PDA

View Full Version : Tyson Carter not visiting Ohio State

Thick
10-16-2015, 09:00 AM
Thoughts?

Ifyouonlyknew
10-16-2015, 09:03 AM
This 1 has been in the bag for a while. Whether he decides to take another visit or not. He's over on campus at practice almost every day.

HSVDawg
10-16-2015, 09:42 AM
Looks like good news for us. For those in the know, is Carter good enough to step in and replace Newman right away after he goes pro, or will he need a year to get acclimated? Also, is he expected to be a PG or a SG?

Ifyouonlyknew
10-16-2015, 09:50 AM
Looks like good news for us. For those in the know, is Carter good enough to step in and replace Newman right away after he goes pro, or will he need a year to get acclimated? Also, is he expected to be a PG or a SG?

No he's not going to step in & replace Malik. He will provide outside shooting but definitely needs to add weight. He's a true combo guard can play the 1 or the 2. I wouldn't bet on anymore than 1 or 2 freshmen coming in & starting.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-16-2015, 10:03 AM
This 1 has been in the bag for a while. Whether he decides to take another visit or not. He's over on campus at practice almost every day.

Looks like I was wrong on Herard...I noticed he is up to 75% on us now, with the last prediction being made by Kansas guy...

starkvegasdawg
10-16-2015, 10:08 AM
It appears we're about to find out what kind of teams we would have had under Stands if he had known how to coach, too. It's just gives me a warm tingly feeling to know we have a coach that is not only an elite recruiter but also knows how to design and execute a play.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-16-2015, 10:17 AM
Looks like I was wrong on Herard...I noticed he is up to 75% on us now, with the last prediction being made by Kansas guy...

Yea Kansas don't feel good at all about him going there. He's supposed to take 1 last visit but they haven't decided where yet. He's always said playing time was his biggest factor & that's why I always felt good about our chances.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-16-2015, 10:17 AM
It appears we're about to find out what kind of teams we would have had under Stands if he had known how to coach, too. It's just gives me a warm tingly feeling to know we have a coach that is not only an elite recruiter but also knows how to design and execute a play.

No disrespect but Stans was a really good recruiter. Howland is an elite recruiter.

PMDawg
10-16-2015, 11:20 AM
No disrespect but Stans was a really good recruiter. Howland is an elite recruiter.

was about to say the same thing. If this pans out, it will be our best class ever. Stans did well, Howland is about to blow his recruiting away though.

ScoobaDawg
10-16-2015, 11:23 AM
was about to say the same thing. If this pans out, it will be our best class ever. Stans did well, Howland is about to blow his recruiting away though.

#HowlandNetworks

Ifyouonlyknew
10-16-2015, 11:43 AM

Yep look at the guys that Howland has signed, committed, or heavily involved for

Malik Newman - Top 10 in 2015
Aric Holman - Top 75 in 2016 & reclassified
Lamar Peters - Top 100 in 2016
Eli Wright - Top 125 in 2016
Tyson Carter - Top 100 in 2016
Mario Kegler - Top 40 in 2016
Schnider Herard - Top 60 in 2016
De'ron Davis - Top 50 in 2016
Abdul Ado - Top 125 in 2016
Garrison Brooks - Top 100 in 2017
Nick Weatherspoon - Top 75 in 2017

This doesn't even include the 2018 class where Robert Woodard, Ladarius Marshall, Michael Barber, & Kenneth Nwuba are all guys we're heavily involved with that are all top 50-75 players.

HoopsDawg
10-16-2015, 11:49 AM
I wouldn't bet on anymore than 1 or 2 freshmen coming in & starting.

We are losing our entire starting 5. It depends on who we sign, but I could see us starting 2 or 3 freshman.

confucius say
10-16-2015, 11:51 AM
For y'all who know howland or have inside info, do you see him here long term or no?

Ifyouonlyknew
10-16-2015, 11:58 AM
We are losing our entire starting 5. It depends on who we sign, but I could see us starting 2 or 3 freshman.

I expect IJ to start at PG with Peters being his understudy. I expect Q to start at the 2. Holman starts at the 4. Herard would start at the 5. That leaves a battle between Stapleton & Kegler at the 3. That would be 1 or 2 Freshmen in the starting lineup.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-16-2015, 12:03 PM
For y'all who know howland or have inside info, do you see him here long term or no?

I don't see him leaving anytime soon. Where is he going to go? He's already had his dream job in UCLA. I think he's just glad to be back in coaching & he's energized about making MSU a power.

fishwater99
10-16-2015, 12:18 PM
Are we going after Michael Barber from Jackson?

confucius say
10-16-2015, 12:25 PM
I don't see him leaving anytime soon. Where is he going to go? He's already had his dream job in UCLA. I think he's just glad to be back in coaching & he's energized about making MSU a power.

Fantastic.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-16-2015, 12:25 PM

Yes I typed Michael Porter & meant Barber in 1 of my previous post. I'll correct it.

ScottH
10-16-2015, 01:17 PM

And he really likes it here.

On top of that, he thinks he has a recruiting advantage here. You tell me how many coaches have ever thought that.

If we do our job and keep the arena full, there really is no limit.

ScottH
10-16-2015, 01:26 PM

Barber may have to decide on MAIS vs MHSAA vs Out of State

maroonmania
10-16-2015, 01:37 PM

Well Stans would have been an elite recruiter if he had had Howland's pedigree. Stans probably recruited at as high a level as he could for a guy that in his entire 14 years as a HC never made it past the 2nd round of the NCAA tourney and never put a player in the NBA that lasted.

maroonmania
10-16-2015, 01:39 PM
On top of that, he thinks he has a recruiting advantage here.

Glad he thinks that but curious why he thinks that?

BrunswickDawg
10-16-2015, 02:09 PM
Well Stans would have been an elite recruiter if he had had Howland's pedigree. Stans probably recruited at as high a level as he could for a guy that in his entire 14 years as a HC never made it past the 2nd round of the NCAA tourney and never put a player in the NBA that lasted.
If you count the guys who went pro before 1 and done was the rule, you could call Stans a borderline elite recruiter. Those guys were the equivalent of Malik.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-16-2015, 02:19 PM
If you count the guys who went pro before 1 and done was the rule, you could call Stans a borderline elite recruiter. Those guys were the equivalent of Malik.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-16-2015, 02:22 PM

The reason I wouldn't call Stans an elite recruiter is because he had some very very good classes but he also had some very meh classes as well. Again not taking anything away from him he was very good just not elite.

engie
10-16-2015, 02:37 PM

This...

Stans had the greatest win percentage of a power 5 coach not to make a sweet 16 in the last 25 years. The regular season success speaks for itself. We all wish a couple postseasons had gone differently but they are what they are...

BrunswickDawg
10-16-2015, 02:58 PM
The reason I wouldn't call Stans an elite recruiter is because he had some very very good classes but he also had some very meh classes as well. Again not taking anything away from him he was very good just not elite.

Yeah, that's why I was considering him borderline. I honestly couldn't tell you whether those meh classes were the years that our #1 went pro or not. But, he also had the knack of pulling a rabbit out of his hat like Roberts that made you go "damn, he's good".

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-16-2015, 03:03 PM
Yeah, that's why I was considering him borderline. I honestly couldn't tell you whether those meh classes were the years that our #1 went pro or not. But, he also had the knack of pulling a rabbit out of his hat like Roberts that made you go "damn, he's good".

....And Moultrie

messageboardsuperhero
10-16-2015, 06:39 PM
Glad he thinks that but curious why he thinks that?

I'm not ScottH, but I'll give it a shot:

Our basketball facilities, weight room, practice courts, etc. are second to only a very very select few. He can also play the small town/little distraction card, which appeals to players who want to work hard and dedicate themselves to get better in college so that they can move on to the NBA. IMO, Howland wants us to be known as a basketball player development factory.
It is also underestimated by fans the amount of support he gets from Keenum and Stricklin. Howland's mentioned multiple times that both are MSU grads who understand what athletics and basketball can mean to a university, which is something you don't see everywhere.
SEC money also helps.

Just a few things off the top of my head.

Avelso
10-16-2015, 09:58 PM
Another advantage with some of the elite players is that we are one of the few Adidas Schools in the Deep South. I'm not saying the man can't coach or recruit but he's using his relationships very well. Poor Rick Ray did a great job cleaning up the train wreck but he never had a chance.

ScottH
10-16-2015, 10:05 PM

Our basketball facilities, weight room, practice courts, etc. are second to only a very very select few. He can also play the small town/little distraction card, which appeals to players who want to work hard and dedicate themselves to get better in college so that they can move on to the NBA. IMO, Howland wants us to be known as a basketball player development factory.
It is also underestimated by fans the amount of support he gets from Keenum and Stricklin. Howland's mentioned multiple times that both are MSU grads who understand what athletics and basketball can mean to a university, which is something you don't see everywhere.
SEC money also helps.

You got it.

Schultzy
10-16-2015, 11:43 PM

SEC money also helps.

Plus our history shows we have a high ceiling. We could e won a national championship here in 1996, vey close.

Bothrops
10-16-2015, 11:57 PM
I can't wait to go to some games this season. I've missed the old atmosphere at the Hump, it feels like it was ages ago. Now it's going to be even better and crazier.

dawgoneyall
10-17-2015, 07:24 AM
He said this would be his last head coaching job

dickiedawg
10-17-2015, 08:34 AM
I hope so. I know winning cures all ills in that department, but it has been a long time since the hump was "what it used to be". None of the current students have ever been to a packed out Humphrey Coliseum. How many students know enough about Ben Howland to be excited just based on that?

MSUDawg4Life
10-17-2015, 08:44 AM
I hope so. I know winning cures all ills in that department, but it has been a long time since the hump was "what it used to be". None of the current students have ever been to a packed out Humphrey Coliseum. How many students know enough about Ben Howland to be excited just based on that?

It doesn't take much to get students excited. Just win. They don't have to know anything.

CadaverDawg
10-17-2015, 09:01 AM
What ultimately shows if Howland's got it, will be if he can teach the students not to rush through the "Maroon, White, Fight Fight Fight" cheer.**

Bully13
10-17-2015, 09:21 AM
do we have any big guys committed for the 2016 season? are we looking good on any big guys for that class?

Thick
10-17-2015, 10:14 AM
do we have any big guys committed for the 2016 season? are we looking good on any big guys for that class?

We are looking pretty good right now.

starkvegasdawg
10-17-2015, 10:45 AM
What ultimately shows if Howland's got it, will be if he can teach the students not to rush through the "Maroon, White, Fight Fight Fight" cheer.**

I heard they already finished for the game today.