PDA

View Full Version : Fall Ball Breakdown: Infield

MsStateBaseball
10-24-2015, 09:47 AM
First Base

Junior transfer Nathaniel Lowe is the frontrunner. Fr RS Cole Gordon is right behind him. Sophomore transfer Jacob Barfield moved over from 3B is the other possibility. All 3 can hit a HR pretty far. Lowe and Gordon bat left.

Second Base

Senior John Holland will start for the second year. He bats left. Can really turn the DP. One of the leaders. His backup will be freshman Delvin Zinn. Freshman Hunter Stovall plays here too but I see Stovall more at 3B.

Short Stop

Sophomore Ryan Gridley returns after a good freshman season but is being pushed heavily by freshman Luke Alexander. Alexander is a switch hitter. He made a few sparkling defensive plays in the fall. I see Gridley with the edge based on experience but Alexander will gain that in the spring and both will play a lot.

Third Base

One of the sore spots from last year. Regulars Matt Spruill, a senior, and junior Luke Reynolds return. Reynolds who bats left will start here some and may play in left field too along with DHing. Junior Gavin Collins will start here a lot in 2016. He played 3B in HS when not catching. He is good defender at 3B and C. Freshman Hunter Stovall will mainly be the backup here. He showed in the fall he can take the hot corner and can swing the bat with a little pop too. I see Collins and Reynolds starting a lot with Stovall playing too.

Catcher

One of the bright spots of the fall. The aforementioned Collins will start some here too. He should be All-SEC. He is coming off a hand injury that limited his time hitting this fall. But he will play start each game at C or 3B. Junior transfer Jack Kruger made a huge splash offensively this fall. He is a capable catcher. I have him as my starting DH. Last time I checked he lead all players in batting average in the fall. He hit a ton of doubles. Super freshman Elih Marrero, a superb player, will start here some or play a bunch. He is a switch hitter. He has it all: strong arm, great defender, switch hitter. He is capable of hitting a few HR's. Listed here also is senior Josh Lovelady and freshman Hunter Stovall. But I see Collins, Kruger and Marerro getting the most starts and playing time. This position is loaded.

Fighting4dawgs
10-26-2015, 09:15 AM
Pretty good breakdown! Thanks.

MsStateBaseball
10-26-2015, 11:50 AM
Thanks!