10-22-2015, 07:54 AM
Cleveland or jiles gonna take his spot?

BrunswickDawg
10-22-2015, 07:55 AM

Smokey?

Bama_Dawg
10-22-2015, 07:57 AM
Dang, that hurts. Time for Jiles and Smokey to step up.

klong-dog
Damn that phucking sucks! Probably the one guy on D we did not need to lose. I guess Smokey us up. Shit.

Coach34
Cleveland most likely

starkvegasdawg
Defensive line is going to have to start getting a lot of pressure to take the heat off the secondary. They can't give the QB time to scan the field.

Jack Lambert

I would be ok with both. Our Safties are really going to have to pick it up. I think facing LA tech QB last week was really good for our DB's.

TrapGame
10-22-2015, 08:03 AM
Towles gonna pick on that side of the field all night. Gotta be ready.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-22-2015, 08:10 AM
I think we're going to start to see more of Smokey.

Bama_Dawg
Guys, if you recall at the beginning of the year, Will mentioned how much the DBs communicate and how much better it was this year from last. To me that was 100% due to Market and Redmond. They were the go-to guys for the calls back there. We lost Market already, but Redmond was still on the field and could pick up the slack. Now, with Redmond out, I think our DBs regress further than we think. Not just from a talent standpoint, which goes without saying, but from a scheme standpoint as well.

This could get ugly. Like I said, Cleveland, Jiles, and Smokey are gonna have to step up. Our safeties are gonna have to play out of their minds. I don't have a lot of confidence in the remaining guys at this point, not from a talent standpoint, but from a scheme and fundamentals standpoint.

ShotgunDawg
NEXT MAN UP!!!!

Question:

By my estimation, Redmond has either been suspended or injured for 2 years of his 4 years of eligibility.

Is there any chance that MSU can appeal Redmond's suspension & get his redshirt year back?

There is precedent to this. The NCAA lowered Penn State's penalties. So they've shown the willingness to correct wrongs, &, after Tunsil only getting 7 games for virtually the same thing, there is something for MSU to point the NCAA to to make a case.

Where is the justice for the kid?

The kid should absolutely get his redshirt year & have the option of returning for his SR. year.

Bama_Dawg
10-22-2015, 08:12 AM
NEXT MAN UP!!!!

Question:

By my estimation, Redmond has either been suspended or injured for 2 years of his 4 years of eligibility.

Is there any chance that MSU can appeal Redmond's suspension & get his redshirt year back?

There is precedent to this. The NCAA lowered Penn State's penalties. So they've shown the willingness to correct wrongs, &, after the Tunsil only getting 7 games for virtually the same thing, there is something for MSU to point the NCAA to to make a case.

Where is the justice for the kid?

The kid should absolutely get his redshirt year & have the option of returning for his SR. year.

Redmond will get drafted in April. No way he comes back. I'll bet his sights are getting the ACL fixed and trying to get to the combine.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-22-2015, 08:13 AM
Guys, if you recall at the beginning of the year, Will mentioned how much the DBs communicate and how much better it was this year from last. To me that was 100% due to Market and Redmond. They were the go-to guys for the calls back there. We lost Market already, but Redmond was still on the field and could pick up the slack. Now, with Redmond out, I think our DBs regress further than we think. Not just from a talent standpoint, which goes without saying, but from a scheme standpoint as well.

This could get ugly. Like I said, Cleveland, Jiles, and Smokey are gonna have to step up. Our safeties are gonna have to play out of their minds. I don't have a lot of confidence in the remaining guys at this point, not from a talent standpoint, but from a scheme and fundamentals standpoint.

Market & Coman were making all the calls. Market went down & they kind of force fed Brandon Bryant into that role of making more calls.

CadaverDawg
10-22-2015, 08:14 AM
#WinOutForWill

Get it trending

ShotgunDawg
10-22-2015, 08:14 AM
Redmond will get drafted in April. No way he comes back. I'll bet his sights are getting the ACL fixed and trying to get to the combine.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but, if Redmond gets back a 4th round grade, due to this set back, he may be smart to come back, if he had the option to.

Just saying that Redmond should have the option. The kid has been robbed a college career & should have the option of returning if he wants to.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-22-2015, 08:16 AM
I'm not disagreeing with you, but, if Redmond gets back a 4th round grade, due to this set back, he may be smart to come back, if he had the option to.

Just saying that Redmond should have the option. The kid has been robbed a college career & should have the option of returning if he wants to.

The next jersey he puts on will be an NFL jersey

BB30
10-22-2015, 08:17 AM
My question is why was Redmond even touched at practice the one sure tackler and a 1st round corner, a guy you can't lose. I'm sure Dak is not getting hit or doing the hitting at practice. I am sure it was just a fluke deal but we are talking about practice. I know you probably cant show favoritism like that just baffling he tears his ACL on a Wednesday practice.

Bama_Dawg
10-22-2015, 08:19 AM
My question is why was Redmond even touched at practice the one sure tackler and a 1st round corner, a guy you can't lose. I'm sure Dak is not getting hit or doing the hitting at practice. I am sure it was just a fluke deal but we are talking about practice. I know you probably cant show favoritism like that just baffling he tears his ACL on a Wednesday practice.

You can pop an ACL without contact, plant/cut wrong. Doesn't mean it was a contact injury. Now, it probably was a contact injury, but I can't fault a guy for going 100% at practice.

Coach34

No need for him to risk more injury for free. He's moving on

PassInterference
I'm saddened more than anything. Redmond's college career is similar to David Fair's. One of the best we've ever had at that position, and cut short by injury. It's aggravating, but more than anything I'm sad for the player that they just got started showing what they can do and then it comes to a sudden end.

Bama_Dawg
10-22-2015, 08:20 AM
I'm saddened more than anything. Redmond's college career is similar to David Fair's. One of the best we've ever had at that position, and cut short by injury. It's aggravating, but more than anything I'm sad for the player that they just got started showing what they can do and then it comes to a sudden end.

+1 Dang right. Sad.

Coach34
10-22-2015, 08:23 AM

Fair tore his knee slap up- 3 ligament tear. Never was the same

Redmond just popped the ACL and will be drafted by the 3rd round. Huge difference

Liverpooldawg
10-22-2015, 08:24 AM
Ask David Fair if it takes contact to ruin a knee.

Liverpooldawg
10-22-2015, 08:25 AM

Redmond played a whole lot more than David Fair ever did.

thunderclap
God bless. Other than Dak that's about as bad as it could get.

Jack Lambert
You can pop an ACL without contact, plant/cut wrong. Doesn't mean it was a contact injury. Now, it probably was a contact injury, but I can't fault a guy for going 100% at practice.

Christ Jone and the other D lineman are going to have to step up on the pass rush.

AFDawg
10-22-2015, 08:26 AM

Graham on Twitter:
"@JGraham_9: Dear God, help me get through this! It's right there just gotta take advantage! Need a lil help through the process!"
"@JGraham_9: Time to step it up a notch"

7dawg
10-22-2015, 08:33 AM
No talk of why the hell Bounds released the info if the coaches didn't want it released. I see now why they were quiet about the injury. Kentucky can now game plan for Redmond's absence.

RBritt
10-22-2015, 08:35 AM
Thanks Bracky! You costed a kid 18 games while one guilty as sin gets 6 games, an invite to the
Combine, and gets picked to attend the draft. Will Redmond should beat his ass with his crutches. Hope be bounced back and joins Slay and Banks in the NFL.

msstate7
10-22-2015, 08:35 AM
Graham on Twitter:
"@JGraham_9: Dear God, help me get through this! It's right there just gotta take advantage! Need a lil help through the process!"
"@JGraham_9: Time to step it up a notch"

Sounds like graham may be the man. Hopefully he's ready. He's a local kid and I really like him

archdog
10-22-2015, 08:36 AM
So the super secret bullcrap going on was to allow Bo Bounds to flippin scoop us. I am so glad we waited a whole 10 hours not to report it. No way Kentucky can scheme with this information now, its too close to gametime.

starkvegasdawg
10-22-2015, 08:38 AM
That was a blue collar move, Bo.

ckDOG
10-22-2015, 08:38 AM
No talk of why the hell Bounds released the info if the coaches didn't want it released. I see now why they were quiet about the injury. Kentucky can now game plan for Redmond's absence.

He's just repeating what the message board heroes insinuated. Now the message board heroes can confirm what he said and feel important and not guilty at the same time.

trob115
10-22-2015, 08:43 AM
We could see Peters play some corner now too. He has done that several times this year already against Troy and A&M.

BB30
10-22-2015, 08:46 AM

Very true, just unfortunate for the kid he has had a rough couple of years here. Hopefully he will come back 100% and have a solid NFL career.

gtowndawg
10-22-2015, 08:51 AM
At least Smokey is going to be better prepared for next year. Not how I wanted him to get experience but looking for something good out of this...

Coach34
10-22-2015, 08:54 AM
Smokey will play more- but I can't see him starting over Cleveland

SignalToNoise
10-22-2015, 09:04 AM
Wow guys this is really deflating to me. I don't see anyone coming anywhere close to Redmond's ability, but hopefully I'm wrong.

starkvegasdawg
10-22-2015, 09:04 AM
Do we go to more of a ball control offense to try and limit the amount of time the defense is on the field now?

gtowndawg
10-22-2015, 09:06 AM
Smokey will play more- but I can't see him starting over Cleveland

Agreed. Just meant he's going to play a lot more than ever intended this year.

gtowndawg
10-22-2015, 09:07 AM
Do we go to more of a ball control offense to try and limit the amount of time the defense is on the field now?

Which leads back to the run game discussion...

DownwardDawg
10-22-2015, 09:14 AM
Wow guys this is really deflating to me. I don't see anyone coming anywhere close to Redmond's ability, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Me too. I have a sick feeling in my stomach about this. This may end up costing us a game or possibly two. Towles is an outstanding QB and he will take advantage of this. Ole Miss will certainly give us a little more trouble now than I was expecting from them before this.

farmdawg1
10-22-2015, 09:14 AM
Smokey has a long way to go

Coach34
10-22-2015, 09:16 AM
So the super secret bullcrap going on was to allow Bo Bounds to flippin scoop us. I am so glad we waited a whole 10 hours not to report it. No way Kentucky can scheme with this information now, its too close to gametime.

We were asked not to leak it. We agreed not to until it broke. We have developed enough trust that we get things we can leak at time before everyone else. That's why we are the best board for State fans

MetEdDawg
10-22-2015, 09:24 AM
Question now is will the staff be fine with Calhoun, Cleveland, Smokey, Jiles, and Rayford, or do we burn Smitherman or Stamps RS? I don't like only having 4 CBs that can play (Rayford isn't good and I can't believe that either Smitherman or Stamps can't outperform him right now). And considering we lose Calhoun this year and Cleveland and Jiles after next year, I feel like one of those two true freshmen need to be on the field now getting reps to prepare.

ShotgunDawg
10-22-2015, 09:25 AM
The good news about this is that it gives us a head start on next season. I'm actually cautiously optimistic about Jamoral Graham.

He's extremely athletic, but just lacks the experience. No doubt, this hurts us this season, but, if we can get through Kentucky, we'll have an off week before facing a below average offensive team in Missouri & then a below average passing team in Alabama & Arkansas.

Really, the only team left that I feel could be a real problem for our secondary is Ole Miss, but we'll have 4 games to develop guys before that game. This obviously isn't ideal, but I think we'll be OK

hailmari
10-22-2015, 09:36 AM
When has Rayford even had a chance to show he isn't good? I still say he'll be big time by the time he's done here.

MafiaDawg
10-22-2015, 09:43 AM
Is Jiles not better the Cleveland? What's Cedric's deal has he just not recovered from all his injuries.

blacklistedbully
10-22-2015, 09:47 AM
F.....just F!

Liverpooldawg
10-22-2015, 09:50 AM
Suck it up and move on. That's what the team will do.

HoopsDawg
10-22-2015, 09:55 AM

I hope not. He is just not an outside corner, imo.

I like Cleveland best as the nickel corner, so I hope/expect to Jiles to get most of the PT.

TrapGame
10-22-2015, 10:20 AM
The good news about this is that it gives us a head start on next season. I'm actually cautiously optimistic about Jamoral Graham.

He's extremely athletic, but just lacks the experience. No doubt, this hurts us this season, but, if we can get through Kentucky, we'll have an off week before facing a below average offensive team in Missouri & then a below average passing team in Alabama & Arkansas.

Really, the only team left that I feel could be a real problem for our secondary is Ole Miss, but we'll have 4 games to develop guys before that game. This obviously isn't ideal, but I think we'll be OK

If there's a silver lining in this, here it is.

louisvilledawg
10-22-2015, 10:23 AM
Towles gonna be slingin the rock all night long. O/U for yards and TD's?

Thinking 350 and 2.5 tds

Ifyouonlyknew
10-22-2015, 10:23 AM

Thinking 350 and 2.5 tds

I'll take that.

ShotgunDawg
10-22-2015, 10:24 AM

Thinking 350 and 2.5 tds

Maybe, our secondary has actually done a much better job at eliminating the big play this year compared to last year. I think Towels throws for 280-310 with 2 TDs & MSU wins 31-21

maroonmania
10-22-2015, 10:27 AM
Well, injuries happen in football and we were just unfortunate that its happened to our best DB after having already lost our most experienced safety. Hate to say it, but of the games we have left, not having Redmond is going to hurt the most in the OM game. They are probably the best passing team we have left on the schedule. We need some others to really step up in the secondary. Wonder if we will have to pull the RS off of Smitherman or just go with what's left?

HoopsDawg
10-22-2015, 10:32 AM
Well, injuries happen in football and we were just unfortunate that its happened to our best DB after having already lost our most experienced safety. Hate to say it, but of the games we have left, not having Redmond is going to hurt the most in the OM game. They are probably the best passing team we have left on the schedule. We need some others to really step up in the secondary. Wonder if we will have to pull the RS off of Smitherman or just go with what's left?

It would be really bad to pull a redshirt off of anyone at this point. I can't believe they almost burned Dedrick Thomas's last week. Thank goodness Fred Brown knew the plays.

Jiles will be fine. I think it would be a mistake to move Cleveland out there. Ignorant message boards fans have given Cleveland a hard time, but he has been pretty good at inside corner. I don't want to see Cleveland on the outside though.

RougeDawg
10-22-2015, 10:33 AM

Correct. Based on what I've witnessed and experienced myself is that the majority of ACL tears come from non contact incidents. Most of the ones we've seen this year are non contact cuts or slips. My two ACL tears were playing baseball making a cut and turning to catch a fly ball. Played soccer and baseball through HS, baseball in college and the only two times I tore mine were non contact baseball.

There is a growing theory amongst Dr's in the orthopedic field that today's cleats are so well designed and grip the surface so well the human body (ligaments, joints) is not designed for these types of cuts and stops. Before you say "well look at Barry Sanders", yes there are exceptions to every rule or statement. Bottom line is the Dr's have seen a growing trend of knee and ankle ligament issues as the quality, design , and effectiveness of the footwear has evolve and continues to improve.

blacklistedbully
10-22-2015, 10:34 AM
IMO, Will was our Dak on D. I think he personally masked so much of our secondary issues that this is a HUGE, CRITICAL blow to our chances going forward.

Before this, I was thinking we have a pretty damn good shot at winning out, or losing 1 more. Now, I'm hopeful, but much more skeptical about chances in every game.

We now need one of the younger dudes to, not only step up and be SEC starter-caliber right now, but be close to the level of Will. How many guys are there that good in the entire SEC, or for that matter, the entire country?

We need another shut-down corner, or we become much more vulnerable on every play. Do we have one?

Coach34
10-22-2015, 10:41 AM
It would be really bad to pull a redshirt off of anyone at this point. I can't believe they almost burned Dedrick Thomas's last week. Thank goodness Fred Brown knew the plays.

Jiles will be fine. I think it would be a mistake to move Cleveland out there. Ignorant message boards fans have given Cleveland a hard time, but he has been pretty good at inside corner. I don't want to see Cleveland on the outside though.

9.5 times out of 10 your Nickel corner is the guy considered to be your 3rd best CB. Also the reason you saw Cleveland start in place of Calhoun. I'll be flat out shocked if Cleveland doesn't start. Jiles now be the Nickel guy and Smokey will get reps.

HoopsDawg
10-22-2015, 10:49 AM
9.5 times out of 10 your Nickel corner is the guy considered to be your 3rd best CB. Also the reason you saw Cleveland start in place of Calhoun. I'll be flat out shocked if Cleveland doesn't start. Jiles now be the Nickel guy and Smokey will get reps.

That's all true and that's what will probably happen. But since the USM game, Jiles and Smokey have been coming in on the outside and we have left Cleveland inside. I think we are making 2 positions weaker by moving Cleveland outside instead of just one. I also think Jiles is a decent corner.

HSVDawg
10-22-2015, 10:55 AM

This is correct. Most ACL tears are actually non-contact, regardless of whether it's an athlete or not. Either way, he's a football player, and a defensive one at that. Risk of injuries due to contact are always going to be there. You can't play two hand touch at practice for every position on the field.

mstatefan91
10-22-2015, 11:36 AM
I hate it for him. I'll never forget the game winning interception against Arkansas and the effort that Will gave every week.

Hope he gets healthy and does big things in the NFL.

starkvegasdawg
10-22-2015, 11:46 AM
May have been mentioned already but thanks a 17ing lot Bracky. Between you and an ACL he lost over half his career. At least the ACL couldn't be helped.

PassInterference
10-22-2015, 11:56 AM
I hate it for him. I'll never forget the game winning interception against Arkansas and the effort that Will gave every week.

Yep. I'm going to miss seeing him tackle people. There were times a big WR would catch a bubble screen, or a big RB gets a swing pass, or something. I'd cringe as skinny, lanky Redmond came up for the tackle. But then Redmond would lay the lumber. Dude hits a lot bigger than he looks.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-22-2015, 11:57 AM
Sounds like graham may be the man. Hopefully he's ready. He's a local kid and I really like him

I take it your from Newton County? unless by local you meant Mississippi.

Brahmabull
10-22-2015, 11:58 AM
We will miss Redmond as much in the run game as we will in pass coverage. Dude is a tackling machine

PassInterference
10-22-2015, 11:59 AM
What do you cats think about Brandon Bryant? I haven't paid attention to him in coverage. He looked good returning a pick 6.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-22-2015, 12:09 PM
What do you cats think about Brandon Bryant? I haven't paid attention to him in coverage. He looked good returning a pick 6.

I think he's going to make a great safety. He's not a CB.

msstate7
10-22-2015, 12:19 PM
I take it your from Newton County? unless by local you meant Mississippi.

Neshoba... Pretty local haha

TrapGame
10-22-2015, 12:28 PM
We will miss Redmond as much in the run game as we will in pass coverage. Dude is a tackling machine

Oh Hell yeah. Will was great at stopping some guys that hit that soft edge. Shit, now you got me really worried.

Todd4State
10-22-2015, 12:32 PM
Logically Graham should start based on performance. In Dan's head Cleveland should start.

Graham has made some mistakes here and there- but he has also made some plays. The mistakes should be expected from someone who has played CB for a few months of his football life.

Really Clark?
10-22-2015, 12:50 PM
Logically Graham should start based on performance. In Dan's head Cleveland should start.

Graham has made some mistakes here and there- but he has also made some plays. The mistakes should be expected from someone who has played CB for a few months of his football life.

I know we like to debate this stuff with each other but there is no question Cleveland has preformed than Graham this year. Graham has gotten better but between the two, Cleveland is still better right now.

Todd4State
10-22-2015, 12:58 PM
I know we like to debate this stuff with each other but there is no question Cleveland has preformed than Graham this year. Graham has gotten better but between the two, Cleveland is still better right now.

Right. That's why USM abused Cleveland all game.

SDDawg
10-22-2015, 01:01 PM
That's rough. Tough senior season for Dak, not catching many breaks...

Todd4State
10-22-2015, 01:04 PM

If we win out, I think that would be a dandy season for Dak. The worst thing about it is it's as much on the coaches as it is anyone else for not putting the proper players out there.

Really Clark?
10-22-2015, 01:06 PM
Right. That's why USM abused Cleveland all game.

And Graham has been abused and/or lost for half of his limited opportunities. And Redmond got abused last week as well. Don't pick and choose a play or game. You know good and well that he hasn't been abused all year. He has actually been playing pretty well for the most part. And I'm not saying he is our best cover guy but he is better than Graham right now. But Graham is right, he is going to have to step up and get better quickly. No choice.

defiantdog
10-22-2015, 01:19 PM
I know we're talking about people stepping up and others covering spots, but this is a huge blow. Redmond will be back on that knee doing drills in a few months (Dr. Dugas at the Andrews Clinic does miracles), but we're in some trouble. Teams have respected Redmond's side all year. We may see teams opening up a lot more.

chef dixon
10-22-2015, 01:21 PM
Cleveland has improved a lot since the USM game.

MetEdDawg
10-22-2015, 01:24 PM

If Dak gets through this season with a 9-3 MSU, he should be an All American. A season ending injury midway through the season to your best defender, to a really below average RB situation, replaced 3 senior OL in front of him, and have to play the schedule we have with the numbers he's been putting up. He should be an All American.

I don't care what kind of passes he's thrown, but no picks through 7 games with as much as he's thrown is ridiculous. And if we go 9-3 that means out of our last 5 games, he wins 4 of UK, @Mizzou, Bama, @Arkansas, OM. That's no cake walk right there and would be pretty damn impressive all things considered.

louisvilledawg
10-22-2015, 01:36 PM

Gonna be hard to do that with the type of running game we have right now.

CadaverDawg
10-22-2015, 01:44 PM
Gonna be hard to do that with the type of running game we have right now.

Yep. It can be done, but it will take the right personnel and some imagination from Dan's play calling. But it can be done.

RiverCityDawg
10-22-2015, 01:46 PM
Cleveland has improved a lot since the USM game.

I agree. He's certainly had his shaky moments, but I actually thought these last two games were his best to-date. He's clearly better than smokey at this point (as he should be, given smokey is new to the position).

CadaverDawg
10-22-2015, 01:51 PM
Seems to me that Cleveland played better overall his past two seasons than he has this season. He just seems to get beaten badly on a lot of basic routes that aren't even run that well by receivers. I have seen him get totally crossed up multiple times on an out route that the receiver rounded off instead of making a good sharp cut. Cleveland ended up 7 yards away when the guy caught it. Multiple times.

But he looked promising last year, so maybe being "the guy" on that side will get him going. He's a hell of a blitzer...I wouldn't mind seeing him play a nickel/rover that blitzes and helps in run/short pass support, and let Jiles take Will's spot. But I'll trust the coaches on that.

Todd4State
10-22-2015, 02:49 PM
Seems to me that Cleveland played better overall his past two seasons than he has this season. He just seems to get beaten badly on a lot of basic routes that aren't even run that well by receivers. I have seen him get totally crossed up multiple times on an out route that the receiver rounded off instead of making a good sharp cut. Cleveland ended up 7 yards away when the guy caught it. Multiple times.

But he looked promising last year, so maybe being "the guy" on that side will get him going. He's a hell of a blitzer...I wouldn't mind seeing him play a nickel/rover that blitzes and helps in run/short pass support, and let Jiles take Will's spot. But I'll trust the coaches on that.

Sounds like someone who should be playing SEC football.

And as far as trusting the coaches- yeah they've nailed every personnel decision the past five years...

JoseBrown
10-22-2015, 03:24 PM

Sucks for both of them. Man, David Fair was a freaking freak, if that's possible. Dude was built and cut, I didn't think anything could hurt him...until the knee...damn, just damn for Redmond too. I loved watching him play! Well guess we'll just be closing in on CBu after he gets drafted..

PassInterference
10-22-2015, 03:31 PM
Freeze's move to keep Tee Sheppard from MSU pays off. This would hurt less with Tee here.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-22-2015, 04:39 PM
Son of a bitch...this freaking sucks for the guy. I'd want him on any of my teams. We need you to lead these young bucks Mr. Calhoun!