PDA

View Full Version : Chris Jones

DudyDawg
10-17-2015, 06:51 PM
Still waiting too see first round production/anything.... hope he can turn it on and end the year like a first rounder.

ShotgunDawg
10-17-2015, 06:53 PM
Still waiting too see first round production/anything.... hope he can turn it on and end the year like a first rounder.

I thought he played awesome today. He was always in the tackle.

I'm not sure what everyone wants from him.

Godzilla through the village?

DudyDawg
10-17-2015, 06:55 PM
I thought he played awesome today. He was always in the tackle.

I'm not sure what everyone wants from him.

Godzilla through the village?

I would like to see him make more plays/be more disruptive. Other than the tip against auburn I can't name any other big plays. Maybe that's on my memory but I can't. I just don't think anyone can honestly say his production has lived up to expectations.

ShotgunDawg
10-17-2015, 06:57 PM
I would like to see him make more plays/be more disruptive. Other than the tip against auburn I can't name any other big plays. Maybe that's on my memory but I can't. I just don't think anyone can honestly say his production has lived up to expectations.

Pretty sure he pitched a tent in Driskell's abdomen today. Even though Jones' stats don't look great, there is a reason we've been getting a pass rush.

cheewgumm
10-17-2015, 06:58 PM
He played really good today. Agree shotgun , it's not like he has free shots at the QB. He's got 2 people to beat.

ShotgunDawg
10-17-2015, 07:03 PM
We don't have Clowney or even Preston Smith this year. How does this happen.

Diaz is one reason, but someone is eating blockers

http://i.imgur.com/M8bxvb0.jpg

Schultzy
10-17-2015, 07:06 PM
He pressured the qb to create the interception against Lsu last year to win that game.

And he occupies two blockers every play.

DudyDawg
10-17-2015, 07:15 PM
I'm not saying he sucks or anything near it. Just don't think he's lived up to expectations. Stats aren't a big deal for a d lineman, that's why I didn't bring them up about him, though I appreciate the spreadsheet. Just think he should be creating much more disruption much more often that's all. I guess you all thought what he's doing is his ceiling?

@shotgun do you think he's lived up to expectations?

DudyDawg
10-17-2015, 07:16 PM
He pressured the qb to create the interception against Lsu last year to win that game.

And he occupies two blockers every play.

You're kidding me..... your go to is that he crested pressure on a hail mary?

Schultzy
10-17-2015, 07:23 PM
Uh, it was kind of a big deal at the time.

Bothrops
10-17-2015, 07:29 PM
Chris Jones probably had his best overall effort today. I thought he played well.

archdog
10-17-2015, 07:33 PM
Chris Jones probably had his best overall effort today. I thought he played well.

Either him, Bryant, or Dak.

RougeDawg
10-17-2015, 07:33 PM
He was unnoticed early in the year but has been turning it on more and more each week. To his defense we did not use him in the most productive fashion. His freshman year our coaching staff treated him like a 3* developmental guy, instead of letting him play. He barely saw snaps early his first year, whereas others of his caliber were playing from snap one of their collegiate careers. The 1A/B bullshit last year also had him on the 1B's and not getting the #1 snaps. When we put our best 4 DLineman (Jones included) in the games last year we wreaked havoc. Scheme has a lot to do with why we haven't seen him produce at a high rate.

The last 2-3 games he has appeared to "Get" our new scheme and he's been playing in the other teams backfield more often than not. If he keeps improving each week like he has, he will be a force for us the rest of the way.

DudyDawg
10-17-2015, 07:40 PM
He was unnoticed early in the year but has been turning it on more and more each week. To his defense we did not use him in the most productive fashion. His freshman year our coaching staff treated him like a 3* developmental guy, instead of letting him play. He barely saw snaps early his first year, whereas others of his caliber were playing from snap one of their collegiate careers. The 1A/B bullshit last year also had him on the 1B's and not getting the #1 snaps. When we put our best 4 DLineman (Jones included) in the games last year we wreaked havoc. Scheme has a lot to do with why we haven't seen him produce at a high rate.

The last 2-3 games he has appeared to "Get" our new scheme and he's been playing in the other teams backfield more often than not. If he keeps improving each week like he has, he will be a force for us the rest of the way.

I do 100% agree that his stats were hurt with 1a1b crap and not playing enough. And I do think he's been better the past few weeks. If it contines, great, but as of now I don't think it's reasonable to say he's lived up to expectations

ShotgunDawg
10-17-2015, 07:41 PM
@shotgun do you think he's lived up to expectations?

I know he's a difference maker on our defense

Expectations are dangerous because the benchmark on which those expectations are based, isn't always fair.

I think the expectations for Jones were that he was going to be the next Fletcher Cox. However, at the time those expectations were created, I'm not sure that anyone knew that Fletcher Cox was going to be one of the top 10 best defensive players in the NFL. Had we known that, we would have realized that expecting Jones to be the next Cox, is rather unfair.

He's a good player & worthy of his 5 star ranking

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-17-2015, 07:42 PM
I love CJ, but every time he lines up at DE it takes him an hour to get off the line. It seems he lacks a first quick step.

DudyDawg
10-17-2015, 07:44 PM
My expectations were that he would be a game changer and I don't think he has been.

DudyDawg
10-17-2015, 07:45 PM
I love CJ, but every time he lines up at DE it takes him an hour to get off the line. It seems he lacks a first quick step.
I hate him at DE. He's a tackle. I don't put that on him

Westdawg
10-17-2015, 07:52 PM
Those of you who think CJ has not lived up to expectations have not watched much this year, nor do you really understand football.
On almost every play that he has been on the field, he has COMMANDED double teams. Opposing coaches don't do that for just run-of-the-mill DTs. And he is STILL making plays in games. There s a reason our DEs have gotten pressure, and it is because Chris is eating up the interior line of our opponents a lot of the time.
Some of you guys need to take Film-Breakdown 101

bulldawg28
10-17-2015, 07:54 PM
Jones is doing outstanding this season. He's the main reason or Defensive ends are producing with more focus inside. People are expecting Fletcher Cox plays which may not happen. However, he's impacted every game.

Percho
10-17-2015, 07:54 PM
The one time I keyed on him today through the bi's he was tripled teamed and still got push.

turkish
10-17-2015, 07:55 PM
I'll be the first to admit I don't *notice* a lot of play in the trenches and disruption a plus d-luneman causes. I often do notice 5 for UNM, but seldom CJ.

DudyDawg
10-17-2015, 07:58 PM
Those of you who think CJ has not lived up to expectations have not watched much this year, nor do you really understand football.
On almost every play that he has been on the field, he has COMMANDED double teams. Opposing coaches don't do that for just run-of-the-mill DTs. And he is STILL making plays in games. There s a reason our DEs have gotten pressure, and it is because Chris is eating up the interior line of our opponents a lot of the time.
Some of you guys need to take Film-Breakdown 101

Lots of guys get doubled every play across the country. Watch Joey bosa tonight. He will still be forcing the qb to move in the pocket or scramble. I just don't think chris does that as much as we thought he would

ShotgunDawg
10-17-2015, 07:58 PM
Jones is doing outstanding this season. He's the main reason or Defensive ends are producing with more focus inside. People are expecting Fletcher Cox plays which may not happen. However, he's impacted every game.

Exactly

Fletcher Cox MAY be one of the 10 best football players on planet Earth. Not fair to compare Jones to that.

Jones had really come on. We are 4th in the SEC in sacks for a reason

ShotgunDawg
10-17-2015, 07:59 PM
Lots of guys get doubled every play across the country. Watch Joey bosa tonight. He will still be forcing the qb to move in the pocket or scramble. I just don't think chris does that as much as we thought he would

Bosa plays defensive end. Those guys have more room to operate in space than an interior lineman.

What DT in the NFL gets pressure on the QB on a consistent basis, other than the aforementioned Fletcher Cox?

DudyDawg
10-17-2015, 07:59 PM
I'll be the first to admit I don't *notice* a lot of play in the trenches and disruption a plus d-luneman causes. I often do notice 5 for UNM, but seldom CJ.

^^^^. That's why I'm not saying he sucks or anything like that, I'm no expert. I don't watch him every play. But his name doesnt come up as much as it should

ShotgunDawg
10-17-2015, 08:02 PM

Well, we are 4th in the SEC in sacks & Ole Miss is 11th. 17 sacks to their 9. Almost twice as many

You may want to *notice* harder

Ole Miss over pursues and runs around like a chicken with it's head caught off. Our guys play more disciplined & within a scheme. Don't take organization for being less disruptive.

DudyDawg
10-17-2015, 08:02 PM
Bosa plays defensive end. Those guys have more room to operate in space than an interior lineman.

What DT in the NFL gets pressure on the QB on a consistent basis, other than the aforementioned Fletcher Cox?

Nkem gets his name called a hell of a lot more for making a qb move. He's a DT right? I'm not saying he needs to have 15 sacks a year to measure up to expectations. Just used Bosa bc the OSU game was on

Dawgcentral
10-17-2015, 08:04 PM
I don't pay as much attention as I should also, but I know the front is coached to play as a unit. Others along the front benefit from attention paid to Chris at times, and I saw plenty of pressure when one crashed the line and others came in afterward to pressure the QB. Even when they didn't get a hand on him the pressure was there.

ShotgunDawg
10-17-2015, 08:06 PM
Nkem gets his name called a hell of a lot more for making a qb move. He's a DT right? I'm not saying he needs to have 15 sacks a year to measure up to expectations. Just used Bosa bc the OSU game was on

Kemchee is also getting ready to possibly be the number 1 overall pick in the draft.

Not leaving CJ much room for error.

Again, we are 4th in the SEC in sacks & Ole Miss is 11th

Dawg61
10-17-2015, 08:08 PM
CJ eats up two blocks every play. That's a big impact on every play. You just want sacks and fumbles but that's not realistic when he's eating two defenders. AJ and Ryan Brown get to feast on 1v1's because Chris does the dirty work.

Coach34
10-17-2015, 08:09 PM
Chris is 1st round in spurts- 3rd round 2/3 of his other plays...but he has been good

DudyDawg
10-17-2015, 08:13 PM
You just want sacks and fumbles but that's not realistic when he's eating two defenders.

Please quote anything in here about me or anyone wanting better stats.

confucius say
10-17-2015, 08:21 PM
Kemchee is also getting ready to possibly be the number 1 overall pick in the draft.

Not leaving CJ much room for error.

Again, we are 4th in the SEC in sacks & Ole Miss is 11th

Rk is a great player, no doubt. But to add to your points in this thread, the thing people are missing here is scheme. Om interior dl play is predicated on slanting to gaps and getting penetration. It allows for disruption, but is also why they are traditionally vulnerable against downhill iso type teams. Our interior dl scheme is gap driven and takes up blockers so lb can scrape and make tackles. It is why we traditionally stop the downhill run.

Dawg61
10-17-2015, 08:24 PM
Please quote anything in here about me or anyone wanting better stats.

You've said it multiple times. You want more disruption. He eats two defenders every play. That's major disruption. I think the problem is how you think of disruption not in how Chris is playing. Learn to like Chris freeing up space for AJ and Ryan and you'll see he's more disruptive than you give him credit for.

Coach34
10-17-2015, 08:27 PM
Kimchee and Jones play in different defenses

Kimchee plays in a slanting, get upfield as quickly as possible defense
We run a gap control- dont run upfield defense

Kimchee will obviously have more disruptive plays because he doesnt play gap control defense

DudyDawg
10-17-2015, 08:33 PM
You've said it multiple times. You want more disruption. He eats two defenders every play. That's major disruption. I think the problem is how you think of disruption not in how Chris is playing. Learn to like Chris freeing up space for AJ and Ryan and you'll see he's more disruptive than you give him credit for.

So I said multiple times I want better stats? Please link.

I get that he helps our team. I've said, to quote you, "multiple times" that he hasn't lived up to expectations. Not a damn thing about stats or what he does for the rest of the line. But you, or no one here, can say he's lived up to the top ten draft pick a lot of people said he would be. Not yet. Hope he does.

DudyDawg
10-17-2015, 08:33 PM

Kimchee will obviously have more disruptive plays because he doesnt play gap control defense

Where did you think Chris would go on signing day when we got him? Where do you think he goes now. I'm guessing it's lower.

ShotgunDawg
10-17-2015, 08:36 PM
Where did you think Chris would go on signing day when we got him? Where do you think he goes now. I'm guessing it's lower.

Where did we think Quay Evans would go when we signed him and where do you think he goes now?

As for Chris, I thought he'd be a future 1st rounder, and I still think that's still in play

Be careful how you frame "disappointment". Good players are very very hard to find.

confucius say
10-17-2015, 08:37 PM

This is exactly what I said above, or was trying to say. Maybe it wasn't clear, but c34 is right. It's scheme people.

Coach34
10-17-2015, 08:38 PM

1st round

Today? I think he's a 2nd-3rd round guy. He's still a good SEC DT

turkish
10-17-2015, 08:44 PM

This explains what I was missing a helluva lot better than Shotgun was able to.

ShotgunDawg
10-17-2015, 08:49 PM
This explains what I was missing a helluva lot better than Shotgun was able to.

Sorry, I didn't know which compartment of your brain "lack of football knowledge" was located in

DudyDawg
10-17-2015, 08:52 PM
1st round

I 10,000% agree with that.

But that still means he hasn't lived up. Like I've said about 10 times in this thread, hope he earns that paycheck and those expectations. But he hasn't.

turkish
10-17-2015, 08:54 PM
Sorry, I didn't know which compartment of your brain "lack of football knowledge" was located in

More laughs from the ED sped class. Keep trying, dude.

Dawgology
10-17-2015, 08:57 PM
1st round

He will play in the NFL. Although he will probably jump to the NFL after this season he is one of those that if he stays he can definitely increase his draft stock.

ShotgunDawg
10-17-2015, 09:00 PM
More laughs from the ED sped class. Keep trying, dude.

Are you a Bafoomer?

turkish
10-17-2015, 09:06 PM
Ha. No sir. My only visits to that site are from links from ED.

Dawg61
10-17-2015, 09:11 PM

But that still means he hasn't lived up. Like I've said about 10 times in this thread, hope he earns that paycheck and those expectations. But he hasn't.

Oh man a junior that's going to be a 2nd round draft pick "hasn't lived up". You are something else dude. It's really ****ing difficult to be a 1st round draft pick in the NFL. They don't just give those to defensive TACKLES.

sandwolf
10-17-2015, 09:28 PM
Oh man a junior that's going to be a 2nd round draft pick "hasn't lived up". You are something else dude. It's really ****ing difficult to be a 1st round draft pick in the NFL. They don't just give those to defensive TACKLES.

I think his point is that he hasn't lived up to what everyone thought he would be coming into the season....and seeing as how he was projected to be a lock for the 1st round coming into this season, I don't think that is completely unfair. Because I think it is safe to say that his draft stock has dropped this year.

DudyDawg
10-17-2015, 09:42 PM

So you expected him to go in the second? I sure as hell didn't when he signed.

DudyDawg
10-17-2015, 09:43 PM
I think his point is that he hasn't lived up to what everyone thought he would be coming into the season....and seeing as how he was projected to be a lock for the 1st round coming into this season, I don't think that is completely unfair. Because I think it is safe to say that his draft stock has dropped this year.

Not just first round. Most of our fans said sure top ten. Even coming in to this season.

Dawg61
10-17-2015, 09:48 PM
So you expected him to go in the second? I sure as hell didn't when he signed.

We are MSU not Bama. How many 1st round picks have we ever had? Unless it's Malik Newman I don't expect any MSU athlete to be a 1st round pick right when we sign them. Very few players are locks for the first round as high school seniors. Hell no Chris Jones wasn't a lock his senior year.

Bocephus
10-17-2015, 09:50 PM
1st round

What is sad, he could and should be 1st rd. He sill looks heavy to me, not fat just heavy.

Dawg61
10-17-2015, 09:53 PM
Not just first round. Most of our fans said sure top ten. Even coming in to this season.

Nobody said that. This isn't basketball where 60% of the lottery picks are already known on signing day. Football is far far less accurate since they don't get drafted FOR ANOTHER THREE YEARS!

Dawg61
10-17-2015, 09:55 PM
What is sad, he could and should be 1st rd. He sill looks heavy to me, not fat just heavy.

Lol he's a defensive tackle. He's supposed to be heavy AND FAT! That's like saying Anthony Davis looks tall to you.

Westdawg
10-17-2015, 10:04 PM
Yall do realize that RN basically has two moves - a STRONG bull rush & a good rip/swim - the latter of which he just recently developed ( in three years). He basically is allowed to just blow upfield. There is not much discipline with his play. Make no mistake , he is very talented and warrants some of the attention he gets in media. However, they slant line to create pressure or bull rush the OL. They also have some good stunting and also bring lots of pressure from other areas. But RN does not get nearly the double teams because of how he plays and the defense schemes.

Westdawg
10-17-2015, 10:07 PM

He gets his named called a lot because of the man crush ESPN and media have on him, not for always how great he plays. They call his name a lot on plays where he didn't even create pressure, much less make a play

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-17-2015, 10:09 PM
I just think that his expectations were set by the level of drama around his recruitment and that's not fair to him. He was a raw prospect coming out and had a lot to learn technique wise. He's progressing as he should as far as our program normally goes, but I think we all expected him to jump off the screen....but all that said, he should never line up at DE.

Westdawg
10-17-2015, 10:10 PM

Well, name me five other DTs that will go above him in this draft. Better yet, three.

Coach34
10-17-2015, 10:13 PM

Entering today:

Chris Jones- 24 tackles, 7 solo, 17 Assts...2.5 TFL's
Kimchee- 17 tackles...8 solo, 9 assts...5.5 TFL's

​much more media hype than production

sorrydog
10-17-2015, 10:17 PM
It also seems like his name is a called a lot when in reality about 40% of the time they are referring to his brother.
It all runs together. But I still hate the name.......

DudyDawg
10-18-2015, 02:06 AM
Well, name me five other DTs that will go above him in this draft. Better yet, three.

I cant, mostly because I'm no scout but I did see the ESPN bottom line for the top 5 picks of every position today. Can't name all 5 DTs listed, but RK was 2 and CJ wasn't there.

DudyDawg
10-18-2015, 02:11 AM
Nobody said that. This isn't basketball where 60% of the lottery picks are already known on signing day. Football is far far less accurate since they don't get drafted FOR ANOTHER THREE YEARS!

Really dude. No one said Chris Jones would go first round on signing day?? No one said he would go first round pre season? Haha hahahahah get the **** out with that. Go find a preseason thread and I promise it'll say he's a first rounder for sure 3 year guy. Just like coach said, he's a good SEC DT, but he hasn't been the star we thought he would be. Whether that's bc of unrealistic expectations or what, he hasn't lived up.

DudyDawg
10-18-2015, 02:14 AM
Nobody said that.

You're kidding.

Todd4State
10-18-2015, 02:21 AM
Entering today:

Chris Jones- 24 tackles, 7 solo, 17 Assts...2.5 TFL's
Kimchee- 17 tackles...8 solo, 9 assts...5.5 TFL's

​much more media hype than production

Yeah but how many rushing yards does Chris Jones have?**

State82