PDA

View Full Version : Shumpert

Dawg61
10-24-2015, 11:30 PM
Is he hurt or in the doghouse? I don't remember seeing him tonight or last week. If he's just getting benched I say move him to defense. Right now. We are woefully thin in the defensive secondary. When the entire fan base shits their pants when Calhoun got hurt you know you are woefully thin in the secondary. I have never seen Shump play defense but he's way too talented athletically for MSU to just let ride the bench the rest of his career. We need more bodies on defense. We have plenty of RBs not really doing shit. We don't need another one.

MaxedOutMaroon
10-24-2015, 11:33 PM
He was on the kickoff team. He may have already made the move you speak of.

Dawg61
10-24-2015, 11:37 PM
He was on the kickoff team. He may have already made the move you speak of.

Hmmm anyone know if Shump has been seen trying another position?

rolodawg
10-24-2015, 11:37 PM
I am pretty sure he was on all coverage teams. Don't recall seeing him in an offensive set.

Thick
10-24-2015, 11:48 PM
Did not play an offensive down, all special teams

Saltydog
10-24-2015, 11:48 PM
would be done in the off season. To me, he should get a look at TE or OLB.

HSVDawg
10-25-2015, 12:11 AM
Jesus Christ. He's not moving positions and especially not to the secondary. I love how people think a guy who hasn't performed at RB primarily due to lack of any lateral movement or vision is going to suddenly excel as a linebacker or safety. Can we stop beating this dead horse already?

Dawg61
10-25-2015, 12:22 AM
would be done in the off season. To me, he should get a look at TE or OLB.

What about some type of hybrid FB that is designed to block for Dak/QB not for RBs when Dak goes 4 and sometimes he leaks for a pass instead of blocking?

Myles Jack switched sides mid-season. Obviously I don't expect to see Shump much at all this year on that side but if we start the move now he can be ready by next season. Either that or make him a hybrid FB/TE. Basically my point is he can be utilized on the field at other positions instead of just letting him rot on the bench. Dan needs to think outside the box with Shump. I don't want to see him transfer or waste away. Hell he can be effective at HB if the correct call is made which is "straight forward as fast as you can run and destroy the first guy you see but under absolutely no circumstances stop sprinting straight forward" play.

Dawg61
10-25-2015, 12:22 AM
Jeaus Christ. He's not moving positions and especially not to the secondary. I love how people think a guy who hasn't performed at RB primarily due to lack of any lateral movement or vision is going to suddenly excel as a linebacker or safety. Can we stop beating this dead horse already?

No

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-25-2015, 12:33 AM
Jeaus Christ. He's not moving positions and especially not to the secondary. I love how people think a guy who hasn't performed at RB primarily due to lack of any lateral movement or vision is going to suddenly excel as a linebacker or safety. Can we stop beating this dead horse already?

It aint like he hadnt played defense before. Wasnt he recruited by some schools to be a safety?

Saltydog
10-25-2015, 12:35 AM
nt

somebodyshotmypaw
10-25-2015, 07:33 AM
We are woefully thin in the defensive secondary. When the entire fan base shits their pants when Calhoun got hurt you know you are woefully thin in the secondary. I have never seen Shump play defense but he's way too talented athletically for MSU to just let ride the bench

Good lord. If he played defense it wouldn't be in the secondary. If we think his speed and burst is bad at RB, he would get toasted at safety.

Jack Lambert
10-25-2015, 07:45 AM
He's just not ready to be the go to guy. Maybe next season the light bulb will come on.

Saltydog
10-25-2015, 09:25 AM
nt

TStationDawg
10-25-2015, 10:07 AM

Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't play line backer?!

BulldogBear
10-25-2015, 10:37 AM

No. He said Jeaus Christ. Different guy***

Maroons
10-25-2015, 10:48 AM
Players don't all of the sudden develop balance and explosion their Sr. year. He needs to play the Hanrahan / Hemphill role.

HSVDawg
10-25-2015, 10:49 AM

Exactly. Typed it out in my best Mr. Slave accent from South Park.

QuadrupleOption
10-25-2015, 12:01 PM

Yeah they're third cousins.

Boston
10-25-2015, 12:25 PM
He's a fullback. The quicker he and the coaching staff realize this the better. He could be a really good player if put in a position to succeed.

sleepy dawg
10-25-2015, 03:13 PM

I bet Jobu could play linebacker.

Dawg61
10-25-2015, 03:31 PM
Good lord. If he played defense it wouldn't be in the secondary. If we think his speed and burst is bad at RB, he would get toasted at safety.

Which one is faster, Nickoe Whitley on a torn ACL or Shumpert?

maroonmania
10-25-2015, 04:28 PM
My take on the entire RB situation is that, unless our coaches are ABSOLUTELY convinced that among Williams, Lee, or maybe Gibson we WILL have a difference maker at RB next year then they need to bust their butt and see if we can't convince a top JUCO RB to come on board with us. Hopefully one that can go through Spring. We definitely need to find Shump another position that he can be productive. As great as everything went last night it was still painful watching our running plays (when Dak wasn't involved) basically max out EVERY time at 3 to 4 yards. And knowing that we can't even get a 4th and 1 when there is a decent crease to get it. The ONLY back we have right now with any leg drive is Lee but apparently he is still 3rd on the depth chart even with no Shump.

defiantdog
10-25-2015, 04:45 PM
Which one is faster, Nickoe Whitley on a torn ACL or Shumpert?

Whitley by far

Ifyouonlyknew
10-25-2015, 05:00 PM
My take on the entire RB situation is that, unless our coaches are ABSOLUTELY convinced that among Williams, Lee, or maybe Gibson we WILL have a difference maker at RB next year then they need to bust their butt and see if we can't convince a top JUCO RB to come on board with us. Hopefully one that can go through Spring. We definitely need to find Shump another position that he can be productive. As great as everything went last night it was still painful watching our running plays (when Dak wasn't involved) basically max out EVERY time at 3 to 4 yards. And knowing that we can't even get a 4th and 1 when there is a decent crease to get it. The ONLY back we have right now with any leg drive is Lee but apparently he is still 3rd on the depth chart even with no Shump.

Only problem with that is those guys rarely exist anymore. Javon Robinson was 1 of the best juco RB ever supposedly & he can't get a touch at Auburn. There's just very few impact Juco players anymore.

GreenheadDawg
10-25-2015, 05:02 PM
Only problem with that is those guys rarely exist anymore. Javon Robinson was 1 of the best juco RB ever supposedly & he can't get a touch at Auburn. There's just very few impact Juco players anymore.

True. Alvin Kamara @ UT is just now starting to make a little noise

maroonmania
10-25-2015, 08:40 PM

Yes, there is risk to it but I think at this point we should take a shot. Vick Ballard worked out pretty well. Kamara has contributed at TN more than any of our backs have contributed and believe me, if we had a Peyton Barbour on our roster, we wouldn't have a need for a JUCO RB.

Really Clark?
10-25-2015, 09:32 PM
Yes, there is risk to it but I think at this point we should take a shot. Vick Ballard worked out pretty well. Kamara has contributed at TN more than any of our backs have contributed and believe me, if we had a Peyton Barbour on our roster, we wouldn't have a need for a JUCO RB.

Kamara wasn't just a JUCO guy to begin with though, like Ballard. He originally went to Bama. The # 1 this year is Florida bound, the #2 rated JUCO RB is committed to MO. They also signed the #2 rated JUCO RB last year. Have you seen their offense? He is their #4 RB. There is at best 2 impact RB in JUCO's across the country. Last few years not really more than 1. Most don't sign or don't go to Power 5 schools. JUCO just is not where you want to really find a RB. The #2 guy this year is at Hinds. He is committed to MO and we haven't shown interest.

Bully13
10-25-2015, 09:37 PM
I think Shump could find a way to make it on the field on the defensive side of the ball. just because he doesn't have the instincts to find a hole and hit it hard after a hand off doesn't mean he wouldn't have instincts to focus on being a linebacker or safety. I'm not buying into people saying he doesn't have decent speed. I wanna see Shump succeed.