PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Fact mentioned on ESPN

MaxedOutMaroon
10-24-2015, 11:12 PM
We have played the most freshmen of any SEC team besides Georgia. No agenda for mentioning this, just thought it was interesting. The more we play them, the better we look it seems

msstate7
10-24-2015, 11:13 PM
Assuming fitz or staley work out, '17 is gonna be a special year

KB21
10-24-2015, 11:25 PM
We have some extremely talented young players right now.

QB Nick Fitzgerald
QB Elijah Staley
RB Aeris Williams
RB Dontavian Lee
WR Malik Dear
TE Justin Johnson
OL Deion Calhoun
OL Ronald Cochran
OL Egelton Jenkins

DL Braxton Hoyett
DL Cory Thomas
LB Gerri Green
LB JT Gray
DB Jamal Peters
DB Mark McLaurin
DB Brandon Bryant

And the team is red shirting the likes of Leo Lewis, Chris Stamps, and Fletcher Adams.

Homedawg
10-24-2015, 11:25 PM
We have played the most freshmen of any SEC team besides Georgia. No agenda for mentioning this, just thought it was interesting. The more we play them, the better we look it seems

Not possible. We only play jr and sr. I know I read it here!

Homedawg
10-24-2015, 11:27 PM
We have some extremely talented young players right now.

QB Nick Fitzgerald
QB Elijah Staley
RB Aeris Williams
RB Dontavian Lee
WR Malik Dear
TE Justin Johnson
OL Deion Calhoun
OL Ronald Cochran
OL Egelton Jenkins

DL Braxton Hoyett
DL Cory Thomas
LB Gerri Green
LB JT Gray
DB Jamal Peters
DB Mark McLaurin
DB Brandon Bryant

And the team is red shirting the likes of Leo Lewis, Chris Stamps, and Fletcher Adams.
Mclaurin looked really good. And I like peters a lot too, especially when we use him in the place of the olb in what is similar to how ole miss uses Conner.

Todd4State
10-24-2015, 11:57 PM

We still start all juniors and seniors.

RougeDawg
10-25-2015, 06:49 PM

Once again someone missing the point. No one was saying we don't play freshmen. We said Lee and Dear and others need to play "more snaps" and get "the meaningful touches" some of the upper classmen (Shump) were getting. Playing one "Rudy-like" mop up snap counts as "playing". We said some of our younger guys should have been playing more from snap one in Hattiesburg. It has taken 7-8 games and injuries to get these guys in the games early and often that's what we have ever said.

Why do people continue to pick apart posts and focus on one aspect of it opposed to the entire point of a post or thought?

msstate7
10-25-2015, 06:51 PM
Once again someone missing the point. No one was saying we don't play freshmen. We said Lee and Dear and others need to play "more snaps" and get "the meaningful touches" some of the upper classmen (Shump) were getting. Playing one "Rudy-like" mop up snap counts as "playing". We said some of our younger guys should have been playing more from snap one in Hattiesburg. It has taken 7-8 games and injuries to get these guys in the games early and often that's what we have ever said.

Why do people continue to pick apart posts and focus on one aspect of it opposed to the entire point of a post or thought?

Lee and Williams didn't really look any better than Shump against Kentucky

CadaverDawg
10-25-2015, 06:56 PM
Didn't see this thread when I posted this earlier...but take a look at 2017 as it stands right now, NOT counting recruits in 2016 & 2017 classes. I was pumped when I actually looked at every player that would still be here. I had forgotten several of these guys already...

First off, I agree with Ifyouonlyknew that 2017 should not even be close to a worry right now, especially before this coming recruiting class is finalized. That being said, I wanted to really ease everyone's mind about 2017, by giving you a quick snap shot of what we will have in 2017 not counting the 2016 & 2017 recruiting classes (which will both likely have immediate impact players in them). So here you go, by position, your 2017 roster if we weren't to add anybody for the next two recruiting classes... (you're going to be pleasantly surprised).....

QB:
Fitzgerald
Staley
Williams (maybe)
Tiano

RB:
A Williams
D Lee
N Gibson
A Murphy

TE:
J Johnson
F Green

WR:
D Gray
G Myles
M Dear
D Thomas
K Mixon
J Spivey
J Jackson

OL:
E Jenkins
D Calhoun
M Rankin
R Cochran
H Moon
D Williams
M Story

DL:
C Thomas
B Hoyett
K Joseph Jr
F Adams
A Mullins
G Harris
Kendall Jones

LB:
G Green
T Jung
JT Gray
Leo Lewis
Dez Harris (Maybe)
Tim Washington

DB:
Smokey
J Peters
M McLaurin
B Bryant
C Rayford
C Stamps
M Smitherman

Potential Additions in next 2 classes:
AJ Brown
Jeff Simmons
Kobe Jones
D Jones
Lashley
Kylin Hill
Cam Akers
among many others on our board

Look at what we have just on the current depth chart. All of those guys will be either RS So., Juniors, or Seniors by then. That is one hell of a group that will be experienced. Throw in a few impact freshman and sophomores, and I am not in the least bit worried about that season right now.

Just wanted to give anybody looking forward some sense of what we'll have.

Homedawg
10-25-2015, 08:31 PM

Not completely true. But close. Anyway w the existing strategy, we are on our way to our 6th straight bowl. I know what's coming next, only had we played the BEST players we would have been better, yada, yada.

BB30
10-25-2015, 09:03 PM

I think that would probably be true for most college teams. Generally most teams start juniors and seniors. It's very rare a true freshman is ready to step right in and play. Dear has gotten a lot of pt and is progressively getting more as well as mclaurin and peters who by the way was playing 2a highschool ball last year. I think the jump from 2a ball to the sec is pretty significant. They are starting to get their snaps and we ha e brought them along and have put them in the best possible position to have early success and learn.

Homedawg
10-25-2015, 10:34 PM
Fact is, teams that are winning are starting jr and srfornthe most part,w a soph straggler here and there. A fr is an exception unless it's a case of an elite talent.

Barking 13
10-26-2015, 08:42 AM
CD, that made my sticker peck up

Johnson85
10-26-2015, 09:14 AM
Lee and Williams didn't really look any better than Shump against Kentucky

UK respected them as a threat. Whether that's because UK's D was being stupid or because they are actually more of a threat than Shump, I don't know, but that alone will make a huge difference for our offense.

TimberBeast
10-26-2015, 09:19 AM
Not completely true. But close. Anyway w the existing strategy, we are on our way to our 6th straight bowl. I know what's coming next, only had we played the BEST players we would have been better, yada, yada.

Is that not the truth? Mullen finally figured out our team this weekend, it took 8 games.