PDA

View Full Version : Interesting second hand news...

K9 Avenger
07-27-2013, 06:10 PM
concerning Bear QB Wallace and since I'm certain rumors are encouraged here, I thought I'd throw it out. Comes from the father of a kid who participated in the Manning Passing Academy a couple of weeks ago. Dad says the young man chatted up Bo a good bit and, during the conversation, the subject of Wallace's shoulder comes up. Bo tells the guy that he's got a looong way to go and likely won't be close to 100% by opening day. All the rhetoric you heard from Media Days, etc. about his arm being stronger than ever is just the company line. In fact, Wallace said any throw beyond thirty yards is like the last shot out of a roman candle. Assuming this is true, how impactful is this on the bear offense at the start of the season? I thought he was the key to their offense last year, particularly his threat to keep the ball on the zone read. Are they more careful with him this year, and if so, does that mean he doesn't run as much and if he does run, does he slide instead of trying to get the extra yards? With their schedule being really front loaded, seems like they could have real problems while he continues to heal up....if he takes the wrong lick on that shoulder? 4-8 is a distinct possibility...thoughts?

Dawg61
07-27-2013, 06:17 PM
I posted this about a week ago. Then I signed up here because it got locked immediately on SPS. I don't wish injury on Wallace I just think he won't be playing QB much at all this year for Ole Miss. He IS injured right now. I really think we do see a 4-8 season for Ole Miss this year. Freeze has NO quarterbacks. His offense is MOST dependent on a QB and especially one that can run his up-tempo offense. Until either Wallace gets fully healthy which I think will be never or Freeze lands a stud QB Ole Miss is going to STRUGGLE to win games. Yea they have an improved everything else but they have a tremendous downgrade at the most important position. Ole Miss 4-8 this year.

MarketingBully01
07-27-2013, 06:17 PM
Oh yeah to give you an idea of the seriousness of that surgery, the Missouri QB James Franklin had it before their season last year. You tell me if that had a big affect on their season (5-7). I agree that if he goes down 4-8 is a possibility. Even with him though, I say they will be 5-7.

Coach34
07-27-2013, 09:53 PM
It will be interesting to see what zip he has on the ball vs Vandy. I've said this all along- his short routes should be fine- its the 20-30 yard throws he has to make that will tell the tale.

AlSwearengen
07-27-2013, 10:03 PM
when exactly did wallace suffer this should injury?

Pollodawg
07-27-2013, 10:11 PM
I am not calling you out K9 Avenger, but I don't really see why he would say that. It doesn't make sense that he would just tell a random person something like that.

Gen. Grant
07-27-2013, 10:34 PM
The 20-30 yard throws were his most dangerous. If he can't hit those, they will suffer.

NewTweederEndzoneDance
07-27-2013, 10:35 PM
when exactly did wallace suffer this should injury?

I was told it was in the Tulane game last year, at the beginning of the season. I'm not a doctor, but even if not 100% shouldn't he be at least as effective physically as he was most of last year? I didn't think he displayed much arm strength last year either, whether it was the injury or not.

Perhaps he has mental issues now because of the surgery, or is more likely to be re-injured if he takes too many hits. Regardless, not a one of us will know if he can throw a pass until he trots out there in a few weeks against Vandy on national tv.

Gen. Grant
07-27-2013, 10:41 PM
He tends to take unnecessary risks. I'm sure the Rev. will have to keep him on a short leash. I just don't see how he comes back the same or 100% from a surgery like that physically or mentally.

Todd4State
07-28-2013, 12:15 AM
I was told it was in the Tulane game last year, at the beginning of the season. I'm not a doctor, but even if not 100% shouldn't he be at least as effective physically as he was most of last year? I didn't think he displayed much arm strength last year either, whether it was the injury or not.

Perhaps he has mental issues now because of the surgery, or is more likely to be re-injured if he takes too many hits. Regardless, not a one of us will know if he can throw a pass until he trots out there in a few weeks against Vandy on national tv.

Well, let me say this- a broken collarbone pretty much ended my Dad's college baseball career. He was out for over a year basically because he couldn't throw. The issue is if the clavicle is broken, it's hard to bring your arm straight up and then put enough power behind the throw to get the ball downfield.

As far as last year- I believe he re-injured it because he had to sit out much of the spring did he not?

Bully13
07-28-2013, 10:31 AM
Well, let me say this- a broken collarbone pretty much ended my Dad's college baseball career. He was out for over a year basically because he couldn't throw. The issue is if the clavicle is broken, it's hard to bring your arm straight up and then put enough power behind the throw to get the ball downfield.

As far as last year- I believe he re-injured it because he had to sit out much of the spring did he not?

I certainly hope this is a re-injury everybody is getting so juiced up over. if not, then this excitement is quite confusing.

NewTweederEndzoneDance
07-28-2013, 09:34 PM

I have no idea. I was told late last year he was hurt and would have to have surgery in the offseason. Maybe he did get reinjured though. Like I said, just what I was told at that time. I think it came up when they were playing UGA and I started bashing him to an Ole Miss buddy of mine, because his arm looked like a wet noodle on several longer throws. They told me that he was injured against Tulane and was playing through it but would have surgery in the offseason. I assume that is what kept him out for the spring, but that's just an assumption.

No first hand info on my part. Hell, I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn last night.

FISHDAWG
07-29-2013, 08:36 AM
He didn't look injured to me in the Egg bowl ... let's ask Moncrief

hometowndawg
07-29-2013, 09:13 AM

The wounded duck he threw that Cam Lawrence picked off definitely looked injured. That was an easy touchdown if Bo could have made the throw. Cam and other person in our secondary were badly beat on that play. But no surprise our secondary got beat that game...

DawgInMemphis
07-29-2013, 09:29 AM

That guy must really be hungry. They're always talking about feeding him.

RougeDawg
07-29-2013, 02:26 PM

And the 30-40 yard safety cushion Wilson had our DB's in? All of those passes were Moncrief getting in that window, making the catch and then getting tackled by a Safety downfield. If we play bump and run man on him all game and attempt just a minimal rush/blitz scheme that game, Wallace and Moncrief are all but non existent. I've never left a MSU game home/away before the final seconds ticked off, but I left middle 3rd when I saw Wilson was going to keep us in that shitty defense the entire game.

I also noticed a lack of zip in his arm as the year wore on, but teams and DCo's never seemed to press the issue against them.

bocfarm
07-29-2013, 02:39 PM
I was told by someone close to OM football that Wallace is fine going into the fall practice, their biggest concerns are protecting him through that 5 game stretch starting on 9/14

RougeDawg
07-29-2013, 02:54 PM
I was told by someone close to OM football that Wallace is fine going into the fall practice, their biggest concerns are protecting him through that 5 game stretch starting on 9/14

For one, them telling anyone about something that might impact the way defenses approach them is highly unlikely. And secondly,for them to tell their Rival and the fan base most likely to spread the word the fastest, is ridiculous to even begin to fathom as a Bulldog fan.

I sure as hell don't want any of our football ops people spreading word about potential impact injuries like this. Its a no win situation for any program.

bocfarm
07-29-2013, 02:59 PM
For one, them telling anyone about something that might impact the way defenses approach them is highly unlikely. And secondly,for them to tell their Rival and the fan base most likely to spread the word the fastest, is ridiculous to even begin to fathom as a Bulldog fan.

I sure as hell don't want any of our football ops people spreading word about potential impact injuries like this. Its a no win situation for any program.

ok

Coach34
07-29-2013, 03:02 PM
I think he will be fine- the only question will be arm strength in delivering the ball down the field.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
07-29-2013, 03:37 PM
No, we should ask CJ since he probably felt no pain.

bocfarm
07-29-2013, 03:49 PM
All I'm saying is he was less healthy in the Egg Bowl than he is now, hence the reason for the surgery. It's not like a coach on staff told me, it was a very well connected booster who is a personal friend. Secondly, how would it impact the defensive game plan for opposing teams? It's not like he's in a wheel chair.

RougeDawg
07-29-2013, 04:07 PM
ok

Releasing any damning information in regards to his health, and to consider the source when hearing things of this nature.

RougeDawg
07-29-2013, 04:15 PM
All I'm saying is he was less healthy in the Egg Bowl than he is now, hence the reason for the surgery. It's not like a coach on staff told me, it was a very well connected booster who is a personal friend. Secondly, how would it impact the defensive game plan for opposing teams? It's not like he's in a wheel chair.

scheme against OM. If a defense is only playing for the short, quick hitter passes, because QB's arm is injured they will take advantage. Why keep DB's deep in coverage on WR decoys going deep if QB cant get it to them? If he truly is limited to his distance down field, 4 wins may be ceiling, because I don't see Brunetti getting the job done. SEC Defenses will be chomping at the bit to play OM if Freeze has a lame duck QB back there. We will all see in a little over 4 weeks, if the arm is repaired or not.

Todd4State
07-29-2013, 04:52 PM
scheme against OM. If a defense is only playing for the short, quick hitter passes, because QB's arm is injured they will take advantage. Why keep DB's deep in coverage on WR decoys going deep if QB cant get it to them? If he truly is limited to his distance down field, 4 wins may be ceiling, because I don't see Brunetti getting the job done. SEC Defenses will be chomping at the bit to play OM if Freeze has a lame duck QB back there. We will all see in a little over 4 weeks, if the arm is repaired or not.

Exactly. Everyone will play 8 in the box and dare them to throw. And it will force them to slow their tempo down because they will want to shorten the game- which is not what Freeze wants to do early.

bocfarm
07-29-2013, 04:55 PM
Their not putting a QB out there that can only throw 10-15 yard passes, simple as that

MarketingBully01
07-29-2013, 05:02 PM
Their schedule is front loaded. The reason I think that they go 5-7 is that they will more then likely start 2-6. From a momentum stand point, it won't be easy to recover from a 2-6 start. That isn't easy when a QB is recovering from surgery like that.

They will also get everyone's best game against them. They won't sneak up on anyone this year like they did last year. Vandy almost pulled the upset against USC in the first game last year. IMO, they will be just as pumped. The key to Ole Miss's season is that Vandy game. Should be interesting right out of the gate.

woozman
07-29-2013, 05:46 PM
Their not putting a QB out there that can only throw 10-15 yard passes, simple as that

I'm not necessarily buying the various Bo rumors in this thread. However, to your point - who would they put at QB if Bo could only throw those 10-15 yard passes? They really don't have any other options besides a couple of freshmen.

MSUDawg4Life
07-29-2013, 05:51 PM
I'm not necessarily buying the various Bo rumors in this thread. However, to your point - who would they put at QB if Bo could only throw those 10-15 yard passes? They really don't have any other options besides a couple of freshmen.

Going to be interesting to watch, isn't it?

Todd4State
07-29-2013, 05:53 PM
Going to be interesting to watch, isn't it?

We'll find out what's what on August 29th.

bocfarm
07-29-2013, 07:50 PM

Hopefully Brunetti, he stinks but he's been in the system and better than the two freshmen at this point.

Political Hack
07-29-2013, 08:09 PM
who has more career TD passes?

Brunetti, QB, Ole Miss

-or-

Ryan Longwell, K, Minnesota Vikings?

BiscuitEater
07-30-2013, 04:17 PM
who has more career TD passes?

Brunetti, QB, Ole Miss

-or-

Ryan Longwell, K, Minnesota Vikings?