PDA

View Full Version : I'm not sure people realize...

CadaverDawg
10-17-2015, 03:45 PM
The crossroads we were at when that game was 14-0 today. A team with no heart and no unity, would have folded and it could have gotten ugly. It could have been a turning point of the Mullen tenure. I don't know that I've ever been more proud of Mullen in all of his wins, than I was today....because he rallied the troops, put the young RB's in, and orchestrated an answering TD drive that may have saved our season.

Hats off to Mullen, Manny, and the team for not questioning themselves, sticking together, and getting it figured out for a blowout win. I literally saw flashes of a Sherrill-esque style turning point (when we lost to USC and looked uninspired and like we didn't care)...but our guys were having none of it. We rallied, we beat ass, and I truly think the rough start today may end up being what propels us going forward. Because we seemed to have found something and learned a ton...both players AND coaches..about ourselves.

I am reenergized about our season thanks to what I saw today. La Tech is a solid team...everything that we did after 14-0 was down right impressive.

Hail Damn State

DownwardDawg
10-17-2015, 03:47 PM
The crossroads we were at when that game was 14-0 today. A team with no heart and no unity, would have folded and it could have gotten ugly. It could have been a turning point of the Mullen tenure. I don't know that I've ever been more proud of Mullen in all of his wins, than I was today....because he rallied the troops, put the young RB's in, and orchestrated an answering TD drive that may have saved our season.

Hats off to Mullen, Manny, and the team for not questioning themselves, sticking together, and getting it figured out for a blowout win. I literally saw flashes of a Sherrill-esque style turning point (when we lost to USC and looked uninspired and like we didn't care)...but our guys were having none of it. We rallied, we beat ass, and I truly think the rough start today may end up being what propels us going forward. Because we seemed to have found something and learned a ton...both players AND coaches..about ourselves.

I am reenergized about our season thanks to what I saw today. La Tech is a solid team...everything that we did after 14-0 was down right impressive.

Hail Damn State

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CadaverDawg again.

Liverpooldawg
10-17-2015, 03:47 PM
I totally agree with that post. That may be a first! You could feel exactly what you were talking about in the stadium. I posted this elsewhere but I never did hear why Shumpert east playing. I'm sure it's out there and I just haven't seen it. What gives? I'm not complaining by the way, FAR from it.

ShotgunDawg
10-17-2015, 03:50 PM
Great post Cadaver

I agree completely. Team's that don't have some coconuts, fold right there.

We learned as much about our team today as we have in any game all year.

The key is to build on this for the next two weeks & start playing like a top 15 team

Liverpooldawg
10-17-2015, 03:52 PM
I totally agree with that post. That may be a first! You could feel exactly what you were talking about in the stadium. I posted this elsewhere but I never did hear why Shumpert east playing. I'm sure it's out there and I just haven't seen it. What gives? I'm not complaining by the way, FAR from it.

Just saw about Shumpert in the other thread. Thanks!

Harrydawg
10-17-2015, 03:56 PM
Great post! Well said!

BeardoMSU
10-17-2015, 04:05 PM

Hail Damn State

Well ****ing said, Cadaver!!!!

CadaverDawg
10-17-2015, 04:41 PM
Is Ross ok?

chainedup_Dawg
10-17-2015, 04:53 PM
Is Ross ok?

I don't remember seeing him come back in but i did see him come running back out from the locker room with helmet on and ready

ETA i don't remember seeing Walley again. Is he okay?

MSUDawg13
10-17-2015, 04:54 PM
Is Ross ok?

According to Carskadon, Ross is fine and re-entered the game. I never saw him go back in though.

CadaverDawg
10-17-2015, 05:07 PM
According to Carskadon, Ross is fine and re-entered the game. I never saw him go back in though.

Good

smootness
10-17-2015, 05:15 PM

Hail Damn State

I agree with a lot of what you said, but I'm not sure it was as big a deal as you're making it. We're simply a better team, and it showed over the course of the game. We definitely responded impressively, but I don't think our players ever thought anything but that we were going to win it easily ultimately.

DudyDawg
10-17-2015, 05:26 PM
Still no excuse to go down at home like that to LA tech. We won bc of talent not bc mullen did something great

smootness
10-17-2015, 05:29 PM
Still no excuse to go down at home like that to LA tech. We won bc of talent not bc mullen did something great

Ok....

ShotgunDawg
10-17-2015, 05:30 PM

Well Ole Miss couldn't do the same, so there is obviously more to it than just talent.

I'm proud of our team today. I thought the final 3 quarters were some of the best football we've collectively played all year

DudyDawg
10-17-2015, 05:42 PM
Well Ole Miss couldn't do the same, so there is obviously more to it than just talent.

I'm proud of our team today. I thought the final 3 quarters were some of the best football we've collectively played all year

I'm not bitching about the win, and dont give a shit about ole miss. I just don't think we should be punched in the face like that at home to a team in CUSA. Finished great. Happy we won. But I don't think that's as good as we can play. I damn sure as hell hope it isn't.

ETA. Not saying fire mullen either. Just think we can do better and I'm not gonna be psyched about today

Statecoachingblows**
10-17-2015, 05:55 PM
I saw a few times today, seems more than all season so far, where Dak seemed to have some of that fire back. Sure we shouldn't have needed to get hit in the mouth before waking up but the key is we woke up. I remember Maine and the fact that we haven't always woken up from that early onslaught. Biggest thing we have to figure out is how to not have to get down 2 scores before starting to play.

DudyDawg
10-17-2015, 05:58 PM
Ok....

Did he do anything that stuck out to you? Other than not giving it to shump (still too much holloway for me) I don't think anything changed from the first half to the second to every other game this year. Glad we won but I don't think it was some tide turning emotional performance that'll change anything. We should've won 45 20. We are to the point that letting a team like that hang around is a dissapointment right?

Jack Lambert
10-17-2015, 07:33 PM

He never came back but could have if they needed him. Thats what Matt Wyatt said on the post game show.

Jack Lambert
10-17-2015, 07:36 PM
I was at the game and could not post but I bet there were a lot of folks feeling pretty shitty when we went 14 down. My son even said it was over. I looked at him and said we have too much talent and it turned out I was right. I never panic with this team. Our offense can get down the field when we need them to.

I figured that either the D or the O was going to do something and get the other fired up. This week it was the O. Last week it was the D.

CadaverDawg
10-17-2015, 07:37 PM
Chev, you need to chill the hell out. I never said shit about firing Mullen or Diaz. Besides, game threads are full of spur of the moment shit. If you take them that serious, you may need to quit reading them. Chill the hell out, man.

Damn, you're normally a good poster.

Schultzy
10-17-2015, 08:32 PM
Ross came back for many plays after getting x-rayed for collarbone.

DudyDawg
10-17-2015, 08:43 PM
Ross came back for many plays after getting x-rayed for collarbone.

Didn't really look for him, did he get the ball any after? And hope its the all clear. He's about as much as a sure thing as we can ask for

Dawgology
10-17-2015, 08:48 PM

Hail Damn State

Abso-damn-lutely. I think this game may end up being one of those that helps define a season. It was a really good win.

Liverpooldawg
10-17-2015, 09:30 PM

The excuse is the team along with 95% of our fans thought his one was a walkover. To their credit once they realized it wasn't they dominated.

Schultzy
10-17-2015, 09:41 PM
Didn't really look for him, did he get the ball any after? And hope its the all clear. He's about as much as a sure thing as we can ask for
Yes and caught passes afterward.

BrunswickDawg
10-17-2015, 09:57 PM
The excuse is the team along with 95% of our fans thought his one was a walkover. To their credit once they realized it wasn't they dominated.
^This. How many times have you seen us start a game like that and either win by a fluke or just lay down and lose? Pretty sure Jackies teams lost a game like this one every year. I won't even mention The Coach Who Shall Not Be Named, who would have lost and said he knew we would. We bitch every year about Dan's team always having a close OOC game that we probably should have lost. Well, we buried that fear for this year.

ShotgunDawg
10-17-2015, 10:07 PM
^This. How many times have you seen us start a game like that and either win by a fluke or just lay down and lose? Pretty sure Jackies teams lost a game like this one every year. I won't even mention The Coach Who Shall Not Be Named, who would have lost and said he knew we would. We bitch every year about Dan's team always having a close OOC game that we probably should have lost. Well, we buried that fear for this year.

Well said Brunswick....

Look, I don't know where you start to build a sustainable winner, but I think this is a good start. Hopefully, Mullen starts winning more BIG games, but so long as he keeps doing this, MSU will be in a good spot & closer to reaching our goals.

David H Murray ‏@DawgsBiteMag 15m15 minutes ago
Mississippi State has won the last 16 meetings with unranked opponents.

Todd4State
10-17-2015, 10:27 PM
Good OP Cadaver. The biggest thing I would like to see is Dan give fewer carries to Holloway and more to Aeris and Lee. When the two freshmen carry the ball all of a sudden we move the ball and the offensive line suddenly looks passable.

I think the blocked punt was HUGE in that game. Instead of being tied at the half which might have given La Tech some more confidence, we ended up going into the locker room with the lead. I think the shots on Walley kind of pissed our guys off too.

Todd4State
10-17-2015, 10:29 PM
And for those talking about Jackie and Croom- losing those games to people like Northeast Louisiana, La Tech, Maine, etc.- that is why we have a very hard time getting respect. And I'm sure it definitely got used against us in recruiting at the time.