PDA

View Full Version : Future looks good....

HoopsDawg
10-25-2015, 01:44 PM
We played 6 freshmen on offense in the first half. And we played 6 on defense.

None looked overwhelmed and these were quality minutes not just mop up duty.

Got to sign some quality D-linemen this year (Jeff Simmons) and we will be set up for another run in 2 years.

smootness
10-25-2015, 01:51 PM
Simmons is pretty close to a must-sign for us this year, I think.

Our future DL is not thin, but it's not deep as of right now, especially after losing Moton. Simmons would be an immediate impact guy, and he would also mean that we're not absolutely relying on guys like Mullins and Joseph to develop into studs.

defiantdog
10-25-2015, 02:02 PM
Simmons is pretty close to a must-sign for us this year, I think.

Our future DL is not thin, but it's not deep as of right now, especially after losing Moton. Simmons would be an immediate impact guy, and he would also mean that we're not absolutely relying on guys like Mullins and Joseph to develop into studs.

Grant Harris might be a good one before it's said and done. But don't forget about Fletcher Adams..... he may be smaller, but he's got a motor on him. I also think Calvin and Big Cory Thomas are gonna be good ones as well.

HoopsDawg
10-25-2015, 02:06 PM
Grant Harris might be a good one before it's said and done. But don't forget about Fletcher Adams..... he may be smaller, but he's got a motor on him. I also think Calvin and Big Cory Thomas are gonna be good ones as well.

Calvin is a junior.

smootness
10-25-2015, 02:07 PM

I like the potential of all these guys, but Calvin will be a senior next year, and there just isn't a ton of future depth there. This is just a big year for DL recruiting, so it's important that we close out strong. We really need to land Simmons and Jones, and if we do that, I'll feel just fine with where we are at DL. But a miss on either one, and it starts to concern me a little. Gooden would also be really nice and the icing on the cake.

msstate7
10-25-2015, 02:15 PM
Are we recruiting Davis of meridian as dline or oline?

HoopsDawg
10-25-2015, 02:17 PM

I'm pretty sure we are recruiting him as a dline but almost everyone agrees his future is OT.

defiantdog
10-25-2015, 02:18 PM
Calvin is a junior.
Yeah, I was just thinking next year

I like the potential of all these guys, but Calvin will be a senior next year, and there just isn't a ton of future depth there. This is just a big year for DL recruiting, so it's important that we close out strong. We really need to land Simmons and Jones, and if we do that, I'll feel just fine with where we are at DL. But a miss on either one, and it starts to concern me a little. Gooden would also be really nice and the icing on the cake.
I agree with this completely.

Gotta be for the OLine..... the dude is just getting bigger.

Dawgface
10-25-2015, 02:42 PM
Most people say next year will be a down year due to losing Dak, Jones and others. But what is the consensus on how down? As in not making a bowl? Seven wins a possibility? Our non-conference schedule gets tougher with 2 on the road, one being BYU. Although it could be a tough year, I'm looking forward to seeing how it shakes out.

CadaverDawg
10-25-2015, 02:46 PM

I agree. Looks like we are sitting in a good spot with Gooden...He attended his 5th or 6th MSU game last night. Seems to be a regular these days. Not sure how his grade situation will play into it, but it seems we're in a good spot otherwise

msstate7
10-25-2015, 02:49 PM
I agree. Looks like we are sitting in a good spot with Gooden...He attended his 5th or 6th MSU game last night. Seems to be a regular these days. Not sure how his grade situation will play into it, but it seems we're in a good spot otherwise

Think we can schedule an act at Wayne co?**

CadaverDawg
10-25-2015, 02:50 PM
Most people say next year will be a down year due to losing Dak, Jones and others. But what is the consensus on how down? As in not making a bowl? Seven wins a possibility? Our non-conference schedule gets tougher with 2 on the road, one being BYU. Although it could be a tough year, I'm looking forward to seeing how it shakes out.

I think as long as we tailor the offense to fit Fitz or Staley (Which I have faith that Dan will, seeing how he got Relf a tailored offense), I feel good about getting 6 wins next year. How many more than that? Who knows. But I would consider 7+ to be a really good transition year next year knowing what we know right this second.

smootness
10-25-2015, 02:51 PM

I think it's pretty clear we'll take a step back, but I think that could potentially be a fairly small step. A lot will depend on who wins the QB job; it's much easier to look good in garbage time against scrubs than to come out week after week against SEC competition. There will be growing pains no matter what.

Our run game will probably be at least a little better, and we'll still have good talent at WR. Our secondary could end up being a strength by the end of next year, but we'll continue to see some growing pains there, too. Diaz will have his work cut out for him to continue to find ways to create pressure.

But I think we can put a competitive team out there, one with a chance to get hot and win 8.

CadaverDawg
10-25-2015, 02:56 PM
I think it's pretty clear we'll take a step back, but I think that could potentially be a fairly small step. A lot will depend on who wins the QB job; it's much easier to look good in garbage time against scrubs than to come out week after week against SEC competition. There will be growing pains no matter what.

Our run game will probably be at least a little better, and we'll still have good talent at WR. Our secondary could end up being a strength by the end of next year, but we'll continue to see some growing pains there, too. Diaz will have his work cut out for him to continue to find ways to create pressure.

But I think we can put a competitive team out there, one with a chance to get hot and win 8.

We really need our OL to take a big step forward between now and next August, which is very possible and maybe even likely. With a first year starter at QB, we probably go as far as our OL will allow us to go. I have a feeling Fitzgerald will be running the ball a LOT next season, and we will look like a better passing version of the Relf Coast...which could be a good thing. We will have to be more physical on offense to have a good season, because whether it is Staley or Fitz, I don't see Mullen trusting them to throw it all over the field in year 1. What you think?

msstate7
10-25-2015, 03:00 PM
We really need our OL to take a big step forward between now and next August, which is very possible and maybe even likely. With a first year starter at QB, we probably go as far as our OL will allow us to go. I have a feeling Fitzgerald will be running the ball a LOT next season, and we will look like a better passing version of the Relf Coast...which could be a good thing. We will have to be more physical on offense to have a good season, because whether it is Staley or Fitz, I don't see Mullen trusting them to throw it all over the field in year 1. What you think?

Not what you asked, but I wonder about fitz's ability to convert 3rd and shorts with his legs. I think he's a gifted runner, but not sure he can pound it in there for 2-3 yards. If he can't, this could give staley the advantage in this upcoming battle

CadaverDawg
10-25-2015, 03:03 PM
Not what you asked, but I wonder about fitz's ability to convert 3rd and shorts with his legs. I think he's a gifted runner, but not sure he can pound it in there for 2-3 yards. If he can't, this could give staley the advantage in this upcoming battle

I think Fitz is far more capable of getting 2-3 than Staley. Why would you give Staley the advantage? Fitz seems to me to be the better runner in all fascets. But I may be wrong.

msstate7
10-25-2015, 03:06 PM
I think Fitz is far more capable of getting 2-3 than Staley. Why would you give Staley the advantage? Fitz seems to me to be the better runner in all fascets. But I may be wrong.

On the limited runs I've seen of fitz, he's very fast and shifty, but easy to tackle. Doesn't seem to always fall forward like Dak.

HoopsDawg
10-25-2015, 03:14 PM
Just for fun, projected starting lineup from Dan's point of view:

Offense

LT: Jenkins
LG: Calhoun
C: Clayborn
RG: Desper
RT: Senior

TE: J. Johnson

WR: Gray
Slot: Ross
WR: Brown

QB: Fitz

RB: Holloway

Defense:

DE: Calvin
DT: Nick James
DT: N. Adams
DE: Jefferson

LB: B. Brown
LB: R. Brown
LB: Gray

CB: Jiles
CB: Cleveland
S: Coman
S: Bryant

Not too bad and there are a lot of players not listed that can really play ball.

CadaverDawg
10-25-2015, 03:16 PM
I'm going to assume we see a very different offense next season than we are this year. I could see us running a whole lot of speed sweeps, bubbles, etc...and then running the QB up the middle to keep the defense guessing. Then taking the occasional shots down field since both QB's can throw the deep ball well. That would be a combo of safe passes, running game, and getting the ball in the veteran playmaker's hands out on the edge. Purely a guess...but it will be a fun off season either way, because we will all be debating the QB situation and how we expect the offense to change. I'm looking forward to it.

Coach34
10-25-2015, 03:18 PM

Fitz is a much better runner than Staley. Staley is a dropback passer that can run some. Fitz is a dual-threat

CadaverDawg
10-25-2015, 03:19 PM
Good breakdown Hoops....It is going to be an adjustment losing Bear's size on the outside.

HoopsDawg
10-25-2015, 03:20 PM
Good breakdown Hoops....It is going to be an adjustment losing Bear's size on the outside.

AJ Brown would ease that adjustment.

Sacrifice
10-25-2015, 03:21 PM
What's the chance of Fletcher Adams playing DT next year? He's listed as 6'2 270 now. I could easily see him putting on 30lbs and playing DT. With his quickness and motor he'd be hard to deal with.

CadaverDawg
10-25-2015, 03:22 PM
AJ Brown would ease that adjustment.

No doubt. And he is one of the more college ready receivers in the country according to most that have seen him play a lot

msstate7
10-25-2015, 03:23 PM
I'm ready to see what we do with Richie, green, and Leo all at mlb. That's a lot of talent to only have 1 on the field at a time.

HoopsDawg
10-25-2015, 03:26 PM
What's the chance of Fletcher Adams playing DT next year? He's listed as 6'2 270 now. I could easily see him putting on 30lbs and playing DT. With his quickness and motor he'd be hard to deal with.

He will be a rotation guy at DT next year. I think he will make some plays for us.

smootness
10-25-2015, 03:27 PM

I actually like what our OL is doing right now. We need to continue to get better in run blocking, but I think we're better there than a lot of our fans think. I do think our offense will be quite a bit more run-oriented next year, and I think our passing game will consist mostly of screens and play-action.

In terms of who runs better, I do think Fitzgerald is a little more of a natural runner than Staley and is quicker with better acceleration. But I don't agree that Staley is mostly a drop-back passer. I think he runs a lot like Relf. He's bigger and not quite as shifty as Relf was, but he has similar qualities in that it takes him a little longer to get going, but he's big with long strides and is a load to bring down, especially once he gets going.

HoopsDawg
10-25-2015, 03:28 PM
No doubt. And he is one of the more college ready receivers in the country according to most that have seen him play a lot

He definitely is from a physical standpoint. Dan would probably bring him in with the 2nd group along with Dear/Myles and Jesse Jackson.

HoopsDawg
10-25-2015, 03:30 PM
I'm ready to see what we do with Richie, green, and Leo all at mlb. That's a lot of talent to only have 1 on the field at a time.

Me too. I really think Diaz will transition our defense to a 4-2-5 with Brown and Brown at 1A and Green and Lewis at 1B. I hope so at least. This would allow Peters/McLaurin to get on the field as a hybrid player. Similar to the Husky position that Ole Miss uses with Conner.

smootness
10-25-2015, 03:31 PM
I think Peters will start at safety next year, and I won't be at all surprised if somebody emerges at CB in the offseason, whether that's Graham or one of the young guys, particularly Stamps/Smitherman. They're unlikely to start the year as starters, but it could happen down the line.

I also think Gerri Green will start somewhere; I don't know where, exactly, but it's hard for me to see him not playing the majority of snaps somewhere in his 3rd year.

Holloway will have a pretty big role in the offense, but I think either Williams or Lee will take over the starting job there in the spring.

HoopsDawg
10-25-2015, 03:33 PM
I think Peters will start at safety next year, and I won't be at all surprised if somebody emerges at CB in the offseason, whether that's Graham or one of the young guys, particularly Stamps/Smitherman. They're unlikely to start the year as starters, but it could happen down the line.

I also think Gerri Green will start somewhere; I don't know where, exactly, but it's hard for me to see him not playing the majority of snaps somewhere in his 3rd year.

Holloway will have a pretty big role in the offense, but I think either Williams or Lee will take over the starting job there in the spring.

In theory, I agree with everything you said, but remember who our coach is. This was Chris Jones and Will Redmond's first year to start.

msstate7
10-25-2015, 03:33 PM
With Thomas and mixon joining the slot next season, any chance we get dear to try and take over rb?

smootness
10-25-2015, 03:37 PM
In theory, I agree with everything you said, but remember who our coach is. This was Chris Jones and Will Redmond's first year to start.

Yeah, I hear you. Part of the issue is whether we're going to draw up a lineup based on who starts or who plays the majority of snaps. Because those guys have been playing the majority of snaps for a while.

So yeah, I could see Green or Peters technically not starting, but I figure they'll be on the field most of the time.

HoopsDawg
10-25-2015, 03:47 PM
With Thomas and mixon joining the slot next season, any chance we get dear to try and take over rb?

You would think so, but I really think Mullen likes Dear in the slot. We will have Aeris and Gibson at RB and Holloway will get a few carries too. I think Mixon will play both RB and slot kind of like Holloway did his first year. I don't see Thomas playing a whole lot, but he can catch. I wish at his size, he had a tad more speed.

defiantdog
10-25-2015, 03:52 PM
Just for fun, projected starting lineup from Dan's point of view:

Offense

LT: Jenkins / Rankin / Cochran
LG: Calhoun
C: Clayborn / Williams
RG: Desper
RT: Senior / Johnson / Story / Moon

TE: J. Johnson / Green / Jones

WR: Gray / Jackson
Slot: Ross / Dear / Myles / Thomas / Mixon
WR: Fred Brown / Spivey / AJ Brown

QB: Fitz / Staley / Williams / Tiano

RB: Holloway / Williams / Lee / Gibson / Murphy

Defense:

DE: Calvin / Harris / Jones
DT: Nick James / C Thomas
DT: N. Adams / Hoyett / F Adams
DE: Jefferson / Mullins / Joseph

LB: B. Brown / Washington
LB: R. Brown / Green / Lewis
LB: Gray / Jung / Harris

CB: Jiles / Smitherman / Durr
CB: Cleveland / Stamps
Nickel: Graham / Rayford
S: Coman / Peters
S: Bryant / McLaurin

Not too bad and there are a lot of players not listed that can really play ball.
I listed some of those players that could play ball

defiantdog
10-25-2015, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I hear you. Part of the issue is whether we're going to draw up a lineup based on who starts or who plays the majority of snaps. Because those guys have been playing the majority of snaps for a while.

So yeah, I could see Green or Peters technically not starting, but I figure they'll be on the field most of the time.
Peters will be on the field a lot next year. I don't know if he'll get as many snaps as B Brown, but it will be close.

You would think so, but I really think Mullen likes Dear in the slot. We will have Aeris and Gibson at RB and Holloway will get a few carries too. I think Mixon will play both RB and slot kind of like Holloway did his first year. I don't see Thomas playing a whole lot, but he can catch. I wish at his size, he had a tad more speed.
Thomas may not have breakaway speed, but he's going to break some ankles. Mixon won't play RB..... he played better when he was a receiver at Shades Valley. I see him playing the same role with us..... and yes, he will burn a lot of DBs and especially safeties that try and cover him.

CadaverDawg
10-25-2015, 04:00 PM
Watching the replay now. On our first Touchdown drive, the following guys all made plays, some multiple plays...

Aeris Williams
Malik Dear
Donald Gray
Justin Johnson

Not only all first year guys, but all first year guys playing a vital role on the first TD drive in an SEC game. We went to the freshman Johnson on a 4th and short with a pass. I love that we will have some really experienced Sophomores heading into 2016.

HoopsDawg
10-25-2015, 04:00 PM
I listed some of those players that could play ball

D-line depth is definitely the biggest weakness or at the very least, biggest question mark. We haven't really recruited well at DT.

defiantdog
10-25-2015, 04:04 PM
D-line depth is definitely the biggest weakness or at the very least, biggest question mark. We haven't really recruited well at DT.

I agree..... I wonder if Diaz will line Green or Lewis in a stand up position on the edges next year to help with the DL.

MetEdDawg
10-25-2015, 04:08 PM
The good thing for the QB next year is that this OL will look at lot more like yesterday's OL than the 1st half of the season's OL. We only lose Malone. Senior, Desper, Clayborn, and Jenkins all return with a lot of experience and a lot of PT together. Plus if we are able to keep Fred Ross, we will still have a lot of weapons on the outside. Fred Ross, Fred Brown, Justin Johnson, Holloway, Dear, Lee, Aeris, Mixon, Myles. Not as good as this year but still pretty good.

7 wins is probably what I would need to be satisfied with considering the change at QB. I think we win all 4 non conference (subject to change I guess because I think we only have 3 scheduled at the moment). Auburn, Arkansas, and TAMU at home plus whoever rotates on from the East. Need to go 2-2 there. Away schedule blows with LSU, OM, Bama, and UK. Probably go 1-3 there. So 7-5 is what I would be ok with. But if everything comes together early we've got a chance to do much better because we will be a very old and experienced team next year.

A lot of us point to 2017 but we've got a LOT of question marks in 2017. No Senior, Desper, or Clayborn. No Ross or Brown or Holloway. No Jefferson, James, Jones, Calvin, Browns, Cleveland, or Coman. We lose potentially 13 starters off of next years projected starting 22 after the 2016 season. We've got a lot of young guys getting PT, but we will lose a lot of impact from the 2016 team.

HoopsDawg
10-25-2015, 04:36 PM
A lot of us point to 2017 but we've got a LOT of question marks in 2017. No Senior, Desper, or Clayborn. No Ross or Brown or Holloway. No Jefferson, James, Jones, Calvin, Browns, Cleveland, or Coman. We lose potentially 13 starters off of next years projected starting 22 after the 2016 season. We've got a lot of young guys getting PT, but we will lose a lot of impact from the 2016 team.

Good thing about Mullen's program is we play a ton of guys so we never truly rebuild like we had to in the past. You just named a lot of guys who are easily replaceable. In fact, the only guys you just named that even give me a little pause are Clayborn, Ross and Jefferson. And naming Ross is even a reach with all the slot talent we have.

defiantdog
10-25-2015, 04:51 PM
The good thing for the QB next year is that this OL will look at lot more like yesterday's OL than the 1st half of the season's OL. We only lose Malone. Senior, Desper, Clayborn, and Jenkins all return with a lot of experience and a lot of PT together. Plus if we are able to keep Fred Ross, we will still have a lot of weapons on the outside. Fred Ross, Fred Brown, Justin Johnson, Holloway, Dear, Lee, Aeris, Mixon, Myles. Not as good as this year but still pretty good.

7 wins is probably what I would need to be satisfied with considering the change at QB. I think we win all 4 non conference (subject to change I guess because I think we only have 3 scheduled at the moment). Auburn, Arkansas, and TAMU at home plus whoever rotates on from the East. Need to go 2-2 there. Away schedule blows with LSU, OM, Bama, and UK. Probably go 1-3 there. So 7-5 is what I would be ok with. But if everything comes together early we've got a chance to do much better because we will be a very old and experienced team next year.

In 2017, the only position to really worry about is the DL. Every other position have players in place.

HancockCountyDog
10-25-2015, 04:55 PM
We played 6 freshmen on offense in the first half. And we played 6 on defense.

None looked overwhelmed and these were quality minutes not just mop up duty.

Got to sign some quality D-linemen this year (Jeff Simmons) and we will be set up for another run in 2 years.

Also just imagine how good our offense will be once Dak leaves and we can finally play someone that can run the offense****

Ifyouonlyknew
10-25-2015, 04:55 PM
I'd let this 2016 recruiting class close out before worrying about the 2017 season. The 2014, 2015, & 2016 recruiting classes is really raising the talent level at MSU.

Coach34
10-25-2015, 04:57 PM
We have got to find a way to get Green on the field next year. We cant play Green and the Browns at the same time at LB- so some creativity is going to have to take place

defiantdog
10-25-2015, 05:15 PM
We have got to find a way to get Green on the field next year. We cant play Green and the Browns at the same time at LB- so some creativity is going to have to take place

Good luck getting B Brown off the field..... he even plays in garbage time.

CadaverDawg
10-25-2015, 06:17 PM
First off, I agree with Ifyouonlyknew that 2017 should not even be close to a worry right now, especially before this coming recruiting class is finalized. That being said, I wanted to really ease everyone's mind about 2017, by giving you a quick snap shot of what we will have in 2017 not counting the 2016 & 2017 recruiting classes (which will both likely have immediate impact players in them). So here you go, by position, your 2017 roster if we weren't to add anybody for the next two recruiting classes... (you're going to be pleasantly surprised).....

QB:
Fitzgerald
Staley
Williams (maybe)
Tiano

RB:
A Williams
D Lee
N Gibson
A Murphy

TE:
J Johnson
F Green

WR:
D Gray
G Myles
M Dear
D Thomas
K Mixon
J Spivey
J Jackson

OL:
E Jenkins
D Calhoun
M Rankin
R Cochran
H Moon
D Williams
M Story

DL:
C Thomas
B Hoyett
K Joseph Jr
F Adams
A Mullins
G Harris
Kendall Jones

LB:
G Green
T Jung
JT Gray
Leo Lewis
Dez Harris (Maybe)
Tim Washington

DB:
Smokey
J Peters
M McLaurin
B Bryant
C Rayford
C Stamps
M Smitherman

Potential Additions in next 2 classes:
AJ Brown
Jeff Simmons
Kobe Jones
D Jones
Lashley
Kylin Hill
Cam Akers
among many others on our board

Look at what we have just on the current depth chart. All of those guys will be either RS So., Juniors, or Seniors by then. That is one hell of a group that will be experienced. Throw in a few impact freshman and sophomores, and I am not in the least bit worried about that season right now.

Just wanted to give anybody looking forward some sense of what we'll have.

msstate7
10-25-2015, 06:21 PM
First off, I agree with Ifyouonlyknew that 2017 should not even be close to a worry right now, especially before this coming recruiting class is finalized. That being said, I wanted to really ease everyone's mind about 2017, by giving you a quick snap shot of what we will have in 2017 not counting the 2016 & 2017 recruiting classes (which will both likely have immediate impact players in them). So here you go, by position, your 2017 roster if we weren't to add anybody for the next two recruiting classes... (you're going to be pleasantly surprised).....

QB:
Fitzgerald
Staley
Williams (maybe)
Tiano

RB:
A Williams
D Lee
N Gibson
A Murphy

TE:
J Johnson
F Green

WR:
D Gray
G Myles
M Dear
D Thomas
K Mixon
J Spivey
J Jackson

OL:
E Jenkins
D Calhoun
M Rankin
R Cochran
H Moon
D Williams
M Story

DL:
C Thomas
B Hoyett
K Joseph Jr
F Adams
A Mullins
G Harris
Kendall Jones

LB:
G Green
T Jung
JT Gray
Leo Lewis
Dez Harris (Maybe)
Tim Washington

DB:
Smokey
J Peters
M McLaurin
B Bryant
C Rayford
C Stamps
M Smitherman

Potential Additions in next 2 classes:
AJ Brown
Jeff Simmons
Kobe Jones
D Jones
Lashley
Kylin Hill
Cam Akers
among many others on our board

Look at what we have just on the current depth chart. All of those guys will be either RS So., Juniors, or Seniors by then. That is one hell of a group that will be experienced. Throw in a few impact freshman and sophomores, and I am not in the least bit worried about that season right now.

Just wanted to give anybody looking forward some sense of what we'll have.

Add Jones and possibly pierce at te.

CadaverDawg
10-25-2015, 06:23 PM
The only current weaknesses I see in the 2017 team, are depth at DL...and a Big Physical WR like Bear. Throw a 2nd year Jeff Simmons and Kobe Jones on that DL, and a 2nd year AJ Brown at WR...you probably feel pretty damn good.

Hell, add the 3 above guys to the group already on the roster, and that's probably better than 90% of the pre-Mullen full rosters in terms of talent.

CadaverDawg
10-25-2015, 06:26 PM
Add Jones and possibly pierce at te.

Yea, TE should be a strong point. We'll have at least 3-4 TE's, and 2-3 will have multiple years of experience. Justin Johnson may be Malcolm Johnson 2.0 or better by 2017 the way he's looking. Just tons of talent being added to this roster. It's a great time to be a Dawg for sure.

We should also have a badass baseball and basketball team in 2017 if things continue as they have been in terms of recruiting and talent.

msstate7
10-25-2015, 06:28 PM
Yea, TE should be a strong point. We'll have at least 3-4 TE's, and 2-3 will have multiple years of experience. Justin Johnson may be Malcolm Johnson 2.0 or better by 2017 the way he's looking. Just tons of talent being added to this roster. It's a great time to be a Dawg for sure.

We should also have a badass baseball and basketball team in 2017 if things continue as they have been in terms of recruiting and talent.

Mullen will have a hard time keeping up with '17 basketball and baseball

Homedawg
10-25-2015, 08:36 PM
Me too. I really think Diaz will transition our defense to a 4-2-5 with Brown and Brown at 1A and Green and Lewis at 1B. I hope so at least. This would allow Peters/McLaurin to get on the field as a hybrid player. Similar to the Husky position that Ole Miss uses with Conner.

That's where peters looks the most comfortable. He made some plays against a&m and last night in that spot. Mclaurin, at this point looks like a legit cover 2 safety. He just needs reps and experience and he's going to be a good one

Johnson85
10-26-2015, 09:41 AM
On the limited runs I've seen of fitz, he's very fast and shifty, but easy to tackle. Doesn't seem to always fall forward like Dak.

Fitzgerald is listed 6'5, 227 as a RS Freshman? He's a little leaner than Dak, but he's going to be able to fall forward as he gets stronger. He's been on campus a good while, so there probably won't be any major changes in his physique, but he still looks like a teenager. He could easily put on another ten to fifteen pounds of really good weight in the next two years.

Johnson85
10-26-2015, 09:46 AM
Fitz is a much better runner than Staley. Staley is a dropback passer that can run some. Fitz is a dual-threat

I don't think you're giving Staley enough credit. Staley to me looks somewhere between Matt Jones and Chris Relf. One of those guys that looks like he's in a slower gear than everybody around him, but then you realize he's still covering ground just as fast or faster. Just eats up a ton of yardage with his stride. Maybe not a running style that would work as a RB, but extremely dangerous as a QB.

Granted, I haven't seen him against good competition, but I also find it hard to believe he could have been a legitimate threat on the wing in basketball if he wasn't reasonably fast.

smootness
10-26-2015, 11:17 AM
The only current weaknesses I see in the 2017 team, are depth at DL...and a Big Physical WR like Bear. Throw a 2nd year Jeff Simmons and Kobe Jones on that DL, and a 2nd year AJ Brown at WR...you probably feel pretty damn good.

Hell, add the 3 above guys to the group already on the roster, and that's probably better than 90% of the pre-Mullen full rosters in terms of talent.

These were my exact thoughts after seeing the roster.