everyone hates him, but I think they probably should have just stuck with Lane Kiffen through probation and gone from there. They were going to take a step back no matter who the coach was.

The thing about Dan is you don't have to worry about him being drunk all the time like Sark and he's a lot more personable than Kiffen- aside from the woman he told to get a ticket to last week. But he also makes coaching mistakes that a place like USC would KILL him for. There would be no "ah, gee I guess I shouldn't have taken all of our starters out at the beginning of the fourth quarter against LSU".

Todd4State
10-27-2015, 12:30 AM
I worry about the Georgia job coming open....I want Dan to stay for life at State, I think he's a great fit.

Freeze is going to BEG for that job. I doubt he would get it, but I know he wants it.

Dawg61
10-27-2015, 12:46 AM
Unless a head coach gets fired at an SEC school he won't be switching jobs to another SEC school. Slive made that no longer an option. We don't pick off each other's head coaches. Assistants are still fair game though.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-27-2015, 08:41 AM
You know he wants it? Has he publicly said this or you know him personally and heard him say it?

C222
10-27-2015, 08:43 AM
He also mentions Geoff Collins and Manny for the UCF job.

Johnson85
10-27-2015, 09:42 AM

I think Mullen's confidence/ego is big enough that he won't worry about that; he would assume that with USCw's advantages, he will win early and big. I would still be surprised if he was interested. Doesn't seem like USCw fits him, and he already has a team built here for the next few years. Unless we are grossly overestimating the talent he has built up, I'm guessing he will want to stay and enjoy the fruits of what he has built and show that he has really taken this program to the next level, where 8 regular season wins is the floor instead of 6 and the up years are competing to be in the playoff, not trying to get to 9 wins.

Taog Redloh
10-27-2015, 09:48 AM
Freeze is going to BEG for that job. I doubt he would get it, but I know he wants it.
I'm calling BS. Freeze is exactly where he wants to be, like it or not. As far as Georgia, ALL coaches would like a situation like that, but that doesn't mean they'd take the job.

If Freeze was going to leave, his chance was last year for Florida. Perfect talent for what he likes to do.

BrunswickDawg
10-27-2015, 09:53 AM
I think Mullen's confidence/ego is big enough that he won't worry about that; he would assume that with USCw's advantages, he will win early and big. I would still be surprised if he was interested. Doesn't seem like USCw fits him, and he already has a team built here for the next few years. Unless we are grossly overestimating the talent he has built up, I'm guessing he will want to stay and enjoy the fruits of what he has built and show that he has really taken this program to the next level, where 8 regular season wins is the floor instead of 6 and the up years are competing to be in the playoff, not trying to get to 9 wins.

What gets interesting is if USC repeats what they did after Kiffin got left at the parking lot. They have 5 winnable games remaining. Win those and they have to give Clay Helton a serious look at 6-1. I bet a lot of their on field problems were due to the team not being willing to play for a guy who was visibly (to them) out of control.

Coach34
10-27-2015, 09:55 AM
I'm calling BS. Freeze is exactly where he wants to be, like it or not. As far as Georgia, ALL coaches would like a situation like that, but that doesn't mean they'd take the job.

If Freeze was going to leave, his chance was last year for Florida. Perfect talent for what he likes to do.

Freeze told a friend of mine he would crawl to Georgia for that job. Most view it as the "Bama of the East" and feel like Richt is wasting his op

TrapGame
10-27-2015, 09:56 AM
If Freeze takes another coaching job at the end of the year...get ready for the NCAA to nuke Oxford.

Coach34
10-27-2015, 09:58 AM
If Mullen beats Bama- u can bet USCw will give him a call

LanceHarbor
10-27-2015, 10:01 AM
No team in America does less with more than UGA. They are like the trust fund kid that is set up for life, blows his cash on hookers, blow and rehab then ends up marrying the town slut. LSU, may be a close second.

Taog Redloh
10-27-2015, 10:32 AM
No team in America does less with more than UGA. They are like the trust fund kid that is set up for life, blows his cash on hookers, blow and rehab then ends up marrying the town slut. LSU, may be a close second.
Agree on Georgia, but you done bumped your head on LSU. They have a national title, a national runner-up (should have won this one too over Oklahoma State), and 2 SEC championships in the last 10 years alone. Also won a BCS bowl game and a Cotton Bowl.

HaggardDawg
10-27-2015, 10:46 AM
Georgia is our biggest threat in losing Mullen eventually.

DancingRabbit
10-27-2015, 10:48 AM

That was all agent fiction. I don't think Florida was interested or vice versa.

TrapGame
10-27-2015, 10:50 AM
Georgia is our biggest threat in losing Mullen eventually.

Since when?

ScottH
10-27-2015, 11:06 AM
That was all agent fiction. I don't think Florida was interested or vice versa.

I agree.

Simple case of BeeYork is an amateur. Sexton is a pro. Freeze got a raise.

Coach34
10-27-2015, 03:54 PM
Since when?

Both coaches covet the Georgia job. And Georgia's AD is Mullen's buddy

Jack Lambert
10-27-2015, 04:16 PM
I think Sumerlin is going to run if he can.

HaggardDawg
10-27-2015, 05:02 PM
And Mullen has a lake house near Athens.

TrapGame
10-27-2015, 05:06 PM

Well, damn.

Mjoelner34
10-27-2015, 05:15 PM

Yeah, but if he takes that job, he'll have to buy one at Oktibbeha County Lake. The Athens lake house will be too close to work. **

Charlie_Sheen420
10-27-2015, 05:32 PM
Is there any truth to the fact another SEC school can't hire another SEC school's current head coach? I figured if another school wants another coach bad enough and the coach wants to leave, it'll happen....

Coach34
10-27-2015, 05:42 PM
Is there any truth to the fact another SEC school can't hire another SEC school's current head coach? I figured if another school wants another coach bad enough and the coach wants to leave, it'll happen....

Slive really did squash alot of that- what happens moving forward? Who knows

Todd4State
10-27-2015, 05:45 PM
Slive really did squash alot of that- what happens moving forward? Who knows

This is what some people are forgetting- Slive isn't around anymore. Things like other schools not being allowed to poach coaches may or may not be a thing of the past.

ShotgunDawg
10-27-2015, 06:02 PM

I'm gonna disagree. This title Falls squarely to Texas A&M and I'm not sure why more people don't realize it.

1. A&M has more money than UGA. LOTS MORE

2. A&M has a bigger stadium

3. A&M has more population within 3 hours of campus. UGA has about 7 million within 3 hours and A&M has around 12-13 million

4. A&M has less legitimate competitors for recruits witchin 3 hours. Texas, TCU, & Baylor. UGA has Aubun, Clemson, GT, South Carolina, & Tennessee and almost Alabama.

5. Texas high school football is generally considered the strongest in the Unites States.

A&M does less with more than almost any conceivable measure.

Dawgowar
10-27-2015, 06:54 PM

No doubt, but Vince Dooley still casts a long shadow on the Athens campus. He is still proud to remind everyone how much he likes Richt and "Mark was my last hire"

Vince will have to buy in to canning the current staff. His presence is worse than the ghost of Bear in Tuscaloosa.

The coaching biz is fluid. Fact of life and the sword cuts both ways. I dare say there are several on this board who said something to the effect "we need to hire an up and coming coach who will stay here for a few seasons and fix this mess" during the Croom train wreck. Would suck to lose Dan but we can compete for another driven, hard working, coach and staff. I just hope we have to do it much later rather than sooner.