PDA

View Full Version : De'Ron Davis - Down to State and Indiana

Big4Dawg
10-20-2015, 12:14 PM
http://www.insidethehall.com/2015/10/20/deron-davis-cuts-arizona-has-final-two-of-iu-and-mississippi-state/

http://247sports.com/Player/DeRon-Davis-22583

I knew Howland was going to be good and turn us around, but never did I think he was going to be this good and turn us around this fast.

I did the class caluator with:
Mario Kegler
De'Ron Davis
Schnider Herard
Tyson Carter
Lamar Peters
Abdul Ado
Eli Wright

Would give us 49.95 points, which have been good for the #10 last year.

Thick
10-20-2015, 01:09 PM
100% cb'd to Indiana. I guess because they have recruited him for a while plus he's visited too. He visits us 11/5-11/7, but it's probably a little too late. Ifyouonlyknew.....thoughts?

Big4Dawg
10-20-2015, 01:15 PM
He's friends with Kegler and Peters, and his visit is right before the early signing period.

C222
10-20-2015, 01:25 PM
100% cb'd to Indiana. I guess because they have recruited him for a while plus he's visited too. He visits us 11/5-11/7, but it's probably a little too late. Ifyouonlyknew.....thoughts?

Indiana has been on him a while. We got in kinda of late. That's just a guess as to why it's 100%.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-20-2015, 01:27 PM
It's going to all come down to his visit. He's comfortable & sold on Howland. That's how we've gotten in his final 2 after basically only 3 months. We have to sell him on MSU, Starkville, & the education on his visit. If he has a good visit I expect him to be at MSU.

Thick
10-20-2015, 01:42 PM
Damn, I'm surprised by that response. If this happens, I will simply be speechless. I'm still shocked at what Howland has accomplished to this point.

blacklistedbully
10-20-2015, 01:44 PM
Damn, Howland! Keep this up and we're gonna start challenging UK for SEC supremacy some day.

We already know the man can coach, and I truly believe him when he says he's going to be an even better coach than before. If he can consistently pull in talent the likes of which are showing interest now, we could truly become a basketball power. Coach Cal & UK may soon not enjoy the monopoly they now seem to have.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-20-2015, 01:49 PM
I'm not saying it's a done deal by any means but anybody that doesn't think we have a legit, good shot at Davis is just being naive. Howland has got him on campus now it's time for the campus to sell itself.

defiantdog
10-20-2015, 01:50 PM
Davis might be thinking about early playing time. Thomas Bryant will probably be a one and done for them, but I could see Juwan Morgan hanging around. Howland will find every reason for Davis to deter from Indiana. This could get interesting.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
10-20-2015, 02:39 PM
any truth to what the indiana commenters said in the top article about Davis having a tie to one of our coaches?

Bloomington has historically been named one of the most beautiful campuses in the country, & has a booming student population. I feel a little better considering he wasn't blown away enough to commit on his visit. If it comes down to campus life, hopefully Howland can sell him on minimal distractions, big fish/small pond, and more modern facilities. Being from a large suburb of Denver, he could either embrace the small town college life of Starkville as a new experience & an opportunity to focus on his game, or be repelled by a rural area with no mall and an inconsistent-at-best night life, depending on his personal preferences.

The fact that he cut Arizona after they signed a big shows that he's definitely weighing playing time as a large factor. IDK if IU is actually in the Thon Maker race but if they somehow got him I think Davis would be ours by default.

And hopefully he's a bigger Russell Westbrook/ Kevin Love fan than a Dwayne Wade/ Steve Novak fan.

defiantdog
10-20-2015, 02:46 PM
any truth to what the indiana commenters said in the top article about Davis having a tie to one of our coaches?

Bloomington has historically been named one of the most beautiful campuses in the country, & has a booming student population. I feel a little better considering he wasn't blown away enough to commit on his visit. If it comes down to campus life, hopefully Howland can sell him on minimal distractions, big fish/small pond, and more modern facilities. Being from a large suburb of Denver, he could either embrace the small town college life of Starkville as a new experience & an opportunity to focus on his game, or be repelled by a rural area with no mall and an inconsistent-at-best night life, depending on his personal preferences.

The fact that he cut Arizona after they signed a big shows that he's definitely weighing playing time as a large factor. IDK if IU is actually in the Thon Maker race but if they somehow got him I think Davis would be ours by default.

And hopefully he's a bigger Russell Westbrook/ Kevin Love fan than a Dwayne Wade/ Steve Novak fan.

We could offer immediate playing time before Indiana

Ifyouonlyknew
10-20-2015, 02:47 PM
Haven't heard about him having ties to a coach here but it's possible.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-20-2015, 02:52 PM
Haven't heard about him having ties to a coach here but it's possible.

how many are we taking this class?

Ifyouonlyknew
10-20-2015, 03:00 PM
how many are we taking this class?

If we could sweep the board 8 but we're hoping to get at least the top 7 guys.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-20-2015, 03:42 PM

oh ok I don't know why I was thinking 6...Who is Darrlyn Willis? Are we going after him or is he a backup plan. I just noticed him on there.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-20-2015, 03:52 PM

I am not following the comparison here...UCLA and Marquette?

defiantdog
10-20-2015, 03:55 PM
I am not following the comparison here...UCLA and Marquette?

Crean used to coach at Marquette

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-20-2015, 03:56 PM
gotcha..that's right...Ima dumbass...

smootness
10-20-2015, 03:57 PM
If Howland pulls Davis, we're winning the SEC soon...not because of Davis specifically but because of what that would represent.

If we actually pulled in a class of Kegler, Herard, Davis, Carter, Peters, Ado, and Wright, that 2016-2017 team would be loaded.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-20-2015, 03:58 PM
If Howland pulls Davis, we're winning the SEC soon...not because of Davis specifically but because of what that would represent.

If we actually pulled in a class of Kegler, Herard, Davis, Carter, Peters, Ado, and Wright, that 2016-2017 team would be loaded.

Yep it would definitely signal a rise coming out of Starkville.

smootness
10-20-2015, 04:02 PM
Can you imagine a rotation of:

Ready/Peters
Weatherspoon/Wright/Carter
Kegler/Stapleton
Holman/Davis
Herard/Ado/Ndoye

That would be so much fun to watch.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-20-2015, 04:04 PM
Holy crap! That would be a SERIOUS team.

smootness
10-20-2015, 04:13 PM
Holy crap! That would be a SERIOUS team.

It would be strange from a State team just because of the amount of youth playing. Basically everyone outside of Ready would be in their first or second year of actually playing at the college level.

Still, that level of talent would be crazy. I would expect a Tournament berth in 2016-2017 with a chance to gel quickly and make a run, then set our sights on truly competing in 2017-2018 and 2018-2019. We could potentially see 3 guys off next year's team leave early, along with losing Ready, but the talent and experience left should still be really, really good. Probably something like:

Peters/N.Weatherspoon
Wright/Carter
Q.Weatherspoon/Stapleton
Davis/Brooks
Ado/Ndoye

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-20-2015, 04:33 PM
Right..and no telling else Howland will bring in between now and then..

smootness
10-20-2015, 04:36 PM
Right..and no telling else Howland will bring in between now and then..

I think, as ifyouonlyknew has said, that next year will be a smaller class. We'll lose Ready, and will probably lose a couple more early to the NBA, but that will only leave about 3 open scholarships, and Nick Weatherspoon and Garrison Brooks are almost certainties to be in the class. So we will have one more spot, possibly two. Of course, it will still be a good class. 2018 should be another really big, really good class.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-20-2015, 05:25 PM
http://www.insidethehall.com/2015/10/20/deron-davis-cuts-arizona-has-final-two-of-iu-and-mississippi-state/.

C222
10-20-2015, 06:40 PM
Did Davis commit? Check Twitter - @DDavis2016

civildawg
10-20-2015, 06:52 PM
Wow, I believe he did. Says he's a dog on Twitter

Thick
10-20-2015, 07:09 PM
Just read it on Twitter too. Need confirmation.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-20-2015, 07:16 PM
Could be wrong but I don't think he's meaning a MSU dawg.

C222
10-20-2015, 07:35 PM

I think you're right.

Dawg61
10-20-2015, 09:08 PM

If we sign 8 two already on the roster have to be moved out. Who are the two going to be?

Dawg61
10-20-2015, 09:16 PM
Lol Crean has better NBA players than Steve Novak. Zeller, Crowder, Oladipo, Vonleh off the top of my head but your point is valid. Howland will shit on 99% of the coaches when it comes to players in the NBA he's coached. Maybe only Calipari has more. Coach K has more I'm sure and probably Roy Williams and Bill Self but there can't be many more. Three are out of college coaching now. Donovan, Calhoun and Boeheim.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-21-2015, 08:56 AM

I agree but I bet IU fans are sweating reading that..HA