PDA

View Full Version : College Football and the CFP....

CadaverDawg
10-20-2015, 02:17 PM
I've been watching and listening to the different sports shows, and each one has their own "experts" that pick both their own CFP projection if it started today, as well as what they think the Selection Committee will do.

That being said, I feel like there is a major problem with this CFP system, and it's that each person involved feels like they need to "represent" their region or conference in this Playoff vote. That is NOT what the committee is there for. They are supposed to put the best 4 teams in the playoff regardless of conference or region of the country.

This has nothing to do with the SEC vs anybody, or anything like that. In fact, we may end up wishing Archie was back if the SEC is left out this year....this is just about right and wrong, and the fact that I don't want the CFP to turn in to politics like everything else has in this country. College Football is supposed to be pure (I know, recruiting has/is ruining the purity), and it is supposed to be a break from the politics of the world. We don't need Mike Belotti putting Utah #1 because he was a PAC12 coach, and Kannell putting Clemson or FSU #1 because he was an ACC QB, or Herbstreit beating his OSU drum bc he was a Big12 and OSU guy, or even SECN guys always putting 2 teams in the playoffs from the SEC even when we don't deserve 2. WHy can't everybody just quit politicking, and just put the best 4 teams in the playoff? It ruins all of the debate and tv/radio shows that I typically enjoy surrounding the sport I love, when all anyone does is champion their side instead of giving real opinions based on the results and eye test.

But I guess it is very hard to remove bias, even for the "experts". Just wanted to throw it out there because it's something that ruins the CFP and debate on the CFP for me. Any thoughts?

BulldogBear
10-20-2015, 02:20 PM
I've been watching and listening to the different sports shows, and each one has their own "experts" that pick both their own CFP projection if it started today, as well as what they think the Selection Committee will do.

That being said, I feel like there is a major problem with this CFP system, and it's that each person involved feels like they need to "represent" their region or conference in this Playoff vote. That is NOT what the committee is there for. They are supposed to put the best 4 teams in the playoff regardless of conference or region of the country.

This has nothing to do with the SEC vs anybody, or anything like that. In fact, we may end up wishing Archie was back if the SEC is left out this year....this is just about right and wrong, and the fact that I don't want the CFP to turn in to politics like everything else has in this country. College Football is supposed to be pure (I know, recruiting has/is ruining the purity), and it is supposed to be a break from the politics of the world. We don't need Mike Belotti putting Utah #1 because he was a PAC12 coach, and Kannell putting Clemson or FSU #1 because he was an ACC QB, or Herbstreit beating his OSU drum bc he was a Big12 and OSU guy, or even SECN guys always putting 2 teams in the playoffs from the SEC even when we don't deserve 2. WHy can't everybody just quit politicking, and just put the best 4 teams in the playoff? It ruins all of the debate and tv/radio shows that I typically enjoy surrounding the sport I love, when all anyone does is champion their side instead of giving real opinions based on the results and eye test.

But I guess it is very hard to remove bias, even for the "experts"

I feel you on all this. Sometimes it's borderline nauseating. One good thing though. If they are going to "politik," that may help the SEC actually. Do TV folks really want to leave out the most rabid fanbase in the country?

FISHDAWG
10-20-2015, 02:21 PM
I know removing bias would be impossible for me

CadaverDawg
10-20-2015, 02:22 PM
I know removing bias would be impossible for me

True, but if I paid you $250,000 next year, I bet you could do it. Ha, I know I could

Statecoachingblows**
10-20-2015, 02:26 PM
I don't understand why there had to be a human element to it at all. By nature humans aren't going to be unbiased. Why couldn't they just use the BCS system, or something comparable, and put the top 4 teams in? I'm sure there's more to it than that but I don't know why it has to be. Remove as much human element as possible.

Jack Lambert
10-20-2015, 02:29 PM
1.If the big 10 or SEC got left out of the play off you will see the playoff go to six or eight teams the next year.

2.If the Big 12 gets two teams in, you will see the playoff go to six or eight teams the next year.

3.If the PAC 12, ACC or Big 12 gets left out the playoffs will stay at four teams

4. If the Big 12 gets left out you will see them add two teams and go to a play off game.

I don't want to hear about this contract crap with the TV's and Bowl games. That can be fixed. You are talking about major more money for the TV's and bowls. They would be on board for the expansion plus all the NCAA has to say is "boys if you don't play now, when the contracts are up you are going to be ****ed the on the next contract"

I also don't want to hear about teams having to play 16 games. That could be fix real easy by going to 11 game seasons.

CadaverDawg
10-20-2015, 02:34 PM
I don't understand why there had to be a human element to it at all. By nature humans aren't going to be unbiased. Why couldn't they just use the BCS system, or something comparable, and put the top 4 teams in? I'm sure there's more to it than that but I don't know why it has to be. Remove as much human element as possible.

I agree. This is what I really wanted to happen. Not sure why they had to go the human route. People hated the BCS, but it always seemed to work pretty well despite all the bitching. In my opinion, it would leave us a much more accurate group of 4 than the humans will over the long term. Too much BS about "last year", and how big your name is, etc... Every year should be a fresh year based on fresh results, with nothing from the past or history coming into play....and like you said, humans may not even be capable of doing that. Whether they know it or not.

gravedigger
10-20-2015, 02:38 PM

Ive been saying this for years but the abject bitching the media does and the subsequent pouting fans who still dont unnerstand 'puters -n- such make it impossible.

HoopsDawg
10-20-2015, 02:41 PM
All of the discussion is meaningless until the season is over. But for fun...

The top 4 on merit should be:

1. Utah: Based on wins over Michigan, @Oregon blowout, Cal, and ASU
2. LSU: Quality Road win at Miss State, and wins over UF and AU
3. TCU: Blowout over Texas, decent wins vs Texas Tech, Minnesota, and KSU
4. Michigan State: Wins over Oregon and @ michigan

But here are my projections:
1. Ohio State
2. Alabama
3. Baylor
4. Clemson

None are in my top 4 right now.

sandwolf
10-20-2015, 02:45 PM

I never understood why they didn't do this.

BrunswickDawg
10-20-2015, 03:17 PM
Nope, those don't take out bias either because it is based upon what humans think is important statistically. The way to fix it is to go to a true playoff of conference champions and screw the bowls - which won't happen. I'd love to see it though.

DownwardDawg
10-20-2015, 03:23 PM

When I found out it was going to be a committee, I was very disappointed.

DancingRabbit
10-20-2015, 03:37 PM
Nope, those don't take out bias either because it is based upon what humans think is important statistically. The way to fix it is to go to a true playoff of conference champions and screw the bowls - which won't happen. I'd love to see it though.

This part of what I would do. Go to 8 teams - 5 conference champs plus 3 at large. I would be fine with using the BCS formula to select the at large teams and determine the play-off seeding but I'm sure the committee is here to stay.

CadaverDawg
10-20-2015, 04:12 PM
This part of what I would do. Go to 8 teams - 5 conference champs plus 3 at large. I would be fine with using the BCS formula to select the at large teams and determine the play-off seeding but I'm sure the committee is here to stay.

The reason I freaking Hate the Conference Champ thing, is because there has been extremely shitty conferences with a 6-6 or 7-5 champ in some years. Those conferences don't deserve an auto bid. Plus, what happens if 3 of the best 8 teams are in the SEC or Big12 one year, or something. Everyone wants to see the best 4 or 8 teams. Not to mention you'd have to play everyone in your conference to make the schedules fair.

I think the BCS should pick the Top 8 teams, and those 8 make the playoffs. If it's expanded to 8, nobody can legitimately say they didn't get the best teams...because rarely if ever does #9 have a legit complaint as being the best in the country. 8 would be plenty, no human element, game on.

That's my opinion anyway

DawgPoundtheRock
10-20-2015, 04:39 PM
The reason I freaking Hate the Conference Champ thing, is because there has been extremely shitty conferences with a 6-6 or 7-5 champ in some years. Those conferences don't deserve an auto bid. Plus, what happens if 3 of the best 8 teams are in the SEC or Big12 one year, or something. Everyone wants to see the best 4 or 8 teams. Not to mention you'd have to play everyone in your conference to make the schedules fair.

I think the BCS should pick the Top 8 teams, and those 8 make the playoffs. If it's expanded to 8, nobody can legitimately say they didn't get the best teams...because rarely if ever does #9 have a legit complaint as being the best in the country. 8 would be plenty, no human element, game on.

That's my opinion anyway

If the playoff system went to 8 teams, the chances of getting the best 4 teams in the country would go up dramatically regardless of the selection format. That being said, i agree that using the BCS format would be the way to go.

HSVDawg
10-20-2015, 05:37 PM
I think it's too early to say whether or not regional bias is a concern. Most people seemed to think the commitee did a good job of getting the best 4 teams last year. The one big question mark was Ohio State and they turned around and won it.

As far as the SEC is concerned, right now we have no room to complain. At this time I don't think any SEC team can legitimately be considered a Top 5 team. Pretty much every SEC team has at least one glaring flaw and has had it displayed for the masses to see. And there is only one team left undefeated. LSU is the only serious contender of the bunch, and they are pretty much just a one man team.

DownwardDawg
10-20-2015, 05:46 PM
If the playoff system went to 8 teams, the chances of getting the best 4 teams in the country would go up dramatically regardless of the selection format. That being said, i agree that using the BCS format would be the way to go.

I've wanted it to be 8 teams years bofore they were even considering a playoff. 4 teams is stupid and you get what we have now....conference champs. I believe 8 is the perfect number, and you wouldn't need a committee to pick the teams. Use something like the BCS formula.

sleepy dawg
10-20-2015, 06:46 PM
Ive been saying this for years but the abject bitching the media does and the subsequent pouting fans who still dont unnerstand 'puters -n- such make it impossible.

ditto... To add, I would make the formula publicly known so there can be no confusion. Everyone would know what they have to do, and why they got left out if they didn't make it.