PDA

View Full Version : 4th least penalized team in the country

chef dixon
10-26-2015, 10:44 AM
33 penalties on the year, 4.1 a game, 30ish yards a game.

Good job Mullen. You can kind of notice throughout the course of a game that we don't get a ton so I looked it up.

Dental Dawg33
10-26-2015, 10:49 AM
That is impressive. Good find....good coaching, good dawgs

BeardoMSU
10-26-2015, 10:50 AM
That is impressive. Good find....good coaching, good dawgs

And not something you generally see from a team with as much "youth" as us. Another testament to our coaching and development.

Big4Dawg
10-26-2015, 10:51 AM
It was during halftime or after the game, he mentioned the penalties and said "We had a lot of penalties and that is just something we don't do."

smootness
10-26-2015, 10:54 AM
And not something you generally see from a team with as much "youth" as us. Another testament to our coaching and development.

While I agree with the coaching aspect, and we are starting to see more and more young guys play, we are still a very veteran team overall. An overwhelming majority of our starters are upperclassmen.

BeardoMSU
10-26-2015, 11:05 AM
While I agree with the coaching aspect, and we are starting to see more and more young guys play, we are still a very veteran team overall. An overwhelming majority of our starters are upperclassmen.

That's why I had youth in parentheses, Smoot. We may have new starters across the board, but they are far from new faces to SEC football. Still shows how prepared our boys are due to coaching, particularly along the offensive line. The lack of false-starts we've had (not to jinx us, *knock on wood*) is very nice to see.

smootness
10-26-2015, 11:10 AM
Yeah, good point. The lack of penalties seems to be a pretty consistent thing over Mullen's time. I don't have the stats on it, so we may not have been as good as I think, but it seems like several of his teams have been very good about not accruing penalties. Especially compared with some of our past coaches.

The most impressive thing to me is that we're still being aggressive up front and laying the wood on people while still avoiding penalties.

BeardoMSU
10-26-2015, 11:14 AM
The most impressive thing to me is that we're still being aggressive up front and laying the wood on people while still avoiding penalties.

Yeah, other than the late hit that erased the pick-6, we've been doing well to avoid the stupid penalties. Not a lot of pass-interference, either...though Jiles did tackle that KY player in the endzone, but fortunately, they had to settle for a field-goal.

chef dixon
10-26-2015, 11:14 AM
Yeah, good point. The lack of penalties seems to be a pretty consistent thing over Mullen's time. I don't have the stats on it, so we may not have been as good as I think, but it seems like several of his teams have been very good about not accruing penalties. Especially compared with some of our past coaches.

Last year we were 36th total penalties/ 18th in yards, 2013 we were 37th/26th, 2012 we were 21st/25th.

So yea we are typically good at this.

Really Clark?
10-26-2015, 11:16 AM

We have never been worse than 5th in the league under Mullen. Finished 2nd last year.

shoeless joe
10-26-2015, 11:23 AM
Discipline off the field correlates directly to discipline on the field.

This is why I some times question dan's decisions I don't get all up in arms or question his motives.

Big4Dawg
10-26-2015, 11:25 AM
Yeah, other than the late hit that erased the pick-6, we've been doing well to avoid the stupid penalties. Not a lot of pass-interference, either...though Jiles did tackle that KY player in the endzone, but fortunately, they had to settle for a field-goal.

I think a late hit shouldn't erase a interception since the definition of a late hit is after the QB has thrown the ball - so it should not have affected the QB throwing an interception. It should more be like a 10 yard penalty block-in-the-back.