PDA

View Full Version : Looks like plan B for a pitching coach

Wade Garrett
10-26-2015, 01:32 PM
Kendall Rogers ‏@KendallRogersD1 1m1 minute ago
#CalStateFullerton's Jason Dietrich said he enjoyed his trip to #HailState. "Got the royal treatment, but time not right." @HailStateBB

mparkerfd20
10-26-2015, 01:35 PM
Well shit

ScottH
10-26-2015, 01:36 PM
Obviously not a done deal.

And next up for public sloppy seconds is.....

This has the makings of a cluster.

Taog Redloh
10-26-2015, 01:36 PM
Yeah that sucks

ScoobaDawg
10-26-2015, 01:38 PM
Well crap... Illinois or DBU coach next?

mparkerfd20
10-26-2015, 01:41 PM
Who was 2nd on the list? Surely someone has the list that D1 posted by now.

CadaverDawg
10-26-2015, 01:43 PM
Not good. Now the next guy knows he was not our first choice. Bad look

ScoobaDawg
10-26-2015, 01:44 PM
and i guess this shows there was not pre-arranged agreement for him to turn down a HC position earlier in the year...

ScottH
10-26-2015, 01:46 PM
Who was 2nd on the list? Surely someone has the list that D1 posted by now.

As I recall....

Illinois
Ohio
Va Tech
Dallas Bap

Irondawg
10-26-2015, 01:48 PM
guess the wife didn't like Mississippi

ScoobaDawg
10-26-2015, 01:49 PM
As I recall....

Illinois
Ohio
Va Tech
Dallas Bap

That was the order of the Kendall last wasn't it? which I dont believe was in any special order.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-26-2015, 01:51 PM
Same thing happened to Avery Johnson...didnt affect his recruiting at all....

Saltydog
10-26-2015, 01:56 PM
nt

ScottH
Same thing happened to Avery Johnson...didnt affect his recruiting at all....

Ok I admit this is a smart ass question but did Avery send out a tweet ahead of time like Cohen did?

bulldogcountry1
The position has to be right for all parties. No need to panic because a guy from Cali wasn't the one.

ScottH
That was the order of the Kendall last wasn't it? which I dont believe was in any special order.

I don't think there was any order of preference.

mparkerfd20
10-26-2015, 02:00 PM
As I recall....

Illinois
Ohio
Va Tech
Dallas Bap

So is this list right? Just trying to get the names right to keep an eye out for.

In no order:
Drew Dickson
Rob Smith from Ohio??
Robert Woodard
Wes Johnson

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-26-2015, 02:01 PM
What? Cohen is the head coach....Avery was not even hired? What is your point here?
Avery was not Bama's first choice..

AlSwearengen
10-26-2015, 02:25 PM
Could be any number of things. I would love to know his current salary vs. what we offered him, assuming it got to that point. I wonder how much time he and cohen spent talking on the phone. My first thoughts would be that he and Cohen's personalities or philosophies don't mesh or small town Starkville isn't where he wants to live.

There had to be serious initial interest considering what cohen was saying and others were reporting.

ScottH
10-26-2015, 02:31 PM
Wouldn't have been about $$$.

CSF Head coach was at 140k a year ago. Cohen is 650k+++.

I was told Butch was among top 5 highest paid assistants in the country.

Dietrich would have easily more than doubled maybe tripled his salary.

SEC, 2x-3x salary, 40MM stadium, Cohen's tweet all but announcing hire - something just doesn't add up.

About all it could be is Cohen, Starkville, Mama or a combination.

War Machine Dawg
10-26-2015, 02:48 PM
Wes Johnson.
http://i.imgur.com/hlKnWzJ.gif

AlSwearengen
10-26-2015, 03:31 PM
Dietrich also might not want to hitch his coaching wagon to Cohen's coaching wagon. I don't expect it, but another year like last year and Cohen could be job hunting.

bulldogcountry1
10-26-2015, 03:35 PM
I wasn't looking forward to all our fans mispronouncing his name, anyway.

I'm sure Cohen had a list, and he didn't throw that list out the window when Dietrich got there.

MsStateBaseball
10-26-2015, 03:36 PM
My guess is he wants to be head coach somewhere. He prob interviewed out of courtesy. He almost got a HC job last year. And I would bet he gets one next summer.

I would go with Wes Johnson.

preachermatt83
10-26-2015, 04:01 PM
Wes Johnson.
http://i.imgur.com/hlKnWzJ.gif

This

Bothrops
10-26-2015, 04:14 PM
Kinda weird but maybe too much of a culture shock for the missus.

Todd4State
10-26-2015, 04:23 PM
This may end up being a blessing. If it wasn't right for Dietrich- ALL of us would suffer.

Plus, we might end up with the guy I wanted all along- Wes Johnson.

It has got to be easier to convince kids from Texas to come to MSU that it would have been to convince kids from California.

Todd4State
10-26-2015, 04:26 PM
Kinda weird but maybe too much of a culture shock for the missus.

I have to wonder if Gene freaked him out. Gene "just happened" to be at the same restaurant that Cohen and Dietrich were at and I'm pretty sure Gene goof trooped it up. At the very least I'm pretty sure he didn't represent our fan base well.

HoopsDawg
10-26-2015, 04:26 PM
Doesn't really make sense for Dietrich to leave Fullerton at this stage of his career unless it's for a head coaching job. He just used this opportunity to raise his profile. I bet he's a head coach within 2 years.

Todd4State
10-26-2015, 04:32 PM
Doesn't really make sense for Dietrich to leave Fullerton at this stage of his career unless it's for a head coaching job. He just used this opportunity to raise his profile. I bet he's a head coach within 2 years.

SEC is > whatever mid major conference that Cal State- Fullerton is in plus when he does get that head coaching job he would have some ties to the south for recruiting, plus a pay raise.

So, I think it would have made sense for Dietrich to come here from that standpoint. But if he feels like it's not right, I don't fault him. And it sounds like MSU had some reservations as well.

HoopsDawg
10-26-2015, 06:20 PM
SEC is > whatever mid major conference that Cal State- Fullerton is in plus when he does get that head coaching job he would have some ties to the south for recruiting, plus a pay raise.

So, I think it would have made sense for Dietrich to come here from that standpoint. But if he feels like it's not right, I don't fault him. And it sounds like MSU had some reservations as well.

Nah, MSU pitching coach is only slightly better than Cal State Fullerton pitching coach. No need to switch jobs if you are close to a head gig.

HancockCountyDog
10-26-2015, 06:31 PM
Nah, MSU pitching coach is only slightly better than Cal State Fullerton pitching coach. No need to switch jobs if you are close to a head gig.

My guess is that he leveraged a better contract with his current gig by coming down here.

Either that or Cohen went Cohen. Lol

Homedawg
10-26-2015, 06:34 PM
[QUOTE=Irondawg;437458]guess the wife didn't like Mississippi[/QUO

I'm sure he got a better deal. However, even w that, he turned down way more money and WAY less in cost of living. This wasn't about money.....sorry copied wrong post somehow. Either way you would be correct!

I seen it dawg
10-26-2015, 08:40 PM
He was gonna have to wear all of Butchs leftover muu muus. Deal breaker.

HSVDawg
10-26-2015, 09:13 PM
What? Cohen is the head coach....Avery was not even hired? What is your point here?
Avery was not Bama's first choice..

I'll tell you who else wasn't Bama's first choice...Nick Saban. They actually hired Rich Rod for like a day before he renigged on them. Then everybody laughed at how Bama was no longer a big player for coaches anymore and would have to settle for scraps. Yeah....that didn't happen.

baseballfan
10-26-2015, 09:35 PM
so....what now? We need a pitching coach asap.

Skydawg1
10-26-2015, 09:50 PM
I wasn't looking forward to all our fans mispronouncing his name, anyway.Nothing wrong with a diet-rich in fiber.

Schultzy
10-26-2015, 10:00 PM
Somebody's auto-correct is playing jokes on them.

Homedawg
10-26-2015, 10:08 PM
I'll tell you who else wasn't Bama's first choice...Nick Saban. They actually hired Rich Rod for like a day before he renigged on them. Then everybody laughed at how Bama was no longer a big player for coaches anymore and would have to settle for scraps. Yeah....that didn't happen.

That's not exactly true, that's when saban had told them no and no. They thought he wasn't coming and went to rich rod. Then they went back to saban with the last gasp effort and it worked. Miami had dropped a couple more games and the price went up!

MabenMaroon
10-27-2015, 03:52 AM
Probably were discussing game strategies ... "you make your best RBI man bunt with men in scoring position?" ... "you pull uninjured pitchers in mid count?" ... " you went a whole season with Adidas bats?" ... "really! I am so out of here" ... ( just pure speculation , of course )