PDA

View Full Version : Fall Baseball

bulldogcountry1
10-18-2015, 08:30 PM
I took in some scrimmage this week, so I am now a certified expert.

-Hudson is a beast.

-We led off an inning with a single and proceeded to bunt him over, so, evidently, that's not going away.

-Zinn looks like he's going to be a good player. When we signed him, I recall his resume not being that impressive.

-Looks like we are in good shape at catcher. Morerro looks like a guy who's been around a while, Kruger seems to have a good bat, and Lovelady gives good depth.

-Notice I didn't mention Collins there? Cohen says he's still going to catch. He's still nursing that hand injury, so it's not like he's been working on his defense for the last 9 months. I just don't see a scenario where he would beat out all the guys above. Maybe he still projects as a catcher in the pros, and Cohen wants to help his draft potential.

-Humpreys pitched yesterday. I really don't know what to think of that. I struggle to find a reason how that would be goog for us.

-I haven't seen cumulative stats, but it seems as if our projected starters did well and our offense was able to do well enough at times against the lower half of the pitching staff. I guess that's about best case for scrimmages.

Taog Redloh
10-18-2015, 09:08 PM
I went out there Saturday. I don't take anything from it except the actual plays, because we all know Cohen is gonna Cohen. But yes, like you, the biggest takeaway I saw is that we have definitely found a catcher. Dude almost hosed Robson and the call could have gone either way.

Humphreys was a good pitcher in HS before he had TJ, so don't rule him out. We really need to find a closer.

Political Hack
10-18-2015, 09:45 PM
We won't know the rotation until SEC play starts. It's damn near impossible to predict a starting line up or rotation with Cohen as HC.

CarolinaDawgs
10-18-2015, 10:05 PM
We won't know the rotation until SEC play starts. It's damn near impossible to predict a starting line up or rotation with Cohen as HC.

There is no real starting lineup with Cohen out there changing it with every breath he takes.

If Humphreys and Rooker aren't batting 3-4 for the entire season in the lineup I give up. Its about as easy as it gets at those 2 spots.

Todd4State
10-18-2015, 10:07 PM
There is no real starting lineup with Cohen out there changing it with every breath he takes.

If Humphreys and Rooker aren't batting 3-4 for the entire season in the lineup I give up. Its about as easy as it gets at those 2 spots.

I want Humphreys batting lower in the lineup personally. Let Collins and Rooker hit 3 and 4. Maybe Lowe.

Pinto
10-18-2015, 10:09 PM
No update on bats?? #comeonman

CarolinaDawgs
10-18-2015, 10:10 PM
I want Humphreys batting lower in the lineup personally. Let Collins and Rooker hit 3 and 4. Maybe Lowe.

So he can see more fastballs? Collins at 5 will do just fine.

Homedawg
10-19-2015, 07:27 AM

Until hump shows me he can hit, he doesn't need to be anywhere near the top of the order. Maybe he makes a huge jump. But. Up to this point he's a platoon player at best for me. And only a dh at that.

bulldogcountry1
10-19-2015, 07:29 AM
The bats definitely sounded more lively. The wind was blowing in from left, but Marrero and Zinn managed to rope deep doubles into the teeth of it. That's about all that really stood out to me, offensively.

This is really the year where Cohen HAS to show us some offense. We've got livelier balls and livelier bats (the fall HR numbers support that). We've got bigger guys that are capable, so it's time to start seeing results. If the season starts, and we have eight 5'10' 165 pound punching Judys in the lineup, then we have big problems.

Oh, and what's with the stripes in the outfield? I'm sure it's some way for Cohen to over-complicate things.

Coach34
10-19-2015, 07:31 AM
No way Hump needs to bat higher than 6th or 7th- and should probably platoon

bulldogcountry1
10-19-2015, 07:37 AM
Until hump shows me he can hit, he doesn't need to be anywhere near the top of the order. Maybe he makes a huge jump. But. Up to this point he's a platoon player at best for me. And only a dh at that.

Agreed. He manages to run into one from time to time, and that's about it. I've seen nothing from him in his time here that tells me he should be an everyday player. Heck, he's a junior and I don't even know where he plays. He didn't have a good summer and hasn't had a good fall. Cohen still seems to have a lot of confidence in him. I guess that's all that matters in the end.

State82
10-19-2015, 07:46 AM

Yes. I really hope it clicks for him in the spring but right now I'm not convinced either.

engie
10-19-2015, 08:13 AM
I dunno why people are concerned about tinkering right now. Let's be real -- Robson is the only position player we have that's locked into a starting spot. There are battles that, if the "best guy wins" could go either way everywhere else on the field...

shoeless joe
10-19-2015, 08:27 AM
Interesting to hear that about zinn. I saw him play last yr and was thoroughly unimpressed. He obviously had the tools but didn't jump out like one would think an SEC caliber player would. Then again, he may be a guy who's motivation is only as high as the talent around him...happens a lot in baseball...so I hope he steps up and surprises me.

ScottH
10-19-2015, 08:49 AM
Interesting to hear that about zinn. I saw him play last yr and was thoroughly unimpressed. He obviously had the tools but didn't jump out like one would think an SEC caliber player would. Then again, he may be a guy who's motivation is only as high as the talent around him...happens a lot in baseball...so I hope he steps up and surprises me.

Zinn was a headscratcher to me considering the rest of the class on paper.

However I got the story on Zinn from a scout sitting next to me at a scrimmage.

He was apparently a great athlete in high school that played but never focused on baseball. He is for the first time concentrating on baseball. He is only going to get better and better. Will end up being a steal.

MsStateBaseball
10-19-2015, 10:06 AM
The stripes indicate what zone the hit is in for stats tracking.

My post fall batting lineup regarding Hump is:

3rd: Collins C/3B
4th: Rooker RF/DH
5th: Kruger DH/C
6th: Hump LF/DH
7th: Lowe 1B

As you can see Hump won't be worried with him being the only HR guy. I think he gets lots of pitches to hit. Kruger should be the every day bat. When Collins plays 3B Reynolds is in LF, Kruger at C, Hump at DH.

Lots of scenarios but the gist of it is, he won't feel the pressure to be the big bat like last year.

I'm doing my post fall write up at the end of the week.

bulldogcountry1
10-19-2015, 10:11 AM
Also, a dozen or so player have plain maroon hats with no logo. Someone had said a while back that players had to earn it. That's fair enough, but I found it interesting who had them and who didn't. Many of your true freshmen already had theirs, but Zach Houston didn't. Is he in the doghouse or something?

MsStateBaseball
10-19-2015, 10:30 AM
It's prob not based solely on play, workout, lifting weights and grades may factor in.

Taog Redloh
10-19-2015, 11:01 AM
I think Gordon is ahead of Lowe at 1B at this point. Maybe not. Lowe has hit pretty well.

smootness
10-19-2015, 11:03 AM
The stripes indicate what zone the hit is in for stats tracking.

My post fall batting lineup regarding Hump is:

3rd: Collins C/3B
4th: Rooker RF/DH
5th: Kruger DH/C
6th: Hump LF/DH
7th: Lowe 1B

As you can see Hump won't be worried with him being the only HR guy. I think he gets lots of pitches to hit. Kruger should be the every day bat. When Collins plays 3B Reynolds is in LF, Kruger at C, Hump at DH.

Lots of scenarios but the gist of it is, he won't feel the pressure to be the big bat like last year.

I'm doing my post fall write up at the end of the week.

Who is Kruger?

preachermatt83
10-19-2015, 11:04 AM
Merrero better start at Catcher. Period.

Backwoodsdawg
10-19-2015, 11:13 AM

Yeah Zinn only had about 3 or 4 hits the entire fall until the world series started and I believe he had 5 or so in it and none of them were hit hard they just found a piece of grass where no one was standing at the time. Good athlete and nice kid just has a lot of work to do to become a "RELIABLE" baseball player! Several of the other freshman were very impressive in the infield and on the mound though. Some of the so called veterans have a serious battle on their hands if they want to play come spring time because from what I saw from a production standpoint this entire fall the freshman lead the pack in a lot of the stats! Cohen and company are going to have a fun time making decisions this year, but if they make the right ones from a makeup stand point and not just a because they've been here stand point we could win a lot of games.

Taog Redloh
10-19-2015, 11:16 AM
Merrero better start at Catcher. Period.
Agree but Cohen gonna Cohen. I fully expect Lovelady to start on opening day.

MsStateBaseball
10-19-2015, 11:31 AM
Kruger is from Callabasas CA. Signed w Oregon out of HS, played 1 year went to JUCO. PG rating was not high but he comes from huge state so he may have been overlooked. Gene says Marrero and Collins are ahead of him catching wise. But he can hit so DH for him. I would love for him to play 3B in 2017.

MsStateBaseball
10-19-2015, 11:33 AM
Marrero will start a lot. He will play every game. He has smashed the ball from both left and right so he is the pinch hitter taking over behind the plate dude.

MsStateBaseball
10-19-2015, 11:36 AM
Zinn will be good and play a lot in 2016 but against SEC pitching I'll go with John Holland. Zinn can start in 2017.

Homedawg
10-19-2015, 11:38 AM
Zinn will be good and play a lot in 2016 but against SEC pitching I'll go with John Holland. Zinn can start in 2017.

Zinn is going to play a lot in 2016???? We have holland, gridley, Alexander and Stovall all ahead of him. Now explain how he's going to play a lot? Hell any.

MsStateBaseball
10-19-2015, 11:39 AM
By April, you will see Luke Alexander play more even start in SEC over Gridley. He's done good against our pitching but he needs experience. I can see Hunter Stovall playing 3B late in games too.

MsStateBaseball
10-19-2015, 11:41 AM
Yes Zinn will play late in games to gain experience. Holland gets banged up like he did last year.

MsStateBaseball
10-19-2015, 11:48 AM
We need Stovall at 3B more than 2B. I think that's his spot.

When a player is likely to be here just 3 years then you have to play him his first year. These freshmen will get better by February.

Taog Redloh
10-19-2015, 11:49 AM
I think we will see a lot of the JUCO guys redshirt in preparation for starting next year, then being feature players in 2018. Barfield, Lowe, Kruger.....those guys are good players I just don't know if there is a spot for them now. I certainly don't want to see them transfer.

We are going to be good this season, but it's scary to think about how great we could be in late 2017 and 2018 if we manage the roster right.

MsStateBaseball
10-19-2015, 11:53 AM
Dude, those guys won't redshirt. Maybe bLake Smith and/or Barfield but I doubt it.

Taog Redloh
10-19-2015, 11:56 AM
See, the thing is, I say 'maybe' and you say definitive statements. You are going off the same things I am going off of, which is summer leagues, scrimmages, and what coaches say. Might want to hold off on saying what will for sure happen because I believe it's been proven that we don't know.....at all.

MsStateBaseball
10-19-2015, 12:04 PM
People look to me for my opinion bc I've seen so many teams over the years. I'm a fanatic that reads all the articles, interviews etc plus I know baseball. Some people don't like what I say, so what. I'm giving my opinion. I give my points.