PDA

View Full Version : So who will be our new pitching coach?

msstate7
10-22-2015, 07:44 AM
Butch gone

MsStateBaseball
10-22-2015, 08:58 AM
The Cohen statement last night was weird BC he knew he had taken the job. Wes Johnson of Dallas Baptist should be considered.

louisvilledawg
10-22-2015, 09:13 AM
Butch gone

Any chance we entertain the idea of roy oswalt?

Jacksondevildog
10-22-2015, 09:16 AM
[QUOTE=louisvilledawg;434218]Any chance we entertain the idea of roy oswalt?[/QUOTE

We can do much better than that. If we lost Brian Johnson, I don't want John Bond coming to coach quarterbacks in 2016.

MsStateBaseball
10-22-2015, 09:17 AM
The coach has to be a good recruiter too. Oswalt never has done it.

ShotgunDawg
10-22-2015, 09:18 AM

No shot. Wes Johnson is the no brainer option

Homedawg
10-22-2015, 09:22 AM

He wouldn't touch it. Too much time away from hunting. Hell being a college coach is way worse on your time than a pro player. Plus he doesn't need the money.

Taog Redloh
10-22-2015, 09:32 AM
So....this has been going on for weeks now. Where is the confirmation?

MsStateBaseball
10-22-2015, 09:39 AM
The confirmation is when Butch travels to a Auburn and is introduced. That is how it usually happens.

To have the news so early in the morning means it was a done deal a few days ago. Just waiting until the fall was overwith.

Taog Redloh
10-22-2015, 09:43 AM
The confirmation is when Butch travels to a Auburn and is introduced. That is how it usually happens.

To have the news so early in the morning means it was a done deal a few days ago. Just waiting until the fall was overwith.
Really? Never thought of that.

You really need to cut it out with the pretentiousness, pal. It was a simple question. I think anybody with a brain knew I was asking for a link or some other type of tangible evidence, or at least something specific.

ETA: Took out 'asshole'. Yes, I am actually trying to tone that down.

MsStateBaseball
10-22-2015, 09:59 AM
Don't ask such silly question next time. Auburns not going to do anything until he shows up. Grow up.

Taog Redloh
10-22-2015, 10:10 AM
Don't ask such silly question next time. Auburns not going to do anything until he shows up. Grow up.
Did you even read my post? Grow up? Ha, sure thing grandpaw. Media is little different now than in 1975.

louisvilledawg
10-22-2015, 10:20 AM
No shot. Wes Johnson is the no brainer option

I was just curious. I knew he was around the program a good bit and is a starkville resident. Yeah Wes Johnson would be great.

Taog Redloh
10-22-2015, 10:25 AM
I was just curious. I knew he was around the program a good bit and is a starkville resident. Yeah Wes Johnson would be great.
I definitely like having Oswalt (and to a better extent, other actual MSU baseball alumni) around the program, but I'm not sure I want them coaching, because then you have that work relationship thing going on. I think those ex-players are right where they need to be - on the periphery, donating money and helping recruit simply by their presence. I REALLY wish we could get Palmeiro back around Starkville. He says he wants to be around baseball, no better place for him IMO.

MSUDawg99
10-22-2015, 10:29 AM

You really need to cut it out with the pretentiousness, pal. It was a simple question. I think anybody with a brain knew I was asking for a link or some other type of tangible evidence, or at least something specific.

Robbie Faulk is a good source on Twitter for this right now https://twitter.com/robbiefaulk247/status/657191175615598592

And Kendall Rogers https://twitter.com/KendallRogersD1/status/657202902566436867

Taog Redloh
10-22-2015, 10:37 AM
Robbie Faulk is a good source on Twitter for this right now https://twitter.com/robbiefaulk247/status/657191175615598592

And Kendall Rogers https://twitter.com/KendallRogersD1/status/657202902566436867
Thanks. Oh well, bring on the replacements I guess.

ScottH
10-22-2015, 10:54 AM
D1 is publishing their replacement list soon.

Rogers is as dialed in so it is likely next guy up is on the list.

mparkerfd20
10-22-2015, 01:19 PM
It's finally official.

https://twitter.com/Auburn_Baseball/status/657258876212006912

http://www.d1baseball.com/columns/auburn-to-hire-msus-butch-thompson/

mparkerfd20
10-22-2015, 01:26 PM
And D1 just posted a list of potential replacements. Of course it's premium content I won't pay for, but someone will leak the names soon enough.

CadaverDawg
10-22-2015, 01:42 PM
And D1 just posted a list of potential replacements. Of course it's premium content I won't pay for, but someone will leak the names soon enough.

MStateBaseball, you have to be a member, give us the scoop. Would be your best work yet, brother

mparkerfd20
10-22-2015, 01:45 PM
MStateBaseball, you have to be a member, give us the scoop. Would be your best work yet, brother

That's not saying much.*

MsStateBaseball
10-22-2015, 01:52 PM
I'm working on it.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-22-2015, 01:53 PM
I'm working on it..

CadaverDawg
10-22-2015, 01:54 PM

Haha

MsStateBaseball
10-22-2015, 02:06 PM
Jason Dietrich of Cal St Fullerton is the leading candidate.

MsStateBaseball
10-22-2015, 02:08 PM
Drew Dickinson, Illinios
Wes Johnson, Dallas Baptist
Rob Smith, Ohio
Robert Woodard, Virginia Tech

bulldogcountry1
10-22-2015, 02:11 PM
Drew Dickinson, Illinios
Wes Johnson, Dallas Baptist
Rob Smith, Ohio
Robert Woodard, Virginia Tech

THE Drew Dickinson?

ScottH
10-22-2015, 02:14 PM
Jason Dietrich of Cal St Fullerton is the leading candidate.

That'll be a culture shock.

Better take Howland with him to lunch.

MsStateBaseball
10-22-2015, 02:24 PM
Jason Dietrich, Cal State Fullerton

Considered the clear-cut candidate to replace Butch Thompson at Mississippi State, Dietrich is someone that a lot of Bulldogs fans probably aren’t familiar with, but who now should be. Dietrich has done an amazing job in his last two seasons as Cal State Fullerton’s pitching coach and recruiting coordinator. Dietrich has guided two of the nation’s elite pitching staffs the last two years, even helping the staff succeed at a high level this past season and get to the College World Series despite losing starting pitcher Justin Garza for the year because of an injury. Dietrich opens up some Southern California recruiting ties, and also has high acclaim from his peers on the West Coast from past stints at places like UC Irvine, where he worked under legendary head coach Mike Gillespie. The expectation at this point is that Dietrich will be the hire for the Bulldogs, but it’s still early in the process.

archdog
10-22-2015, 02:51 PM
We need to go get Roy Oswalt.

BrunswickDawg
10-22-2015, 02:53 PM
from Twitter:
@Coach_Cohen: One of Nation's Elite Pitching Coaches will be joining our program soon #HailState

Todd4State
10-22-2015, 02:54 PM
Dietrich is a Cal State- Fullerton alum. Not sure why he is considered the leading candidate?

http://www.fullertontitans.com/sports/m-basebl/coaches/dietrich_jason00.html

Todd4State
10-22-2015, 02:56 PM
We need to go get Roy Oswalt.

Just because you were a great baseball player does not mean you will be a great coach. Ask Ted Williams about his managerial career.

The only capacity a guy like Oswalt should be in would be as a volunteer assistant at this point.

Todd4State
10-22-2015, 02:58 PM
Wes Johnson makes more sense to me.

http://dbupatriots.com/news/2011/6/23/johnson.aspx?path=baseball

MsStateBaseball
10-22-2015, 02:59 PM
Sounds to me Cohen just hired someone.

mstatefan91
10-22-2015, 03:00 PM
Looks like the job has already been taken care of. Hope so

MsStateBaseball
10-22-2015, 03:01 PM
My contact in Southern California told me Dietrich is a superb coach and a hell of a recruiter. Quote.

Todd4State
10-22-2015, 03:01 PM
Drew Dickinson is really young. He's also an Illinois alum. Good resume though.

http://www.fightingillini.com/staff.aspx?staff=175

AlSwearengen
10-22-2015, 03:02 PM
Dietrich is a Cal State- Fullerton alum. Not sure why he is considered the leading candidate?

http://www.fullertontitans.com/sports/m-basebl/coaches/dietrich_jason00.html

Todd, wouldn't we pay considerably more than Fullerton? Also, branching out and having success at multiple baseball schools would have to help his resume as far as getting a head job.

Todd4State
10-22-2015, 03:03 PM
Rob Smith is Ohio's HEAD COACH. Why would he leave that to be a pitching coach in the SEC?

http://www.ohiobobcats.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/rob_smith_801696.html

Todd4State
10-22-2015, 03:05 PM
Todd, wouldn't we pay considerably more than Fullerton? Also, branching out and having success at multiple baseball schools would have to help his resume as far as getting a head job.

Probably. Baseball is THE sport at Fullerton. It just depends on what Dietrich wants to do- and him branching out would probably help him especially in light of what we saw happen to Raffo when he stayed hoping to get promoted.

Todd4State
10-22-2015, 03:07 PM
Robert Woodward's bio. Looks like another good candidate, but not as good as Dietrich or Johnson.

http://www.hokiesports.com/staff/woodard.html

defiantdog
10-22-2015, 03:12 PM
This really does feel like a planned move. Since Cohen is talking about already having a new coach.

Todd4State
10-22-2015, 03:16 PM
This really does feel like a planned move. Since Cohen is talking about already having a new coach.

Cohen I'm sure knew that Butch was looking/talking to Auburn and I'm sure Cohen is on the ball with this. This has been rumored for awhile so it's not like it's out of the blue or anything.

We probably asked Butch to go through the fall with our guys and then leave after that.

The question now is whether Cohen has actually officially hired someone or if they are still in the interview process.

War Machine Dawg
10-22-2015, 03:23 PM
Sweet baby Jesus, please let it be Wes Johnson. Power arms and teaching pitchers to throw harder. Enough of the traditional style of pitching coach. I wanna see MFers throwing in the 90s.

Homedawg
10-22-2015, 03:30 PM
Sounds to me Cohen just hired someone.

It's done.

Homedawg
10-22-2015, 03:32 PM
Sweet baby Jesus, please let it be Wes Johnson. Power arms and teaching pitchers to throw harder. Enough of the traditional style of pitching coach. I wanna see MFers throwing in the 90s.

It's not him.

CadaverDawg
10-22-2015, 03:35 PM
It's not him.

Dietrich.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-22-2015, 03:48 PM
Dietrich.

Damn, he has a hell of a resume. Good young coach.

Todd4State
10-22-2015, 03:58 PM
Dietrich.

That's what everyone that is reputable is saying.

MsStateBaseball
10-22-2015, 04:11 PM
I can confirm. Like my contact said he's a superb pitching coach and a hell of a recruiter. Expect more recruits from Southern California .

Dog316
10-22-2015, 04:26 PM

<><><><>

Your post makes me wonder whose goat you are holding. Poor goat!

ShotgunDawg
10-22-2015, 04:29 PM
I can confirm. Like my contact said he's a superb pitching coach and a hell of a recruiter. Expect more recruits from Southern California .

This is a great hire. I was on the Wes Johnson bandwagon, but this guy has been a great pitching coach & recruiting at the highest level in the game. This is a BIG BOY hire & one that only 5 or so programs in the country could make.

Great job Cohen

ScoobaDawg
10-22-2015, 04:49 PM
Way to photoshop one of our pics Auburn.....

http://www.d1baseball.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/ButchThompsonMSU700.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CR8Ndw-UAAAbxqU.jpg:large

Todd4State
10-22-2015, 04:54 PM
This is a great hire. I was on the Wes Johnson bandwagon, but this guy has been a great pitching coach & recruiting at the highest level in the game. This is a BIG BOY hire & one that only 5 or so programs in the country could make.

Great job Cohen

Dietrich's track record is really good, but my question is how will he develop guys into power arms? Only because in California they seem to really like junk ball pitchers.

bobcat91
10-22-2015, 06:30 PM
Dietrich's track record is really good, but my question is how will he develop guys into power arms? Only because in California they seem to really like junk ball pitchers.

I'm not worried about power vs junk ball. Just teach them to be effective. Maddux couldn't break a pane of glass but was a 300 win guy in the league.

Todd4State
10-22-2015, 07:56 PM
I'm not worried about power vs junk ball. Just teach them to be effective. Maddux couldn't break a pane of glass but was a 300 win guy in the league.

He's an anomaly. It's probably easier for us to find someone that can throw 94-96 than it is to find someone with Maddux-esque movement.

MabenMaroon
10-22-2015, 09:09 PM

I believe one of his players Thomas Eshelman was my Astros 3rd pick this year ( # 46 overall ) threw over 100 innings this year with 17 walks. Fastball in the 90-92 range with impeccable control. I would take one of those on the MSU teams every third year or so.

KB21
10-22-2015, 09:15 PM
He's an anomaly. It's probably easier for us to find someone that can throw 94-96 than it is to find someone with Maddux-esque movement.

It's not easier to find someone that throws in the mid '90s that have control, command, and secondary pitches. Those guys tend to go pro out of high school. The majority of the power arms that do come to college have to develop a feel for pitching, either with their command and control similar to Dakota Hudson, or they have to develop secondary pitches. Jordan Sheffield for Vandy was a hard throwing kid out of high school who has been a spot starter and bull pen guy for them to this point because he doesn't have all the nuances of pitching.

What I want in a pitching coach is someone that can identify mechanical flaws that effect a pitcher's control, command, and even velocity to an extent. Throwing in the mid '90s is something that comes natural for some, and for others, you are screwing up their mechanics by asking them to try to throw that hard. There are a few that have some mechanical alterations that end up picking up a few ticks on their fastball. Others simply take a while to grow into their bodies.

KB21
10-22-2015, 09:20 PM
It is interesting that Jason Dietrich was a leading candidate for the Cal State Bakersfield head coaching job, and he pulled out of the running on August 26th. I think it is possible this has been in the works for quite some time.

Homedawg
10-22-2015, 09:41 PM
It is interesting that Jason Dietrich was a leading candidate for the Cal State Bakersfield head coaching job, and he pulled out of the running on August 26th. I think it is possible this has been in the works for quite some time.

Does he have ESP? He knew auburn was going to fire their coach, butch was going to get it, and we would come after him? Yea sure sounds like it

defiantdog
10-22-2015, 09:46 PM
Does he have ESP? He knew auburn was going to fire their coach, butch was going to get it, and we would come after him? Yea sure sounds like it
Definitely in the works

Homedawg
10-22-2015, 09:49 PM
On August 25? Talk about conspiracy theories. Wow. I'm not saying it's wrong. I'm saying that's total bullshit.

Todd4State
10-22-2015, 10:26 PM
It's not easier to find someone that throws in the mid '90s that have control, command, and secondary pitches. Those guys tend to go pro out of high school. The majority of the power arms that do come to college have to develop a feel for pitching, either with their command and control similar to Dakota Hudson, or they have to develop secondary pitches. Jordan Sheffield for Vandy was a hard throwing kid out of high school who has been a spot starter and bull pen guy for them to this point because he doesn't have all the nuances of pitching.

What I want in a pitching coach is someone that can identify mechanical flaws that effect a pitcher's control, command, and even velocity to an extent. Throwing in the mid '90s is something that comes natural for some, and for others, you are screwing up their mechanics by asking them to try to throw that hard. There are a few that have some mechanical alterations that end up picking up a few ticks on their fastball. Others simply take a while to grow into their bodies.

I'm saying it's more difficult to find someone with Greg Maddux-esque movement. He was on another planet. We can find a lot of guys with Ross Mitchell movement.

Pitchers are throwing harder than ever and there are more pitchers throwing harder than ever every year. A lot of them are ending up in college. Heck, we have several guys that throw in the 90's right now on our staff as it is.

Todd4State
10-22-2015, 10:28 PM
I believe one of his players Thomas Eshelman was my Astros 3rd pick this year ( # 46 overall ) threw over 100 innings this year with 17 walks. Fastball in the 90-92 range with impeccable control. I would take one of those on the MSU teams every third year or so.

I want all of our starting pitcher to be that.

One interesting thing I saw on his bio that stood out to me- he has a history of freshmen pitchers being productive. That was one thing I didn't like about Butch. We had to wait until a guys junior year before we saw major production.

Todd4State
10-22-2015, 10:42 PM

It may not be as far fetched as you think. Galloway was let go in late September about a month after August 26th. Auburn has been trying to get rid of him since 2014. He was fired for essentially having his players practice too long (NCAA violation) and also coincidentally got rid of the pitching coach that Galloway hired after getting rid of their other pitching coach and being sued by him.

Now, how long was Auburn investigating Galloway? I'm not sure. It could have certainly taken that long to get all of their i's dotted and t's crossed before dropping the axe.

And part of all of that probably included putting out feelers to potential candidates who would have been interested in the job- which is probably when Cohen found out and when we may have reached out to Dietrich.

May or may not have happened that way, but it's certainly possible.

War Machine Dawg
10-22-2015, 10:54 PM
I want all of our starting pitcher to be that.

One interesting thing I saw on his bio that stood out to me- he has a history of freshmen pitchers being productive. That was one thing I didn't like about Butch. We had to wait until a guys junior year before we saw major production.

A-damn-men! Only getting 1 year out of our pitchers was bullshit.

Homedawg
10-22-2015, 11:08 PM
It may not be as far fetched as you think. Galloway was let go in late September about a month after August 26th. Auburn has been trying to get rid of him since 2014. He was fired for essentially having his players practice too long (NCAA violation) and also coincidentally got rid of the pitching coach that Galloway hired after getting rid of their other pitching coach and being sued by him.

Now, how long was Auburn investigating Galloway? I'm not sure. It could have certainly taken that long to get all of their i's dotted and t's crossed before dropping the axe.

And part of all of that probably included putting out feelers to potential candidates who would have been interested in the job- which is probably when Cohen found out and when we may have reached out to Dietrich.

May or may not have happened that way, but it's certainly possible.

Ok whatever. It's not only not what happened it's what I said- total bullshit. Absurd. Stupid. What else???

Todd4State
10-22-2015, 11:11 PM
Ok whatever. It's not only not what happened it's what I said- total bullshit. Absurd. Stupid. What else???

Again, I didn't say that was what happened. Just that it wasn't as far fetched as you said- word travels very quickly in baseball circles. If you know something more- then share it rather than call people stupid.

Homedawg
10-22-2015, 11:22 PM
Again, I didn't say that was what happened. Just that it wasn't as far fetched as you said- word travels very quickly in baseball circles. If you know something more- then share it rather than call people stupid.

I don't have to tell you what I know. It wouldn't matter if I did. You would say it wasn't far fetched. To say john had this guy on his short list of butch ever left and had conversations prior- that would make sense. To say a guy got out of a head coaching search because he knew he was coming to here is just nuts. Sorry if that bothers u

ScottH
10-22-2015, 11:29 PM
From a Assts Ready to be Head Coaches Post elsewhere - Dietrich and Dickinson - Butch was also on list

Dietrich has been in the mix for the Cal State Bakersfield vacancy this summer, so his quest for a head coaching job could very well come to an end. However, for now, he?s still an assistant and he?s got one heck of a pedigree. Dietrich did one of the most impressive jobs of any coach this past season, guiding the Titans to plenty of success on the mound despite losing starting pitchers Justin Garza (injury) and Phil Bickford (to transfer). Dietrich is an excellent teacher and recently finished his third season with the Titans. In addition to his stint at Fullerton, Dietrich spent five seasons as UC Irvine?s pitching coach before joining Rick Vanderhook?s staff. Dietrich would be an excellent choice for anyone looking for an instant impact coach and excellent teacher.

Drew Dickinson, Illinois
The Fighting Illini had an outstanding 2015 season, and much of that is thanks to an excellent coaching staff. Though much of the talk this summer has been about hitting coach and recruiting coordinator Spencer Allen getting the Northwestern job, the Illini also have another outstanding assistant in pitching coach Drew Dickinson. Dickinson has done a terrific job with the Illinois pitching staff in his four seasons with the program, having several of the nation?s elite arms this past season, including lefthanders Kevin Duchene and Tyler Jay, among others. Dickinson is a very hard-nosed coach who demands excellence from his players, and he doesn?t hide that approach.

CadaverDawg
10-22-2015, 11:55 PM
Just saw this on Twitter. Don't know how credible it is...

@CB_Daily: .@BFoley82 has confirmed that current @BaseballTitans PC Jason Dietrich will head to @HailStateBB as the PC replacing Butch Thompson #SEC

Todd4State
10-23-2015, 12:27 AM
I don't have to tell you what I know. It wouldn't matter if I did. You would say it wasn't far fetched. To say john had this guy on his short list of butch ever left and had conversations prior- that would make sense. To say a guy got out of a head coaching search because he knew he was coming to here is just nuts. Sorry if that bothers u

In other words you don't know any more than anyone else on here. But feel free to call other people stupid, absurd, etc.

It doesn't bother me- just if you have something to add to the board share it rather than calling people stupid when you claim to know otherwise- yet you really never add any information to the contrary.

Todd4State
10-23-2015, 12:29 AM
From a Assts Ready to be Head Coaches Post elsewhere - Dietrich and Dickinson - Butch was also on list

Dietrich has been in the mix for the Cal State Bakersfield vacancy this summer, so his quest for a head coaching job could very well come to an end. However, for now, he?s still an assistant and he?s got one heck of a pedigree. Dietrich did one of the most impressive jobs of any coach this past season, guiding the Titans to plenty of success on the mound despite losing starting pitchers Justin Garza (injury) and Phil Bickford (to transfer). Dietrich is an excellent teacher and recently finished his third season with the Titans. In addition to his stint at Fullerton, Dietrich spent five seasons as UC Irvine?s pitching coach before joining Rick Vanderhook?s staff. Dietrich would be an excellent choice for anyone looking for an instant impact coach and excellent teacher.

Drew Dickinson, Illinois
The Fighting Illini had an outstanding 2015 season, and much of that is thanks to an excellent coaching staff. Though much of the talk this summer has been about hitting coach and recruiting coordinator Spencer Allen getting the Northwestern job, the Illini also have another outstanding assistant in pitching coach Drew Dickinson. Dickinson has done a terrific job with the Illinois pitching staff in his four seasons with the program, having several of the nation?s elite arms this past season, including lefthanders Kevin Duchene and Tyler Jay, among others. Dickinson is a very hard-nosed coach who demands excellence from his players, and he doesn?t hide that approach.

When Cal State Fullerton is looking for their next head baseball coach, they may very well go after Dietrich.

ScottH
10-23-2015, 12:31 AM
Probably means zero other than give our resident baseball experts something to argue about:

Dietrich CSF ERA
13 2.47 SOS 44
14 2.24 SOS 47
15 2.89 SOS 14

Thompson MSU ERA
13 2.79 SOS 2
14 3.06 SOS 27
15 4.51 SOS 39

Todd4State
10-23-2015, 12:43 AM
Probably means zero other than give our resident baseball experts something to argue about:

Dietrich CSF ERA
13 2.47 SOS 44
14 2.24 SOS 47
15 2.89 SOS 14

Thompson MSU ERA
13 2.79 SOS 2
14 3.06 SOS 27
15 4.51 SOS 39

Fullerton usually has a really strong pitching staff. And they usually play all of the really good West Coast teams like USC, UCLA, Long Beach State, Stanford, etc.

I will say that I thought Butch really mismanaged our pitching staff last year and it killed us. He should have had Hudson, Tatum , and Sexton start and then used Laster who was our best pitcher like we used Caleb Reed out of the bullpen along with Fitts and Houston. If we do that, I think we make a regional.

We'll see what Dietrich can do with our guys- but having a legit ace in Dakota Hudson helps a lot not to mention several veteran pitchers. Maybe he can even get the urban legend of Paul Young going as well.

ScottH
10-23-2015, 01:10 AM
F
We'll see what Dietrich can do with our guys- but having a legit ace in Dakota Hudson helps a lot not to mention several veteran pitchers. Maybe he can even get the urban legend of Paul Young going as well.

Or find an immediately eligible closer needing a new home at Christmas break.

CadaverDawg
10-23-2015, 01:31 AM
This is going to sound elementary...but I am hoping Dietrich will do a little less of the "outsmart you" stuff. Meaning, have our best 3 pitchers as Starters that are expected and prepared to go 6+ innings each outing. No bringing guys out with a 2-2 count to bring in our Center Fielder, or any of that shit. No piggy backing guys that have no business "starting", and asking them to "give us 1 time through the order". I want 3 solid weekend starters, but I also want a TRUE Ace. No more Friday starters that can't break a window pane, and have no strikeout pitches. And no more bullpens filled with head cases.

That may be too much to ask, but I think we'll see a lot of those issues disappear with our recent pitching talent upgrade, and the arrival of Dietrich.

And in no way am I saying Butch was bad...he wasn't. He was great. I'll be thrilled if Dietrich is better overall. That being said, I never felt comfortable about our starting pitching under Butch, and outside of Stratton, I never felt we had a real Ace. It just always left me with an uneasy feeling knowing we had to rely on piggy backing, a dominant bullpen, a strikeout with a new pitcher entering with a 2-2 count, etc. Butch did a helluva job making our staff elite when the talent wasn't that great....now I'm ready to see our better talent be used in a more traditional form to win games.

MSUDawg4Life
10-23-2015, 03:31 AM
When Cal State Fullerton is looking for their next head baseball coach, they may very well go after Dietrich.

True, but in the meantime lets win some ball games.

I think a successful program would want its assistants moving on to be successful head coaches. I don't have a problem with talented assistants moving on at some point. That simply means we have quality assistants.

Congratulations to Coach Thompson, welcome to Starkville Coach Dietrich and go Dawgs!

MsStateBaseball
10-23-2015, 06:53 AM
Dietrich may be here a couple of years so be it. Let's win big. CSF is known as a pitchers school, have been since late 70's.

We have what it takes to go to Omaha in 2016. Dietrich should squeeze all the talent out of the whole staff.

MsStateBaseball
10-23-2015, 07:47 AM
Butch had to try different things bc of the talent level. Dietrich won't do that. He is a more straight forward pitching coach. He was actually a pitcher himself! Butch was not!

maroonmania
10-23-2015, 09:55 AM
Butch had to try different things bc of the talent level. Dietrich won't do that. He is a more straight forward pitching coach. He was actually a pitcher himself! Butch was not!

I believe we will miss Butch more as a person and recruiter than pitching coach. His methods worked with some pitchers but not with a good number of others. And as has been stated, its rather frustrating that we seemed to never get anything out of freshman pitchers under Butch and, in fact, a lot of our best pitchers under him were really only good ONE year. Would just like to see a little more consistency where our guys are useful at least in the SO and JR years and it doesn't take "going to the Cape" to get their act together (like a Dakota Hudson). No doubt though that the new pitching coach is going to have much more raw talent at his disposal than what Butch had for most of his time here.

Saltydog
10-23-2015, 12:30 PM
He pitched in HS, JC and in college at B'ham Southern. Soft tossing lefty.

MSUDawg4Life
10-23-2015, 12:37 PM

Ouch!

Homedawg
10-23-2015, 12:38 PM

Good grief dude, please at least attempt to know wtf you are talking about. Butch was a pitcher. Ugh

Homedawg
10-23-2015, 12:39 PM

Sorry beat me to it.

MsStateBaseball
10-23-2015, 12:46 PM
Story I read he played football. Sorry dudes, your always right.

Saltydog
10-23-2015, 01:02 PM
football but he was indeed a pitcher.

Taog Redloh
10-23-2015, 01:18 PM
Grow up dude, you just got:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/tumblon_production/photo_derivatives/8d4fdcbe3d4b0ddc53d0da9176b731d37c273619/423/funny-pictures-cat-pwns-dog_medium.jpg

MsStateBaseball
10-23-2015, 01:25 PM
I know. Some people love to be negative toward others when they can't have what they want.

I will bet this. Dietrich will be a better pitching coach than Butch. Statistically speaking. If we have a sub 3.00 ERA in 2016 we are in Super/CWS.

I seen it dawg
10-23-2015, 01:28 PM

Dude really?

MsStateBaseball
10-23-2015, 01:37 PM
Changing subject a little. I don't think recruiting has wavered since butch left. Ming is doing quite well. A few good players will be visiting this weekend.

I would expect the new coach to be announced tomorrow afternoon at the latest.

sandjunky
10-23-2015, 01:59 PM

You're**

CadaverDawg
10-23-2015, 03:18 PM
I don't think recruiting has wavered since butch left.

He left yesterday afternoon.

May be a bit too early to tell

MsStateBaseball
10-23-2015, 03:55 PM
We got a pitching commit yesterday. We have a big Texan visiting this weekend but he's not a pitcher. A couple of others will be visiting too.

Ming might be in Jupiter though. Butch mentioned Jupiter at Auburn yesterday so he might be down there too.

Dawgtini
10-23-2015, 05:40 PM
He left yesterday afternoon.

May be a bit too early to tell

+1. (Was so obvious, or at least I would have thought it was)

War Machine Dawg
10-23-2015, 07:35 PM
+1. (Was so obvious, or at least I would have thought it was)

MSB might be the most unintentional comedy on ED. He might be the classic example of an "MSU baseball fan" as opposed to an actual baseball fan. Wonder if we'll hit 50 HRs this season?

MsStateBaseball
10-23-2015, 10:14 PM
No we'll hit 45.

Saltydog
10-23-2015, 11:09 PM
is usually pretty good info. Now, he's the ultimate eternal optimist but he does love MSU baseball.