PDA

View Full Version : We are bowl eligible for the 6th consecutive season...

Dawg61
10-24-2015, 11:03 PM
congrats Dan Mullen that is a hell of an accomplishment at any school!! 3-2 Auburn seems like twenty years ago. Maine seems like WW2 days ago.

msstate7
10-24-2015, 11:05 PM
Just need 4 more... I don't care if they're all regular season or a bowl win to get it as long as 1 is vs om. Back-to-back 10 win seasons would be a huge step forward

Coach34
10-24-2015, 11:10 PM
Yep- another big accomplishment

godlluB
10-24-2015, 11:31 PM
congrats Dan Mullen that is a hell of an accomplishment at any school!! 3-2 Auburn seems like twenty years ago. Maine seems like WW2 days ago.

Those two games are still open wounds for me, kind of like the stigmata.

Todd4State
10-25-2015, 12:52 AM
I hear Scott talking about marketing all the time. To me, a bowl game is THE BEST marketing tool we can have.

The reason I say that is because people associate going to a bowl with being a good football team. You may be 6-6 and not really all that good in reality- but the PERCEPTION is that you have a good team. And most of them are over the Christmas holidays- AND they have an almost exclusive slot on TV. Unlike Thursdays where we would have to compete with several other teams and even the NFL. People like to watch college football over the holidays and if we are one of the teams represented- that is a VERY good thing for us.

And if you go to a bowl year after year after year then people start to subconsciously think things like "oh yeah, I saw MSU when they were in the Gator Bowl last year and here they are again- I think they go to a bowl every year. They're pretty good".

And of course, since most bowls are on even the most basic of cable packages there are a lot of people that have access to view those games.

I know a lot of people may not like or find it interesting when we play Troy or UT-Martin, but it helps us out in the big picture. And hopefully when we go to a bowl we get to play someone interesting like Georgia Tech or Michigan.

archdog
10-25-2015, 09:11 AM
Screw playing Georgia Tech. I want to play a normal team that does run a cut block gimmick offense.

Taog Redloh
10-25-2015, 09:35 AM
Sorry, but pet peeve alert......

When you typed this:

Screw playing Georgia Tech. I want to play a normal team that does run a cut block gimmick offense.

...after reading this:

And hopefully when we go to a bowl we get to play someone interesting like Georgia Tech or Michigan.
....I mean, do you REALLY think he meant SPECIFICALLY a Georgia Tech team with a gimmick offense that gives us trouble? Or do you think MAYBE....just MAYBE....that since he used it in the context with Michigan.....that he just simply meant a big name team? I can't read his mind but I think you just about put any upper echelon team in there and get the same point across. But for some reason, you fixated on Georgia Tech's cut block offense.

Not trying to insult, just trying to understand. People's brains are just wired so differently.

Dawg61
10-25-2015, 03:27 PM
Sorry, but pet peeve alert......

When you typed this:

...after reading this:

....I mean, do you REALLY think he meant SPECIFICALLY a Georgia Tech team with a gimmick offense that gives us trouble? Or do you think MAYBE....just MAYBE....that since he used it in the context with Michigan.....that he just simply meant a big name team? I can't read his mind but I think you just about put any upper echelon team in there and get the same point across. But for some reason, you fixated on Georgia Tech's cut block offense.

Not trying to insult, just trying to understand. People's brains are just wired so differently.

I think that Todd wouldn't mind playing a historically big name school like Michigan or Georgia Tech and archdog would prefer to not play Georgia Tech. I could be wrong though.