PDA

View Full Version : How does Diaz adjust for Redmond being out?

ShotgunDawg
10-22-2015, 04:42 PM
OK, I know we are all disappointed about Redmond & reopening old wounds with Bracky Brett, but we've got to move on.

This team has an awful lot to still play for, & has talented players to take Redmond's spot.

I think we all agree that Cleveland will be asked to be the main plug to fill in for Redmond, but, if you were Manny Diaz, how do you scheme going forward?

Do you provide help for Cleveland?

Do you blitz more to make the QB get the ball out quicker?

Do you play more zone?

or, do you just do what you were doing, & hope that Cleveland steps up?

Just curious what's the best way for us to play defense going forward to maximize our chances

EngineerDawg
10-22-2015, 04:51 PM
two fold... I don't want to hang him out to dry but would love to see some aggressive play calling on the d.

starkvegasdawg
10-22-2015, 04:51 PM
More bending.

confucius say
10-22-2015, 04:55 PM
Well since aggie we have been playing a lot of nickel with Cleveland as the nickel back. Basically took Zach jackson out and inserted Cleveland, going to a 4-2-5 instead of a 4-3.

So the first question is do we go back to a base 4-3 and reinsert jackson, putting Cleveland at redmonds corner position? Or stay with the nickel look?

thunderclap
10-22-2015, 04:56 PM
Man, this sucks. Redmond was one of my favs. Always plays hard, great instincts. Hate it for him.

ShotgunDawg
10-22-2015, 05:01 PM
Man, this sucks. Redmond was one of my favs. Always plays hard, great instincts. Hate it for him.

It does, but it is what it is and doesn't kill our season.

Losing a CB doesn't kill team's seasons. Next man up. I think people will be surprised at how effectively we replace him.

Johnson85
10-22-2015, 05:06 PM
Losing a CB doesn't kill team's seasons.

Losing a lock down corner makes a big difference though. The good news is that I don't think we're facing a lot of teams remaining where this is going to kill us. Hurts the most against Ole Miss because of Treadwell. Does UK have one standout WR that we would want to put Redmond on?

AFter that, I don't think it makes a big difference versus Bama, Arkansas, or Mizzou although every playmaker helps.

State82
10-22-2015, 05:06 PM
I think people will be surprised at how effectively we replace him.

Man I hope you're right. I just have a very uneasy feeling about this situation.

msstate7
10-22-2015, 05:10 PM
I think this injury puts more pressure on our offense. Offense was supposed to be our strength and they haven't been... It's time to step up, offense

Leroy Jenkins
10-22-2015, 05:32 PM
Sack up, Dan. Time to score some points, no more dink and dunk.

Todd4State
10-22-2015, 05:32 PM
It does, but it is what it is and doesn't kill our season.

Losing a CB doesn't kill team's seasons. Next man up. I think people will be surprised at how effectively we replace him.

Injuries kill us more than anyone else.

Todd4State
10-22-2015, 05:34 PM
I think Diaz will be more inclined to blitz.

If we go to the 4-2-5 look, I think it will be more Peters, Coman, and Bryant.

And honestly, I would play Graham. He brings energy that we lack and I have been surprised at how quickly he has adjusted.

Statecoachingblows**
10-22-2015, 05:36 PM
I think this injury puts more pressure on our offense. Offense was supposed to be our strength and they haven't been... It's time to step up, offense

Agreed and hopeful this is the case. stange as it may sound, maybe a little adversity brings the team together and gets things rolling at the right time. Hate it for any of these guys but when you've had you're career cut short already definitely didn't need this.

LC Dawg
10-22-2015, 05:53 PM

I agree. I know it sounds strange but the loss of our top defensive player is going to have to be made up for by the offense.

BulldogBear
10-22-2015, 06:07 PM
two fold... I don't want to hang him out to dry but would love to see some aggressive play calling on the d.
For goodness sake YES!!

I have general faith in Manny. With that said, the one thing we can't do is "bend don't break" AND give up big plays. If we start doing the latter, then I'd rather take my chances just becoming a wall up front. So, if we give up a few big plays, then force them to live or die by them because other than that they won't be moving the ball.

DancingRabbit
10-22-2015, 06:38 PM
Maybe I'm off-base, but it seemed like last Saturday was not Will's best game especially early on. It appeared that Will ended up playing less than half of the game - he was off the field so long I thought he was injured. I suppose the back-ups got plenty of game action against a pretty good QB.

I was at the game and haven't watched a replay so I may be recalling things totally wrong. It's a damn shame his career at State is over.

maroonmania
10-22-2015, 07:03 PM

Yep, would be nice if we could score more than 20 points in an SEC game that doesn't involve Vandy but maybe that's asking too much.

Liverpooldawg
10-22-2015, 08:03 PM
We have fussed about the bend but don't break but it may come in very handy now. My guess is very little changes scheme wise. If anything the coverage will get a bit softer. That's the logical thing to do.

HSVDawg
10-22-2015, 09:27 PM
Losing a lock down corner makes a big difference though.

I think a lot of people are forgetting we still have Calhoun who will be an NFL corner in his own right. He will be able to at least go round for round with guys like Treadwell, Ridley, and Juice Johnson. Redmond's loss sucks but its not like we have no depth at corner. I honestly think it would hurt us worse if we lost someone like Bryant, because we'd have no one else to throw out there.

the59dawg
10-22-2015, 10:04 PM
OK, I know we are all disappointed about Redmond & reopening old wounds with Bracky Brett, but we've got to move on.

This team has an awful lot to still play for, & has talented players to take Redmond's spot.

I think we all agree that Cleveland will be asked to be the main plug to fill in for Redmond, but, if you were Manny Diaz, how do you scheme going forward?

Do you provide help for Cleveland?

Do you blitz more to make the QB get the ball out quicker?

Do you play more zone?

or, do you just do what you were doing, & hope that Cleveland steps up?

Just curious what's the best way for us to play defense going forward to maximize our chances

Don't see how Cleveland can play up on the WR like Redmond did. He'll get beat from the get-go if he plays up tight.

FISHDAWG
10-23-2015, 07:42 AM
Don't see how Cleveland can play up on the WR like Redmond did. He'll get beat from the get-go if he plays up tight.

dead-on right there ... I think we play a little soft on that side but you do what you have to do ... Jiles & Cleveland have been around so I don't think we will get attacked to bad on that corner but I can see some 3rd down conversions there ... we just can't expect the same performance as we did with Redmond and we need to remember that come Monday morning