PDA

View Full Version : Is Dak being too cautious with the football?

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2015, 12:49 PM
Have been listening to some sports talk radio today and they've been discussing why the Cowboys are benching Brandon Weeden. The main reason given is that he is being too cautious with the football and not giving the Cowboys, who don't run the ball as well as they did last year, a chance to make big plays.

IMO, I thought this sounded a lot like MSU this year, and was curious if Dak was being too cautious as well. To this point, Dak has yet to throw and interception, but the offense isn't scoring points either. Furthermore, when Fitz comes in the game, he doesn't read defenses as well as Dak, but, due to that, takes more shots down the field, even when it may not be the proper read. However, this has led to him giving the receivers the opportunity to make plays down the field.

I'm not advocating for Dak to start throwing into triple coverage, but I'd certainly be willing to trade a reasonable amount of interceptions if it meant we were taking more shots down field an stretching the defense vertically more often. It's hard to make progress unless your willing to concede some casualties.

What are your thoughts?

msstate7
10-15-2015, 12:56 PM
Fitz gives our guys chances to make catches downfield even if it's good coverage. I wish Dak would do the same. I'm not saying throw 10 yard passes if the coverage is good, but downfield where it's one on one

missouridawg
10-15-2015, 12:58 PM
I think the back shoulder throws that plagued Dak at Bama has changed the way he is taking risks... or changed the way Dan coaches. Something is different in the approach since that game.

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2015, 01:07 PM
There are a ton of good analogies to this, but I think one that's fits well is a hitter in baseball that isn't striking out, but also isn't hitting for power

There are a certain amount of strike outs that you are willing to concede, so as long as the hitter is hitting for power. The Astros built their entire roster on this principle.

Dak is a doubles & 15-20 HR guy that isn't striking out right now but conversely is only hitting singles.

Sacrifice
10-15-2015, 01:30 PM
To me Daks biggest weakness is throwing the deep ball. He seems to have problems putting air under the ball and leading receivers. I'm guessing that's why we don't take many shots deep.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-15-2015, 01:39 PM
Fitz gives our guys chances to make catches downfield even if it's good coverage. I wish Dak would do the same. I'm not saying throw 10 yard passes if the coverage is good, but downfield where it's one on one

Also throwing it up in coverage is a lower risk against Northwestern St & Troy than it is against LSU, Bama, & OM. Nothing wrong with giving your guys a chance but you also have to be smart. Also Fitz is trying to show what he can do so he's looking for the big play instead of the check down.

Maroonthirteen
10-15-2015, 02:31 PM
I don't agree about passing but I think he is being overly cautious running. I didn't want to believe that to start the season but it seems to be obvious in the read option decisions.

The back shoulder throw.....that was a called pass last year. We threw it and threw it until teams picked up on it and took advantage of our predictable play. I think that is why we are not throwing the back shoulder this year.

But he hasn't thrown a pick because he is doing very good reading the defense, looking off the safety and finding single coverage.

MabenMaroon
10-15-2015, 04:43 PM
The one play that bothers me the most was the first offensive possession against TAMU. That pass to a wide ass open Gabe Myles should have been made, as it was Gabe couldn't even get a finger on it. Then that route and throw was not to be seen again for the remainder of the game
That one play to me was the difference in the game and I think may have gotten into Dak's head a little bit. In our bigger games ( Bama, UPig, UNM, Mizzou ) those opportunities must be taken advantage of over and over again, got to keep the defenses wary and that will go a long ways to helping the running game.

Taog Redloh
10-15-2015, 04:46 PM
Oh good Lord, it's starting again. Just.....stop.

Dak has plenty of flaws but just go ahead and quit the Fitz to Dak comparisons now. Geez.

msstate7
10-15-2015, 04:51 PM

Dak has plenty of flaws but just go ahead and quit the Fitz to Dak comparisons now. Geez.

What are you getting upset about? Nevermind... I don't even care.

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2015, 05:20 PM

Geez man, no one is insinuating that Fitz should play over Dak. That's ridiculous.

However, that doesn't mean that you can't watch Fitz play & go "hmmm", I wish Dak would throw the ball up like that every once in a while.

I just wish that Dak would take more chances down the field. That's all. If he did that, I think he'd hit on a few, & it may make teams play their safeties deeper, which could allow for more YAK yards on the normal routes.

I don't think that Dak having zero interceptions, while our offense is struggling to score, is optimal. I wish we would take more risks in an effort to hit more HRs.

Dawg61
10-15-2015, 05:46 PM
Actually I think Dak has thrown the deep ball pretty well he's just not throwing it enough. His completion % at 20+ yards has to be better than most and we know he hasn't thrown an interception so his QBR on deep throws has to be better than most too. I think some of yall have impossible expectations for Dak especially since his OL is average.

gravedigger
10-15-2015, 05:55 PM
There are a ton of good analogies to this, but I think one that's fits well is a hitter in baseball that isn't striking out, but also isn't hitting for power

There are a certain amount of strike outs that you are willing to concede, so as long as the hitter is hitting for power. The Astros built their entire roster on this principle.

Dak is a doubles & 15-20 HR guy that isn't striking out right now but conversely is only hitting singles.

Very good analogy

Harrydawg
10-15-2015, 07:24 PM
Bottom line, just win - leave nothing on the table, all on the field.

Win out and throw 5 picks = balls out = happy

BB30
10-16-2015, 08:26 AM
Geez man, no one is insinuating that Fitz should play over Dak. That's ridiculous.

However, that doesn't mean that you can't watch Fitz play & go "hmmm", I wish Dak would throw the ball up like that every once in a while.

I just wish that Dak would take more chances down the field. That's all. If he did that, I think he'd hit on a few, & it may make teams play their safeties deeper, which could allow for more YAK yards on the normal routes.

I don't think that Dak having zero interceptions, while our offense is struggling to score, is optimal. I wish we would take more risks in an effort to hit more HRs.

I think a lot of it is competition as well. Fitz has left a couple long balls short that would have been pics against LSU and A and M. Dak also does not throw the deep ball all that well and I think that will be the primary reason he struggles in the league, at least until he figures it out. Like Maben said that throw to Gabe against A and M has to be completed.