PDA

View Full Version : OT. Any Rhodesian Ridgeback owners here?

RougeDawg
10-18-2015, 02:21 AM
My last dog passed almost 3 years ago (Jan 24, 2012) and work/Home commitments have prevented me from getting a new dog. Selecting a dog is a multi year commitment and never easy. Having said that I've "Dog sat" a 2 yr old ridgeback who was no trouble and easy to take care of. 3 weeks might I add. He had an easy going demeanor with anyone we saw on walks, but would bark loudly and regularly at night. Not a bad thing. I live on a well traveled intersection in New Orleans and every person we saw respected him. They are huge dogs and a nice deterrent to crime.

That being said, do any of you have similar experiences with these majestic dogs? I loved the demeanor as I took care of him and am seriously considering purchasing one in the spring. Pleas share your thoughts as they are always welcome.

Joe Schmedlap
10-18-2015, 06:42 AM
Awesome dogs, but you had better have plenty of time daily to train the dog for the first 9-12 months or so. They are very intelligent but also can be head strong. They need a lot of exercise, especially in the puppy stage. They are beautiful dogs as you already know and very hardy. That old sales pitch that "nothing runs like a Deere" was written by someone who obviously never witnessed a Ridgeback in motion.

civildawg
10-18-2015, 07:34 AM
Very active dogs. Also if your heart is set on a purebred, try to find a ridgeback rescue and don't shop for a dog. They might have a one or two year old that's out of the puppy stage