PDA

View Full Version : Why do coaches go full stupid in the 2 minute drill?

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2015, 09:43 PM
First, Mullen calls a ridiculous timeout when LSU's defense is on their heels because, as he said, he wanted to give our offense a "Breather". Why?

Now Stoops with under a minute to play around mid-field, calls a running play on 2nd down & a deep bomb on 3rd down, leading to a 4th down that ended the game. Why?

I get that time is running down & the urgency causes mistakes & lack of thinking things through, but it seems to me that coaches way over coach things in the 2 minute drill. They try to get cute & put their stamp on the game, when that sort of coaching isn't necessary.

Anyway, it's frustrating to see offenses find rhythm & timing in the 2 minute drill & appear to be on their way to scoring a game winning TD, only to see the coach get in the way & destroy the momentum they had going.

sandwolf
10-15-2015, 09:57 PM
Stoops calling that running play was incredibly stupid.

Todd4State
10-15-2015, 10:26 PM
I've been Dan Mullen's biggest special teams critic over the years. However, I will say that I can not remember a time where we ended up with only EIGHT guys out there on a punt like Stoops did. Kentucky is pretty lucky that Auburn didn't run a fake there- they almost certainly wouldn't have gotten a first down on fourth and one with 11 on 8.

BulldogBear
10-15-2015, 10:31 PM
I've been Dan Mullen's biggest special teams critic over the years. However, I will say that I can not remember a time where we ended up with only EIGHT guys out there on a punt like Stoops did. Kentucky is pretty lucky that Auburn didn't run a fake there- they almost certainly wouldn't have gotten a first down on fourth and one with 11 on 8.

Yeah. Punter should've just ran left.