PDA

View Full Version : Mullen v. Freeze as a football coach

chef dixon
10-17-2015, 10:30 PM
Is basically night and day. I hope that after witnessing the Freeze shit show in Memphis today that you can come away with an appreciation of how good of a coach Dan Mullen is. You don't have to like all his seniority personnel decisions or level of recruiting, but the guy knows what he's doing when it comes to X's and O's. Sometimes its not always clear to see that until you see the opposite. Freeze is a guy who is yet to adapt from his first game in Oxford. He's definitely upgraded the talent, but they are still winning and losing the exact same way as when he got there. He is still running the same gimmicks and doing it repeatedly although the results are screaming for adjustments.

TUSK
10-17-2015, 10:33 PM
I kinda look at it this way... First, and foremost, once you have your program established, ya can't lose to teams you should dominate....

ever, ever, ever...

that's rule #1.

Todd4State
10-17-2015, 10:34 PM
I don't think either are exactly Knute Rockne.

Statefan
10-17-2015, 10:34 PM
One develops talent

One can get it on campus and from there just wings it

ckDOG
10-17-2015, 10:38 PM
Freeze calls plays like he's on the playstation.

Mullen thinks football is a damn differential equations class.

Both have some things to learn, but I would* trade our Mullenz for their Freezus.

*Edit - Wouldn't trade**

**im drunk

Liverpooldawg
10-17-2015, 10:39 PM
From a player's perspective I'd say that Mullen rarely if ever thows his players under the bus when he loses. Freeze ALWAYS does. I would also take notice that Freeze got a sure fire 1st round NFL draft pick as a defensive tackle hurt playing on offense. That is a total Jr. High bull crap stunt that could have cost the player millions.

Todd4State
10-17-2015, 10:41 PM
Freeze can get it on campus if he has a network paying out the wazzu. I'm willing to bet at least 85% of their team doesn't even buy his schtick- they're at Ole Miss because it was a "business decision."

Dawg496
10-17-2015, 10:41 PM
Has Mullen ever been blown out by an unranked opponent?

Has Mullen ever lost a game favored by 10?

Has any team ever with 4+ first round picks lost to an unranked team?

shoeless joe
10-17-2015, 10:42 PM
Both have done things at their schools that isn't common...or easy.

Hugh is a very good recruiter and outstanding with the media about projecting the image of his program. Mullen is a great evaluator and is terrible, but getting better, with the media.

All in all they are good coach's and both fit in and represent quite well what their schools are about.

Liverpooldawg
10-17-2015, 10:43 PM
I'd also say to those of you who are trying to lump Mullen in with Freeze, you need to examine where your loyalties lie. Don't let your agenda with our coach cloud where your true loyalty is. If you do........well.

Todd4State
10-17-2015, 10:47 PM
I will say that I think Dan is more likely to build something sustainable. Freeze is more likely to leave you on probation after a good season or two relatively speaking.

Beaver
10-17-2015, 10:47 PM
Freeze is a hypocrite. Mullen isn't. Both are stubborn. Mullen develops players (mostly QBs) well. Freeze generally doesn't. Freeze would rather hang 70 on crappy teams than address the teams' problems. Mullen often coaches down to the competition, but hardly ever loses games he's supposed to win. Freeze is a better regional recruiter, Mullen a better in-state recruiter. Mullen has a better eye for talent, but Freeze is better at signing 4&5 $tar guy$. Mullen looks like a yankee. Freeze looks like a beaver.

chef dixon
10-17-2015, 10:49 PM

Our 2nd half game plan against LSU was an excellent adjustment. Freeze would do the same thing he did that started getting him blown out from the start. Mullen for the most part has eliminated both the blowout and loss to inferior opponent which is huge at MSU.

Another thing about Freezes go to scheme is it is basically slowly turning Chad Kelly into Bo Wallace although the ability is clearly an upgrade. Freeze hasn't changed a damn thing.

I just think it's gotten pretty easy to criticize Mullen and lose appreciation for his work.

ShotgunDawg
10-17-2015, 10:54 PM
David H Murray ‏@DawgsBiteMag 1h1 hour ago
Mississippi State has won the last 16 meetings with unranked opponents.

ScottH
10-17-2015, 11:07 PM
Has Mullen ever lost one he was "supposed to win".

Todd4State
10-17-2015, 11:11 PM
Our 2nd half game plan against LSU was an excellent adjustment. Freeze would do the same thing he did that started getting him blown out from the start. Mullen for the most part has eliminated both the blowout and loss to inferior opponent which is huge at MSU.

Another thing about Freezes go to scheme is it is basically slowly turning Chad Kelly into Bo Wallace although the ability is clearly an upgrade. Freeze hasn't changed a damn thing.

I just think it's gotten pretty easy to criticize Mullen and lose appreciation for his work.

And ultimately his roster management and fourth quarter management were the difference. That's hard to overlook objectively. We do beat the people we are supposed to, but we also rarely get perception wins and even when we do get them it's not as impressive as it should have been because Dan will do something illogical like take his starters out too soon.

ShotgunDawg
10-17-2015, 11:14 PM

Yes

GT last year
OM last year
OM 3 years ago
Houston is his 1st or 2nd year
Northwestern in the Gator Bowl
Auburn when Relf was tackled at the 1

I'm sure there are one or two more, but that's all I've got right now

Liverpooldawg
10-17-2015, 11:17 PM
Yes

GT last year
OM last year
OM 3 years ago

I notice those are all to pretty good teams.

ShotgunDawg
10-17-2015, 11:18 PM
I notice those are all to pretty good teams.

Agree. Mullen has never really shit the bed, but he has lost games that he "should" have won.

Mullen has only lost to capable teams. MSU has never had a disaster under him

TXDawg
10-17-2015, 11:19 PM

Houston 2009, but that was more on the refs than on Mullen.

TimberBeast
10-17-2015, 11:21 PM
Freeze is an idiot who will leave Mississippi on probation, I'm not worried about him. My problem with Mullenis that he does some things so well, but some things so badly. I feel bad for him because if he could get over some stubbornness and learn a couple small things, like just running the clock down, that's small and simple, I really think he could be on a tier under Saban, Meyer, what Harbaugh will be, etc. He's outstanding at 85% of running the team, but the other 15% will never let him be truly great unless he can get out of his own way. Like someone said a few weeks ago, Mullen is Miles. I think miles finally figured it out this year (and that is with off the chart talent at RB). I hope Mullen gets it all figured out one day and I hope he's still here when he does.

Homedawg
10-17-2015, 11:23 PM

Fair enough, tony Larussa.

TXDawg
10-17-2015, 11:37 PM
Freeze is an idiot who will leave Mississippi on probation, I'm not worried about him. My problem with Mullenis that he does some things so well, but some things so badly. I feel bad for him because if he could get over some stubbornness and learn a couple small things, like just running the clock down, that's small and simple, I really think he could be on a tier under Saban, Meyer, what Harbaugh will be, etc. He's outstanding at 85% of running the team, but the other 15% will never let him be truly great unless he can get out of his own way. Like someone said a few weeks ago, Mullen is Miles. I think miles finally figured it out this year (and that is with off the chart talent at RB). I hope Mullen gets it all figured out one day and I hope he's still here when he does.

Say what you want about Mullen's bone-headed decisions (LSU this year and last come quickly to mind), but his management of the end of the first half was some of his best game/clock management in his career. Calling for the punt block when we had them pinned, then using the TO's to try to make them have to punt again are both calls that he's never made before.

Hopefully that's an indication that he's learning and making adjustments regarding himself.

RougeDawg
10-18-2015, 12:23 AM
From a player's perspective I'd say that Mullen rarely if ever thows his players under the bus when he loses. Freeze ALWAYS does. I would also take notice that Freeze got a sure fire 1st round NFL draft pick as a defensive tackle hurt playing on offense. That is a total Jr. High bull crap stunt that could have cost the player millions.

You are correct that Dan never throws anyone under they bus. His biggest problem is not playing the more talented underclassmen early and often. Bucky is better at that.

shannondawg
10-18-2015, 05:54 AM
It appears from your posts, not just this one, you are unhappy with Mullen, just who would you like in his place, considering that he would come, and two, that money is indeed a factor?

And ultimately his roster management and fourth quarter management were the difference. That's hard to overlook objectively. We do beat the people we are supposed to, but we also rarely get perception wins and even when we do get them it's not as impressive as it should have been because Dan will do something illogical like take his starters out too soon.

Maroonthirteen
10-18-2015, 06:05 AM
Mullen thinks football is a damn differential equations class. nk

That's funny!

Mullen is the best. I Wouldn't trade him either. But that is funny.

Maroonthirteen
10-18-2015, 06:12 AM
Both have done things at their schools that isn't common...or easy.

Hugh is a very good recruiter and outstanding with the media about projecting the image of his program. Mullen is a great evaluator and is terrible, but getting better, with the media.

Mullen does a better job with the media considering the situations of the programs. MSU doesn't have "Homer" media. OM does and has a journalism school.

Example this weekend: A Memphis fox 13 reporter made a long FB post about what a wonderful man Hugh is for congratulating MemQB Lynch after the game.

Mullen did the same with Driskell....I haven't seen anything from the media praising Mullen for the exact same jesture.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
10-18-2015, 07:29 AM
U

^^^^THIS^^^^^

Ten years ago, had we been down two scores early, we would have been the been on the losing end of 45-20.

BrunswickDawg
10-18-2015, 07:53 AM
U

^^^^THIS^^^^^

Ten years ago, had we been down two scores early, we would have been the been on the losing end of 45-20.
That score gives Woody McCorvey too much credit. Would have been 45-10

DownwardDawg
10-18-2015, 07:56 AM
Yes

GT last year
OM last year
OM 3 years ago

I think Houston was ranked in the top 15 and favored. I'm pretty sure. We were NOT supposed to win that one.

Tbonewannabe
10-18-2015, 08:16 AM
Houston 2009, but that was more on the refs than on Mullen.

Well Houston did win 10 games and had a QB that has started in the NFL. In Mullen's first year I am not sure if that is a game that is a given W. At best that is a toss up.

HSVDawg
10-18-2015, 10:00 AM
I think Houston was ranked in the top 15 and favored. I'm pretty sure. We were NOT supposed to win that one.

Correct, not to mention that was the biggest officiating sham since BYU in 2001. The call they made to judge an illegal forward pass by Lee was pitiful. The worst part was that they even reviewed it and STILL got it wrong.

Mullen deserves all the credit in the world for us making that one a game, and he should have been rewarded with a victory.

Todd4State
10-18-2015, 10:10 AM
It appears from your posts, not just this one, you are unhappy with Mullen, just who would you like in his place, considering that he would come, and two, that money is indeed a factor?

I'm fine with Dan. All I want him to do is play the most productive players more and not make as many obvious mistakes in big games.

But if Dan left I'd go for Fuente at Memphis and try to keep Manny as DC if possible.

SDDawg
10-18-2015, 10:17 AM
Yes

GT last year
OM last year
OM 3 years ago

A few of these are debatable (as you already know), but I agree with he broader point that he's lost a few games he should have won. Overall though, I think he's delivering results more consistently than Freeze with the talent he has on the field.

tireddawg
10-18-2015, 10:21 AM
I'm fine with Dan. All I want him to do is play the most productive players more and not make as many obvious mistakes in big games.

But if Dan left I'd go for Fuente at Memphis and try to keep Manny as DC if possible.

Doesn't sound like you're totally fine with Dan