PDA

View Full Version : 6 Ws in a row vs UK have evened the series at

Leroy Jenkins
10-21-2015, 11:18 AM
21-21. Our football history is doo-doo.

Taog Redloh
10-21-2015, 11:21 AM
Forget that, we are 22-20 vs. them. On-the-field wins count. The NCAA or whoever is dumb in this regard.

sleepy dawg
10-21-2015, 11:26 AM
Forget that, we are 22-20 vs. them. On-the-field wins count. The NCAA or whoever is dumb in this regard.

What do you mean?

10-21-2015, 11:57 AM
What do you mean?

14 October 9, 1976 Jackson, MS Mississippi State† 14–7

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky–Mississippi_State_football_rivalry

Jack Lambert
10-21-2015, 12:04 PM
What do you mean?

We forfieted a game to them the same year we did to USM. Back then there was no vacating wins you forfeited the wins giving the other team a Victory.

BrunswickDawg
10-21-2015, 12:22 PM
16-8 lead since 1991 - the "modern era" of MSU/SEC football - is pretty damn good.

It really sucks looking at our history against most of the SEC. But, compared to most of the schools we historically played a much more difficult schedule year in and year out. We were playing LSU, OM, AU, and Bama almost every year when the SEC only played 6 conference games. Usually UF and TN were our other opponents. The SEC raw dogged us on scheduling for 30+ years. Look at OM's schedules from the 60s-80s and you will see what I mean.

Coach34
10-21-2015, 12:31 PM
Not only that- we used to play our "home" games in Baton Rouge and in various towns around Alabama for Auburn games

BrunswickDawg
10-21-2015, 12:34 PM
Not only that- we used to play our "home" games in Baton Rouge and in various towns around Alabama for Auburn games
Not to mention all the games we played in Jackson. I still think that was a disadvantage most of the time.

blacklistedbully
10-21-2015, 12:34 PM
16-8 lead since 1991 - the "modern era" of MSU/SEC football - is pretty damn good.

It really sucks looking at our history against most of the SEC. But, compared to most of the schools we historically played a much more difficult schedule year in and year out. We were playing LSU, OM, AU, and Bama almost every year when the SEC only played 6 conference games. Usually UF and TN were our other opponents. The SEC raw dogged us on scheduling for 30+ years. Look at OM's schedules from the 60s-80s and you will see what I mean.

I have pointed this out numerous times on other MB's. The only teams UNM has played more than Vandy are us and LSU, and it's close. The teams they have avoided like the plague are Bama and Auburn. Were it not for the SEC forcing the issue beginning in 1991, you would still not see many historical games versus those teams.

Jack Lambert
10-21-2015, 12:36 PM

Just think Johnny Vaught was coach from 1947 to 1970 and only played Bama 7 times. He came back to coach in 73 but did not play bama that year. Hell Ole Miss went from 1944 to 1964 dodging Bama.

Jack Lambert
10-21-2015, 12:38 PM
Not to mention all the games we played in Jackson. I still think that was a disadvantage most of the time.

You know we only played KY in Jackson twice. The other games were either in Lexington or starkville.

BrunswickDawg
10-21-2015, 12:39 PM
You know we only played KY in Jackson twice. The other games were either in Lexington or starkville.

Yeah - was speaking more to our SEC games in general during that period.

Jack Lambert
10-21-2015, 12:41 PM
Yeah - was speaking more to our SEC games in general during that period.

I think all SEC game except KY was played in Jackson. Bigger stadium. Most OOC games played in Starkville.

I remember double hitters with both State vs SEC and Ole Miss vs another SEC the same day in Jackson. That was cool as hell.

TUSK
10-21-2015, 01:21 PM
I think all SEC game except KY was played in Jackson. Bigger stadium. Most OOC games played in Starkville.

I remember double hitters with both State vs SEC and Ole Miss vs another SEC the same day in Jackson. That was cool as hell.

I remember Bama playing their "big games" (UT, AU, ND, LSU, PSU, etc) in B'ham and the other home games in TTown for the longest...

LC Dawg
10-21-2015, 01:26 PM
21-21. Our football history is doo-doo.

A couple of weeks ago on Head to Head they were discussing Kentucky and Richard managed to slip in that our series with Kentucky is tied. I thought it was the perfect opportunity for Matt to point out that we had won six in a row over them and unlike other fan bases in the state we worry more about the present then pointing out how much we won when only white players were allowed to play college football. Of course that didn't happen.

Taog Redloh
10-21-2015, 01:29 PM
Coach34 whatever happened to your Jackson game idea? I always thought that was a good idea except for having to deal with JSU. I'd like to see us play our FCS opponents in neutral places like that in order to draw a bigger crowd, unfortunately it's VMS or bust there, so eff it I guess. Keep the money in Starkville.

blacklistedbully
10-21-2015, 01:38 PM
Just think Johnny Vaught was coach from 1947 to 1970 and only played Bama 7 times. He came back to coach in 73 but did not play bama that year. Hell Ole Miss went from 1944 to 1964 dodging Bama.

And if you ask those delusional morons in Oxford, they will swear it was Bear Bryant, scared of playing Vaught that was the issue.

Bothrops
10-21-2015, 01:51 PM
We played a lot of our home games in Jackson. I think we once even played a home game against Florida, in Tampa. Things were so ass backwards for us back then.

LC Dawg
10-21-2015, 02:01 PM

Our Boy Scout troop used to usher the games in Jackson when I was a kid. We would usher until the end of the first quarter and then we could find an empty seat and watch the game. I watched a lot of SEC football by doing this and worked a couple of the double headers. It's really hard to believe there used to be SEC double headers in Jackson.

scottycameron
10-21-2015, 02:05 PM

1986, OM vs. Tenn followed by MSU vs. LSU that night. Doubleheader. Can't imagine doing that today.

bulldogcountry1
10-21-2015, 02:06 PM
My father in law recently found a schedule poster from '71 (I think). There were only two games on campus the whole season.

Sad.

scottycameron
10-21-2015, 02:12 PM
a lot of schools wouldn't play in starkville (or oxford either). Alabama wouldn't and I don't think LSU would. The conference changed that and forced schools to play other schools like it or not. They took the options away.

Coach34
10-21-2015, 03:11 PM
Coach34 whatever happened to your Jackson game idea? I always thought that was a good idea except for having to deal with JSU. I'd like to see us play our FCS opponents in neutral places like that in order to draw a bigger crowd, unfortunately it's VMS or bust there, so eff it I guess. Keep the money in Starkville.

We had gained some steam on it and our administration was for it. Even got a couple of big sponsors interested- BUT- the logistics of doing brought us to a dead end. Memorial Stadium just wasnt a viable option anymore from the stadium to the available parking

Dawgcentral
10-21-2015, 07:38 PM
Memorial Stadium in Jackson has proven that they simply cannot host a game with 60,000 in attendance. The preseason game with the Saints and Giants displayed just how inept they would be. Two gates open. Some folks didn't get into the stadium until the 3rd quarter. Little or no traffic control.

Many folks actually left and didn't attend.

Taog Redloh
10-21-2015, 09:48 PM
Memorial Stadium in Jackson has proven that they simply cannot host a game with 60,000 in attendance. The preseason game with the Saints and Giants displayed just how inept they would be. Two gates open. Some folks didn't get into the stadium until the 3rd quarter. Little or no traffic control.

It's a shame. I wish we could actually have something in the state's biggest city. However, maybe it's not such a good idea. Anyone noticed how after every Arkansas game in Little Rock, suddenly some horrific fight from outside the stadium circulates all over the internet? Some places just weren't meant to have nice things. Jackson and Little Rock are two of those places. Memphis and Birmingham are becoming that way.

TaleofTwoDogs
10-22-2015, 12:01 AM
Our Boy Scout troop used to usher the games in Jackson when I was a kid. We would usher until the end of the first quarter and then we could find an empty seat and watch the game. I watched a lot of SEC football by doing this and worked a couple of the double headers. It's really hard to believe there used to be SEC double headers in Jackson.

You have to remember that back then, Scott Field (Davis-Wade) only seated 32K. Jackson Memorial seated 50K. The large crowds translated into bigger bucks and more exposure to recruits and the nation. Double headers were a lot of fun but a parking nightmare. Plus the fact that Oktibbeha County was dry, giving the students a reason to go to the games.

Jack Lambert
10-22-2015, 07:37 AM
You have to remember that back then, Scott Field (Davis-Wade) only seated 32K. Jackson Memorial seated 50K. The large crowds translated into bigger bucks and more exposure to recruits and the nation. Double headers were a lot of fun but a parking nightmare. Plus the fact that Oktibbeha County was dry, giving the students a reason to go to the games.

In 1980 or so they expanded Memorial Stadium. State and Southern had like 64K at a game in that stadium.

FISHDAWG
10-22-2015, 07:49 AM

sounds like the Liberty Bowl in Memphis .... as much as I love State - I will never go back to that venue

Dawgtini
10-22-2015, 08:42 AM
sounds like the Liberty Bowl in Memphis .... as much as I love State - I will never go back to that venue
I have had an awesome time both times I've gone. The Rice game was a fantastic experience. I would love another Liberty Bowl trip other than that means we didn't get to 9+ wins.

scottycameron
10-22-2015, 08:50 AM

very similar places, same demographic, same problems with running a city. Memphis can be ok to visit, the LB's have been ok there. They have a good crew who really tries hard to overcome Memphis' down side. I would rather play in a better bowl though. Memphis has a new Mayor and everybody is fired up, but I doubt it will do any good. Time will tell but I'm betting against it. Jackson is just flat out gone. Write it off and move on.

FISHDAWG
10-22-2015, 08:58 AM
I have had an awesome time both times I've gone. The Rice game was a fantastic experience. I would love another Liberty Bowl trip other than that means we didn't get to 9+ wins.

I can see you enjoying that place but only if you're full of Martini's .... maybe that's where I went wrong

MzTerry
10-22-2015, 09:47 AM
It's a shame. I wish we could actually have something in the state's biggest city. However, maybe it's not such a good idea. Anyone noticed how after every Arkansas game in Little Rock, suddenly some horrific fight from outside the stadium circulates all over the internet? Some places just weren't meant to have nice things. Jackson and Little Rock are two of those places. Memphis and Birmingham are becoming that way.

Birmingham is actually getting much better overall, the problem w/ football events here is a Legion Field problem not an overall Birmingham problem.

blacklistedbully
10-23-2015, 10:06 AM
Fairly misleading stat at this point. From the beginning they were 12-5 (11-6 on field) versus us. Ever since (starting in 1990) we are 19-6 versus them.

UK has finished the season ranked 9 times in their entire history. We just happened to play and lose to them 6 of 7 times in that period (one by forfeit). Part of our traditional bad luck. Consider that UK has played football 127 years. In that 127 years they ended up ranked just 9 times. Of the 42 times we have played them, 7 were in those 9 years. Nearly 1/3 of their total wins over us came in those years.

TrapGame
10-23-2015, 10:11 AM

My ass froze to the damn seat. It took two hours for my ass to thaw out.