PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question

archdog
10-18-2015, 10:10 PM
Never really paid attention, but the holder for a field goal have to keep their knee off the turf?

archdog
10-18-2015, 10:12 PM
Cause LSUs holder not only caught the snap last night with his knee on the ground, but pivoted on that knee and made a completion from said knee. I would assume that should have been called down the second the holder caught the ball.

Pinto
10-18-2015, 10:15 PM
Legal play. Holder by rule can have knee on ground even on a fake.

ShotgunDawg
10-18-2015, 10:16 PM
Cause LSUs holder not only caught the snap last night with his knee on the ground, but pivoted on that knee and made a completion from said knee. I would assume that should have been called down the second the holder caught the ball.

The holder can keep his knee on the ground & the ball not be dead. It's the only way to kick field goals. From that position, he can run, pass, fumble, etc..

However, once his knee leaves the ground, the normal rules of football apply

TheRef
10-19-2015, 08:37 AM
The holder can keep his knee on the ground & the ball not be dead. It's the only way to kick field goals. From that position, he can run, pass, fumble, etc..

However, once his knee leaves the ground, the normal rules of football apply

Correct. The holder may do whatever he wants to the ball while his knee is on the ground. If he were to get up, then kneel back down, then he would be called down.

archdog
10-19-2015, 04:08 PM
It would interesting to look back at that play again and see if he ever picked his knee up. I don't think he did.

Homedawg
10-19-2015, 05:05 PM
It would interesting to look back at that play again and see if he ever picked his knee up. I don't think he did.

It doesn't matter, unless he picked his knee up and put it back on the ground before he got rid of the ball.