PDA

View Full Version : Front seven

messageboardsuperhero
07-26-2013, 12:25 PM
It's crazy to think about how much faster our defensive front will be this year compared to last year. Replacing Josh Boyd (He is a good lineman, but he had no help and athleticism is not his strong suit.) and Cherrington with PJ Jones and Eulls and putting Preston Smith on the outside will make us so much more athletic. Then moving Skinner to the strong side to stop the run and using Wells as a hybrid saftey/linebacker on the weak side should help us tremendously against spread teams.

We should put up a much better fight defensively against A&M; UM; Troy; etc. than we did last year, and I'm really excited to see how we perform against OSU. They'll move the ball and score some points, but I'm feeling much more comfortable going into that game since I read Beastman's article about how half of our defense was out of position last year.

We should see much more speed on defense than last year, particularly in the front seven.

Political Hack
07-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Quay Evans at the 3 can track down most SEC RBs from sideline to sideline. If he gets in shape, he can be the most dominant thing college football has seen since Warran Sap. And yes, I really do think he's got the same type of ceiling. Nick James at the 0 on the other hand is unmovable. No one or no two people will push him around. Our LBs are going to run free this year, for the first time in years. It's going to be a lot... A LOT... of fun to watch this defense work up front. As I've said though, it all hangs on how well the DTs play though. I love PJ and Eulls, but if they're playing more than 50% of the snaps we're not realizing our potential up front.

MSUDawg4Life
07-26-2013, 12:47 PM
What I like most is the depth. When I look at the DTs, DEs and LBs, we should be able to play a lot of guys with very little drop-off in talent, if any. In many cases, the backups are more talented, just less experienced. It's going to fun to watch them play this year.

HancockCountyDog
07-26-2013, 12:54 PM
Quay Evans at the 3 can track down most SEC RBs from sideline to sideline. If he gets in shape, he can be the most dominant thing college football has seen since Warran Sap. And yes, I really do think he's got the same type of ceiling. Nick James at the 0 on the other hand is unmovable. No one or no two people will push him around. Our LBs are going to run free this year, for the first time in years. It's going to be a lot... A LOT... of fun to watch this defense work up front. As I've said though, it all hangs on how well the DTs play though. I love PJ and Eulls, but if they're playing more than 50% of the snaps we're not realizing our potential up front.

Nice to be talking football. Has anyone seen Quay? Is he in shape, its amazing how much he hasn't been talked about so far this off season, I can't decide if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

If James and Quay live up to their potential, there is no reason our defense can't be a top 5 SEC defense.

Political Hack
07-26-2013, 12:57 PM
If they live up to their full potential, there's no reason we can't be #3... maybe #4 depending on how well South Carolina does defensively.

hailmari
07-26-2013, 01:10 PM
Quay looked slim (for a DT) last I saw. I think he had an ankle issue in the spring and wasn't able to be going full speed. He should be good now. As far as Nick goes, he was apparently having a lot of fun out on the practice fields and was really into it. I expect him to make an impact this year.

Coach 57
07-26-2013, 01:16 PM

I agree but also disagree. I think you are right about Quay but wrong about PJ. This kid is showing some "thangs"!

Political Hack
07-26-2013, 01:26 PM
I'm not saying that PJ doesn't need to play a lot... I'm just saying that I hope we're at least 4 deep and truly able to rotate all of them and keep them fresh.

Homedawg
07-26-2013, 01:47 PM
It's crazy to think about how much faster our defensive front will be this year compared to last year. Replacing Josh Boyd (He is a good lineman, but he had no help and athleticism is not his strong suit.) and Cherrington with PJ Jones and Eulls and putting Preston Smith on the outside will make us so much more athletic. Then moving Skinner to the strong side to stop the run and using Wells as a hybrid saftey/linebacker on the weak side should help us tremendously against spread teams.

We should put up a much better fight defensively against A&M; UM; Troy; etc. than we did last year, and I'm really excited to see how we perform against OSU. They'll move the ball and score some points, but I'm feeling much more comfortable going into that game since I read Beastman's article about how half of our defense was out of position last year.

We should see much more speed on defense than last year, particularly in the front seven.

I dont know where the skinner to Sam came from, but he is staying at will. Wells and Jackson are the sams. Think about it, the reason they are at Sam is if they flex out the TE we have a cover guy if in man.

MSUDawg4Life
07-26-2013, 01:54 PM
I'm not saying that PJ doesn't need to play a lot... I'm just saying that I hope we're at least 4 deep and truly able to rotate all of them and keep them fresh.

Agreed. I think we can comfortably rotate at least five guys at DT and DE. Seven guys at LB.

I used to love to see Joe Lee Dunn take out the entire first string DL and replace them with the second string DL. Which is cool when your second string is Willie Blade, Toby Golliday and crew. We may be approaching that level of talent with this group.

Political Hack
07-26-2013, 02:05 PM
I dont know where the skinner to Sam came from, but he is staying at will. Wells and Jackson are the sams. Think about it, the reason they are at Sam is if they flex out the TE we have a cover guy if in man.

who covers the RB coming out the other side in the flats? If possible, I'd prefer to see Skinner over the TE (unless it's a pure receiving TE) and Wells on the RBs. No way in hell Skinner can cover Jeremy Hill on a wheel route. I realize you can put the mike on him, but it depends on scheme. I just hope we aren't going side to side with sam and will each week rather than playing to the match ups.

Homedawg
07-26-2013, 02:11 PM
who covers the RB coming out the other side in the flats? If possible, I'd prefer to see Skinner over the TE (unless it's a pure receiving TE) and Wells on the RBs. No way in hell Skinner can cover Jeremy Hill on a wheel route. I realize you can put the mike on him, but it depends on scheme. I just hope we aren't going side to side with sam and will each week rather than playing to the match ups.

I realize there are different things we can do w the scheme as far as mixing it up. But wells is the Sam. Skinner is the will.

Political Hack
07-26-2013, 02:32 PM
I realize there are different things we can do w the scheme as far as mixing it up. But wells is the Sam. Skinner is the will.

oh yeah, I gotcha... just trying to say that it's interchangeable depending on the week's matchups. Either way, I think it's going to be fun to watch. Last year was torture watching the D.

mic
07-26-2013, 03:13 PM
The most exciting thing about the front 7 and our defense this year will be when the "next " front 7 comes in the game there is little if any fall off...

Coach34
07-26-2013, 03:14 PM

Jesus- not this shit again

Skinner is going to play the "Sam" in a 4-3 according to most of the free world's terminology. He will be in the box most of the time with McKinney- and that is where the Sam and Mike play.

Wells will play the "Will" according to most of the free world's terminology. The Will LB plays opposite the strong side and away from the TE. He will always go the 2 WR side/weak side of the offensive formation- and play the inside WR/TE/RB- whomever is lined up as the inside guy.

Bottom line- Skinner will do less covering and be more worried about the run- spending alot more time inside the box. Wells will play what Skinner played last year and spend more time covering slot guys vs Spread teams.

Homedawg
07-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Jesus- not this shit again

Skinner is going to play the "Sam" in a 4-3 according to most of the free world's terminology. He will be in the box most of the time with McKinney- and that is where the Sam and Mike play.

Wells will play the "Will" according to most of the free world's terminology. The Will LB plays opposite the strong side and away from the TE. He will always go the 2 WR side/weak side of the offensive formation- and play the inside WR/TE/RB- whomever is lined up as the inside guy.

Bottom line- Skinner will do less covering and be more worried about the run- spending alot more time inside the box. Wells will play what Skinner played last year and spend more time covering slot guys vs Spread teams.

You would b wrong according to our defensive coordinator but u can take it up with him.
Eta, well at least partially wrong. Your second paragraph. Wells will be on the Te side. or whichever side is called strong.

Political Hack
07-26-2013, 03:31 PM
Wells is being groomed to cover those hybrid type TEs, but that's because they're a receiving threat. The NFL's new trend is to start looking for LBs that play like safeties. They need a hybrid S/LB type to cover the hybrid TE/WR types. Wells fits that billing and will probably be a mid round draft pick because of it... and I'm willing to bet he gets targeted in the middle to late rounds by the NE Patriots specifically for this.

Goat Holder
07-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Agreed. People are going to be surprised at how well we bust up spread offenses this year. Much more like 2010 than 2012.

Coach34
07-26-2013, 03:42 PM
You would b wrong according to our defensive coordinator but u can take it up with him.
Eta, well at least partially wrong. Your second paragraph. Wells will be on the Te side. or whichever side is called strong.

When the TE has his hand on the ground- and there are 2 WR's to the open side of the formation- Skinner will be to the TE side

We are not putting a 190 LB Matt Wells in the box and putting Skinner out to cover a Slot WR at 240 pounds. Now there might be a time when Wells is to the TE side- but that is usually when there are 4 WR's- and the TE is one of them flexed out.

Coach34
07-26-2013, 03:46 PM
To make this easier- anytime we have a 4-2 look in the Box- it will be Skinner and McKinney. It dont make a shit what they are called (altho most people that coach defense call them the Mike and the Sam)

Your Will LB is a hybrid LB/SS type used for coverage as well as playing the run. He is always the first to bump out to cover an extra WR/TE/RB in the formation

Thick
07-26-2013, 04:00 PM
Mike = Middle
Sam = Strong
Will = Weak

Just a guide for some of you that don't understand the terminology. The Will can play the strong side if it's an overload (3 wr's) away from the TE. Majority of the time, your Will is a hybrid that is a dual position safety/LB that can cover the quicker/faster backs/slots. Sam is usually your run support and cover LB with a traditional TE.

Coach34
07-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Mike = Middle
Sam = Strong
Will = Weak

Just a guide for some of you that don't understand the terminology. The Will can play the strong side if it's an overload (3 wr's) away from the TE. Majority of the time, your Will is a hybrid that is a dual position safety/LB that can cover the quicker/faster backs/slots. Sam is usually your run support and cover LB with a traditional TE.

Sam is the one that meets that ****ing fullback up in the hole on a lead play isnt it Thick???

Political Hack
07-26-2013, 05:24 PM
did Jackie ever have a FB that wasn't damn good?

Thick
07-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Sometimes it's the Mike, but off tackle all day long. It really depends upon the athleticism of your Mike backer. When I played, James Williams, Dwayne King, and the youngster, Juan Long were very capable of covering guard center and guard tackle gaps.

That crew was very physical and pretty damn fast for Mike backers in the late 80's!

MSUDawg4Life
07-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Sometimes it's the Mike, but off tackle all day long. It really depends upon the athleticism of your Mike backer. When I played, James Williams, Dwayne King, and the youngster, Juan Long were very capable of covering guard center and guard tackle gaps.

That crew was very physical and pretty damn fast for Mike backers in the late 80's!

Well, of course.

J-Boy and Juan Long weren't typical linebackers though.

Thick
07-26-2013, 06:26 PM
I'm not so sure that what we currently have is not just as athletic.

engie
07-26-2013, 08:08 PM
I'm not so sure that what we currently have is not just as athletic.

This is about as wool-worthy as it gets...

messageboardsuperhero
07-27-2013, 12:35 AM

Whatever you want your two outside linebackers to be called, the point remains that Wells will usually be responsible for covering the slot/tight end, while Skinner's main focus will be to stay in the box and play the run. This will be an improvement over last year because Wilson had Skinner trying to play in space with the speed guys in the slot, and it was an absolute train-wreck. I guess I see where he was coming from considering Skinner was more athletic than Lawrence, and Wilson wanted his three best/most experienced guys out there.

Regardless, we have much more speed on the defensive front by replacing Boyd, Cherrington, and Eulls (DE), with Jones, Eulls (DT), and P. Smith. Then you replace Lawrence with Wells, so now you can put Wells out in space to use his speed while Skinner moves to where he can use his physicality. And that's without even talking about all the talented options we have on the bench.

It'll be nice having an athletic and versatile defense again.

Todd4State
07-27-2013, 01:50 AM
Whatever you want your two outside linebackers to be called, the point remains that Wells will usually be responsible for covering the slot/tight end, while Skinner's main focus will be to stay in the box and play the run. This will be an improvement over last year because Wilson had Skinner trying to play in space with the speed guys in the slot, and it was an absolute train-wreck. I guess I see where he was coming from considering Skinner was more athletic than Lawrence, and Wilson wanted his three best/most experienced guys out there.

Regardless, we have much more speed on the defensive front by replacing Boyd, Cherrington, and Eulls (DE), with Jones, Eulls (DT), and P. Smith. Then you replace Lawrence with Wells, so now you can put Wells out in space to use his speed while Skinner moves to where he can use his physicality. And that's without even talking about all the talented options we have on the bench.

Exactly. I didn't understand why we didn't have Cam at the Mike- it looked like he was making a lot of the calls anyway from the stands, Wells at the SAM, and Skinner/McKinney at the WILL spot. We should have maybe let Skinner play DE and then we could have moved Eulls on the inside next to Boyd. We could have rotated McKinney in at the Mike spot as well some and maybe even used a few 3-4 looks with Skinner at LOLB, McKinney at LILB, Cam at RILB, and Wells at ROLB.

Looking back on it, our personnel groupings were all jacked up and we also grossly underutilized the talent that we had.

Thick
07-27-2013, 07:36 AM
You mention the 3-4, and that look can only be utilized if you have a nasty ****ing ng and big, athletic and fast de's to go along with some bad ass LB's. We very well could run that scheme at times, because in my opinion, we have that kind of talent with a select few in our talent pool at the dl position.

Political Hack
07-27-2013, 08:58 AM
Nick James is the only player we have that can play the 0 in a 3-4, IMO.

Skinner is a north/south guy. He just doesn't have the hips to cover in space. It's a shame because he brings the thunder and that's his only weakness as far as I can tell.

Coach34
07-27-2013, 09:14 AM
We can run a 3-4 some this year if Nick James decides he wants to be a bad mf'er. But he would be the crucial part if being able to do that. We'll have to see if he is ready for that challenge

Drugdog
07-27-2013, 09:53 AM
That's about the Best Damn breaking down of our defense ever.
Great job guys. Damn good.

Bo Darville
07-27-2013, 03:13 PM
To make this easier- anytime we have a 4-2 look in the Box- it will be Skinner and McKinney. It dont make a shit what they are called (altho most people that coach defense call them the Mike and the Sam)

I think this is the bottom line. We will often have that 4-2 look in the box. I can't see Wells being one of the two linebackers in the box while Skinner is outside chasing around some little slot wideout. Maybe Wells could be in the box on an obvious passing down where we had a 4-2 look and Skinner was on the sidelines with a nickleback taking his place. But Wells in the box while Skinner is out in the slot is very doubtful.

HancockCountyDog
07-27-2013, 04:57 PM
I think this is the bottom line. We will often have that 4-2 look in the box. I can't see Wells being one of the two linebackers in the box while Skinner is outside chasing around some little slot wideout. Maybe Wells could be in the box on an obvious passing down where we had a 4-2 look and Skinner was on the sidelines with a nickleback taking his place. But Wells in the box while Skinner is out in the slot is very doubtful.

I Thought Wells looked pretty good last year in space.

This thread has me so amped. I don't see how anyone can't see the talent, and when we play OSU it will be obvious what our talent level is on offense.

MarketingBully01
07-27-2013, 05:28 PM
I think we will have a fairly good defense this year. I am very excited about the depth and the secondary is young but IMO more talented then we were last year. I think we have a good chance to go 8-4 this year. I think we will surprise a lot of the so called "experts."

K9 Avenger
07-27-2013, 05:37 PM
I think we will have a fairly good defense this year. I am very excited about the depth and the secondary is young but IMO more talented then we were last year. I think we have a good chance to go 8-4 this year. I think we will surprise a lot of the so called "experts."

Agree with you about the secondary although, as Mullen said the other day, they're going to be pretty darn experienced by the time we get back from Houston.

Todd4State
07-27-2013, 05:53 PM

Will Redmond could give us a midseason boost as well. Since he has to miss half the year thanks to NCAA compliance officer of the year Bracky Brett I'm afraid we may end up having to use him more in the nickle than anything else. My hope is that he can start opposite of Justin Cox though. I prefer Jamerson Love at nickle, but I will say that I really like Cedric Giles. He just seems to have those natural ball skills that a CB needs.

hailmari
07-27-2013, 06:12 PM
So, where do Curtis Virges and Cordell Harrison-Gay stand in all this depth?

Todd4State
07-27-2013, 07:09 PM
So, where do Curtis Virges and Cordell Harrison-Gay stand in all this depth?

If I was the coaching staff, I would strongly consider moving Virges to OG.

I mean, we have PJ, Eulls, Quay, James, and Nelson Adams.

To me, Harrison-Gay should be a DE.

Political Hack
07-27-2013, 07:10 PM
Virges should be 5th in that DT rotation. he's got legit talent, but he's been great in burst according to most people. HG mm might be a bit buried, but it's not because he's not a legit talent. It's because our DL is loaded with elite level SEC talent.

Homedawg
07-27-2013, 07:13 PM

Actually it's the same damn thing. He did the same thing last year. We haven't changed a damn thing. I'm tired of talkin about it. We are staying w the same system on lb's right or wrong. Call it will Sam or what the ****. But it's the same ****ing thing. Got it?

War Machine Dawg
07-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Actually it's the same damn thing. He did the same thing last year. We haven't changed a damn thing. I'm tired of talkin about it. We are staying w the same system on lb's right or wrong. Call it will Sam or what the ****. But it's the same ****ing thing. Got it?

Way to triple down on the stupidity. Glad to know I can start skipping over your posts, it'll save me some thread time this football season.

War Machine Dawg
07-27-2013, 07:36 PM
A lot of people seem to forget that Virges was an All-SEC Freshman ahead of PJ Jones. You're right about us being absolutely STACKED with talent on the DL. Virges should've been starting ahead of Cherry last season. But the guy can play, there's no doubt about that. I also wouldn't be surprised if he plays ahead of Eulls and Eulls winds up being the 5th DT. We've got a good "problem" at the DT spot right now of 5 legit SEC starting DTs and only enough consistent playing time for 4 of them. Of course, I think the most likely scenario is Virges takes lots of Nick James's reps because of conditioning, depending on how much James has improved in that area.

Coach34
07-27-2013, 07:38 PM

No, no it's not

Last year Cam didnt bump out in coverage. He stayed in the box- which makes him the Sam LB. Skinner bumped out in coverage- that makes him the Will LB.

This year, Skinner is will stay in the box- Wells will move out and cover. That makes Skinner the Sam and Wells the Willie LB

This isn't hard

sack07
07-27-2013, 07:54 PM
Let me jump in here into the Sam/Will discussion and clear it up. Everyone is partially right. Wells will be our Sam backer as Collins has stated, but he will be the guy out of the box as Coach34 has also stated. That is because in Collins scheme the strength is called to field (as opposed to into the boundary). Thus Wells is our Sam playing out of the box, in space, to the field side.

War Machine Dawg
07-27-2013, 08:24 PM
Let me jump in here into the Sam/Will discussion and clear it up. Everyone is partially right. Wells will be our Sam backer as Collins has stated, but he will be the guy out of the box as Coach34 has also stated. That is because in Collins scheme the strength is called to field (as opposed to into the boundary). Thus Wells is our Sam playing out of the box, in space, to the field side.

Boom! Way to clarify it so even homedawg can (hopefully....maybe....ahh, hell) understand it. Collins may be calling Wells the Sam, but he'll be doing what the Will traditionally does - play in space and cover guys. So for the traditionalists who aren't flipping the terms with the field like Collins does, Wells is STILL the Will. Damn, it really shouldn't be that hard.

Political Hack
07-27-2013, 08:26 PM

typical for a pressure D to do this. Everyone is right though, Wells will play the field and Skinner will play the boundary, all things even. It's a lot like JLD lining up that Dog Safety to the field side and bringing the thunder.

Homedawg
07-27-2013, 08:49 PM
Way to triple down on the stupidity. Glad to know I can start skipping over your posts, it'll save me some thread time this football season.

Well good don't read em. Don't give a a ****. I can talk football circles around you and whatever terminology you would like. If you want my number just pm me. As for this debate stupid bastard- this came STRAIGHT from Collins mf mouth. Would you like his number **********. Look I'm not here for Internet cred. I don't ****ing need it. I'm here to provide a little insight. Lots of times I stay quiet for various reasons like to heAr more info. In this case, this isn't a secret. Yet know it alls like you chime in. I'm not going to respond to every damn post. But I will say in this case is you, war machine dont know what the **** you ate talking about. Period. Chime on bitch.

Homedawg
07-27-2013, 09:04 PM

Wells will be the Sam as in strong side backer to whatever side is called strong by the mike. Trips left, strong left. TE left and I formation strong left. It isn't hard. Wells will go to that side. Stop the boundary, field side stuff. Wells will be on the strong side of the formation- UNLESS, as Hack said, that most of you don't comprehend apparently, the formation is balanced, then it's a call based on what we have called.

Coach34
07-27-2013, 09:23 PM
hahahaha...simmer down guys

There is no such thing as a DawgSafety- but JLD just labeled an outside LB that. Coaches call stuff what they call it. Collins has different ways of naming our LB's that isnt traditional. As long as they know where to line-up and arent confused like last year- so be it.

Coach34
07-27-2013, 09:36 PM
Wells will be the Sam as in strong side backer to whatever side is called strong by the mike. Trips left, strong left. TE left and I formation strong left. It isn't hard. Wells will go to that side. Stop the boundary, field side stuff. Wells will be on the strong side of the formation- UNLESS, as Hack said, that most of you don't comprehend apparently, the formation is balanced, then it's a call based on what we have called.

and then you had to go and post aGAIN....Wells WILL NOT be the strong side LB.

If a team is in the I- Skinner will be to the TE side....Wells will be away from the TE to the open side. There is no way we are going to put a 240 LB to the open side for coverage. Skinner played the open side last year while Cam played the strong (TE) side.

We'll make damn sure we revisit this in September

sack07
07-27-2013, 09:44 PM

As I said in Collins scheme he calls the strength into the field, not necessarily by the other teams formation (obviously this isn't 100% the case, and there are exceptions). But this is the scheme we run. If you'll notice last year Banks was our boundary corner. We flipped based on where the ball is located on the hashes.

Homedawg
07-27-2013, 10:34 PM
and then you had to go and post aGAIN....Wells WILL NOT be the strong side LB.

If a team is in the I- Skinner will be to the TE side....Wells will be away from the TE to the open side. There is no way we are going to put a 240 LB to the open side for coverage. Skinner played the open side last year while Cam played the strong (TE) side.

We'll make damn sure we revisit this in September

And again if he isn't I'm not the liar, your ****ing dc is. Plus w that said coach, and I'm not picking this battle for you, however, you kept saying and I am not going back to read it again, that the Sam is in the "box" hard to be in the box in the formation previously mentioned. Just saying.
Eta, in today's football formations are way more complicated than the I, I get that. Calls dictate things as I said earlier. Maybe war can explain the finer points to me though.**

Political Hack
07-27-2013, 10:35 PM

There is no such thing as a DawgSafety- but JLD just labeled an outside LB that. Coaches call stuff what they call it. Collins has different ways of naming our LB's that isnt traditional. As long as they know where to line-up and arent confused like last year- so be it.

JLD had a dog safety, so there is such a thing as a dog safety!!! Don't be ripping on Joe Lee's terminology!

Homedawg
07-27-2013, 10:39 PM

I'm confused, how can the Sam lb lining up on to the strong side not be traditonal?

Coach34
07-27-2013, 11:14 PM
I'm confused, how can the Sam lb lining up on to the strong side not be traditonal?

The Sam lines up to the TE side. Cam did that last season for us while Skinner lined up to the open side.

You told me that Skinner played Sam last year. If Skinner was the Sam, then that is not traditional- because in a traditional 4-3, Skinner has played Will the last 2 seasons due to him lining up and playing to the open side. And also why we got abused by Spread teams- Skinner was out in coverage against other teams Slot players, while Cam stayed in the box

Homedawg
07-27-2013, 11:46 PM
The Sam lines up to the TE side. Cam did that last season for us while Skinner lined up to the open side.

You told me that Skinner played Sam last year. If Skinner was the Sam, then that is not traditional- because in a traditional 4-3, Skinner has played Will the last 2 seasons due to him lining up and playing to the open side. And also why we got abused by Spread teams- Skinner was out in coverage against other teams Slot players, while Cam stayed in the box

I told you skinner played the Sam? Where? Never said that.

Todd4State
07-28-2013, 12:10 AM

Blasphemy.

Political Hack
07-28-2013, 06:23 AM
Blasphemy.

agree. C34 should have to go sockless for a week for that remark.

War Machine Dawg
07-28-2013, 10:13 AM
Well good don't read em. Don't give a a ****. I can talk football circles around you and whatever terminology you would like. If you want my number just pm me. As for this debate stupid bastard- this came STRAIGHT from Collins mf mouth. Would you like his number **********. Look I'm not here for Internet cred. I don't ****ing need it. I'm here to provide a little insight. Lots of times I stay quiet for various reasons like to heAr more info. In this case, this isn't a secret. Yet know it alls like you chime in. I'm not going to respond to every damn post. But I will say in this case is you, war machine dont know what the **** you ate talking about. Period. Chime on bitch.

Hey look! We have an Internet Billy Badass! Do you want to meet on South Farm and whip my ass?

War Machine Dawg
07-28-2013, 10:14 AM

And then you QUADRUPLE down. Way to go full retard.

War Machine Dawg
07-28-2013, 10:14 AM
agree. C34 should have to go sockless for a week for that remark.

+1 EPIC!

War Machine Dawg
07-28-2013, 10:16 AM

Way to go, Captain Obvious. The first step in getting help is admitting you have a problem. Can we get some meds for this guy?

Political Hack
07-28-2013, 10:27 AM
this may be the most heated argument we've had in which nobody's actually wrong. its just a terminology issue as far as I can tell.

mic
07-28-2013, 10:31 AM
the bigger question to all of this is that now C Hughes is off the team. who is behind Matty.?? Is it Z Jackson? or do we slide Skinner back over there and play either of the Browns in his spot. Or can either of the browns play that position (whatever you want to call it)

Political Hack
07-28-2013, 10:44 AM
team's lauded with LB/S types. Just need a young guy to step up. I expect for Wells to plsy A LOT of snaps though. He's versatile enough to play in petty much any package.

mic
07-28-2013, 10:50 AM
team's lauded with LB/S types. Just need a young guy to step up. I expect for Wells to plsy A LOT of snaps though. He's versatile enough to play in petty much any package.

I agree,...we are set with the LB position for the next few years.. The few spring practices I went to thou CH was all over the field.. Wish that kid wouldn't of had all his off the field issues..
I think we will give offensives a lot of looks. With different players all over the field in and with different formations..

Coach34
07-28-2013, 10:55 AM
well, defending Spread teams better is going to take running some 3-4 in situations. That means James has to come thru and be the force he is capable of. If he gives us that dimension, then we could really have a solid D. Controlling the run game when you go to the 3-4 is paramount, and having a dominant NG makes it all happen.

messageboardsuperhero
07-28-2013, 10:57 AM
I'd say Jackson. Arrington can slide down from his safety spot. There are other options too.

I just hope Collins comes through on these changes, and we're finally the aggressive, relentless defense we should be. The talent is there to be as solid as 2010.

Political Hack
07-28-2013, 11:06 AM
yep, we should give people a lot of confusing match ups, but I thought the same thing last year and we were very vanilla all year.

Offensively we should trot MoJo, RoJo, Tubby, JRob, and BHill out on to the field. You can run a strong side offset power-I with that group or go five wide.

mic
07-28-2013, 11:33 AM
I agree,...we are set with the LB position for the next few years.. The few spring practices I went to thou CH was all over the field.. Wish that kid wouldn't of had all his off the field issues..
I think we will give offensives a lot of looks. With different players all over the field in and with different formations..

Meant to say we will give opposing offensives a lot of looks ..with different defensive players and formations..

War Machine Dawg
07-28-2013, 12:32 PM
this may be the most heated argument we've had in which nobody's actually wrong. its just a terminology issue as far as I can tell.

Exactly. And for the record, I'm not heated. I'm just making fun of homedawg going all Internet Badass.

Coach34
07-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Here's the example I am looking for:

This is your basic one-back Spread formation. It can be used under center or in the Gun....Now then, you send your Sam (Skinner) to the TE side, so he can play the run as well as be physical with the TE should he release on a pass route. Your Willie LB (Wells) has to bump out to cover a slot WR.

We got hurt alot last year because we had Skinner bumping out to cover slot WR's at 240 pounds- while Cam and McKinney stayed in the box. This year, we will match-up much better with Wells playing slots and Skinner being more able to stay with TE's. McKinney's pass coverage should be better also this year. It was a weakness of his also in 2012.

HancockCountyDog
07-28-2013, 02:50 PM
I'd say Jackson. Arrington can slide down from his safety spot. There are other options too.

I just hope Collins comes through on these changes, and we're finally the aggressive, relentless defense we should be. The talent is there to be as solid as 2010.

What is the story on Arrington? He will be a junior next year and so far has made no impact beyond looking good in a uniform. Are we expecting him to start this year? If not, is he just not going to live up to the four star hype?

War Machine Dawg
07-28-2013, 02:52 PM
What is the story on Arrington? He will be a junior next year and so far has made no impact beyond looking good in a uniform. Are we expecting him to start this year? If not, is he just not going to live up to the four star hype?

Yes.

Big4Dawg
07-28-2013, 03:44 PM
the bigger question to all of this is that now C Hughes is off the team. who is behind Matty.?? Is it Z Jackson? or do we slide Skinner back over there and play either of the Browns in his spot. Or can either of the browns play that position (whatever you want to call it)

Zach Jackson is 2nd string right now. Isn't Beniquez Brown more of a S/LB? He is listed 2nd string behind Skinner though. We ave 7 LBs who are all going to play a lot:
Skinner
McKinney
Wells
Brown
Brown
Bohanna
Jackson

Also have guys like Arrington and Antoine who can slide down.

Coach 57
07-28-2013, 03:50 PM
C34 is right (pretty much) about defending the spread teams. In order to defend them well you have to be multiple in your sets. You can't JUST line up in a 4-3 bade and say "bring it on" or even in that case a 3-4 base either (I.e Bama). You have to show different looks and be able to bring MULTIPLE sets (combo of 4-3 & 3-4) to properly defend them. Which was what Wilson TRIED to do but failed to do. As "thick" said you must have a 0 tech to run the 3-4 set. Virges can be this guy but hasn't shown he can, Nick (like Virges) has the physical ability to be this type of player but has yet to show it consistently. Guys like Vince Wilfork are who should come to mind.