PDA

View Full Version : I bet Cohen is losing his mind...

HoopsDawg
10-23-2015, 11:14 PM
over the lack of bunting in these MLB playoffs. I mean they just don't sacrifice bunt much. Hmmm

engie
10-23-2015, 11:28 PM
Say what you will -- Cohen would be playing in extra innings right now...

KC defies SABR at every turn. They do bunt, steal, hit and run, play small ball, use the pitching staff unconventionally, run the bases unconventionally, etc...

mstatefan91
10-23-2015, 11:30 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BkzHAttCUAIPiNF.jpg

And Engie, based on what evidence? Not saying you are wrong. Just saying that there is no way you could know.

engie
10-23-2015, 11:35 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BkzHAttCUAIPiNF.jpg

And Engie, based on what evidence? Not saying you are wrong. Just saying that there is no way you could know.

Conventional baseball wisdom. 50% success rate with 2 opportunities to get the bunt down. Even if you get the first guy gunned at the plate, you still have the tying run on third and another opportunity to get it down.

That was textbook SABR situational shortcoming.

mstatefan91
10-23-2015, 11:40 PM
Conventional baseball wisdom. 50% success rate with 2 opportunities to get the bunt down. Even if you get the first guy gunned at the plate, you still have the tying run on third and another opportunity to get it down.

That was textbook SABR situational shortcoming.

Wouldn't have turned out that way. Cohen would have bunted the guy from first to second (one runner on and one out).

I don't know the stats of that exact situation but I have seen our team bunt ourselves into that situation countless times and then not get the run we needed.

Btw, I am not pro or anti bunting.

Todd4State
10-23-2015, 11:44 PM
Say what you will -- Cohen would be playing in extra innings right now...

KC defies SABR at every turn. They do bunt, steal, hit and run, play small ball, use the pitching staff unconventionally, run the bases unconventionally, etc...

It's about WHEN they do it. They integrate the situation and then take advantage of it rather than blindly follow what is written in a book.

Random example- if they know an OF has a weak arm and Cain is on base, they're going to force the issue and probably succeed because the skill level of the runner trumps the skill level of the outfielder and what "the book" says is irrelevant because it is a gross generalization.

Todd4State
10-23-2015, 11:48 PM
Wouldn't have turned out that way. Cohen would have bunted the guy from first to second (one runner on and one out).

I don't know the stats of that exact situation but I have seen our team bunt ourselves into that situation countless times and then not get the run we needed.

Btw, I am not pro or anti bunting.

We've also gotten a lot of bunt hits because of Robson and others that has led to some big innings at times. It's not so much that we're just trying to move the runner up- we're trying to take advantage of our team speed and trying to get runners on. Doing that sometimes results in an out.

It works even better when you have power though because then you have more of a threat to get an even bigger inning.

mstatefan91
10-23-2015, 11:51 PM
We've also gotten a lot of bunt hits because of Robson and others that has led to some big innings at times. It's not so much that we're just trying to move the runner up- we're trying to take advantage of our team speed and trying to get runners on. Doing that sometimes results in an out.

It works even better when you have power though because then you have more of a threat to get an even bigger inning.

Like I said, I'm not anti or pro bunt. Numbers or personnel. Just saying what I saw all last season and the season before. And it sucked

engie
10-23-2015, 11:56 PM
It's about WHEN they do it. They integrate the situation and then take advantage of it rather than blindly follow what is written in a book.

Random example- if they know an OF has a weak arm and Cain is on base, they're going to force the issue and probably succeed because the skill level of the runner trumps the skill level of the outfielder and what "the book" says is irrelevant because it is a gross generalization.

Exactly. All stuff the average fan misses. Can't be read and understood in a book.

engie
10-23-2015, 11:58 PM
Like I said, I'm not anti or pro bunt. Numbers or personnel. Just saying what I saw all last season and the season before. And it sucked

No one disagrees with this.

Just was a bad thread to try to bash Cohen tho -- when the mlb manager most similar to him just became the first guy in franchise history to take them to two World Series appearances...

Todd4State
10-24-2015, 12:06 AM

Just was a bad thread to try to bash Cohen tho -- when the mlb manager most similar to him just became the first guy in franchise history to take them to two World Series appearances...

And interestingly enough, Cohen has taken us further than any coach in our baseball history.

We just have to keep getting elite talent like our freshmen class this year- and keep going to Omaha.

And the more I learn about Dietrich, the more I like him. Specifically his attack the hitters and strike zone philosophy and the fact that he has a history of freshmen pitchers producing. We probably have a NC right now if Lindgren had his 2014 form in 2013. Either as a starter or a reliever.

CadaverDawg
10-24-2015, 08:52 AM
A bunting thread in October? How can Will James stay out of this thread?

Death, Taxes, Bunting threads on EliteDawgs

KB21
10-24-2015, 09:03 AM

....and is a Bobby Cox protege I might add.

Kansas City's line up is exactly the type of line up John Cohen wants at Mississippi State. They have great balance in that line up. They have some pop with Moustakas, Hosmer, Cain, and Morales. While none of them are big time home run hitters, they hit in the 15-20 range. KC was also 3rd in the AL in doubles and 4th in triples. They were 2nd in stolen bases, so they have speed and base running in their line up. They are very difficult to strike out. They put the ball in play, and when you make contact to put the ball in play and don't strike out, you have a very good chance at having a good offense. Sabermetric folks will say they don't walk enough. Their 6.3% walk rate was the lowest in the AL, but a walk is not the end all be all of offensive stats the way sabr folks make it out to be.