8--John Holland, 2B
9--Ryan Gridley, SS

This is just one of many scenarios.

Saltydog
10-24-2015, 10:37 AM
nt

Homedawg
10-24-2015, 12:16 PM
I don't think once it gets to sec time you see Reynolds much at third. Dh or of.

MsStateBaseball
10-24-2015, 12:59 PM
Rooker and Kruger have to hit. So many ways to have the lineup. Hump needs to stay 6 or 7 to relax him to hit. Anyway Rooker, Kruger and Collins are better hitters.

MsStateBaseball
10-24-2015, 01:02 PM
Kruger signed w Oregon out of California HS. He is very talented. Gene said Collins and Marrero are better defensively. I would love for Kruger to play 3B his senior year. I believe he hit the most doubles during the fall.

Goldendawg
10-24-2015, 01:17 PM
Don't count out Alexander for major time even for a Freshman.

Homedawg
10-24-2015, 01:27 PM
Don't count out Alexander for major time even for a Freshman.

He is going to start some early for sure. Best man wins. I'm not counting him out. Actually I think he's going to win the job.

MsStateBaseball
10-24-2015, 01:28 PM
Read my infield post, I certainly don't. Alexander will play a whole bunch. But this lineup is on fall. Lots of freshmen will get better and start or play a lot.

dawggone
10-29-2015, 10:42 PM
Been on this site for years checking in on our baseball program finally decided its time to put in my 2 cents worth. Here is my first post.

Starting Lineup for the spring:
1--Jacob Robson-CF - Robson led team in average last year .324, stolen bases 21, hit .309 in the fall, plus runner, excellent defender
2--Cody Brown-LF -2nd on team in average last year .309 and in the fall .340, led team in extra base hits last year with 17, plus runner, excellent defender
3--Jack Kruger-C - Showed excellent bat control and gap power in the fall, led team in average in the fall .442, will catch if his arm heals, didn't throw in the fall
4--Brent Rooker-RF - Lots of power, should add some pop in the 4 hole, needs to learn to hit breaking balls cause he's gonna see a lot of them
5--Gavin Collins-3B - Good gap power, played well at 3rd in the fall, strong arm, should add some protection to help Rooker see some fastballs
6--Nate Lowe-1B - Hit .300 for the fall, big body with some power, hopefully will add some protection so Collins can see some good pitches, defense is suspect
7--Elih Marrero, Reid Humphries, Cole Gordon, Jacob Barfield-DH - Lots of options here, go with who ever is hot and lefty righty matchups etc..
8--John Holland-2B - going with the experience here, good defender, not a lot of power, needs to hit for a better average this year
9--Ryan Gridley, Luke Alexander - Big question mark here, both about the same at this point, Gridley weak with the bat, both appear to be solid defenders, Alexander has more range

Luke Reynolds - will get some at bats but has no defensive position, weak at 3rd and over the fall bad in the outfield, saw him misread multiple fly balls in the fall and completely miss 2 routine fly balls. In fairness though he came in as an infielder but just has to many errors to be anything other than a DH possibly.

CadaverDawg
10-29-2015, 10:58 PM
Been on this site for years checking in on our baseball program finally decided its time to put in my 2 cents worth. Here is my first post.

1--Jacob Robson-CF - Robson led team in average last year .324, stolen bases 21, hit .309 in the fall, plus runner, excellent defender
2--Cody Brown-LF -2nd on team in average last year .309 and in the fall .340, led team in extra base hits last year with 17, plus runner, excellent defender
3--Jack Kruger-C - Showed excellent bat control and gap power in the fall, led team in average in the fall .442, will catch if his arm heals, didn't throw in the fall
4--Brent Rooker-RF - Lots of power, should add some pop in the 4 hole, needs to learn to hit breaking balls cause he's gonna see a lot of them
5--Gavin Collins-3B - Good gap power, played well at 3rd in the fall, strong arm, should add some protection to help Rooker see some fastballs
6--Nate Lowe-1B - Hit .300 for the fall, big body with some power, hopefully will add some protection so Collins can see some good pitches, defense is suspect
7--Elih Marrero, Reid Humphries, Cole Gordon, Jacob Barfield-DH - Lots of options here, go with who ever is hot and lefty righty matchups etc..
8--John Holland-2B - going with the experience here, good defender, not a lot of power, needs to hit for a better average this year
9--Ryan Gridley, Luke Alexander - Big question mark here, both about the same at this point, Gridley weak with the bat, both appear to be solid defenders, Alexander has more range

Luke Reynolds - will get some at bats but has no defensive position, weak at 3rd and over the fall bad in the outfield, saw him misread multiple fly balls in the fall and completely miss 2 routine fly balls. In fairness though he came in as an infielder but just has to many errors to be anything other than a DH possibly.

Good stuff. Looks pretty accurate based on scrimmage results and updates. It seems like we finally have some power bats, but no way to get them all in the lineup. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out. Cohen may set a new starting lineups record with this many quality sticks to choose from. And that's saying something, Bc his current record is a doozy.

Great first post by the way. Post more. (If you follow this post with a post about your Blog, Facebook page, or Homerun prediction for 2016...I recant all previous comments about you**)

ScottH
10-29-2015, 11:47 PM
From a freshman's dad last week - expect Marrero to log the most innings behind the plate this year.

I'm reporting what I was told not testifying to its accuracy come spring.

Todd4State
10-30-2015, 12:56 AM
My guess/what I would do:

C- Marrero. My only question about him was calling pitches and handling the staff. Everything I've heard on that front sounds good.
1B- Lowe. If he has trouble adjusting, we'll try Cole Gordon.
2B- Gridley. I'm expecting him to take a step forward, we'll see if he does.
3B- Collins. I've heard talk about him catching, but this is his best spot for the team.
SS- Alexander. I agree with those that say he will play a lot.
LF- Michael Smith/Cody Brown- Smith can fly and can make highlight reel catches. Brown grinds and does things that keep him in the lineup.
CF- Robson- Probably the best leadoff guy in the SEC.
RF- Rooker- I expect him to take a huge step forward.
DH- Reynolds- He is not a good fielder, but he can hit.

I'd strongly consider moving Humphreys to relief pitcher if I were MSU. Too many holes in his offensive game. He'll hit a few home runs, but I doubt he will hit for average.

bgover4
10-30-2015, 09:07 AM

I like your lineup and it looks like some good stratagy has been put into it, but I don't trust Cohen to be traditional. He will have Robson batting after the slowest guy on the team im sure.

dawggone
10-30-2015, 09:50 AM
Good stuff. Looks pretty accurate based on scrimmage results and updates. It seems like we finally have some power bats, but no way to get them all in the lineup. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out. Cohen may set a new starting lineups record with this many quality sticks to choose from. And that's saying something, Bc his current record is a doozy.

Great first post by the way. Post more. (If you follow this post with a post about your Blog, Facebook page, or Homerun prediction for 2016...I recant all previous comments about you**)

Thanks for the welcome. I promise you I will not be promoting any blogs, Facebook pages of any kind. I just like baseball and specifically the dawgs. I've read a lot of the posts through the years and finally decided would make some posts to interact with some fellow fans. I tend to be a #'s/stats guy because as they say, the numbers don't lie but it's always good to get others outlook on things. I think this club has loads of potential, biggest question marks for me are middle infield and bullpen. My humble opinion,
but with a decent bullpen last year we would have won at least another 10 to 15 games, lost count of late inning leads we blew. Look forward to the season and sharing thoughts, opinions etc...

AlSwearengen
10-30-2015, 09:55 AM
From a freshman's dad last week - expect Marrero to log the most innings behind the plate this year.

I'm reporting what I was told not testifying to its accuracy come spring.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit. Coaches will take a great defensive catcher that hits .200 over a suspect defensive catcher that hits .310. It has sounded like Marrero has been impressive all the way around though.

dawggone
10-30-2015, 10:20 AM
I agree with you there, defense at catcher and short stop prevail usually over batting stats. I injected Kruger at catcher and Marrero in DH role but those could easily be reversed. It's a nice problem to have though 2 to 3 choices to choose from. I know hardly anyone will hit .400's for the season as Kruger did in the fall but hopefully he will be in the mid .300's in the middle of the order. A word of caution though, we have had some guys transfer in, in the fall and light it up then fade in the season, Cody Walker comes to mind, If I remember correctly he hit over .400 his transfer year in the fall. Hope that's not the case with Kruger. Certainly not taking away his fall accomplishments just applying past learned cautionary measures.

preachermatt83
10-30-2015, 10:32 AM
Come SEC play Merrero will be the starter behind the plate. He is unreal good and gane ready right now.

Backwoodsdawg
10-30-2015, 10:47 AM
I don't think once it gets to sec time you see Reynolds much at third. Dh or of.

Homedawg I think you are 100% correct!!! I see another freshman starting there by that time of the year to be honest especially if Collins is going to catch some. Watched more scrimmages this year than I ever have before trying to get a read on this new group and there are some great dirtbag type players who leave it all on the field. I personally think there are at least 3 to 4 freshman that will contribute greatly to this years teams success.