PDA

View Full Version : Why are top dual threat QB prospects not committing to Mullen?

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-20-2015, 09:23 AM
He has helped to develop Alex Smith, Tim Tebow and now Dak Prescott. Why isn't there a top dual threat QB prospect wanting to play for him?

msstate7
10-20-2015, 09:26 AM
Dak is the first one at state. Hopefully after staley/fitz do it again, we start signing them

Leroy Jenkins
10-20-2015, 09:32 AM
He has helped to develop Alex Smith, Tim Tebow and now Dak Prescott. Why isn't there a top dual threat QB prospect wanting to play for him?

How do we know the ones committed are not the "top dual threat QBs"?

For example Dan said Staley was the #1 QB on the board as far as this staffs evaluation.

Edit: Technically he said the staff rated Staley a 5*, so I guess there could be others higher.

Johnson85
10-20-2015, 09:40 AM

We got a commitment from the guy out of Florida that played pro baseball instead. He was pretty highly rated.
I really think Dan was being honest when he said Staley was at the top of his board.
For this year, if you're a top QB, do you really want to go to state and after redshirting, only have two years of eligibility after Fitzgerlad and Staley leave?

I think our QB recruiting has turned a corner. I know some schools go out and get highly rated QB's each year despite concerns over a lack of playing time, but I'm not sure it's realistic to expect MSU to be there yet. If Dak gets drafted and then Staley and/or Fitzgerald show out, I think you'll start to see guys want to come to state, even if it's clear that there will be a ton of competition for playing time.

Really Clark?
10-20-2015, 09:41 AM
We signed Cord who was the #9 rated dual threat in 2013. He just decided to take the money and play baseball. Don't blame the player. Staley's ranking dropped a bunch because of his dismissal his senior year. Going into the year he was rated 88 and possible would have gone up. But even if he stayed rated 88 that would have also made him a top 10 rated dual QB in the country.

Statefan
10-20-2015, 09:43 AM
I think Cord was a really good prospect and he would have ended up here had he not gone to the MLB
And I may be wrong but I think we could have gotten Dobbs had we moved on from Cord when it seemed like he was going pro

Fitzgerald and Staley both seem legit

I trust Dan's evaluation after watching them at BDC 1000000000x more than some random guy in a cubicle at 247/scout/rivals watching film on his computer

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-20-2015, 09:44 AM

I just meant top as in "top in the country - highly rated by 247" type guy. I am not saying I am not happy with Staley and/or Fitzgerald. I am just surprised that top QB's that want to play in the SEC are not wanting to play for Mullen.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-20-2015, 09:45 AM
Bc until last year he didn't have a poster child for his QB. He can say he coached Tebow & Alex Smith but Urban Meyer is going to get that credit. Dak is the 1st guy Dan can say is his. We only pushed for a couple QB's this class (Hurts & Pass). I expect us to land a 4* QB in the 2017 class.

ShotgunDawg
10-20-2015, 09:45 AM

I think perhaps your worrying more about recruiting rankings than actual players. MSU has almost inarguably the best QB depth chart in the SEC. Is Mullen not recruiting the top duel threat guys or do the recruiting sites have trouble ranking them?

Would you rather have Kyler Murray and Brandon Harris? Josh Dobbs?

Who is Mullen missing on? Those guys were the top duel threat guys but our guys are better.

Taog Redloh
10-20-2015, 09:48 AM
Starting in 2013:

- Signed 4* Cord Sandberg, offers from everybody
- Signed 3* Elijah Staley, with solid offers
- Signed 3* Nick Tiano, with solid offers

Those 3 guys are about the best MSU has really EVER been able to sign, in our history. Tyler Russell was a 4* and Dak Prescott was a 3*, both with solid offers. We damn near signed Cam Newton based off Mullen's reputation alone. Not sure what you want the man to do.

Oh! I know, you are comparing us to Ole Miss because you are insecure and obsessed. Stop that shit. We aren't giving out jobs and cash at an alarming rate either, keep that in mind.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-20-2015, 09:50 AM
lol...Nick Tiano did not have solid offers

Coach34
10-20-2015, 09:50 AM
Yeah- I wouldn't trade our QB depth for anybody in the SEC

17thebears
10-20-2015, 09:52 AM
Signed 3* Nick Tiano, with solid offers

lol

17thebears
10-20-2015, 09:52 AM
You beat me to it.

msstate7
10-20-2015, 09:54 AM
I think perhaps your worrying more about recruiting rankings than actual players. MSU has almost inarguably the best QB depth chart in the SEC. Is Mullen not recruiting the top duel threat guys or do the recruiting sites have trouble ranking them?

Would you rather have Kyler Murray and Brandon Harris? Josh Dobbs?

Who is Mullen missing on? Those guys were the top duel threat guys but our guys are better.

Brandon Harris would be unbelievable in our system IMO

Really Clark?
10-20-2015, 09:56 AM
I just meant top as in "top in the country - highly rated by 247" type guy. I am not saying I am not happy with Staley and/or Fitzgerald. I am just surprised that top QB's that want to play in the SEC are not wanting to play for Mullen.

But Staley was a highly rated player. Top 10 in the country and with a good possibility of moving up. The dismissal from the team hurt his rankings not his ability.

ShotgunDawg
10-20-2015, 09:58 AM

Maybe, but is he better than Dak or Fitz?

Taog Redloh
10-20-2015, 09:58 AM
That's all you got.....out of that whole post. By the way, I guess Miami isn't solid. Plus he was courted by others.

But hey, no worries, throw an 'lol' in there and you are cool. Still stupid, but your posts look cool though.

msstate7
10-20-2015, 09:59 AM
Maybe, but is he better than Dak or Fitz?

Dak... No.
Fitz... Maybe.

Lsu doesn't use Harris' best attribute (running) like we would

Really Clark?
10-20-2015, 10:00 AM

Miami is not a solid offer?

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-20-2015, 10:02 AM
We beat out UT Chattanooga for Nick Tiano. That's about it. And Staley was not a top 10 QB in the country...not sure where Clark is getting that.

msstate7
10-20-2015, 10:03 AM
We beat out UT Chattanooga for Nick Tiano. That's about it. And Staley was not a top 10 QB in the country...not sure where Clark is getting that.

Neither was Dak, but Mullen wanted Dak like he wanted staley.

defiantdog
10-20-2015, 10:04 AM
Bc until last year he didn't have a poster child for his QB. He can say he coached Tebow & Alex Smith but Urban Meyer is going to get that credit. Dak is the 1st guy Dan can say is his. We only pushed for a couple QB's this class (Hurts & Pass). I expect us to land a 4* QB in the 2017 class.

Too bad it also looks like we'll be losing a lot of top prospects in the state to Alabama in 2017.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-20-2015, 10:05 AM
My topic is more on why don't we hear about top QB's wanting to play for Mullen. I am not questioning his ability to develop QB's.

msstate7
10-20-2015, 10:06 AM
Too bad it also looks like we'll be losing a lot of top prospects in the state to Alabama in 2017.
Akers and who?

Who do we want more -- hill or Akers?

msstate7
10-20-2015, 10:07 AM
My topic is more on why don't we hear about top QB's wanting to play for Mullen. I am not questioning his ability to develop QB's.

Maybe since Dan is such a good developer of qb's that he sees qb's for what they could be instead of what they currently are

Ifyouonlyknew
10-20-2015, 10:08 AM

I'd wait until February 2017 before I make this statement. I'd be surprised if Akers or Bowie sign with Bama.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-20-2015, 10:09 AM

We've had 2 of the top dual threat guys in the country have us in their final 2 or 3 this year. We just didn't get them.

Leroy Jenkins
10-20-2015, 10:11 AM

Top according to who? Recruiting services? Hell Porter said Mikhail Milker was the best QB from MS since Jason Campbell. I'll stick with Dans evaluations.

Really Clark?
10-20-2015, 10:11 AM

Before Staley's senior year he was rated 88 which put him in the Top 10 in the country. All indications were that his stock was rising at the beginning of his senior year because of his play but when he was dismissed from the team the 247 site dropped his ranking to an 80. Not because of his play, verified by the national guys, but strickly because of the dismissal and not being able to finish his senior year. Even if he did not increase his rating the 88 still puts him at #10 in the country that year. That's where I am getting that. It was discussed a good bit when this happened and his play did not cause the drop at all. He probably would have been at least a low 4 star according to the national guys which would have put him firmly as a top 10 dual threat QB. And go back and look at the QB's in that class and tell me 10 guys at this time that are better than Staley or Fitz for that matter.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-20-2015, 10:14 AM
Top according to who? Recruiting services? Hell Porter said Mikhail Milker was the best QB from MS since Jason Campbell. I'll stick with Dans evaluations.

Well the state of MS produces such a low number of good QB's he may have been right.

Dawg496
10-20-2015, 10:16 AM
I'll continue to question Dan's clock management, playcalling, scheming, personnel management.. but one thing I won't question is QB recruiting or development.

Really Clark?
10-20-2015, 10:16 AM
Well the state of MS produces such a low number of good QB's he may have been right.

Miller was better than Russell?

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-20-2015, 10:19 AM
Before Staley's senior year he was rated 88 which put him in the Top 10 in the country. All indications were that his stock was rising at the beginning of his senior year because of his play but when he was dismissed from the team the 247 site dropped his ranking to an 80. Not because of his play, verified by the national guys, but strickly because of the dismissal and not being able to finish his senior year. Even if he did not increase his rating the 88 still puts him at #10 in the country that year. That's where I am getting that. It was discussed a good bit when this happened and his play did not cause the drop at all. He probably would have been at least a low 4 star according to the national guys which would have put him firmly as a top 10 dual threat QB. And go back and look at the QB's in that class and tell me 10 guys at this time that are better than Staley or Fitz for that matter.

Ok...once again I agree that our backup QB's look good in their limited playing time. Staley deserved to have his rating dropped for barely playing in his senior year.

Really Clark?
10-20-2015, 10:21 AM
Wasn't we in for Woulard in 2013 for a while as well? He was the top rated dual threat that went to UCLA but if memory serves we really really like Sandberg and he was our guy. He just blew up late and we kept getting strung along a bit by Dobbs.

msstate7
Ok...once again I agree that our backup QB's look good in their limited playing time. Staley deserved to have his rating dropped for barely playing in his senior year.

Yeah the drop was warranted, but should that affect what we thought of him if we didn't think it would be a problem here?

dawgwood
[QUOTE=Johnson85;433159]We got a commitment from the guy out of Florida that played pro baseball instead. He was pretty highly rated.
I really think Dan was being honest when he said Staley was at the top of his board.
For this year, if you're a top QB, do you really want to go to state and after redshirting, only have two years of eligibility after Fitzgerlad and Staley leave? Cord Sandburg, and almost Cam Newton

defiantdog
10-20-2015, 10:23 AM

You know that the QB position is one of the most difficult positions to recruit. You have to make sure you can find a guy that will buy into the program, and someone that has the ability to put the team on their back. There's a reason why we didn't push for Anthony Alford (rated #3 overall dual threat qb). A lot of these dual threat guys aren't built to play the position at the next level. Do you remember Auburn signing Kiehl Frazier a few years back..... he was rated in the top 3 for dual threat qbs? Where is he now? Mullen knows what he's doing when it comes to the qb position.

dickiedawg
10-20-2015, 10:23 AM

For example Dan said Staley was the #1 QB on the board as far as this staffs evaluation.

Edit: Technically he said the staff rated Staley a 5*, so I guess there could be others higher.

To your point, look at the 2011 class (Dak Prescott).
There were 43 guys at QB the 247 composite rated more highly than Prescott. 19 were dual threat guys. How many of them would you trade straight up for No. 15?
(Actually more have a case than I expected, that was a really good class. You have 2 Heisman winners in Manziel and Mariota, and another current NFL Starter in Bridgewater, all of which would be hard to argue Prescott over.)

Coach34
10-20-2015, 10:24 AM

Like who? Akers is about to decommit from Bama

defiantdog
10-20-2015, 10:27 AM
Akers and who?

Who do we want more -- hill or Akers?

Bowie..... hopefully it's a Leo situation, but he's pretty high on Bama right now. And I'd like to get Hill and Akers in the 2017 class..... that would be a damn good backfield.

Really Clark?
10-20-2015, 10:28 AM

I don't disagree he deserved the rating drop but he was a highly rated guy before that occurred and had several offers. Had actually decommitted from Vandy and Franklin. But without the dismissal, he is at least a top 10 guy. He gets a 90-91 rating, which was very possible, then he would have been top 5.

Really Clark?
10-20-2015, 10:32 AM
We were also in on Aaron Sharp for a while, he actually camped here. But he played musical commitment with schools before finally signing with UCLA.

Johnson85
10-20-2015, 11:31 AM

Didn't we take Tiano's commitment fairly early? Not saying there were a lot of other programs on him, but if Mullen is willing to take a guy's commitment early before he has missed out on all of his other targets, I expect that person to be good. I guess if Mullen thought Tiano would be a TE prospect if we got another QB to sign or if Mullen just figured it was unlikely he'd get a top target with Staley and Fitzgerald one year ahead and he just wanted to ensure he had a gap filler, I would think Tiano will end up being a qb that at least a third or more SEC teams will wish they had.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-20-2015, 11:48 AM
Remember the names Keytaon Thompson & Jaylon Mascorro. 1 of these guys could/will be the answer to your question in the 2017 class.

tcdog70
10-20-2015, 11:59 AM
other teams would lie-steal and cheat to have our back-up QBs. Dan knows QBs--don't worry about stars--shit Fitz completed 34 passes in Highschool--find something else to bitch and whine about

Dawgology
10-20-2015, 12:12 PM

Neither did Dak.

State82
10-20-2015, 12:41 PM
but one thing I won't question is QB recruiting or development.

Yeah Mullen's pretty much bulletproof on that topic. Nobody can even attempt to ridicule that aspect of our program.

Jack Lambert
10-20-2015, 12:44 PM

And Dak would not be the QB he is now if he went to LSU.

gtowndawg
10-20-2015, 12:51 PM
Remember the names Keytaon Thompson & Jaylon Mascorro. 1 of these guys could/will be the answer to your question in the 2017 class.

Done. Remembered. Booked. Dan has spoken.

sandwolf
10-20-2015, 12:52 PM
Neither did Dak.

He had an LSU offer, which I would consider to be solid.

defiantdog
10-20-2015, 01:24 PM

Keytaon will be battle with LSU till the end, and Mascorro is being heavily looked at by Texas. Both will be a huge battle, but they both fit the Dak Prescott mold.

defiantdog
10-20-2015, 01:30 PM
And Dak would not be the QB he is now if he went to LSU.

Anthony Jennings would have probably been more successful at a team that ran the spread as well

Ifyouonlyknew
10-20-2015, 01:36 PM
Keytaon will be battle with LSU till the end, and Mascorro is being heavily looked at by Texas. Both will be a huge battle, but they both fit the Dak Prescott mold.

LSU is slow playing Keytaon & looking more OOS for their 2017 QB. He hasn't been to LSU or had much communication with them since their summer camp. They didn't exactly roll out the red carpet for him like they did for a few other QB's & it turned him off. Texas has their QB for 2017 & have said they weren't taking 2 so not to upset the other kid. They could offer Mascorro as a Safety but he wants to play QB. If/when we offer we'd be in a great spot for him because Texas, A&M, Baylor, & TCU all have QB commits for 2017 already.

BrunswickDawg
10-20-2015, 01:41 PM
Anthony Jennings would have probably been more successful at a team that ran the spread as well
Having seen Jennings in HS multiple times, I totally agree with this. Kid is not a pro-style QB and would have excelled under Dan.

FISHDAWG
10-20-2015, 01:45 PM
LSU is slow playing Keytaon & looking more OOS for their 2017 QB. He hasn't been to LSU or had much communication with them since their summer camp. They didn't exactly roll out the red carpet for him like they did for a few other QB's & it turned him off. Texas has their QB for 2017 & have said they weren't taking 2 so not to upset the other kid. They could offer Mascorro as a Safety but he wants to play QB. If/when we offer we'd be in a great spot for him because Texas, A&M, Baylor, & TCU all have QB commits for 2017 already.

I love the behind the scene glances - thanks Dan

defiantdog
10-20-2015, 02:00 PM

That's how LSU like to recruit locals though. They seem to wait until the last possible moment to offer and/or heavily recruit some guys. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. I'm glad it didn't work for Dak.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-20-2015, 02:07 PM
That's how LSU like to recruit locals though. They seem to wait until the last possible moment to offer and/or heavily recruit some guys. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. I'm glad it didn't work for Dak.

Yea he's a Louisiana kid so you always have to be weary of LSU. He is pretty upset over the lack of attention he's received. Let's just hope he stays pissed because Mullen & Johnson are all over him. Last couple of months he's said MSU & Miami are his top 2 & Miami got a commit from a 2017 QB about 2wks ago. You get Thompson or Mascorro & you've hit a HR at QB next year.

Maroon_and_white
10-20-2015, 03:40 PM

That settles it. We need Mascorro. The last 2 HS QB prospects Texas recruited to be safetys? Heisman winners RGIII and Johnny Football

defiantdog
10-20-2015, 04:03 PM
That settles it. We need Mascorro. The last 2 HS QB prospects Texas recruited to be safetys? Heisman winners RGIII and Johnny Football

Mascorro is more like Johnny Football, but taller

smootness
10-20-2015, 04:41 PM
I think the fact that we just went after 1 or 2 QBs in this class and were fine not taking any shows what the staff thinks about who we already have on the roster. We were prepared to take a QB if it was a top guy, but we obviously feel comfortable rolling with who we have for the next couple years.

Anyone who thought Mullen would roll in and start getting 4- and 5-star QBs every year were crazy. He's already improved our QB recruiting way ahead of where it has historically been, and it should continue to improve now that Dak has emerged at State. It takes time, though, at a program with our history.

Bubb Rubb
10-20-2015, 04:50 PM

I don't understand your question. MSU is in the best shape in its history at QB. Staley was highly regarded, and he's being beaten out by Fitzgerald, and they're both beating out a former #2 with a couple of starts under his belt (Williams). Oh, and there's that Prescott guy.

I submit to you that almost every school in the SEC would love to have our problems at QB right now.

IMissJack
10-20-2015, 07:09 PM
Sign a top ranked OL class, and skill people will sign up in bunches. All starts with OL which we have not been the best at recruiting.

But I agree with others, our QB position is in pretty good shape.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-20-2015, 07:13 PM
Sign a top ranked OL class, and skill people will sign up in bunches. All starts with OL which we have not been the best at recruiting.

But I agree with others, our QB position is in pretty good shape.

Stanford signs great OL classes routinely & I don't think their skill classes have been anything special.

IMissJack
10-20-2015, 07:15 PM
Stanford signs great OL classes routinely & I don't think their skill classes have been anything special.

What's their entrance requirements compared to ours? Serious question. That may have something to do with it.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-20-2015, 07:19 PM
What's their entrance requirements compared to ours? Serious question. That may have something to do with it.

No idea just making a point about the OL = skill players in bunches.

jumbo
10-21-2015, 09:35 AM

That McCaffery kid is pretty damn good. No clue what he was rated though

Maroon_and_white
10-21-2015, 09:48 AM
That McCaffery kid is pretty damn good. No clue what he was rated though

He was a 4* Army All American

sleepy dawg
10-21-2015, 11:04 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-21-2015, 04:30 PM
Mullen dont recruit stars(excess baggage). He recruits attitude, character , teachable players that has ability to run his offense. I am not complaining about the stable of QB's we have. We are locked and loaded there was several years

msstate7
10-21-2015, 04:52 PM
Mullen dont recruit stars(excess baggage). He recruits attitude, character , teachable players that has ability to run his offense. I am not complaining about the stable of QB's we have. We are locked and loaded there was several years

Mullen certainly does recruit stars. He just also recruits kids the recruiting guys don't think that high of also