PDA

View Full Version : Sean Payton receives advice from Parcells & Gruden..still loses 58-18 (good read)

CadaverDawg
07-25-2013, 02:26 PM
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/69548/the-pop-warner-offense-that-confounded-sean-payton-and-what-it-says-about-offensive-innovation-in-the-nfl

Clinton High School used to run a version of this offense in the Clarence McDougal days, where they basically had about 15 plays but ran them to perfection. I've always wondered if this will return one day, and whether it could be incorporated into MSU's scheme in the coming years with a power run game. I've always liked this style of offense more than the air raid type attacks, because this frustrates the shit out of a defense, wears them out, and shortens the game...thus giving you a better chance to beat teams with more overall talent than you.

CadaverDawg
07-25-2013, 02:29 PM
By the way, some of the comments are pretty funny

FlabLoser
07-25-2013, 02:56 PM
Good read. Makes me want to watch some single wing film.

dawg21
07-25-2013, 03:14 PM
The few high schools in the state that know how to run it right win. And when they have talented players they win big. Its an easy offense to transition from year to year in High School no matter the player make up.

CadaverDawg
07-25-2013, 03:21 PM
The few high schools in the state that know how to run it right win. And when they have talented players they win big. Its an easy offense to transition from year to year in High School no matter the player make up.

I agree completely

dawg21
07-25-2013, 03:25 PM
I know a couple of years ago...a team from NE Mississippi had 3 running backs over 1100 yards. Averaged 9 yards a carry or something like that.

Irondawg
07-25-2013, 11:24 PM
And honestly it's pretty easy to recruit to as well, especially in our talent base. But in HS it usually works well b/c the backs on the good teams that run it are generally way, way faster the kids on defense.

But I'd love to see someone give it a shot in the NCAA with a mid-talent team and see what happens.

Todd4State
07-26-2013, 12:10 AM
The Mike Pizinski Egg Bowl I was talking about the other day- one reason we won was because we used an unbalanced line and I think it caught Ole Miss off guard. I always thought that was one of Jackie's better game plans for offense during his tenure. We didn't run the single wing that day, but some of the concepts like that can be applied and used successfully.

Maybe the next hybrid type players will be OL/TE types that can be used more as attached TE's and maybe we'll even see some wingbacks out there.