PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Cookout & Drinking Thread: Glory days edition

BeastMan
10-23-2015, 08:44 PM
My HS team got honored tonight so I've been runnin around at a reunion of sorts. Ga Blue catering was dinner.

State82
10-24-2015, 02:36 PM
I'm going with the applewood smoked bacon wrapped redfish chunks with teriyaki glaze. Thanks to BeastMan. My favorite redfish recipe now.

BeastMan
10-24-2015, 05:05 PM
I'm going with the applewood smoked bacon wrapped redfish chunks with teriyaki glaze. Thanks to BeastMan. My favorite redfish recipe now.

Ha. I'm glad somebody else tried it. I may need to do that soon. it's been awhile.

I'm having an abita amber. Wings about to go on grill.

BeastMan
10-24-2015, 10:16 PM
Experimented tonight. Mixed Cattleman's Mississippi Honey BBBQ and Lazy Mag Southern Pecan 50/50 for a baste. Sauce was good. I want to slow smoke wings or drums again using this baste. Take my time instead of hot grill.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/B2E282D5-BF62-4ADB-9EDD-256FB6C3836A_zpssxlua47k.jpg

State82
10-25-2015, 10:02 AM
I will say this. Even though it's fine grub, any recipe involving the term "bacon wrapped" is a pain in the butt to prepare. But the redfish is well worth the effort.

Uncle Ruckus
10-25-2015, 10:21 AM
I'm going to need that recipe please sir. I saved the pictures you posted a while back and have always wanted to make them.

BeastMan
10-25-2015, 11:10 AM
I'm going to need that recipe please sir. I saved the pictures you posted a while back and have always wanted to make them.

Pretty simple. I very lightly season the redfish but be careful with salt since you're wrapping with bacon. Cut redfish into proportional chunks. As I get closer to the tail I fold it over to create relatively equal thicknesses. Buy thin cut bacon because it takes longer to cook than the fish. It takes anywhere from a third to half a piece of bacon to wrap each chunk depending on the size of your chunks. Wrap and then stick on a skewer. 3-4 chunks per skewer is about right. Place on oiled grill, not burning hot. As soon as the bacon is cooked and not a second before, I baste with teriyaki sauce. I used a store bought jar. As soon as the terriyaki sauce gets good and hot I pull then and put then on a pan. The most important thing is the bacon. You have to make sure that pork is done. As State82 said, it has a tedious prep but it's pretty good on the back end.