PDA

View Full Version : What's the timetable for a return due to concussion?

starkvegasdawg
10-19-2015, 11:35 AM
All of the injury websites are still showing lil kim as questionable for A&M. I was thinking a confirmed concussion was at least one week out if not two. Almost half expect some agents to get in his ear and aski him if he really wants to return this season and risk his NFL career for a coach that got him hurt because he can't recruit a RB.

thf24
10-19-2015, 11:38 AM
I think it's 1-2 weeks. Also, I might be imagining this, but I think there may be a rule that if you get a concussion in a game one week, you can't play the following week even if you're cleared.

War Machine Dawg
10-19-2015, 11:38 AM
It depends. Every concussion and player is different. Kimdeechee could be ready to go this week or he could be out the whole season. Same for Walley.

ScottH
10-19-2015, 11:51 AM
If he is smart it's rookie mini camp.

Johnson85
10-19-2015, 12:03 PM
I think it's 1-2 weeks. Also, I might be imagining this, but I think there may be a rule that if you get a concussion in a game one week, you can't play the following week even if you're cleared.
NCAA doesn't require anything but that a concussed player not return to competition that day and then it has some procedural protections. Have to be evaluated by somebody trained if it's suspected you've suffered a concussion and if there is a concussion, someone with medical training has to clear you to return to play.

I think some high schools have adopted strict rules where a concussion requires a minimum of time away from competition. Think maybe the NFL talked about something similar?

Really Clark?
10-19-2015, 12:09 PM
This may give you some idea of the NCAA guidelines, but like WMD stated, so much depends on the individual and their baseline tests.

http://www.ncaa.org/health-and-safety/concussion-guidelines

I will say being knocked out for over a minute will trigger additional testing and precautions.

Liverpooldawg
10-19-2015, 12:38 PM
There really is no timetable. It depends on the tests. As stated above for most it's one to two weeks. For some it's much, much longer. One of the higher profile recent ones was NHL superstar Sidney Crosby. He missed several months, over half a season.

GreenheadDawg
10-19-2015, 12:42 PM
If I were him I would be prepping for the combine. Why risk being injured when you have nothing invested in this university. None of these rented mules give two shits about UNM. I would use this concussion as a nice training period

FISHDAWG
10-19-2015, 12:53 PM
There really is no timetable. It depends on the tests. As stated above for most it's one to two weeks. For some it's much, much longer. One of the higher profile recent ones was NHL superstar Sidney Crosby. He missed several months, over half a season.

yeah, but half the league wanted to finish what the concussion had started ... every player had it in for Crosby and I don't blame them .... I remember Tyler Russel was out about 3 weeks with his but I think Dan was using that as a good excuse to start Dak back then

Liverpooldawg
10-19-2015, 12:56 PM
No doubt Sid the Kid was and is the target of every goon in the league.

ckDOG
10-19-2015, 01:01 PM
All of the injury websites are still showing lil kim as questionable for A&M. I was thinking a confirmed concussion was at least one week out if not two. Almost half expect some agents to get in his ear and aski him if he really wants to return this season and risk his NFL career for a coach that got him hurt because he can't recruit a RB.

Freeze cut a guy for being deaf. I doubt he cares if Robert is having headaches Saturday. If he's not suited up, it's Nkemdiche's decision, not Freeze's.

Jack Lambert
10-19-2015, 01:21 PM
Do they give everyone a test before the season starts and record the results and if they have a concussion they take the test again and they have to do as good as they did the first time. I am not talking paper test.

I will tell you this he will not be the same when he comes back. He's not going to risk millions of dollars for freeze or any Ole Miss Dicks. I think Tunsil will not give 100%. They might be better off playing some younger guys because next year thats all they going to have.

War Machine Dawg
10-19-2015, 01:53 PM

Yeah, an MLB player missed most of a season recently with a concussion. Can't remember who it was offhand, though.

starkvegasdawg
10-19-2015, 02:05 PM
The only thing I can think of that would cause Tunsil to give max effort is he doesn't want to be labeled as injury prone right before the draft.

Really Clark?
10-19-2015, 02:06 PM
Yeah, an MLB player missed most of a season recently with a concussion. Can't remember who it was offhand, though.

Mauer missed a good bit of time and had trouble getting right for over a season and moved out from behind the plate because of concussions.