PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about our defense

Irondawg
10-19-2015, 10:29 AM
Why do you guys think we continue to get off to slow starts and what needs to improve the next few weeks to have a shot at some high quality wins?

I'm happy to see our pass rush constantly improving. The downside is that we're not doing a great job of jumping the hot read routes and until Bryant's pick our safeties had made incredible few "plays' this year.

I still think safetey is a massive weakness. We've cut down on giving up huge plays this year but most of the guys we've put back there just don't have great instincts and take bad angles or get places a step or two too late. I've watched more high ranked teams the past few weeks and it becomes painfully apparently how far we are behind there. Heck La Tech's safeties made several big plays/hits.

I just don't know what you can do though when it's a personnel problem.

FISHDAWG
10-19-2015, 10:33 AM
it was that way last time in 2010 under Manny .... I will say this, I no longer sweat those early leads against us as bad as I used too ... I expected a measure of this when Manny came back but he usually adjust very well and I am totally satisfied with the job Manny is doing

HoopsDawg
10-19-2015, 10:38 AM
Up until the Troy game, we always started out in a base defense and played vanilla. We usually got torched and gave up a bunch of first half points. Then we started attacking and played better. The last 2 games, we came out with 5 DB's to get more speed on the field and we came out aggressive. It worked great against Troy. La Tech burned us a little, but it was mainly due to Driskell making nice throws and we just couldn't quite get there. We were close several times. As the game wore on, we shut them down. We are starting to rotate less at Safety which is helping. Bryant has got a lot of upside. As he continues to get experience we should continue to get better and better. And I agree, when we blitz, we need to play a little tighter coverage.

KentuckyDawg13
10-19-2015, 10:43 AM
Nah, let's talk more about UNM.

Seriously, it seems the D is just not prepared mentally for the game and need to be reminded once the team has dug themselves in a hole. Playing catchup is ok vs midlevel teams, but preparations need to take priority for ALL of the SEC teams. Give UK a lead of 14-0, and they will beat you. Sure, having a 5th yr All-SEC QB is a nice weapon to play catchup, and eventually win...but it should never get to that point.
From my observation, it seemed the DL was just not awake yet on Satuday. Once they got their coffee/earful from Manny, they performed better.

And now back to more Bear discusion...

Why do you guys think we continue to get off to slow starts and what needs to improve the next few weeks to have a shot at some high quality wins?

I'm happy to see our pass rush constantly improving. The downside is that we're not doing a great job of jumping the hot read routes and until Bryant's pick our safeties had made incredible few "plays' this year.

I still think safetey is a massive weakness. We've cut down on giving up huge plays this year but most of the guys we've put back there just don't have great instincts and take bad angles or get places a step or two too late. I've watched more high ranked teams the past few weeks and it becomes painfully apparently how far we are behind there. Heck La Tech's safeties made several big plays/hits.

Beaver
10-19-2015, 10:48 AM
La Tech burned us a little, but it was mainly due to Driskell making nice throws and we just couldn't quite get there. We were close several times. As the game wore on, we shut them down.

This^^. After those first 2 touchdowns, I told my buddy that Driskell was playing out of his mind. It didn't help the Redmond seemed to have his worst game of the season. Still, it does say something that when Dak and company got 'angry' we outscored them 45-6.

Dawg Corps
10-19-2015, 10:49 AM
I was really looking for our linebackers and/or defensive backs to make a statement physically early in the game...especially after the hits on Walley. There were multiple times when Driskell left a LATech receiver hung out to dry over the middle of the field, but we did not deliver the teeth-rattling hit that should make our opponent's receivers think twice about wanting to catch those balls. Our D has to be punishing when given the opportunity. This will lead to impact plays and turnovers.

HoopsDawg
10-19-2015, 10:51 AM
I will also add that another reason for the slow starts on D has been our offense. Our first 6 possessions against LSU all ended in punts and all 6 drives were 7 plays or less. And we hit some bad punts in that game.

Against A&M we got a FG on the opening drive and then turnd it over on downs.

Against La Tech we had to punt on our first 2 drives. So it's not just the D getting off to a slow start.

Taog Redloh
10-19-2015, 10:52 AM
Well the main thing to look at regarding La Tech is that they are a really good offense led by a veteran QB in Driskell. Don't sell that short just because of the name on the jersey.

preachermatt83
10-19-2015, 11:08 AM
it was that way last time in 2010 under Manny .... I will say this, I no longer sweat those early leads against us as bad as I used too ... I expected a measure of this when Manny came back but he usually adjust very well and I am totally satisfied with the job Manny is doing

This

Jack Lambert
10-19-2015, 11:09 AM
I still think safetey is a massive weakness.

Our Safety play is way better this year than last. We had I think two freshman this past weekend? If so they are going to get better.

Coach34
10-19-2015, 11:12 AM
Looks to me like we are coached to play soft- then break on the ball.

Redmond got burned because he bit on the pump by Driskell- and then Driskell made a really good throw. You can he is finally getting some coaching.

mic
10-19-2015, 11:12 AM
The defense has played well enough this year for us to be 7-0.....
It could be better at times for sure.. But I feel 100x more comfortable with the D under Manny than I was last year under Collins...

Irondawg
10-19-2015, 11:53 AM
Our Safety play is way better this year than last. We had I think two freshman this past weekend? If so they are going to get better.

It's better but I still wouldn't call it good. I haven't seen a natural playmaker out there yet but hold hope to Bryant, Peters or Mac can become one. To compare - Nickoe was a natural playmaker back there. He would deliver punsishing hits and make great breaks on a lot of passes until the injuries took their toll.

And agree with coach, since I don't even see us even attempting to jump underneath routes I have to assume we're coaching them not to do that.

sleepy dawg
10-19-2015, 12:35 PM
We have one of the highest ranked defenses in the country right now. Defense is not an issue.

We rank 22 in scoring, but more importantly we are ranked 19th in "adjusted" defense according to adjustedstats.com which actually takes into account who've you've played.

http://www.adjustedstats.com/ratings-stats/cfbteams.php?team=Mississippi+St.

HoopsDawg
10-19-2015, 02:05 PM
It's better but I still wouldn't call it good. I haven't seen a natural playmaker out there yet but hold hope to Bryant, Peters or Mac can become one. To compare - Nickoe was a natural playmaker back there. He would deliver punsishing hits and make great breaks on a lot of passes until the injuries took their toll.

And agree with coach, since I don't even see us even attempting to jump underneath routes I have to assume we're coaching them not to do that.

The days of big hitters in the secondary are over. For one, we have all the rule changes for player safety and the risk of being ejected for targeting. But also, teams are now looking for safeties with corner skills. The premium is on coverage ability. Just look at Saban. He's moved 2 former corners to safety and it has made a big difference.

msstate7
10-19-2015, 02:09 PM
I know we jumped one short route. Was it calhoun that almost picked one off?

TrapGame
10-19-2015, 02:10 PM
We have one of the highest ranked defenses in the country right now. Defense is not an issue.

We rank 22 in scoring, but more importantly we are ranked 19th in "adjusted" defense according to adjustedstats.com which actually takes into account who've you've played.

Hey Sleepy it's telling me there is no 2015 data for MSU.

sleepy dawg
10-19-2015, 02:16 PM
Hey Sleepy it's telling me there is no 2015 data for MSU.

For some reason it is leaving the period off the end of the link when you click it. Add the period to the end of the link after you click it.

BB30
10-19-2015, 02:56 PM
I agree has played well enough that we have had a chance to win every game we have played. This day in age allowing 20-24 points should give you a shot every game. I have been impressed the last two weeks with the defense. I also think we will match up better with Alabama defensively. If we can make Coker beat us we will have a chance. He might very well beat us but I think that gives us a chance to win.

Prediction? Pain.
10-19-2015, 03:07 PM

Depends on which adjusted stats you're looking at. We're currently 56th nationally in the S&P+ defense rankings (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaadef), which is good for 11th in the SEC. We're good at some things, not-so-good at other things. I do agree, though, that in our loses (especially LSU), the offense has been a bigger problem.

msstate7
10-19-2015, 03:22 PM
Depends on which adjusted stats you're looking at. We're currently 56th nationally in the S&P+ defense rankings (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaadef), which is good for 11th in the SEC. We're good at some things, not-so-good at other things. I do agree, though, that in our loses (especially LSU), the offense has been a bigger problem.

That has Louisiana tech ahead of us. La tech has given up 28.8 points a game. We've given up 18.0 a game and played 3 sec teams with a combined record of 15-3 and 2 OOC teams (usm and la tech) with a good offense. I think that site needs some tweaking