View Full Version : How we could plausibly still end up in Atlanta

Quaoarsking
10-18-2015, 10:06 AM
October 24: Texas A&M at Ole Miss
November 7: LSU at Alabama
November 14: Alabama at Mississippi State
November 21: LSU at Ole Miss
November 28: Ole Miss at Mississippi State

Nothing too outlandish here. Just need the five home teams to win and we probably go to Atlanta. Obviously we can't lose to Kentucky, Missouri, or Arkansas either.

If all 5 of us win out, aside from the above games, we'll see standings like this:
6-2 Mississippi State
6-2 Ole Miss
6-2 Alabama
6-2 LSU/Texas A&M winner (doesn't matter which)
5-3 LSU/Texas A&M loser (doesn't matter which)

We would be 2-1 against the 4-way tie, as would Ole Miss, while Alabama and the other team are 1-2. Our head-to-head win over Ole Miss sends us to Atlanta. Not nearly as much of a longshot as you might think.

One problem here is that Ole Miss blows and can't be relied on to beat LSU or Texas A&M, which we need. Maybe Arkansas could beat LSU and Auburn could beat Texas A&M, but it's still better to have Ole Miss be 6-2 to help us in the tiebreak.

A 3-way tie could work out for us too: According to the SEC website (http://www.secsports.com/article/11145479/sec-divisional-tie-breaker), a three-way tie in which the three-teams went 1-1 against each other and have the same division record, the tie goes to whosever East opponents have the best conference record:

LSU - South Carolina and Florida
Alabama - Tennessee and Georgia
MSU - Missouri and Kentucky
Texas A&M - Vanderbilt and South Carolina
Ole Miss - Florida and Vanderbilt
At least neither of our opponents is likely to go 0-8/1-7 like SC and Vandy, but it would be razor-close in any possible matchup. It might help just a little for Texas A&M to beat LSU and end up in the 3-way tie, because their East opponents could be 1-15 combined. If 2 of the 3 teams tie in this method, then it reverts back to head-to-head, so I could see us possibly winning a 3-way 6-2 tie with Alabama and Texas A&M, for example.

QuadrupleOption
10-18-2015, 10:21 AM
Bama is by far our toughest game left, and I just don't think we're good enough to beat them. Mizzou is also going to be a tough game because their defense is good. I think that one may end up as a 10-6 type affair.

Schultzy
10-18-2015, 10:27 AM
I like knowing the scenarios, thanks for putting this together.

Saltydog
10-18-2015, 10:59 AM
I can appreciate the optimism but I can make this very simple for everyone. We aren't going to Atlanta. Ain't happening, no how no way.

Bully13
10-18-2015, 11:11 AM
Bama, A&M, & LSU are all better than we are at this juncture. too much change has to take place with all 4 in order for us to have a shot.

NCDawg
10-18-2015, 11:15 AM
It is an interesting scenario, and possibly could happen. I think Ole Miss is capable of beating Texas A&M and LSU in Oxford, and I think Alabama will probably beat LSU in Tuscaloosa. Not sure we can beat Alabama, though. Plus, we would have to beat Missouri and Arkansas there. If we did that, and the scenarios panned out, think of the electricity that would be at the State-Ole Miss game. I remember the atmosphere at the Ole Miss-State game in Oxford in '98, when we beat them to wrap up the SECW.

Pinto
10-18-2015, 11:17 AM
Forget it man Wormer dropped the big one.

Pollodawg
10-18-2015, 11:19 AM
It's a nice dream, but I believe it's only ice cream at this point. The best we can do is focus on winning the ones we should, UK, Mizzou, OM, and Arkansas. That would put as at 9-3 in the regular season and back-to-back ten win seasons is pretty awesome I have to admit.

dogshiek
10-18-2015, 11:22 AM
Just win! The rest of them look winnable to me. We've got to find a way to run the ball though. LSU is going is to lose their rabbit's foot (or eat it) somewhere down the road.

GreenheadDawg
10-18-2015, 11:23 AM
I can appreciate the optimism but I can make this very simple for everyone. We aren't going to Atlanta. Ain't happening, no how no way.

+ infinity. I'm as big of a state fan as anybody but we aren't Atlanta good. That's just the truth

Schultzy
10-18-2015, 11:29 AM

Your ability to be objective is mind boggling, what a high minded and sober thought process you have. Why anyone would keep up with the math on this SEC Western division race when we might be 7-2 going into the Bama game at home?*

The odds might not be great at this point but it is certainly worth keeping up with.

Saltydog
10-18-2015, 11:58 AM
in the house. I bet you and Gene are BFF's, huh?

http://i60.tinypic.com/33ccgpc.jpg

Behrdawg
10-18-2015, 12:06 PM
How could we make it? Not shit the bed in the LSU game.