PDA

View Full Version : Someone mentioned the name

Lumpy Chucklelips
10-22-2015, 10:53 AM
David Fair in a thread about Redmond's injury.

I was around when Fair was playing, but I don't remember the exact injury. What was it and did it happen at a time when medically they just weren't capable of getting it fixed? Would he have had a different fate in today's world?

Liverpooldawg
10-22-2015, 11:16 AM
Fair got hurt on a non-contact play against UT. If I'm not mistaken he tore everything that was possible to tear in a knee, just totally blew it out. They are a lot better at repairing knees now but even today that one would be almost impossible to really come back from.

Saltydog
10-22-2015, 11:51 AM
seemed to give way. I saw this guy run track when I was in HS and he was unreal. He was cut in the mold of Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker and Marcus Dupree. Found this article about him. He's apparently still in the Starkville area. Article also mentions another highly rated RB recruit that came out of MS about that same time in Ronnie Ducksworth, who played at West Jones. Ducksworth got into a lot of trouble if I'm not mistaken. Can't remember the whole story not but I believe he's deceased.

http://www.misshsaa.com/GeneralInfo/NewsAnnouncements/tabid/97/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/2344/Rewind-Wednesday-David-Fair.aspx

PassInterference
10-22-2015, 12:07 PM
I thought he was every bit of Bo Jackson when he was here. How'd you like to see this running at you with that kind of speed?

http://www.misshsaa.com/Portals/0/Rewind/FairD-A3.jpg

BHildreth3
10-22-2015, 12:11 PM
I love those uniforms - and we should just put STATE above the facemask. David Fair was unbelievable. It's a shame he didn't get to play more football.

Liverpooldawg
10-22-2015, 12:11 PM
Fair is probably still the most talented player we have ever signed at MSU. He was going to be an absolute stud.

Mjoelner34
10-22-2015, 12:26 PM
seemed to give way. I saw this guy run track when I was in HS and he was unreal. He was cut in the mold of Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker and Marcus Dupree. Found this article about him. He's apparently still in the Starkville area. Article also mentions another highly rated RB recruit that came out of MS about that same time in Ronnie Ducksworth, who played at West Jones. Ducksworth got into a lot of trouble if I'm not mistaken. Can't remember the whole story not but I believe he's deceased.

http://www.misshsaa.com/GeneralInfo/NewsAnnouncements/tabid/97/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/2344/Rewind-Wednesday-David-Fair.aspx

I believe Duckworth got killed in a liquor store robbery in some place like Idaho believe it or not. There was some talk on here last week about a certain player needing different colored sweat bands to know which direction to go. I dont' know anything about that guy but I went to JUCO with several people from West Jones and they said that was true about Duckworth.

Coach34
10-22-2015, 12:35 PM
Fair was our Hershal Walker. Ran just like him. Big and physical. Then Boom- blows his knee out in his 4-5th game and was never close to the same.

FISHDAWG
10-22-2015, 12:41 PM
I believe Duckworth got killed in a liquor store robbery in some place like Idaho believe it or not. There was some talk on here last week about a certain player needing different colored sweat bands to know which direction to go. I dont' know anything about that guy but I went to JUCO with several people from West Jones and they said that was true about Duckworth.

I played against Duckworth when I was at South Jones and that was the word then but I never saw any tape on his hand

ETA - nope, that was Adolph Ducksworth ... a relative I think ... Ronnie came along a couple years later

Really Clark?
10-22-2015, 12:43 PM

It was Billings, MT and they had picked him up for parole violation. He escaped while the detective was bringing him in and in the pursuit and scuffle after the escape both were shot and died. He was originally arrested and convicted on burglary charges. I don't think there was a liquor store involved but may be wrong.

KentuckyDawg13
10-22-2015, 12:56 PM
Maybe my memory is mixing things up with Bo Jackson's injury, but from what I remember it wasn't that much of a tackle/hit when he did come up lame. All we heard before he signed was how he was going to be the next ALL-SEC RB.

David Fair in a thread about Redmond's injury.

I was around when Fair was playing, but I don't remember the exact injury. What was it and did it happen at a time when medically they just weren't capable of getting it fixed? Would he have had a different fate in today's world?

Liverpooldawg
10-22-2015, 01:21 PM
Maybe my memory is mixing things up with Bo Jackson's injury, but from what I remember it wasn't that much of a tackle/hit when he did come up lame. All we heard before he signed was how he was going to be the next ALL-SEC RB.

It was a non-contact injury. He wasn't touched.

Duckdawg
10-22-2015, 01:29 PM
He got hurt against Louisiana Tech going out of bounds and his foot slid on that crappy astro turf that we used to have on the sidelines if I remember correctly. I was at the game when it happened, but I had had lots of Canadian Mist.

TUSK
10-22-2015, 01:37 PM
I wanna say Fair had just made a long run vs Tennessee in Starkville... he was "bumped" out of bounds but not "hit".... he never went to the ground...

Pulled up lame...

Can any one confirm my weak ass memory?

Duckdawg
10-22-2015, 01:46 PM
Im relatively sure it was against La Tech, like I said Canadian Mist, he was bumped out of bounds after a good run. He did have an 80 yd run against Tennessee as well, but I'm pretty sure he was ok after that one, Canadian Mist ya know.

dotcomdawg
10-22-2015, 01:46 PM
one of my favorite Bulldogs of all time (even with the shortened career). When he was out there you just knew that he was in another league.

Does anyone remember his height, weight, 40 time?

TUSK
10-22-2015, 01:49 PM
Im relatively sure it was against La Tech, like I said Canadian Mist, he was bumped out of bounds after a good run. He did have an 80 yd run against Tennessee as well, but I'm pretty sure he was ok after that one, Canadian Mist ya know.

Roger that, Duck.... I do remember him having a big run vs UT... maybe that (and copious amounts of whiskey) is/are what confused me... thanks

Duckdawg
10-22-2015, 01:50 PM
6'2'ish, 230ish, I always heard he ran a 4.4. I was in line behind him at Sack and Save one day, yes I'm old. All he had on was a pair of bike shorts and a pair of suspenders, looked like he was chiseled out of granite.

tcdog70
10-22-2015, 04:17 PM
Roger that, Duck.... I do remember him having a big run vs UT... maybe that (and copious amounts of whiskey) is/are what confused me... thanks

He had a big run against Tn where he broke into the open and running unmolested fumbled the ball. i reffed Him at Starkville, he was a specimen. But on the same team was Marcus Bush , he was the one that got the hard yards and He also had a good career at State.

Saltydog
10-22-2015, 04:44 PM
80's. Maybe that's urban legend but the first time I ever heard that was about him. Now that you guys have jogged my memory I do seem to recall him getting shot. What a waste of talent. Guy was an absolute beast of a RB. Just think of all the big backs that came out of that particular era in the 80's. You had Herschel, Bo, Marcus Dupree (maybe the best of them all), Ducksworth and David Fair.

Madisonmd
10-22-2015, 06:08 PM
Fair tore his PCL and never could overcome the injury. Against TN

grinnindawg
10-22-2015, 06:27 PM
During the long run against TN, he pulled away from a DB who either won or nearly won the 100M in the SEC.

If my memory is correct, he rolled out of bounds on the west sideline when he was injured. Wasn't really hit on the knee.

At times after the injury, he looked like he still had the speed.

Liverpooldawg
10-22-2015, 06:33 PM
He could run after a couple of years. He couldn't cut though. He ran straight ahead well enough to spark a win against USM his Sr. Year. I've never been happier or sadder watching a MSU game. I was so happy for him that he got that one game in the spotlight. It was bittersweet though realizing what could have been had he stayed healthy. He is still the most talented player I've ever seen at MSU. If he hadn't got hurt...........man.

Duckdawg
10-22-2015, 07:03 PM
Didn't he have a good game against LSU his senior year too? Damn what could've been. I remember when he came onto the field that first game in '87, man among boys.

JoseBrown
10-22-2015, 07:21 PM
6'2'ish, 230ish, I always heard he ran a 4.4. I was in line behind him at Sack and Save one day, yes I'm old. All he had on was a pair of bike shorts and a pair of suspenders, looked like he was chiseled out of granite.

Yep, and he had like a 30" waist or something. Dude was a freak! I hated him getting hurt.

On the RB topic, anyone remember Jim Cumberbatch? Whatever happened with him?

Maroonthirteen
10-22-2015, 07:43 PM
He had a good game against Auburn in 90. On the last drive, Rockey gave it to him about 8 times in a row. He ran all over auburn. They couldn't stop him.

On the drive, We score to make it 16-17. Auburn was #1. Everyone was screaming go for two and give it to Fair. We attempted an extra point. Auburn blocked the kick and won. Rockey was done.

Duckdawg
10-22-2015, 07:50 PM
That Auburn game absolutely tore my heart out. I had a roommate that was a walk on tight end during those years. He always came home from practice telling stories about what Fair had done that day.

Liverpooldawg
10-22-2015, 07:52 PM
That Auburn game absolutely tore my heart out. I had a roommate that was a walk on tight end during those years. He always came home from practice telling stories about what Fair had done that day.

And that was AFTER he lost the ability to cut. Rocky Felker might still be our coach if Fair hadn't got hurt.

Duckdawg
10-22-2015, 07:55 PM
I heard Jackie say in one of his first post game shows that he wouldn't have been at state if Rocky had gone for two and gotten it.

Liverpooldawg
10-22-2015, 07:58 PM
I heard Jackie say in one of his first post game shows that he wouldn't have been at state if Rocky had gone for two and gotten it.

Rocky wasn't that far away his last year. I'll always wonder what might have happened if Fair had stayed healthy and about that play in particular.

Duckdawg
10-22-2015, 08:04 PM
Thinking back, Jackie's comment was in response to a caller that said something derogatory about Rocky and how glad he was we had a real coach. Jackie said if we had made that extra point he wouldn't have been at state. Really cool he took up for Felker like that, and he was probably right.

grinnindawg
10-23-2015, 05:43 AM
One of my least favorite MSU moments. Maybe 10% - 25% of the section I was in, C at the time, cheered on the last drive.

During a timeout my friend asked "Why isn't everyone cheering?"

I said "Don't know." Then I realized and said really loud "Because if we win this game, they won't fire Rocky."
The looks I got confirmed it.

KentuckyDawg13
10-23-2015, 09:19 AM
Vaguely remember him leading the nation in ypc before the injury too...like 8 yds average.
He had two big runs vs UT, outran the DBs like they were in slowmo.

Duckdawg
10-23-2015, 12:20 PM
Vaguely remember him leading the nation in ypc before the injury too...like 8 yds average.
He had two big runs vs UT, outran the DBs like they were in slowmo.

seems like he was averaging 8-9 ypc.

Reunion Dog
10-23-2015, 04:26 PM
Fair was a Prop 48 signee.. He sat out his freshman year.

His first game was against TN in Starkville. first 2 times he touched the ball he went 80 yards for touchdowns. He was a STUD. couple of games later we were playing La Tech and he ran the ball out of bounds. he pitched the ball to the ref... and all in one motion... he planted on his foot to turn and walk back to the huddle and his knee just gave out. Freak Play.

He could never get healthy after that. He was no doubt in the form of Jackson and Dupree. Starkville High was like a junior college in those years....

He had over 180 yards rushing in his first game against TN. He could run over you... and OUT run any safety or corner... Sky was the limit....