PDA

View Full Version : Now what? (A response to Will's injury)

Coach 57
10-23-2015, 12:33 PM
I've always taught that football is like a kid who spends his/her allowance. Once it's spent it's SPENT. I remember my grandparents giving me a dollar and sometimes they'd say "don't spend it all in one place!" Only they really weren't kidding. But you may be asking: "What in the world does this have to do with Redmond's injury?" Well let me see if I can help.

No matter offense or defense you have 11 guys (proverbial dollar). How you spend that "dollar" is entirely up to you. But on defense (which I'm more accustomed to dealing with) we have to NOW be more wise in how we spend our dollar more than ever. And by which it WILL effect the offense, I don't care WHAT anybody else says....it will. As some have noticed we have been more in a 4-2-5 set deleting Jackson. There are two ways we can approach this: 1.) We can play off more and more zone and give up more short routes (stops, digs, sticks, outs etc etc). It will prevent more deep plays (which we've been better at all year mostly) and keep everything in our face. This is by far the safest way to go! It allows us when the "window closes" inside the 15/10 yd line to get more aggressive. But since we no longer have a legit shutdown guy in one on one match ups it DOES HURT US BADLY! 2.) We can challenge whomever takes Will's spot to be more aggressive at the LOS and jam the WRs and expect him to create windows of opportunity create more pass rush! But will create a greater percentage of down the field opps for big plays and that (based on our offenses performances) could be catastrophic! I think Manny will mix and sprinkle these in when he sees fit. It does handcuff him though as a DC.

What would I do? I will use rolling coverages and hybrid coverages to confuse the QB for more INTs. Here's how, just as a safety can be "looked off" by the QB he also can roll to fake the QB out as well. Doing these things will place tremendous pressure on our safeties...BOTH OF THEM! But it's (to me worth it). You can play man in one side and zone on the other combo'ing the coverages to make the defense be LESS reactive. But to do this, EVERYONE MUST BE ON THE SAME PAGE! And I don't suggest doing it THAT much, because it's rare to have everyone on defense react the RIGHT WAY on every play. But you can split the field right off of the MLB's inside hip making one side zone & the other man. But it takes an extreme level of fluidity with all the personnel on the field. That's why normally you won't see these coverages until you get to the NFL. But if taught and properly executed it confuses the QB who just sent his slot in motion to see if it's man or zone. And as he assumes one coverage and yet the stops that work in zone pockets NORMALLY work are no longer there or if he thinks it's man and tries the crosser only to see zone...it makes him hang on to the ball far longer than he'd like and BOOM....SACK! Either way, "spend your dollar wisely and don't spend it in one place!"

CadaverDawg
10-23-2015, 12:40 PM
Great stuff, Coach. I'm going to be watching closely at the start tomorrow to see how Manny approaches it.

Looking at Kentucky and their scheme and personnel on offense, how would YOU start out tomorrow the first plays against them in terms of the secondary? Jam and bring heat? Half man half zone?

BulldogBear
10-23-2015, 12:48 PM
Man I never get tired of reading 57's posts!!

RealHastings
10-23-2015, 12:52 PM
Fwd: cc: IfYouOnlyKnew

defiantdog
10-23-2015, 12:56 PM
I've always taught that football is like a kid who spends his/her allowance. Once it's spent it's SPENT. I remember my grandparents giving me a dollar and sometimes they'd say "don't spend it all in one place!" Only they really weren't kidding. But you may be asking: "What in the world does this have to do with Redmond's injury?" Well let me see if I can help.

No matter offense or defense you have 11 guys (proverbial dollar). How you spend that "dollar" is entirely up to you. But on defense (which I'm more accustomed to dealing with) we have to NOW be more wise in how we spend our dollar more than ever. And by which it WILL effect the offense, I don't care WHAT anybody else says....it will. As some have noticed we have been more in a 4-2-5 set deleting Jackson. There are two ways we can approach this: 1.) We can play off more and more zone and give up more short routes (stops, digs, sticks, outs etc etc). It will prevent more deep plays (which we've been better at all year mostly) and keep everything in our face. This is by far the safest way to go! It allows us when the "window closes" inside the 15/10 yd line to get more aggressive. But since we no longer have a legit shutdown guy in one on one match ups it DOES HURT US BADLY! 2.) We can challenge whomever takes Will's spot to be more aggressive at the LOS and jam the WRs and expect him to create windows of opportunity create more pass rush! But will create a greater percentage of down the field opps for big plays and that (based on our offenses performances) could be catastrophic! I think Manny will mix and sprinkle these in when he sees fit. It does handcuff him though as a DC.

What would I do? I will use rolling coverages and hybrid coverages to confuse the QB for more INTs. Here's how, just as a safety can be "looked off" by the QB he also can roll to fake the QB out as well. Doing these things will place tremendous pressure on our safeties...BOTH OF THEM! But it's (to me worth it). You can play man in one side and zone on the other combo'ing the coverages to make the defense be LESS reactive. But to do this, EVERYONE MUST BE ON THE SAME PAGE! And I don't suggest doing it THAT much, because it's rare to have everyone on defense react the RIGHT WAY on every play. But you can split the field right off of the MLB's inside hip making one side zone & the other man. But it takes an extreme level of fluidity with all the personnel on the field. That's why normally you won't see these coverages until you get to the NFL. But if taught and properly executed it confuses the QB who just sent his slot in motion to see if it's man or zone. And as he assumes one coverage and yet the stops that work in zone pockets NORMALLY work are no longer there or if he thinks it's man and tries the crosser only to see zone...it makes him hang on to the ball far longer than he'd like and BOOM....SACK! Either way, "spend your dollar wisely and don't spend it in one place!"

Love it man! Our safeties are close, but still young. I expect a lot of zone blitzes to distract the qb from checking off reads. May create a lot of Checkdown Charlie situations as C34 says.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-23-2015, 01:52 PM
Fwd: cc: IfYouOnlyKnew

Coach57 has done a great job breaking down the situation. He's 1 of if not the best X & O guy on the board. If you're asking for my opinion I wouldn't change a thing scheme wise until I see how Cleveland handles the task of being in the starting lineup. If that doesn't work I think you will see more cover 2 zone coverage & not letting anything behind & leave the 10-15yd passes available.

PassInterference
10-23-2015, 02:31 PM
I fully expect we play it conservative and roll the dice 2-3 times in the game.

Coach 57
10-23-2015, 02:32 PM
I don't feel like we can stay TOTALLY switch what we've been doing because the talent level is drastically different between Redmond & others. I don't believe in scrapping the scheme but you've got to adjust based on the ability disparity between the sets of CBs. I assure you UK & others will do their best to exploit it, you've got to be able to counter.

One thing I love about Manny is how he can adjust on the fly with his concepts & schemes IN GAME! Something that didn't translate from other DCs. It's not that Collins is worse or better, but sometimes what the DC knows may get lost in the wash of translation. He may know it but and even his players know it but can it get transposed ON THE FIELD?

I wonder if this is because of Richie & Benny? Both have high football accumine and I think those 3 (Manny & Benny/Richie) understand and be able to perform on this field and also relate that info to the other 9 guys. One thing I liked about Manny in the past is he puts tremendous pressure on his LBs to KNOW THE GAME & communicate! There's far more to coaching than jumping up and hollaring with chest bumps. Translatability is KEY! I remember he had a nice set of LBs who did quite well here (KJ, White & Lawrence). When they left Cam remembered his roll. I think Richie is much like Cam. I heard stories about how he knew the play the offense was going to run before they ran it, but the question is can you get your "brothers" in a place of success before the snap to turn the tide?

State82
10-23-2015, 02:43 PM
Top shelf Coach. Excellent analysis.

drunkernhelldawg
10-23-2015, 02:54 PM
I don't feel like we can stay TOTALLY switch what we've been doing because the talent level is drastically different between Redmond & others. I don't believe in scrapping the scheme but you've got to adjust based on the ability disparity between the sets of CBs. I assure you UK & others will do their best to exploit it, you've got to be able to counter.

One thing I love about Manny is how he can adjust on the fly with his concepts & schemes IN GAME! Something that didn't translate from other DCs. It's not that Collins is worse or better, but sometimes what the DC knows may get lost in the wash of translation. He may know it but and even his players know it but can it get transposed ON THE FIELD?

I wonder if this is because of Richie & Benny? Both have high football accumine and I think those 3 (Manny & Benny/Richie) understand and be able to perform on this field and also relate that info to the other 9 guys. One thing I liked about Manny in the past is he puts tremendous pressure on his LBs to KNOW THE GAME & communicate! There's far more to coaching than jumping up and hollaring with chest bumps. Translatability is KEY! I remember he had a nice set of LBs who did quite well here (KJ, White & Lawrence). When they left Cam remembered his roll. I think Richie is much like Cam. I heard stories about how he knew the play the offense was going to run before they ran it, but the question is can you get your "brothers" in a place of success before the snap to turn the tide?

Great point about the linebackers ringing the defense. I do have half a feeling that we may just plug a player into Will's spot and hope for the best.

t45fixer
10-23-2015, 03:26 PM
Great points coach. Thanks for your insight.

yakalot
10-23-2015, 04:43 PM
P
Coach57...He's 1 of if not the best X & O guy on the board.

+1

Lumpy Chucklelips
10-23-2015, 09:03 PM
Would love for coach57 to have a thread "in-game" and relay what he sees, what he would do, what's coming next, etc. as the game goes on.