PDA

View Full Version : QB Development: Lost Art or Dumb Luck?

Bama_Dawg
10-19-2015, 03:17 PM
I ask this in all seriousness. State is developing Fitz and Staley, and developed Dak from square one. Looking around the SEC, you see NMU and their "Who is EMCC's QB, let's get him!" method of QB development. The issues at Alabama with Coker and Sims. Auburn and their, "can't develop Jeremy Johnson...the second coming of Cam!". The revolving QB door at Vandy and Florida. The list goes on and on.

It just seems that in the past 10 years the development of the QB in many universities is not being done. I know that the first thing in developing a QB is the character of the QB. What skill does he have? What intangibles does he have? From day 1 we were told that Dak had the leadership quality that you can't teach. The "IT" factor. Does Fitz and/or Staley have this?

What do you guys think? I know our QB battle will be one for the ages this off season, and we'll continue to develop Mr. Tiano. But what has happened to college football as a whole on this? Do they not care and rely on dumb luck in recruiting? Surely that can't be the case.

MadDawg
10-19-2015, 03:23 PM
From day 1 we were told that Dak had the leadership quality that you can't teach. The "IT" factor. Does Fitz and/or Staley have this?

I don't know the answer to that question, but I sure am glad both Fitz and Staley have been learning under Dak. I heard Fitz the other day say in an interview that he watches Dak the entire game and just tries to do everything Dak does. You can tell he and the rest of the players really respect Dak and the work he puts in. That's huge.

smootness
10-19-2015, 03:26 PM
It's an issue in the NFL right now as well. I don't think anyone can make the argument that QBs are less talented than they were in the past, so the primary issue, IMO, is the lack of development at lower levels and the fact that even HS football now is centered less around reading defenses and making accurate throws than it is about play-calling and what used to be considered gimmicks.

Football looks more and more like 7-on-7 at every level, but as you move up in level, you also move up in defensive talent and coaching. Offensive coaches aren't allowing QBs to develop an understanding of schemes and reading defenses; they just call a play and tell them to run it. So not only are QBs having their hands tied behind their back, they're also not developing crucial skills they'll need as they advance.

Certain coaches are clearly able to develop QBs consistently. Others are more concerned with their offensive scheme and play-calling and often left with subpar QB play. Look at Chip Kelly and his issues with Sam Bradford now. Look at Ole Miss. Look at Auburn. These offenses are all centered around getting to the line, looking at the offensive coaches, then running whatever play is called. If they don't get an all-world QB, they won't develop one.

Beaver
10-19-2015, 03:30 PM
IBut what has happened to college football as a whole on this? Do they not care and rely on dumb luck in recruiting? Surely that can't be the case.

I'm not a coach, so I could be way off base here, but it may have to do with the fact that the QB is asked to do more for an offense now than ever in the history of college football. It used to be 'hand the ball off, and throw when it's there'. Now, they have to process a ton of information in a very small amount of time given the hurry-up offenses many teams run.

Jack Lambert
10-19-2015, 03:35 PM
It's an issue in the NFL right now as well. I don't think anyone can make the argument that QBs are less talented than they were in the past, so the primary issue, IMO, is the lack of development at lower levels and the fact that even HS football now is centered less around reading defenses and making accurate throws than it is about play-calling and what used to be considered gimmicks.

Football looks more and more like 7-on-7 at every level, but as you move up in level, you also move up in defensive talent and coaching. Offensive coaches aren't allowing QBs to develop an understanding of schemes and reading defenses; they just call a play and tell them to run it. So not only are QBs having their hands tied behind their back, they're also not developing crucial skills they'll need as they advance.

Certain coaches are clearly able to develop QBs consistently. Others are more concerned with their offensive scheme and play-calling and often left with subpar QB play. Look at Chip Kelly and his issues with Sam Bradford now. Look at Ole Miss. Look at Auburn. These offenses are all centered around getting to the line, looking at the offensive coaches, then running whatever play is called. If they don't get an all-world QB, they won't develop one.

Ole MIss hasn't developed a QB since Ely and I suspect his dad played a big part in his development. Personally I don't think you should get a JUCO qb ever unless he's a Cam Newton.