PDA

View Full Version : Red Zone Defense ranked #4 nationally in TD%

Irondawg
10-26-2015, 09:14 AM
And #1 in P5 teams at 33% success rate.

Downside is that we're 69th in # of attempts. Bend don't break has been pretty darn good this year although it makes me nervous.

21st overall in scoring defense, 9th in tackles for loss and 26th in sacks, 17th in fewest 20+ yard plays so pretty darn respectable.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category27/sort05.html

Political Hack
10-26-2015, 09:33 AM
Scoring D is all that matters.

Lance Harbor
10-26-2015, 09:45 AM

?

Leroy Jenkins
10-26-2015, 09:49 AM

Good TD numbers for sure. It still would be nice for our offense to have some short fields, instead of driving the entire field because the D "bent" an extra 40 yards.

Dental Dawg33
10-26-2015, 09:52 AM
It can be frustrating to watch, but I'll take it. Impressive numbers. Just hope it holds up and doesn't break in 3 weeks...

ShotgunDawg
10-26-2015, 10:12 AM
There are so many impressive peripheral numbers with our team. We are not a smoke & mirrors team, &, if you looked at our peripheral numbers, you could say that we are underachieving thus far in wins/losses

I'll say this, if MSU football were a free agent, the sabremetrics guys would be going crazy over us & attempting to acquire our services. We do so many things statistically well, that you'd think we were one of the best 10 teams in college football.

PassInterference
10-26-2015, 10:15 AM
We might have a good scoring D, but we still need to tackle better.

Anybody watch Peters against KY? The one time I focused on him, he made a good open field textbook wrap-up-low tackle on KY's big TE. Stopped him cold.

RoverDog
10-26-2015, 10:19 AM
NM

Irondawg
10-26-2015, 11:25 AM
That's what's so weird about our defense to me. We don't pass the eye test as a top defense the way some of the other top guys do. We miss a ton of tackles and play soft coverage and until last week weren't great at forcing turnovers.

We don't look bad, but except for Troy to me we don't look dominate. I will say our DL has really stepped up their game the past few weeks. Losing Redmond is going to hurt, but if our safeties start playing a step faster and not missing as many tackles early I think we'll "look" much better.