PDA

View Full Version : Interesting stat- We are 5th in the SEC in ypc

Coach34
10-22-2015, 07:31 PM
at 4.75 per rush

http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/911/team/offense/split01/category01/sort02.html

Last in attempts but 9th in yardage gained

ShotgunDawg
10-22-2015, 07:42 PM
Trying to figure out how this is so.

We are 5th in sacks given up, so I can only assume that some of the better running teams are giving up more sacks which may be hurting their average.

Also, the SEC is having trouble running the ball this year. Somehow Ole Miss is 3rd in YPC at 4.96 yards per carry. However, Vandy is in 11th place at 4.02 YPC

To me, running the ball comes down to if you can run the ball with consistent success on 3rd & 3. If you can, you can run the ball, if not, you can't

Really Clark?
10-22-2015, 07:49 PM
He is talking about our rush offense not defense.

smootness
10-22-2015, 07:57 PM
He is talking about our rush offense not defense.

In college, sacks count against your rushing yardage.

Leroy Jenkins
10-22-2015, 08:01 PM
at 4.75 per rush

http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/911/team/offense/split01/category01/sort02.html

Last in attempts but 9th in yardage gained

I would not have guessed that. Hmm.

Really Clark?
10-22-2015, 08:01 PM
In college, sacks count against your rushing yardage.

Yeah I know. Click the link. This is for our rushing offense. Our rushing offense is 5th in the league in ypc. This is not a defense stat. For how bad our rushing as been, ypc is much better than most would assume.

smootness
10-22-2015, 08:05 PM
Yeah I know. Click the link. This is for our rushing offense. Our rushing offense is 5th in the league in ypc. This is not a defense stat. For how bad our rushing as been, ypc is much better than most would assume.

Huh? Shotgun was saying that our relatively low number of sacks allowed on offense may be positively affecting our YPC on offense relative to the rest of the league. Because in college, sacks count against your rushing yardage.

So since we've been sacked a relatively low number of times on offense, our offensive YPC is not affected as negatively by sacks as the teams who have been sacked more often.

Todd4State
10-22-2015, 08:35 PM
We're also fourth in the SEC in tackles for loss allowed and 5th in sacks allowed.

In other words, we may not be rushing like we are used to seeing and may lack explosive plays running the ball- but we also don't lose yardage very often.

Really Clark?
10-22-2015, 08:35 PM
Huh? Shotgun was saying that our relatively low number of sacks allowed on offense may be positively affecting our YPC on offense relative to the rest of the league. Because in college, sacks count against your rushing yardage.

So since we've been sacked a relatively low number of times on offense, our offensive YPC is not affected as negatively by sacks as the teams who have been sacked more often.

Yep. I was having a dyslexic moment. For some reason I kept reading it like he was talking about our defense.

smootness
10-22-2015, 08:40 PM
We're also fourth in the SEC in tackles for loss allowed and 5th in sacks allowed.

In other words, we may not be rushing like we are used to seeing and may lack explosive plays running the ball- but we also don't lose yardage very often.

This is true. Personally, I think the main reason our offense is lacking is not the ability to run the ball better (this would certainly help, just saying our offense can be great even without it), it is the lack of downfield passing. If we could combine our very effective, efficient short passing game with a few more good shots downfield, especially to Gray, I think our offense could become similar in effectiveness to last year's.

State82
10-22-2015, 08:51 PM
Yep. I was having a dyslexic moment. For some reason I kept reading it like he was talking about our defense.

Dang, Clark. For a minute there I thought you had started tailgating a couple days early. I know all about those dyslexic moments though!

Todd4State
10-22-2015, 09:00 PM
This is true. Personally, I think the main reason our offense is lacking is not the ability to run the ball better (this would certainly help, just saying our offense can be great even without it), it is the lack of downfield passing. If we could combine our very effective, efficient short passing game with a few more good shots downfield, especially to Gray, I think our offense could become similar in effectiveness to last year's.

I think it goes hand and hand. If you are in 3rd and longer than 5 a lot, you are going to call more safe, short constraint type plays to get a first down to keep the drive going. In other words, something high percentage that is designed to get the necessary yardage. A post or a go pattern is not what I or most people would consider high percentage.

If we can start to get ahead of the sticks on first and second down by running the ball better then we might see more shots down the field.

Really Clark?
10-22-2015, 09:01 PM

You know when you said that I wanted to see how far off we are on runs of 10+ yards. We actually have a little better rate this year than last. 36 10+ yard runs in 209 attempts this year and 95 in 578 attempts last year. Was surprised the rate is higher.

Really Clark?
10-22-2015, 09:05 PM
Dang, Clark. For a minute there I thought you had started tailgating a couple days early. I know all about those dyslexic moments though!

Haha. Nope but have had a bunch of sinus medication tonight. I hate this crap.

Todd4State
10-22-2015, 09:08 PM
You know when you said that I wanted to see how far off we are on runs of 10+ yards. We actually have a little better rate this year than last. 36 10+ yard runs in 209 attempts this year and 95 in 578 attempts last year. Was surprised the rate is higher.

I wouldn't be surprised if our runs of 20+, 30+, etc. are lower though.

Interestingly enough it could and should be better because Lee has as many runs of 10+ yards as Shumpert and only one less than Holloway despite significantly less time.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/911/player/split01/category31/sort01.html

DancingRabbit
10-22-2015, 09:12 PM
I think it goes hand and hand. If you are in 3rd and longer than 5 a lot, you are going to call more safe, short constraint type plays to get a first down to keep the drive going. In other words, something high percentage that is designed to get the necessary yardage. A post or a go pattern is not what I or most people would consider high percentage.

If we can start to get ahead of the sticks on first and second down by running the ball better then we might see more shots down the field.

I agree. The best time to throw deep is on 2nd and short.

Really Clark?
10-22-2015, 09:19 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if our runs of 20+, 30+, etc. are lower though.

Interestingly enough it could and should be better because Lee has as many runs of 10+ yards as Shumpert and only one less than Holloway despite significantly less time.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/911/player/split01/category31/sort01.html

Nope. Runs of 20+ Yards this year is also a little higher rate. Surprising.

smootness
10-22-2015, 10:07 PM

But you can also accomplish better 2nd down situations by running high-percentage short pass plays on 1st down as well.

Part of our problem is that we're running the ball nowhere on 1st and 2nd down. Our rate of long runs is higher, but I guarantee our rate of runs that gain 0-2 yards is also higher. The long runs here and there are keeping our ypc respectable.

Todd4State
10-22-2015, 10:47 PM
But you can also accomplish better 2nd down situations by running high-percentage short pass plays on 1st down as well.

Part of our problem is that we're running the ball nowhere on 1st and 2nd down. Our rate of long runs is higher, but I guarantee our rate of runs that gain 0-2 yards is also higher. The long runs here and there are keeping our ypc respectable.

You can get yards on first and second down passing, but if you do it every time, it's more predictable and therefore easier to defend. That's a component of what coaches are talking about when they are talking about balance.

HSVDawg
10-23-2015, 05:54 AM
Definitely a misleading stat. We have played only one rush defense that is even above average in LSU. A&M and Auburn suck against the run, as do pretty much all of our non conference opponents. We honestly should be leading the league in YPC right now if we have even an average OL and stable of running backs.

Jack Lambert
10-23-2015, 08:04 AM

One thing short passing is like running the ball when it comes to burning clock.

Really Clark?
10-23-2015, 08:25 AM
Definitely a misleading stat. We have played only one rush defense that is even above average in LSU. A&M and Auburn suck against the run, as do pretty much all of our non conference opponents. We honestly should be leading the league in YPC right now if we have even an average OL and stable of running backs.

LA Tech has a good national ranking but to the point of it being a misleading stat. Are they not all misleading until the final game is played? All they can do is give you a snap shot of what is happening at that point. It can help you draw some conclusions. A lot of people like to look at the adjusted stats that take competition into the equation. Our adjusted numbers are almost the same as our regular numbers.

HSVDawg
10-23-2015, 09:09 AM
LA Tech has a good national ranking but to the point of it being a misleading stat. Are they not all misleading until the final game is played? All they can do is give you a snap shot of what is happening at that point. It can help you draw some conclusions. A lot of people like to look at the adjusted stats that take competition into the equation. Our adjusted numbers are almost the same as our regular numbers.

My point was that on the surface you would think any SEC team that has played 7 games would have faced at least 2 or 3 good rush defenses. We have faced one good rush defense. So I think are current ranking is a little bit of an anomoly. A question for you, do you think after the Egg Bowl our YPC number and rank in the conference will be higher, lower, or about the same as it is now?

Really Clark?
10-23-2015, 09:27 AM
My point was that on the surface you would think any SEC team that has played 7 games would have faced at least 2 or 3 good rush defenses. We have faced one good rush defense. So I think are current ranking is a little bit of an anomoly. A question for you, do you think after the Egg Bowl our YPC number and rank in the conference will be higher, lower, or about the same as it is now?

Not really. Usually at this point in the season most SEC teams have played about half of their schedule against OOC teams and have had some really weak teams. As far as your question, no body knows what the final number will be but I do think the rank will end up close to the same in ypc. Doesn't mean we will fun for more yards against our remaining opponents but that the ypc will stay close enough that our rank stays close to where we are now. Middle of the league. I actually think our rushing will be improved this second half but don't know what the actual number will be.

HSVDawg
10-23-2015, 10:33 AM
Not really. Usually at this point in the season most SEC teams have played about half of their schedule against OOC teams and have had some really weak teams. As far as your question, no body knows what the final number will be but I do think the rank will end up close to the same in ypc. Doesn't mean we will fun for more yards against our remaining opponents but that the ypc will stay close enough that our rank stays close to where we are now. Middle of the league. I actually think our rushing will be improved this second half but don't know what the actual number will be.

Ok, well if we take the stats at face value as you are requesting, let's take a look. In the first 7 games, we played 2 teams currently ranked in the top 20 rush defenses (LSU and La Tech), but all of the other 5 teams ranked 87th or below in rush defense, with USM being the highest. Over the final 5 games, we play 3 current top 20 rush defenses (Alabama, Arkansas, Mizzou), a fourth team ranked 35th (OM), and finally UK who is 66th. So, the worst rush D we play in our final 5 games has a better rush defense than 5 of the 7 teams we've played so far. In terms of rush defenses, our schedule is significantly back loaded. Unfortunately, barring major improvement from the OL I'm afraid all of our rushing stats are as good as they will be all season right now. Another reason for Mullen to go all in with the air raid (key point, must stretch the field and not just dink and dunk).

Really Clark?
10-23-2015, 11:43 AM
Ok, well if we take the stats at face value as you are requesting, let's take a look. In the first 7 games, we played 2 teams currently ranked in the top 20 rush defenses (LSU and La Tech), but all of the other 5 teams ranked 87th or below in rush defense, with USM being the highest. Over the final 5 games, we play 3 current top 20 rush defenses (Alabama, Arkansas, Mizzou), a fourth team ranked 35th (OM), and finally UK who is 66th. So, the worst rush D we play in our final 5 games has a better rush defense than 5 of the 7 teams we've played so far. In terms of rush defenses, our schedule is significantly back loaded. Unfortunately, barring major improvement from the OL I'm afraid all of our rushing stats are as good as they will be all season right now. Another reason for Mullen to go all in with the air raid (key point, must stretch the field and not just dink and dunk).

I know what you are saying but you know as well as I do that your argument goes both ways. For the lack of run defenses sited and our schedule, same argument can be made about the teams left on our schedule in their numbers have benefitted from playing weak teams with weak running offenses. It is not that our rush offense is good, it's that right now it's more effiecent than what most of us thought it may be. We are talking ypc and it still would not be surprising to see us stay ranked in the middle of the league. I think we will be better in the second half but nearly everybody's schedule is backloaded. Heck Kentucky hasn't played but one road game. Even if we drop to 8th it's still middle of the league and your probably talking about .5 ypc difference. The numbers are misleading but so are everybody's, that is what you were saying originally but in the sense of giving people an idea of what actually is happening it's good information and the majority of the time the second half of the season the snapshot of the first half is still a good indication, even if numbers decrease because most do as the season goes on.