PDA

View Full Version : Interesting fall baseball numbers

messageboardsuperhero
10-26-2015, 12:59 PM
Last fall the team hit 6 home runs, 27 doubles, and 5 triples. This fall the team hit 14 home runs, 54 doubles, and 10 triples in the same number of games.

Just thought this was worth mentioning. Last season I think I predicted 20-25 home runs and was pretty close- this year I think we hit 35-40 and hit way more doubles/triples. I'm expecting a much better 2016 than 2015.

engie
10-26-2015, 01:31 PM
Agreed

SignalToNoise
10-26-2015, 02:47 PM
That's quite a jump.

Who will be our offensive leaders this year?

Todd4State
10-26-2015, 04:29 PM
That's quite a jump.

Who will be our offensive leaders this year?

Rooker and Collins are the main ones. Luke Reynolds, Robson, and Gridley are going to be good contact hitters and get a lot of hits for us.

We have some wild cards like Kruger, Lowe, and Barfield from the JUCO's that might give us a boost.

HoopsDawg
10-26-2015, 04:30 PM
You think Kruger is an everyday guy? He had a big fall.

Todd4State
10-26-2015, 04:33 PM
You think Kruger is an everyday guy? He had a big fall.

I think he certainly could be. Especially if we move Collins to third. But I also think Marrero is going to play a lot as well.

AlSwearengen
10-26-2015, 06:36 PM
If Kruger can hit during the season like he apparently did in the fall, that would be a great catching situation (assuming he is adequate defensively). It sounds like marrero is the best defensive catcher but should hit enough that the two could platoon. That would give marrero time to come along slowly as well as keep him from hitting that freshman wall.

HoopsDawg
10-26-2015, 06:41 PM
If Kruger can hit during the season like he apparently did in the fall, that would be a great catching situation (assuming he is adequate defensively). It sounds like marrero is the best defensive catcher but should hit enough that the two could platoon. That would give marrero time to come along slowly as well as keep him from hitting that freshman wall.

Yeah, I would love to see Marerro/Kruger platoon with Kruger DH'ing when he's not catching. Rooker needs to be in the lineup everyday this year along with Robson and Reynolds. Cole Gordon will bring some pop to 1B. Maybe Cody Brown and Hump could platoon in the outfield righty/lefty situation. Let's just hope Cohen figures it out before SEC play.

Homedawg
10-26-2015, 06:48 PM
Yeah, I would love to see Marerro/Kruger platoon with Kruger DH'ing when he's not catching. Rooker needs to be in the lineup everyday this year along with Robson and Reynolds. Cole Gordon will bring some pop to 1B. Maybe Cody Brown and Hump could platoon in the outfield righty/lefty situation. Let's just hope Cohen figures it out before SEC play.

I don't think Gordon has won the job at first. Matter of fact- he trails Lowe I feel certain. Not saying it can't turn around, the gap isn't huge, but he doesn't lead.

HoopsDawg
10-26-2015, 06:57 PM
I don't honk Gordon has won the job at first. Matter of fact- he trails Lowe I feel certain. Not saying it can't turn around, the gap isn't huge, but he doesn't lead.

Yeah, that's what Gene says too. Lowe hit .300 with 0 HR's. Gordon hit .260 with 3 HR's. I'm worried Cohen has too many options this spring. He may really over-manage this group. I personally just like Gordon a little more. I would also think about moving Holland back to SS to get Reynolds on the field at 2B.

It's obviously way too early to tell, but here's an interesting lineup to get Gordon and Lowe in the game:

1. Robson, CF
2. Cody Brown, LF
3. Collins, 3B
4. Rooker, RF
5. Kruger, C
6. Gordon, DH
7. Holland, SS
8. Lowe, 1B
9. Reynolds, 2B

Pretty salty.

Homedawg
10-26-2015, 07:14 PM
Yeah, that's what Gene says too. Lowe hit .300 with 0 HR's. Gordon hit .260 with 3 HR's. I'm worried Cohen has too many options this spring. He may really over-manage this group. I personally just like Gordon a little more. I would also think about moving Holland back to SS to get Reynolds on the field at 2B.

It's obviously way too early to tell, but here's an interesting lineup to get Gordon and Lowe in the game:

1. Robson, CF
2. Cody Brown, LF
3. Collins, 3B
4. Rooker, RF
5. Kruger, C
6. Gordon, DH
7. Holland, SS
8. Lowe, 1B
9. Reynolds, 2B

Pretty salty.
That will never happen for one reason- Jc will never sacrifice his mid inf defense. Being able to field AND turn the dp is way up his list of priorities.

Todd4State
10-26-2015, 07:17 PM
Humphreys might pitch some for us next year. Not sure how much at this point, but it's something to watch.

Coach34
10-26-2015, 07:19 PM
Marrero is better defensively than Lovelady? Lovelady was really damn good defensively- just weak at the plate

Homedawg
10-26-2015, 07:20 PM
Humphreys might pitch some for us next year. Not sure how much at this point, but it's something to watch.

I'll never say never , but the outing he got in the fall was bc we were out of pitchers that day.

HoopsDawg
10-26-2015, 07:24 PM
That will never happen for one reason- Jc will never sacrifice his mid inf defense. Being able to field AND turn the dp is way up his list of priorities.

Would we really be sacrificing that much defensively? Holland played SS at FSU and Juco. Gridley made some errors last year. And 2B is Reynolds more natural position. You could platoon Gridley and Reynolds at 2B. Gridley is going to have to step up his offense a little.

Todd4State
10-26-2015, 07:26 PM
Marrero is better defensively than Lovelady? Lovelady was really damn good defensively- just weak at the plate

I wouldn't go that far as to say he is better defensively, but Marrero is probably better all around.

DistrictDawg92
10-26-2015, 07:27 PM
Do y'all think Cohen will primarily play a power hitter in the DH role in 2016? It seems like Cohen usually favors contact hitters in the DH spot like Detz or Reynolds. Is this because our best hitter on the bench is usually a contact hitter due to Cohen's offensive recruiting stategy? Or Cohen prefers to have an extra contact bat in the lineup? (Which wouldn't make sense because we usually only have 1 or 2 true power hitters in the lineup)

There is no way we can have Kruger, Humphries, Lowe, Barfield, Gorden and Rooker in the lineup at the same time, honestly probably only half of those guys will be in the lineup together at the same time. Our DH should come from this game every game this season. It's time to quit being cute with the DH spot, Cohen too often bases his whole lineup, especially DH, on the righty-lefty match ups.

On a related note, the 2016 team will, by far, have the most power potential of Cohen's tenure. Kruger, Humohries, Lowe, Barfield, Gordon, Rooker and Collins can all put the ball out of the park on any given at bat. Throw in speed/average guys like Robson and Gridley with a few contact/double hitters like Holland, Reynolds, Merrero and Cody Brown and I think we have a chance to have our most HR's and highest slugging percentage in a decade. If Cohen can get the right lineup on the field and our pitching staff lives up to its potential, 2016 could be a big year for the diamond dawgs.

Todd4State
10-26-2015, 07:28 PM
Would we really be sacrificing that much defensively? Holland played SS at FSU and Juco. Gridley made some errors last year. And 2B is Reynolds more natural position. You could platoon Gridley and Reynolds at 2B. Gridley is going to have to step up his offense a little.

YES we would be sacrificing a lot of defense with that middle infield. Gridley hit better than Adam Frazier did as a freshman.

HoopsDawg
10-26-2015, 08:22 PM
YES we would be sacrificing a lot of defense with that middle infield. Gridley hit better than Adam Frazier did as a freshman.

Gridley hit .204 in conference play. Frazier did worse than that? Gridley hit .234 this fall and he had a rough summer. I'm just going to have to disagree that he gives us that much defensively. Frankly, your crediblity has taken a big hit with your recent football posts.

Homedawg
10-26-2015, 08:31 PM
Gridley hit .204 in conference play. Frazier did worse than that? Gridley hit .234 this fall and he had a rough summer. I'm just going to have to disagree that he gives us that much defensively. Frankly, your crediblity has taken a big hit with your recent football posts.

I have to agree w Todd, gridley is a big upgrade defensively over Reynolds. Jc didn't like to play him at third last year. The part time move to outfield in the fall tell you even more. Offensively, gridley is no Frazier but he's a ok hitter. No honestly think Alexander will be our ss by the end of the year. Not a promise just an educated guess.

Todd4State
10-26-2015, 09:19 PM

You got me. Frazier hit .222 in SEC play as a freshman. Gridley got hurt this summer and had to return home in the middle of his summer ball season.

And as far as my "credibility" taking a hit from football posts- L. O. L.

Taog Redloh
10-26-2015, 09:20 PM
Marrero is hell behind the plate, just watch him this spring

Todd4State
10-26-2015, 09:21 PM
I have to agree w Todd, gridley is a big upgrade defensively over Reynolds. Jc didn't like to play him at third last year. The part time move to outfield in the fall tell you even more. Offensively, gridley is no Frazier but he's a ok hitter. No honestly think Alexander will be our ss by the end of the year. Not a promise just an educated guess.

I think you are right about Alexander. The glove is ready. Not quite sure about the bat until we play live competition- BUT he did pretty well offensively in the fall. I think we would go with Stovall or Holland and probably even Zinn over Luke Reynolds at second if Gridley can't get it done.

MsStateBaseball
10-26-2015, 09:43 PM
Kruger struck out 3 times this fall. 3. He had over 50 ABs. He will hit every game.

Cody Brown is not a starter. He is a late inning guy. Rooker, Smith, Robson and Hump are ahead of him.

We have a murderers row now. Several players back to back who can hit it out. We will hit more just bc of this.

MsStateBaseball
10-26-2015, 09:47 PM
By far the deepest offensive club Cohen has had. Deep. Don't have a Renfroe. Maybe have a Frazier, we'll see.

Homedawg
10-26-2015, 09:54 PM
I think you are right about Alexander. The glove is ready. Not quite sure about the bat until we play live competition- BUT he did pretty well offensively in the fall. I think we would go with Stovall or Holland and probably even Zinn over Luke Reynolds at second if Gridley can't get it done.

Yea Luke probably will struggle some at the plate much like gridley did. And agree on the middle guys.

Homedawg
10-26-2015, 09:55 PM
By far the deepest offensive club Cohen has had. Deep. Don't have a Renfroe. Maybe have a Frazier, we'll see.

We don't have anyone that's going to hit for as high of an avg as he did. I like our depth too

Homedawg
10-26-2015, 09:57 PM
Kruger struck out 3 times this fall. 3. He had over 50 ABs. He will hit every game.

Cody Brown is not a starter. He is a late inning guy. Rooker, Smith, Robson and Hump are ahead of him.

We have a murderers row now. Several players back to back who can hit it out. We will hit more just bc of this.

Brown will draw plenty of starts. He's a solid defender and an adequate hitter and has decent speed. And he's a gritty competitor......I get it you have hump in there, and he will be early, but I can assure you the leash will be short. And dear goodness I hope we quit putting him in the outfield, he's beyond awful out there.

Todd4State
10-26-2015, 10:14 PM
Brown will draw plenty of starts. He's a solid defender and an adequate hitter and has decent speed. And he's a gritty competitor......I get it you have hump in there, and he will be early, but I can assure you the leash will be short. And dear goodness I hope we quit putting him in the outfield, he's beyond awful out there.

Cody is going to find a way to play a lot. He always does. I agree about Humphreys. That's why him pitching was interesting to me. He was supposed to be a dual position guy for us but scrapped pitching after he had Tommy John. I think our best OF might be Rooker, Robson, and Smith.

MsStateBaseball
10-26-2015, 10:16 PM
Yes it seems the DH spot will be filled w a few players. Cody is so streaky though. I like him, he is a dirtbag but he's not the talent the others are.

The freshmen infielders are really good hitters. Very excited about what they will bring in the spring.

Todd4State
10-26-2015, 10:51 PM
Yes it seems the DH spot will be filled w a few players. Cody is so streaky though. I like him, he is a dirtbag but he's not the talent the others are.

The freshmen infielders are really good hitters. Very excited about what they will bring in the spring.

I think the main DH is going to be Reynolds because he can hit and he can hit doubles- and he may even hit a few home runs with our fences brought in. But he really doesn't have a position in the field unless his defense has improved significantly.