PDA

View Full Version : Stat I had no clue we led the SEC in...

CadaverDawg
10-23-2015, 02:58 PM
Plays over 40 yards.

We have 13 plays of 40+ yards, which leads the SEC.

Not sure if it means anything at all...I just didn't know we had that many big plays this year on offense.

BHildreth3
10-23-2015, 03:17 PM
I want to say that we also led the league last year in that category. That's amazing. I had no idea we had that many plus 40 yard plays.

thf24
10-23-2015, 03:19 PM
This along with the surprising YPC rank the other day makes me think our weaknesses on offense aren't quite as bad as we think, that we just need to do some situational things better.

ShotgunDawg
10-23-2015, 03:25 PM
This along with the surprising YPC rank the other day makes me think our weaknesses on offense aren't quite as bad as we think, that we just need to do some situational things better.

This

I've been saying for a while that this team is extremely close to being really good. We've had some situational things go bad and turnovers at bad times. It's been an odd year, but, if your looking at peripheral numbers that could predict future outcomes, MSU isn't a bad team bet on finishing strong.

CadaverDawg
10-23-2015, 03:28 PM
Well, one thing nobody really talks about is that even though the defense has been ok, all of that bending we do hurts the offense. Some games worse than others. Not making excuses for the O, Bc they need to step up, but when you get fewer possessions each game Bc your D is on the field all night, that gives you less chances to put up points. Also, when you do a lot of bending, it creates poor field position for your offense, causing them to go on 80 yard Drives to score TD's.

Again, O is our bigger issue right now, but the D needs to start giving them some shorter fields and more possessions too.

I wonder how many possessions per game we are averaging this year vs last year? Would be interesting to see. Seems like we are having far more 3 and outs offensively this year, and forcing quite a few less 3 and outs defensively this year, in comparison to last year. That makes a lot of difference.

QuadrupleOption
10-23-2015, 03:43 PM
Plays over 40 yards.

We have 13 plays of 40+ yards, which leads the SEC.

Not sure if it means anything at all...I just didn't know we had that many big plays this year on offense.

Well that doesn't fit the "Check Down Charlie" narrative that's sprung up around here the past couple of weeks.

Coach34
10-23-2015, 03:49 PM
Well that doesn't fit the "Check Down Charlie" narrative that's sprung up around here the past couple of weeks.

You realize we could say- throw a sideways pass to Fred Ross and he take it sayyyyy- 60 yards vs Troy don't you?

You also realize I'm sure than Fitz and Staley own at least 5 of those 40+ plays right?

QuadrupleOption
10-23-2015, 03:59 PM
You realize we could say- throw a sideways pass to Fred Ross and he take it sayyyyy- 60 yards vs Troy don't you?

You also realize I'm sure than Fitz and Staley own at least 5 of those 40+ plays right?

Yeah. You realize that those plays count, right?

Coach34
10-23-2015, 04:11 PM
Yeah. You realize that those plays count, right?

yep- and those plays support "Checkdown Charlie"- they don't disprove it. Our back QB's having 5 or 6 of our 13 40+ plays in their limited playing time damn Near proves the Checkdown Charlie nickname.

Really Clark?
10-23-2015, 04:26 PM
Unless I miss counted I have Dak with 9 of our 40+ yard plays (passing or rushing), Fitz with 3, Dear with 1. We also have Holloway with the 100 yard kick off TD and Ross 77 yard punt return that's not counted so must be just offense 40+ yard plays.

JohnnyQuid
10-23-2015, 04:29 PM

don't let facts get in the way of a good agenda.

QuadrupleOption
10-23-2015, 04:30 PM
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/prescott-passes-eli-manning-on-all-time-sec-td-responsibility-list/

I'm not sure why people are running down the best. damn. quarterback. that's ever worn our jersey.

But I guess we have nothing better to do.

Coach34
10-23-2015, 04:31 PM
Staley had one on a long TD pass

Really Clark?
10-23-2015, 04:35 PM
Staley had one on a long TD pass

Just short of the 40+. 37 yards to Morrow.

QuadrupleOption
10-23-2015, 04:49 PM
Look, I don't think anyone is going to argue that our offensive production is not what it was last season. But it's due to our running game not being where it needs to be, not because of Dak Prescott. All this BS about him hanging receivers out to dry and the funny nicknames aren't going to change that fact.

Even with all that we have a damn good shot of being 7-2 when we face off against Bama in a few weeks.

Really Clark?
10-23-2015, 04:54 PM
One thing that Dak is impressive with is 3rd and 10+ passing. He leads the league in making the first down, yards, QBR and TD.

ScoobaDawg
10-23-2015, 04:58 PM
Well, one thing nobody really talks about is that even though the defense has been ok, all of that bending we do hurts the offense. Some games worse than others. Not making excuses for the O, Bc they need to step up, but when you get fewer possessions each game Bc your D is on the field all night, that gives you less chances to put up points. Also, when you do a lot of bending, it creates poor field position for your offense, causing them to go on 80 yard Drives to score TD's.

Again, O is our bigger issue right now, but the D needs to start giving them some shorter fields and more possessions too.

I wonder how many possessions per game we are averaging this year vs last year? Would be interesting to see. Seems like we are having far more 3 and outs offensively this year, and forcing quite a few less 3 and outs defensively this year, in comparison to last year. That makes a lot of difference.

I'm working on drive chart comparisons now
A quicker way to compare but not completely accurate. Time of possession.
------------------------------------------MSU - Opponent
2014 TIME OF POSSESSION/Game (http://www.hailstate.com/fls/16800/stats/fb/2014/teamcume.htm) 29:37 30:21
2015 TIME OF POSSESSION/Game (http://www.hailstate.com/fls/16800/stats/fb/2015/teamcume.htm) 23:43 36:17

Coach34
10-23-2015, 05:26 PM
Look, I don't think anyone is going to argue that our offensive production is not what it was last season. But it's due to our running game not being where it needs to be, not because of Dak Prescott. All this BS about him hanging receivers out to dry and the funny nicknames aren't going to change that fact.

Even with all that we have a damn good shot of being 7-2 when we face off against Bama in a few weeks.

It is a straight up fact that if he doesnt push the ball down the field more he will get our WR's hurt by Safeties

His 1st half passing chart vs Tech dont lie:

27 passes in the 1st half- 24 of them 11 yards or less down the field- nothing past 20. Checkdown Charlie

Those are facts- now that we will be back playing SEC defenses- you will see what I'm talking about if we dont push it down the field more. It's the whole reason we arent scoring points in SEC games.

DownwardDawg
10-23-2015, 05:31 PM
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/prescott-passes-eli-manning-on-all-time-sec-td-responsibility-list/

I'm not sure why people are running down the best. damn. quarterback. that's ever worn our jersey.

But I guess we have nothing better to do.

^^^This^^^

confucius say
10-23-2015, 05:38 PM

Not sure bout possessions, but we are definitely running fewer plays.

confucius say
10-23-2015, 05:41 PM
It is a straight up fact that if he doesnt push the ball down the field more he will get our WR's hurt by Safeties

27 passes in the 1st half- 24 of them 11 yards or less down the field- nothing past 20. Checkdown Charlie

Those are facts- now that we will be back playing SEC defenses- you will see what I'm talking about if we dont push it down the field more. It's the whole reason we arent scoring points in SEC games.

For clarity purposes, when you use the term "checkdown," you are just speaking of short passes right? Not actually dumping it off to a safety valve or a checkdown? Bc 90% of dak's underneath passes are primary reads, not the traditional checkdown option.

Coach34
10-23-2015, 05:54 PM
For clarity purposes, when you use the term "checkdown," you are just speaking of short passes right? Not actually dumping it off to a safety valve or a checkdown? Bc 90% of dak's underneath passes are primary reads, not the traditional checkdown option.

Whether its short pass by design or Dakota checking down- we throw too many short routes. We have got to push the ball down the field some more to be successful in scoring points from here on out.

ILOATHEBears
10-23-2015, 06:39 PM

I agree with this 100%. Wondered all year why he doesn't take shots down the seam or the 20 yard back shoulder that he did last year.

ScoobaDawg
10-23-2015, 06:51 PM
Not sure bout possessions, but we are definitely running fewer plays.
MSU 2014 77 plays per game, Opp 75.1 plays per game
MSU 2015 64.5 plays per game, Opp 75.1 plays per game

confucius say
10-23-2015, 09:40 PM
MSU 2014 77 plays per game, Opp 75.1 plays per game
MSU 2015 64.5 plays per game, Opp 75.1 plays per game

Exactly my point. Thanks for the work

confucius say
10-23-2015, 09:44 PM
Whether its short pass by design or Dakota checking down- we throw too many short routes. We have got to push the ball down the field some more to be successful in scoring points from here on out.

I don't don't disagree with that. I think we need to take 3-4 shots down the field a half.

the59dawg
10-23-2015, 10:26 PM

I'd say the # is three instead of five. One each against Troy and one more by Fitz against Tech

nsvltndog
10-23-2015, 10:50 PM
I can't help but wonder how many years it took Croom's West Coast offense to have 13 plays of 40+ yards. In that era a 40 yard drive used to be a major accomplishment.

HoopsDawg
10-23-2015, 10:59 PM

Just want to say you are a straight up piece of shit for disparaging Dak. It's your M.O. to create lame nicknames for people you don't like. We are all familiar with Standsbury and The Recruiter.

Now you have resorted to calling Dak Checkdown Charlie and Mullen- Bill Walsh. Do you not get enough clicks on this board or are you just a fckin asshole?

stalkingpoon
10-23-2015, 11:48 PM
Hit the nail on the heads Hoops.

Coach34
10-24-2015, 05:35 AM
I'm just an asshole

Who said I don't like Dak? I love Dakota. Checkdown Charlie is not some terrible nickname- it's describing his play this year. Some of you just amaze me sometime.

QuadrupleOption
10-24-2015, 05:54 AM
Just remember that even with our 'terrible' QB play we're still one missed field goal from being 6-1 right now.

SallyStansbury
10-24-2015, 08:47 AM
In defense of 34, he has been on Dak's bandwagon since forever. Just because Mullen has been in Dak's ear whether fussing about interceptions or calling short dump off routes to excess, that isn't Dak's fault, it is Mullen's. The assignment of blame would not be needed but opposing teams have identified this trend and are bringing up their safeties to punish us. Until we incorporate more downfield routes, we can expect more of the same.

With the emergence of a RB, please please please, and gelling of our Oline, my hope is we can take our shots downfield without Dak getting killed. If all this happens seamlessly, we could win out.

Just because you are right doesn't mean you should be an asshole about it.

confucius say
10-24-2015, 09:28 AM
In defense of 34, he has been on Dak's bandwagon since forever. Just because Mullen has been in Dak's ear whether fussing about interceptions or calling short dump off routes to excess, that isn't Dak's fault, it is Mullen's. The assignment of blame would not be needed but opposing teams have identified this trend and are bringing up their safeties to punish us. Until we incorporate more downfield routes, we can expect more of the same.

With the emergence of a RB, please please please, and gelling of our Oline, my hope is we can take our shots downfield without Dak getting killed. If all this happens seamlessly, we could win out.

Just because you are right doesn't mean you should be an asshole about it.

Opposing teams are not walking their safeties down against us. That is a false narrative.

Coach34
10-24-2015, 10:06 AM
Opposing teams are not walking their safeties down against us. That is a false narrative.

I dont know what games you are watching the last few weeks- but it isnt ours.

SheltonChoked
10-24-2015, 10:46 AM
Coach34 had a history of liking to stir things up be being an asshole. He likes to be right about stuff and he likes to stir debate. It's not enough for him to just make a point, he really has to be an ass about it.

Just ignore the insults and try to debate him on his points.

However, it seems like he is getting to the point where he is done with Dan. I don't see it right now as to why.

sleepy dawg
10-24-2015, 11:09 AM
I'm just an asshole

Who said I don't like Dak? I love Dakota. Checkdown Charlie is not some terrible nickname- it's describing his play this year. Some of you just amaze me sometime.

See, there's three kinds of people: dicks, pussies, and assholes. Pussies think everyone can get along, and dicks just want to **** all the time without thinking it through. But then you got your assholes. And all the assholes want us to shit all over everything. So, pussies may get mad at dicks once in a while, because pussies get ****ed by dicks. But dicks also **** assholes. And if they didn't **** the assholes, you know what you'd get? You'd get your dick and your ***** all covered in shit.

The point is, **** you asshole.