mparkerfd20
10-20-2015, 04:14 PM
Later today or tomorrow.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-20-2015, 04:14 PM
good for him!

smootness
10-20-2015, 04:15 PM
So who would we target as pitching coach, and would that mean anything for the future recruits already committed?

Homedawg
10-20-2015, 04:23 PM
Ms state baseball won't believe it until a press release.

smootness
10-20-2015, 04:32 PM
I know UNC's pitching coach is a stud, though he's been there a long time and my guess is his next job will be HC somewhere. But with our resources and status as a program, if we're really serious about making baseball a priority, we should have our pick of some really talented coaches.

Homedawg
10-20-2015, 04:54 PM
I know UNC's pitching coach is a stud, though he's been there a long time and my guess is his next job will be HC somewhere. But with our resources and status as a program, if we're really serious about making baseball a priority, we should have our pick of some really talented coaches.

The timing of getting an elite assistant is awful. In the summer yea I'm w you. But now? heck I wouldn't give an assistant of mine permission to talk to another school for another assistant job.

smootness
10-20-2015, 04:57 PM
The timing of getting an elite assistant is awful. In the summer yea I'm w you. But now? heck I wouldn't give an assistant of mine permission to talk to another school for another assistant job.

You may be right, but if this happens, I would go with an interim and then go right back to the same guy in the summer. Because if I'm an AC and my HC won't give me a chance to speak with Mississippi State about a job, I'm going to be looking for the first opportunity out of there in the summer.

Homedawg
10-20-2015, 05:04 PM
You may be right, but if this happens, I would go with an interim and then go right back to the same guy in the summer. Because if I'm an AC and my HC won't give me a chance to speak with Mississippi State about a job, I'm going to be looking for the first opportunity out of there in the summer.

I think the interim idea is a good one. Won't get anyone before signing day anyway. Losing butch will also slow the bama player freight train we had.

Todd4State
10-20-2015, 05:06 PM
The pitching coach at Dallas Baptist is my first choice.

Butch was supposed to be announced yesterday but they are still continuing the process.

MsStateBaseball
10-20-2015, 05:34 PM
All my inside info says yes he's going. This Thursday.

Cohen had put out feelers, trust me we will get a high caliber coach.

Coach34
10-20-2015, 06:04 PM
No brainer- if offered he was always going to take it

Homedawg
10-20-2015, 06:13 PM
All my inside info says yes he's going. This Thursday.

Cohen had put out feelers, trust me we will get a high caliber coach.

Your inside info is slow. Get some new ones.

CadaverDawg
10-20-2015, 06:18 PM
Kendall Rodgers says he's spoken to a few high caliber Pitching Coaches that would have interest in our job.

@KendallRogersD1: Have talked with a few elite pitching guys already who would have major interest in @HailStateBB. Wouldn't worry. https://t.co/9oWhxyjCDM

MsStateBaseball
10-20-2015, 06:37 PM
I've known for a while Homedawg.

Todd4State
10-20-2015, 06:38 PM
Kendall Rodgers says he's spoken to a few high caliber Pitching Coaches that would have interest in our job.

@KendallRogersD1: Have talked with a few elite pitching guys already who would have major interest in @HailStateBB. Wouldn't worry. https://t.co/9oWhxyjCDM

Yeah- I wouldn't worry about it.

We can't promote from within because no one on our staff has a pitching background. So, that's not an option.

If we go the interim route, whomever that is will be expected to get strong consideration for the pitching coach job, so again- not a good option unless the interim is someone really good to start with.

We can attract someone really good- and I'm not worried about Alabama recruiting. I'd rather have someone with Texas, Florida, Georgia, or California ties when it comes to pitching. Alabama is about the same as Mississippi in regards to baseball talent.

It sounds to me like Butch is Auburn's fall back plan though. Otherwise they wouldn't be interviewing or talking to "another A+ candidate" per Aaron Fitt. I think Butch has a pretty big buyout clause plus Butch was on the staff of an Auburn team that had some pretty rough records. Reading between the lines it sounds like they want to get someone else if at all possible.

Homedawg
10-20-2015, 06:43 PM
I've known for a while Homedawg.

Rigggggghhhttt. After your you wanted to see a press release to believe it..... How you have a follower is beyond me. But continue on.

Homedawg
10-20-2015, 06:45 PM

Not worried about hiring a quality coach- that will happen. But doesn't mean you get the guy you want before spring.

Homedawg
10-20-2015, 06:48 PM
Yeah- I wouldn't worry about it.

We can't promote from within because no one on our staff has a pitching background. So, that's not an option.

If we go the interim route, whomever that is will be expected to get strong consideration for the pitching coach job, so again- not a good option unless the interim is someone really good to start with.

We can attract someone really good- and I'm not worried about Alabama recruiting. I'd rather have someone with Texas, Florida, Georgia, or California ties when it comes to pitching. Alabama is about the same as Mississippi in regards to baseball talent.

It sounds to me like Butch is Auburn's fall back plan though. Otherwise they wouldn't be interviewing or talking to "another A+ candidate" per Aaron Fitt. I think Butch has a pretty big buyout clause plus Butch was on the staff of an Auburn team that had some pretty rough records. Reading between the lines it sounds like they want to get someone else if at all possible.

Butch can take this job at no cost. No buy out.

MsStateBaseball
10-20-2015, 07:04 PM
I deal with really jealous fans all the time, your just another. See my Facebook page for even better coverage of MS State Baseball.

I still don't believe anything until the parties involved says it so. Too many people believe it so but AU can change their mind anytime.

Homedawg
10-20-2015, 07:08 PM
I deal with really jealous fans all the time, your just another. See my Facebook page for even better coverage of MS State Baseball.

I still don't believe anything until the parties involved says it so. Too many people believe it so but AU can change their mind anytime.

Jealous....of you.....hahaha. Now that's funny shit. You predict so much stuff some should be right. And most is wrong. At least what u post on here. It's truly sad. Don't have to I worry about me tagging you on Twitter or wherever. I get enough comic relief here......In a rare instance, I'll actually agree w you on the butch deal isn't finalized, so anything could change, but it's close.

ShotgunDawg
10-20-2015, 07:20 PM
Wes Johnson - Pitching coach at Dallas Baptist.

DBU has had more pitchers throwing 95 mph or better than most anyone in the country over the last 3 years, including TCU. He would open up a potential pipeline to TX recruiting.

Pretty much, he's known as one the top velocity producers in country. No brainer

MsStateBaseball
10-20-2015, 07:44 PM
Johnsons resume looks good. He might have been on the Central Arkansas staff when we played them.

MsStateBaseball
10-20-2015, 07:47 PM
And BTW, November 11th is signing day so we need someone within 2 weeks.

War Machine Dawg
10-20-2015, 08:33 PM

DBU has had more pitchers throwing 95 mph or better than most anyone in the country over the last 3 years, including TCU. He would open up a potential pipeline to TX recruiting.

Pretty much, he's known as one the top velocity producers in country. No brainer

I'd kill for this guy. Power arms play, regardless of the ball.

Todd4State
10-20-2015, 09:36 PM
Butch can take this job at no cost. No buy out.

That's not to surprising. If he wants to go, it's best just to let him go.

Kentucky did something similar with Cohen when he came to us if I remember correctly.

Todd4State
10-20-2015, 09:38 PM
I'd kill for this guy. Power arms play, regardless of the ball.

The ball has changed and we are bringing in the fences in right field probably. As you know, Cohen builds his team to the conditions- and those new conditions favor power arms even more than control guys more than ever.

Todd4State
10-20-2015, 09:40 PM

I don't know what it is about Texas as a state, but they know how to throw gas.

ShotgunDawg
10-20-2015, 09:49 PM
I don't know what it is about Texas as a state, but they know how to throw gas.

Yes, and if every Mississippi kid grew up with a picture of Nolan Ryan, Roger Clemens, Kerry Wood, Josh Beckett, etc on their wall, Mississippi kids would throw harder as well. In Texas, there is a culture of throwing hard, just like in Mississippi there is a culture of playing physical in football.

That being said, DBU throws more gas than TCU, A&M, Baylor, Texas, Tech, Rice, and Houston without attracting the same level of recruits as most of those. That should tell you all you need to know about Johnson.

He comes from the Ron Wolforth, Brent Strom, Derrick Johnson coaching tree. It would be a game changer in the SEC and a no brainier.

There are lots of good YouTube videos with the mentioned pitching coaches. It's worth your time watch them. Strom is the godfather and now the Astros ML pitching coach, but he made his name by having major input in the drafting and development of most of the St Louis Cardinals pitching staff and farm system.

Todd4State
10-20-2015, 10:10 PM
Yes, and if every Mississippi kid grew up with a picture of Nolan Ryan, Roger Clemens, Kerry Wood, Josh Beckett, etc on their wall, Mississippi kids would throw harder as well. In Texas, there is a culture of throwing hard, just like in Mississippi there is a culture of playing physical in football.

That being said, DBU throws more gas than TCU, A&M, Baylor, Texas, Tech, Rice, and Houston without attracting the same level of recruits as most of those. That should tell you all you need to know about Johnson.

He comes from the Ron Wolforth, Brent Strom, Derrick Johnson coaching tree. It would be a game changer in the SEC and a no brainier.

There are lots of good YouTube videos with the mentioned pitching coaches. It's worth your time watch them. Strom is the godfather and now the Astros ML pitching coach, but he made his name by having major input in the drafting and development of most of the St Louis Cardinals pitching staff and farm system.

I've been a Derek Johnson fan for a long time.

State82
10-20-2015, 10:50 PM
The ball has changed and we are bringing in the fences in right field probably.

Yep. Fence has already been moved in right. They were extending the outfield deck/walkway to the new fence last week. Couldn't tell how much they moved the fence in but I'm guessing 10'-15' or so.

I seen it dawg
10-21-2015, 05:41 AM
The ball has changed and we are bringing in the fences in right field probably. As you know, Cohen builds his team to the conditions- and those new conditions favor power arms even more than control guys more than ever.

We've had power arms and haven't done shit with them.

CadaverDawg
10-21-2015, 08:11 AM
We've had power arms and haven't done shit with them.

Yea. Stratton, Holder and 1 month of Girodo. Lindgren & Graveman could be in that group, but Lindgren was a head case with no control for a good portion of his career. Evan Mitchell, Woodruff, Routt, were wasted power arms that somehow got over their mental issues when they left MSU and are in the minors.

I'm sure there's a list of both good and bad examples. Not sure how much of that is on Butch good or bad...but I definitely dont see him as being irreplaceable. I'd prefer him stay, but I won't lose sleep if he goes. I think we can get another Top 10 pitching coach if he leaves...and I would say Butch is in the Top 10. Not number 1 or anything, but very good. The new seams + bad results last year has me wondering how he will adjust. But he's been around a while so I'm sure he will. I still see him as being a pitching coach, not a head coach. We'll see.

If he can have the same success with the Auburn staff, while not playing small ball and limiting his offense since Cohen won't be with him...he might surpass us one day, who knows. May even do it with the guys we would normally get from Alabama. I wouldn't mind him leaving nearly as much if he wasn't going to be so close. Recruiting and stuff.

I seen it dawg
10-21-2015, 08:14 AM
He is going to have to develop players. And get players that can play right away which we haven't done a whole lot of. Will see if he can do that.

CadaverDawg
10-21-2015, 08:19 AM
He is going to have to develop players. And get players that can play right away which we haven't done a whole lot of. Will see if he can do that.

Yep. Does he have the exact scholarship situation in Alabama as we have here? Or will his scholarship situation be better one state over? I don't keep up with that shit, just wondering if it's better or the same.

BB30
10-21-2015, 08:23 AM
Ill take a Lefty that is 87-89 and spots 3 pitches up any day over a guy pumping mid upper that cant find the zone. Walks kill.

Homedawg
10-21-2015, 08:25 AM
Yep. Does he have the exact scholarship situation in Alabama as we have here? Or will his scholarship situation be better one state over? I don't keep up with that shit, just wondering if it's better or the same.

Pretty much the same. No lottery.

Political Hack
10-21-2015, 09:01 AM
Ill take a Lefty that is 87-89 and spots 3 pitches up any day over a guy pumping mid upper that cant find the zone. Walks kill.

That's a no brainer, but you need power arms too.

I seen it dawg
10-21-2015, 09:53 AM

Innovative

ShotgunDawg
10-21-2015, 10:03 AM

And I'll take the mid-upper 90s guy that throws strikes, with one off speed pitch, over your upper 80s lefty every day.

smootness
10-21-2015, 10:09 AM
Yea. Stratton, Holder and 1 month of Girodo. Lindgren & Graveman could be in that group, but Lindgren was a head case with no control for a good portion of his career. Evan Mitchell, Woodruff, Routt, were wasted power arms that somehow got over their mental issues when they left MSU and are in the minors.

I'm sure there's a list of both good and bad examples. Not sure how much of that is on Butch good or bad...but I definitely dont see him as being irreplaceable. I'd prefer him stay, but I won't lose sleep if he goes. I think we can get another Top 10 pitching coach if he leaves...and I would say Butch is in the Top 10. Not number 1 or anything, but very good. The new seams + bad results last year has me wondering how he will adjust. But he's been around a while so I'm sure he will. I still see him as being a pitching coach, not a head coach. We'll see.

If he can have the same success with the Auburn staff, while not playing small ball and limiting his offense since Cohen won't be with him...he might surpass us one day, who knows. May even do it with the guys we would normally get from Alabama. I wouldn't mind him leaving nearly as much if he wasn't going to be so close. Recruiting and stuff.

I agree with some of what you said, but Woodruff, Routt, and Mitchell aren't exactly pitching phenomenally well. It took Routt 4 years to get out of rookie ball, and he was mediocre in A ball at 22 and in A+ at 23. Woodruff's numbers were decent last year, but he struck out only 71 in over 109 IP while giving up more than 1 hit/inning. He's still not pitching up to his real talent level. Evan Mitchell put up rough numbers (not a terrible ERA, but all his peripherals look really bad) in A+ at 23 after struggling in A ball at 22. None of those guys are success stories, and still none of them are pitching to their talent level.

CadaverDawg
10-21-2015, 10:19 AM
I agree with some of what you said, but Woodruff, Routt, and Mitchell aren't exactly pitching phenomenally well. It took Routt 4 years to get out of rookie ball, and he was mediocre in A ball at 22 and in A+ at 23. Woodruff's numbers were decent last year, but he struck out only 71 in over 109 IP while giving up more than 1 hit/inning. He's still not pitching up to his real talent level. Evan Mitchell put up rough numbers (not a terrible ERA, but all his peripherals look really bad) in A+ at 23 after struggling in A ball at 22. None of those guys are success stories, and still none of them are pitching to their talent level.

True and I agree. I was referring more to them not being able to throw a single strike in most outings. They definitely never panned out as Stars, but at least they are throwing pitches near the strike zone these days. I think I remember outings by especially Mitchell and Woodruff where they walked like the first 5 batters and then got pulled. And all on like 4-5 pitches. Just total head case stuff. I'm sure that happens to other programs too, but it seems like every single year we have 1-2 guys that throw gas, were pretty highly recruited, and could help us a ton...but are total head cases and can't throw a strike. I find that interesting, Bc most of them pitch great in the Cape, but get back here and can't throw a strike. Not blaming it on Butch, but I'd love to know what those guys would tell you the reason was. Probably just that there's more pressure in SEC ball than summer ball.

MsStateBaseball
10-21-2015, 11:06 AM
Butch changed the arm slot, etc of several guys in order to make them better. Some took more time than others to adjust. Woody is a good example. This years class have more "pure" pitchers than other classes.

BB30
10-21-2015, 02:31 PM
And I'll take the mid-upper 90s guy that throws strikes, with one off speed pitch, over your upper 80s lefty every day.

How many mid upper 90s guys like that make it to college. If your getting a guy like that in college he either is a late bloomer or struggles with virtually every aspect of pitching outside of throwing hard. You don't have to have velocity to be successful is all I am saying. The average fastball in the MLB is usually between 90-92 mph every year. If that can get it done in the big leagues surely it can at the college level. And a flat 95 gets hammered.