PDA

View Full Version : Football excitement

msstate7
10-15-2015, 10:19 AM
Seems to be non-existent. Seems we're more content to talk about other sec games or OM NCAA troubles rather than our team. What do you think it will take to get us back excited about our team?

dawgswinagain
10-15-2015, 10:26 AM
A loss to La Tech isn't going to cure that lack of excitement....

HancockCountyDog
10-15-2015, 10:27 AM
Seems to be non-existent. Seems we're more content to talk about other sec games or OM NCAA troubles rather than our team. What do you think it will take to get us back excited about our team?

We are 1-2 in toss up games so far this season. We won't have another toss up game until we play Mizzou. We will win this week and next week, and I think we will figure out if we are going to have a 9-10 win season or a 7-8 win season when we play Mizzou on a Thursday night.

Saltydog
10-15-2015, 10:37 AM
So, IMO we're 0-2 in toss up games. Nonetheless some of it stems from the fact that a year ago we were ranked no. 1 in the country for 5 weeks and then fell flat on our face. In our last 10 games we're 5-5. So, this season has been a bit anticlimactic for those reasons. IF we win the next three games, which we SHOULD, people will again start to get excited.

BrunswickDawg
10-15-2015, 10:37 AM

It's 2 straight weeks of blah, unknown opponents. There would even less talk if LT didn't have Jeff Driskel as QB - because that means we actually know the name of one of their players.
The week prior to NW St. was like this too.

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2015, 10:38 AM

Much like the team itself, I think fans can truly only get hyped for about 3 to 4 games a year.

We got hyped for the LSU game, & I have no doubt we'll be hyped for the Bama game & Ole Miss game. Perhaps we mix in one more, either Kentucky or Missouri, but I don't find this strange at all.

Last year, I think the board only got truly hyped for LSU, A&M, Auburn, & Bama. Other than that, it was pretty even keel around here.

Dawgology
10-15-2015, 10:41 AM

So far this year the only game that I have watched where our football team seems to be driven was against Troy and that was only the defense. The past couple of years we have had THAT player or THAT unit to get excited about but this year we seem to lack...something. We may have a lot of STRRAAAAIIIINNNN but we don't have any attitude. There have been very few BIG plays where any of the units or individuals show off (except during the Troy game). It may be a leadership thing...I don't know. I know the team is probably disappointed because our hopes were kind of set back early but it seems like we are half-way to pulling the plug on the season.

From a talent standpoint we are missing Day and Robinson (let's not get into a RB debate) but from an attitude standpoint their impact is greatly missed.

LC Dawg
10-15-2015, 10:44 AM
I'm excited about our football program. This year's team hasn't played as well as they could at times but we go into every week knowing we have a chance to win. I'd certainly like to win every game but I know that it is damn depressing packing for a weekend trip to Starkville knowing that we have virtually no shot at a win. Some fans blast fans like me for "accepting mediocrity" but I feel like there is too much stress in everyday life to not get excited about Mississippi State having a winning football team.
If we go into the Bama game 7-2 the excitement will come back and that game will have an electric atmosphere. If we beat Bama the excitement will rival last year's.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-15-2015, 10:44 AM
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that we've already played half the teams in the west and it's going to take a miracle to now win it with our record. Combine that with the lack of balance and the lack of improvement and I think people are waiting on this team to show them something. The beginning of last week's game will help, but we need to see that against SEC teams, too.

sleepy dawg
10-15-2015, 10:54 AM
Much like the team itself, I think fans can truly only get hyped for about 3 to 4 games a year.

We got hyped for the LSU game, & I have no doubt we'll be hyped for the Bama game & Ole Miss game. Perhaps we mix in one more, either Kentucky or Missouri, but I don't find this strange at all.

Last year, I think the board only got truly hyped for LSU, A&M, Auburn, & Bama. Other than that, it was pretty even keel around here.

I get hyped about every game, but I think you're right about most folks, and this is quite obvious in the stands at home games.

I also think most people are unrealistic with expectation, which causes a lot of disappointment rather than excitement. This is not just us, but for everybody. Most fans aren't truly excited all season unless you are far exceeding any expectations.

Also, the more games we add, the less excitement there is per game... not that we added more this year, but going from 11 to 12 games, plus the additional bowl games, plus playoffs, all contribute to the less value per game. This impact is not a large impact, but it is an impact non-the-less. As more total games are added over time this trend will continue though.

RBritt
10-15-2015, 10:54 AM
Do we want Auburn to beat Kentucky? I'm thinking that'd suck the life out of Kentucky.

msstate7
10-15-2015, 11:04 AM
Do we want Auburn to beat Kentucky? I'm thinking that'd suck the life out of Kentucky.

I want auburn to win a very physical game in which towles gets a targeting ejection in the 2nd half. Too much to ask for?

dawgs
10-15-2015, 11:06 AM
I get hyped about every game, but I think you're right about most folks, and this is quite obvious in the stands at home games.

I also think most people are unrealistic with expectation, which causes a lot of disappointment rather than excitement. This is not just us, but for everybody. Most fans aren't truly excited all season unless you are far exceeding any expectations.

Also, the more games we add, the less excitement there is per game... not that we added more this year, but going from 11 to 12 games, plus the additional bowl games, plus playoffs, all contribute to the less value per game. This impact is not a large impact, but it is an impact non-the-less. As more total games are added over time this trend will continue though.

I don't think playing 1 extra game against a usm/Troy/NW st/la tech type had any effect sec game excitement. Also, whether with the playoff system or the old school bowl system, we'd still be out of the running for the west for all intents and purposes.

dawgs
10-15-2015, 11:07 AM
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that we've already played half the teams in the west and it's going to take a miracle to now win it with our record. Combine that with the lack of balance and the lack of improvement and I think people are waiting on this team to show them something. The beginning of last week's game will help, but we need to see that against SEC teams, too.

This. We are basically out of the running in the west already, and we haven't been an exciting team at all, especially against the only 3 real teams we've played.

War Machine Dawg
10-15-2015, 11:09 AM

Dan to pull his head out of his ass and play the best players. Hevesy to kick the OLs ass and make them be physical. D continuing what it did in the first half last week - lots of pressure and creating turnovers. Fixing the run game so the D isn't on the field 35+ minutes every damn game.

thunderclap
10-15-2015, 11:10 AM
Call a timeout. Make a field goal. There's your answer.

DownwardDawg
10-15-2015, 11:14 AM
It's this week's damn hype video that's causing the non interest. *****

HancockCountyDog
10-15-2015, 11:18 AM

Also, I think some (Myself included) thought this was the year that we could genuinely win the West (still can) and then have a shot at the playoff. That was a legitimate expectation. Barring a big win at home against Bama, that won't happen. Once we had that delay of game penalty and trotted out our backup K, that dreamed pretty much died.

I think what is concerning to some (hand raised) is that next year will be a rebuilding year. We lose both corners, two guys on the DL, maybe a third if AJ keeps playing awesome and an outside shot of all 4 if James decides to be a Josh Robinson. On offense, we lose Dak, Bear, and maybe Ross if he finishes the way he started. On the OL we don't lose much, but what we return are 3 seniors that haven't done much (Clayborn, Desper, Senior).

My biggest concern is losing Bear and Ross potentially. Both are NFL Wr's and should have a great, great finish to the end of the season, but if they do, they could both go pro. Bear has all but said he is gone. If Fred keeps showing out, he will at least get a grade.

The biggest issue next year is the schedule. Road games: @ Bama, LSU, Northern Miss, Kentucky, BYU? Home games against a talented A&M team. thankfully we get SC at home next year, so thats another W, but I don't know what Arkansas or AU will look like, my guess is AU isn't a trainwreck and that Arkansas is a W. I think the Kentucky game on the road, against an improving KY team will be for our sixth win.

I look at the schedule and see a 8-4 ceiling next year with a 6 win floor. Throw in the fact that our recruiting class is down to AJ Brown (We get), Kobe Jones (We get), Lashley (We Get) and Simmons (Bama, I hope Im wrong); Lets assume we get all 4, that leaves us at 19 commits. I think we will sign close to 25 this year. So we need to pick up our recruiting just a bit, according to 24/7 sports we don't have a single 4 star committed. Either composite or by 247. I know we all hate stars, but I know I like what I see from Jamal Peters. I know I like what I see from Fred Ross. Chris Jones looks great at times. Will Redmond is a stud. Beni Brown is a stud. These are all guys that were 4 stars or higher. So far, its a development class, not an instant impact class. Even Lashley and Kobe are RS candidates. Simmons and Brown are instant impact.

I say all of this to explain the lack of excitement on my end, Im not going up for the game, I usually only miss 1 home game a year, and this year it is this one. Once we win the next three, I think people will get back to normal and be ready for Bama in four weeks. The key is we have to beat Mizzou. If we don't Im worried I'll be sitting next to half of the callers from the Finebaum show.

Beaver
10-15-2015, 11:31 AM
Combine that with the lack of balance and the lack of improvement and I think people are waiting on this team to show them something. The beginning of last week's game will help, but we need to see that against SEC teams, too.

Yep. As fans even during the season we always live a "what have you done for me lately" kind of life. Even though we had a sucky 2013 season, we were all excited and happy going into the offseason because of how we finished the season (wins against arky, om, and rice). This team has looked good at times but overall hasn't been too exciting to watch. The La Tech and Kentucky games are more likely to bring more frustration than jubilation since it's more likely those games will be somewhat tight rather than absolute blowouts.

However, I think excitement will come back after the Kentucky game. We'll be traveling to Missouri to play for a chance to be 7-2, and it'll be a primetime Thursday night game.

mic
10-15-2015, 11:38 AM
A loss to La Tech isn't going to cure that lack of excitement....

A loss to Memphis will only add fire to the impending implosion about to happen there...

confucius say
10-15-2015, 11:44 AM
We're spoiled after last year. Every sign points to us being 7-2 in mid November, with three games left (two at home), and controlling our own destiny to a big six bowl or, at worst, the citrus/capital one bowl. That's not enough to have us excited right now. Maybe it will be a month from now.

msstate7
10-15-2015, 11:48 AM
Also, I think some (Myself included) thought this was the year that we could genuinely win the West (still can) and then have a shot at the playoff. That was a legitimate expectation. Barring a big win at home against Bama, that won't happen. Once we had that delay of game penalty and trotted out our backup K, that dreamed pretty much died.

I think what is concerning to some (hand raised) is that next year will be a rebuilding year. We lose both corners, two guys on the DL, maybe a third if AJ keeps playing awesome and an outside shot of all 4 if James decides to be a Josh Robinson. On offense, we lose Dak, Bear, and maybe Ross if he finishes the way he started. On the OL we don't lose much, but what we return are 3 seniors that haven't done much (Clayborn, Desper, Senior).

My biggest concern is losing Bear and Ross potentially. Both are NFL Wr's and should have a great, great finish to the end of the season, but if they do, they could both go pro. Bear has all but said he is gone. If Fred keeps showing out, he will at least get a grade.

The biggest issue next year is the schedule. Road games: @ Bama, LSU, Northern Miss, Kentucky, BYU? Home games against a talented A&M team. thankfully we get SC at home next year, so thats another W, but I don't know what Arkansas or AU will look like, my guess is AU isn't a trainwreck and that Arkansas is a W. I think the Kentucky game on the road, against an improving KY team will be for our sixth win.

I look at the schedule and see a 8-4 ceiling next year with a 6 win floor. Throw in the fact that our recruiting class is down to AJ Brown (We get), Kobe Jones (We get), Lashley (We Get) and Simmons (Bama, I hope Im wrong); Lets assume we get all 4, that leaves us at 19 commits. I think we will sign close to 25 this year. So we need to pick up our recruiting just a bit, according to 24/7 sports we don't have a single 4 star committed. Either composite or by 247. I know we all hate stars, but I know I like what I see from Jamal Peters. I know I like what I see from Fred Ross. Chris Jones looks great at times. Will Redmond is a stud. Beni Brown is a stud. These are all guys that were 4 stars or higher. So far, its a development class, not an instant impact class. Even Lashley and Kobe are RS candidates. Simmons and Brown are instant impact.

I say all of this to explain the lack of excitement on my end, Im not going up for the game, I usually only miss 1 home game a year, and this year it is this one. Once we win the next three, I think people will get back to normal and be ready for Bama in four weeks. The key is we have to beat Mizzou. If we don't Im worried I'll be sitting next to half of the callers from the Finebaum show.

2017 is the year we might can make another run like last year IMO. Staley/fitz will be a junior, dear/mixon/Thomas should be explosive offensive players for us, Justin Johnson/pierce?/d. Jones/Roberson could be the best set of te's we've ever had, Jenkins/Calhoun/ rankin/champion/ Williams should work out for a solid oline, need to get gray and hopefully AJ some help at wr, and k. Hill as a freshman rb with Gibson should make for a really good offense.

On defense, we need Simmons, Davis, and jones this year to help the Adams, Thomas, and hoyett on the dline. Green and Leo could be stars at lb. hopefully jt gray can become a good one. I expect cam Myers and stamps to be good cb's. Peters and mclaurin are gonna be good.

Hopefully guys like Mullins and Kendall jones can become a threat on the edge.

ETA -- Saban could be gone by '17. Hopefully OM gets the death penalty... Ok, maybe severe sanctions

MidTNDawg
10-15-2015, 12:01 PM
Is Dak playing up to our expectations? Have we won the games we expected to win? Are we really competing for the Western Division?

BrunswickDawg
10-15-2015, 12:36 PM
This. We are basically out of the running in the west already, and we haven't been an exciting team at all, especially against the only 3 real teams we've played.
That's the attitude I don't get. We are not out of the running. 7 times since 1992 the west has been won by a team with 2 or more loses (LSU won with 3 loses in '01). That is 30% of the time. Is it a stretch? Yes. Would it take some breaks for us to do it? Yes. But, many years that has happened. There are still a ton of conference games left to play.

defiantdog
10-15-2015, 12:42 PM
I want auburn to win a very physical game in which towles gets a targeting ejection in the 2nd half. Too much to ask for?

Is Carl Lawson back? If he is, that would be huge for them.

msstate7
10-15-2015, 12:45 PM
Is Carl Lawson back? If he is, that would be huge for them.

Last I heard, he was doubtful to return this year. Haven't checked since our game though

defiantdog
10-15-2015, 12:47 PM
2017 is the year we might can make another run like last year IMO. Staley/fitz will be a junior, dear/mixon/Thomas should be explosive offensive players for us, Justin Johnson/pierce?/d. Jones/Roberson could be the best set of te's we've ever had, Jenkins/Calhoun/ rankin/champion/ Williams should work out for a solid oline, need to get gray and hopefully AJ some help at wr, and k. Hill as a freshman rb with Gibson should make for a really good offense.

On defense, we need Simmons, Davis, and jones this year to help the Adams, Thomas, and hoyett on the dline. Green and Leo could be stars at lb. hopefully jt gray can become a good one. I expect cam Myers and stamps to be good cb's. Peters and mclaurin are gonna be good.

ETA -- Saban could be gone by '17. Hopefully OM gets the death penalty... Ok, maybe severe sanctions

Smitherman is going to be a lock down corner for us. And I believe Graham will be pretty damn good his senior year in '17. I'm with you, we are in position to have a break out year in '17. I also think Darryl Williams is going to be a Day like center for us..... the dude has a mean streak.

defiantdog
10-15-2015, 12:48 PM
Last I heard, he was doubtful to return this year. Haven't checked since our game though

I know he's off crutches and supposedly traveled with the team. I just didn't know if this was a hush, hush thing from Malzahn.

Johnson85
10-15-2015, 12:50 PM
That's the attitude I don't get. We are not out of the running. 7 times since 1992 the west has been won by a team with 2 or more loses (LSU won with 3 loses in '01). That is 30% of the time. Is it a stretch? Yes. Would it take some breaks for us to do it? Yes. But, many years that has happened. There are still a ton of conference games left to play.

The team that has taken the field this year is not in the running. We're certainly not mathematically eliminated, and if we suddenly started playing reasonably up to our talent level, we'd control our destiny as far as finishing 3rd, and have a very good shot at finishing second (depending on how the A&M v. Bama game goes). But we're six games in. We shouldn't be mediocre, but we're halfway through the season and we are mediocre. Certainly teams turn it on at the end of the year, but we haven't seen any reason to expect that yet.

We have a solid team that should win 7 games. That's not anything to be depressed about, but people aren't going to be excited about that coming off a year like we had last year. Just the nature of the beast.

msstate7
10-15-2015, 12:52 PM
I know he's off crutches and supposedly traveled with the team. I just didn't know if this was a hush, hush thing from Malzahn.

Really hope he's back bc or would really help them tonight and vs om.

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2015, 12:54 PM
A loss to Memphis will only add fire to the impending implosion about to happen there...

The problem with 2017 is that we have to play AT Georgia

defiantdog
10-15-2015, 12:56 PM

As of now, at Georgia is a lot better than at Florida. So I'll take the chances.

msstate7
10-15-2015, 12:59 PM

Hopefully Georgia doesn't hire a homerun this offseason. If Saban does indeed leave before '17, it could ease the pain of going to Georgia.

Pollodawg
10-15-2015, 01:28 PM
Call a timeout. Make a field goal. There's your answer.

Then don't fumble twice on the opponent's side of the fifty and we're undefeated. Looks like a season of shoulda, woulda, coulda so far.

MadDawg
10-15-2015, 01:30 PM

We are not undefeated and ranked #1 in the country so a lot of our more vocal fans want to fire Mullen and send Diaz packing. Sad but true. Kind of kills any excitement one can have when instead of talking about what we might do this season instead we have to defend our coaches.

Jack Lambert
10-15-2015, 01:35 PM
Everyone keeps thinking of the last two times we played them. We lost one and we had to go into over time to win the second. I don't think this LA Tech team has any better talent this time but I do know MSU has a lot better talent than the last two times we played. We wll roll and I suspect Defense and either the kick return or punt return team will have a TD. Maybe both. Tech doesn't cover kicks very well.

Beaver
10-15-2015, 01:44 PM

The problem with 2017 is that it's two years from now... Lot of football to be played between now and then.

BulldogBear
10-15-2015, 01:44 PM
Probably just play a complete game!

defiantdog
10-15-2015, 01:45 PM
We are not undefeated and ranked #1 in the country so a lot of our more vocal fans want to fire Mullen and send Diaz packing. Sad but true. Kind of kills any excitement one can have when instead of talking about what we might do this season instead we have to defend our coaches.

I don't think you'll find more vocal fans then right here, and none of us are calling for either of their heads. Which is odd..... because there are usually a handful of folks calling for Mullen's head by now..... no more hire Hud at least.

defiantdog
10-15-2015, 01:47 PM
Everyone keeps thinking of the last two times we played them. We lost one and we had to go into over time to win the second. I don't think this LA Tech team has any better talent this time but I do know MSU has a lot better talent than the last two times we played. We wll roll and I suspect Defense and either the kick return or punt return team will have a TD. Maybe both. Tech doesn't cover kicks very well.

They actually have some weapons this year..... Jeff Driskel knows SEC defenses, and Kenneth Dixon is a damn good running back. I'm not worried about this game, but they have some weapons as well.

smootness
10-15-2015, 01:49 PM
The year after we hit #1 in the country was pretty much always going to be a disappointment. We've gotten down as a fan base, but we'll probably end the year pretty well, win the Egg Bowl, and get excited going into next year again. The expectations won't be the same next year, and we'll probably be happy, which will set us up for another big year in 2017.

This is just the way it works.

Jack Lambert
10-15-2015, 01:51 PM
They actually have some weapons this year..... Jeff Driskel knows SEC defenses, and Kenneth Dixon is a damn good running back. I'm not worried about this game, but they have some weapons as well.

I predict Driskel will have his worse game all season this weekend and will get multiple views of the sky line at DWS. As far as Dixon goes he will get most of his yards in the fouth quarter.

HancockCountyDog
10-15-2015, 01:52 PM

Has anyone actually said that Mullen should be fired? Is that a real thing? I follow the board pretty closely, and I don't see that as a real thing.

Really Clark?
10-15-2015, 02:01 PM
Has anyone actually said that Mullen should be fired? Is that a real thing? I follow the board pretty closely, and I don't see that as a real thing.

The closest is some have gone with, they want him gone by taking another job. They don't want him fired but they want him to leave. I think if you want him gone it is basically the same thing, gone is gone you just don't want to be the villain by firing someone, but they argued that it is not the same in their opinion.

smootness
10-15-2015, 02:01 PM

I haven't really seen anybody come out and say he needs to go, but I have absolutely seen several people say they wouldn't mind if he left. And the overall sentiment seems to be something close to 'I want Mullen to stay, but he better figure some things out quickly.'

HancockCountyDog
10-15-2015, 02:09 PM
The closest is some have gone with, they want him gone by taking another job. They don't want him fired but they want him to leave. I think if you want him gone it is basically the same thing, gone is gone you just don't want to be the villain by firing someone, but they argued that it is not the same in their opinion.

Someone needs to talk to a Nebraska fan about how a 9 win season would taste right now or ask a confederate how that Coach 0 experiment went.

If we are firing coaches or asking them to leave on the cusp of an 8 win season, while playing in the SEC West, we might as well close up shop. I mean, Im all for demanding excellence, but you can't compete for a national title every year, hell LSU can't even do that and they have so many built in advantages over us, its sickening.

Beaver
10-15-2015, 02:22 PM
Someone needs to talk to a Nebraska fan about how a 9 win season would taste right now or ask a confederate how that Coach 0 experiment went.

Or ask Tennessee fans how Lane Kiffin and Dooley worked out after getting rid of Fulmer.

Maroonthirteen
10-15-2015, 02:23 PM
Yeah, I thought it was a dead crowd last week.

If we win the next two and at Mizzou, the fans will be excited then. DWS will be rocking to welcome Bama.

HoopsDawg
10-15-2015, 02:40 PM
I really liked the way we attacked on Defense last week. If we played that same style from the opening whistle against A&M and LSU, it might be a different story.

It's time for the offense to take on that same mentality. Time of possession in college football is meaningless. Let's score points by any means possible. #PTGDF and let Dak run.

Bothrops
10-15-2015, 03:21 PM
I think whenever, or if we can play a full 4 quarter game against a remaining SEC opponent, and win, excitement will return.

MadDawg
10-15-2015, 03:50 PM

Not so much here. But I do see it in the comments to articles all over social media. And yes, I do realize some of those are trolls, but not all of them are.

War Machine Dawg
10-15-2015, 04:20 PM
I don't think you'll find more vocal fans then right here, and none of us are calling for either of their heads. Which is odd..... because there are usually a handful of folks calling for Mullen's head by now..... no more hire Hud at least.

No shit. MadDawg just can't help himself. He'll never get over Stans. That said, it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see Diaz go. Obviously offense has been the bigger problem, but the D hasn't exactly been lights out.

War Machine Dawg
10-15-2015, 04:25 PM
I really liked the way we attacked on Defense last week. If we played that same style from the opening whistle against A&M and LSU, it might be a different story.

It's time for the offense to take on that same mentality. Time of possession in college football is meaningless. Let's score points by any means possible. #PTGDF and let Dak run.

Why are y'all so big on punting?
http://i.imgur.com/1SyrS0x.gif

mic
10-15-2015, 04:29 PM
No shit. MadDawg just can't help himself. He'll never get over Stans. That said, it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see Diaz go. Obviously offense has been the bigger problem, but the D hasn't exactly been lights out.

Defense hasn't been lights out?? I'm not saying we are the 85 Bears , but
If it wasn't for the defense we would have lost to auburn, and the USM game would have been much closer..

Some of our fans have way unrealistic expectations about our defense and defense as a whole these days..
If anyone is to blame this year for our 4-2 record it's on the offense...

Coach007
10-15-2015, 04:35 PM

Win with authority. Dominate these games without hesitation. Don't go into coast mode.. even with your starters out, demand the back ups to play with as much fire or pull them. AND that goes for both sides of the ball!

Everybody is kinda worried about the lack of the run game and we all know we have to have it.

Taog Redloh
10-15-2015, 04:49 PM
Well you are nuts.

LAST year was our shot to win the West, and we choked on our own vomit in Bryant-Denny Stadium.

Taog Redloh
10-15-2015, 04:51 PM
Uhhh

Thread is full of fail, and you are the cherry on top

Liverpooldawg
10-15-2015, 04:55 PM
We have one really good season and people assume we will be that way forever and abandon ship when we inevitably aren't. We still have plenty to be excited about.

TaleofTwoDogs
10-15-2015, 05:26 PM

How could we fail? We had a Heisman candidate and a great leader. But the media looked at our roster and determined we would drop to the bottom of the West. We knew better (or hoped we knew better) and then the season began and the cascade of events began to unravel our excitement:

- The USM game was a shocker as we watched in disbelieve at #15 now playing in the style of Tyler Russell.

- It became painfully obvious that the OL ( mostly 1B's from last year) did not have the aggressiveness and run blocking skills required in the SEC West

- The tradition at State of always shooting ourselves in the foot appeared in the LSU game with the missed Time Out and the delay penalty causing a crushing loss (I think most of us are still pissed at that colossal ****up).

- The run game, always a hallmark of MSU, became nonexistent.

- CDM for reasons unknown to the fan base, started Shump and Holloway over the talented freshman. Run game was no longer a strength of the team.

- A&M was to be our turn-around game. It was a disappointing loss.

- Troy kick our tails in the 2nd half (let that sink in). Team lost the strain.

And you wonder why we lost our excitement? Like the man said "Show me the money". Then you will see the excitement back.

War Machine Dawg
10-15-2015, 08:40 PM
Uhhh

Thread is full of fail, and you are the cherry on top

What has this D done well? We're 55th nationally in Pass D, 83rd nationally in Rush D, 74th in Total D. We have just 4 INTs and are -2 in TO margin. In the SEC we're 9th in Pass D, 10th in Rush D, 8th in Total D.

I will grant we're actually pretty good in TFLs and sacks, but we've accumulated most of those in OOC games. And Scoring D has been good - 24th nationally, 4th in the SEC. But again, we're putting up much better performances against the weak teams. We've only faced one or two really good offenses so far, or at least what I'd call good, and that's aTm and maybe USM. The offenses get better the rest of the way - LA Tech is 14th nationally in Scoring O, Northern Miss is 5th nationally, and Bama is inside the Top 40.

Overall, I just can't call what we've done defensively good. If that makes me the villain, so be it. But we didn't bring Manny back to be a bottom half SEC D and in the bottom 1/4 nationally. Spin that shit any way you want, but it's the truth.

mic
10-15-2015, 09:18 PM
I
What has this D done well? We're 55th nationally in Pass D, 83rd nationally in Rush D, 74th in Total D. We have just 4 INTs and are -2 in TO margin. In the SEC we're 9th in Pass D, 10th in Rush D, 8th in Total D.

I will grant we're actually pretty good in TFLs and sacks, but we've accumulated most of those in OOC games. And Scoring D has been good - 24th nationally, 4th in the SEC. But again, we're putting up much better performances against the weak teams. We've only faced one or two really good offenses so far, or at least what I'd call good, and that's aTm and maybe USM. The offenses get better the rest of the way - LA Tech is 14th nationally in Scoring O, Northern Miss is 5th nationally, and Bama is inside the Top 40.

Overall, I just can't call what we've done defensively good. If that makes me the villain, so be it. But we didn't bring Manny back to be a bottom half SEC D and in the bottom 1/4 nationally. Spin that shit any way you want, but it's the truth.

Defense will keep getting better and better
If I had told you before the year started that
LSU would score 21
Aub would score 9
AM would score 30
With what we all thought we would have on offense this year .....you, me and everyone else would have said we would be 3-0

War Machine Dawg
10-15-2015, 10:13 PM
I

Defense will keep getting better and better
If I had told you before the year started that
LSU would score 21
Aub would score 9
AM would score 30
With what we all thought we would have on offense this year .....you, me and everyone else would have said we would be 3-0

Yeah, and before the year we thought LSU & aTm would suck and Auburn would be badass. Instead, Auburn is a train wreck and LSU & aTm may be the two best teams in the West. No one is denying our offense has been the bigger problem. NO ONE. But acting like the D has played great isn't exactly the truth either.

That said, if we play aggressive the way we did in the first half last Saturday, we could be damn good. But I'm not convinced we'll do that in SEC play. Aggressive, blitzing D increases the risk of big plays, and we know Mullen is scared shitless of increased risk in important games. We'll know a lot more after UK and Mizzou. Hell, we may know more after this weekend, considering how good LA Tech is on offense.

mic
10-16-2015, 08:44 AM
He
Yeah, and before the year we thought LSU & aTm would suck and Auburn would be badass. Instead, Auburn is a train wreck and LSU & aTm may be the two best teams in the West. No one is denying our offense has been the bigger problem. NO ONE. But acting like the D has played great isn't exactly the truth either.

That said, if we play aggressive the way we did in the first half last Saturday, we could be damn good. But I'm not convinced we'll do that in SEC play. Aggressive, blitzing D increases the risk of big plays, and we know Mullen is scared shitless of increased risk in important games. We'll know a lot more after UK and Mizzou. Hell, we may know more after this weekend, considering how good LA Tech is on offense.

No one thought TAM would suck on offense.. I would take holding them to 30 all day long at their place.... Their D is much improved..

Just because Aub sucks this year doesn't mean we shouldn't score more than 17 that game.. We relied on the defense to win that game in the second half for us.. And they did.
And I wouldn't want to be OM going in there in a couple weeks.. Aub won't go 0-4 at home this year in the sec ...

LSU is always going to be LSU..

"Mullen is scared shitless of increased risk in important games".... Agree 100%....
My point is if we had been rolling like most thought on offense the D would be even better..
Again I'm not saying the defense is top 10 in the country, no one thought we would be this year.. But Diaz > Collins.. Collins is working out well at UF for 2 reason...talent that's there and Randy Shannon CoDC.. .

Our defense wil get better and better as the year progresses.. I'm sure CDM and Diaz thought if we could hold other teams to around 24 points we would have a shot at winning every game..
The D is doing what it is suppose too , be good enough to allow our offense which should be MUCH better to win games.. Not relying on the D to win games for us ..

yakalot
10-16-2015, 08:51 AM
When I read SPS, I always skip over Rebel Bruiser's posts, not because they are short novels, but because they are written by an egoist who thinks he knows everything there is to know about everything. I'm starting to do the same with WMD.

KentuckyDawg13
10-16-2015, 09:11 AM
Since there are so many debbie downers here not excited to see the UK game, please relieve your misery and sell your tix to me and my son making the 6 hr drive to see the game.
Thanks in advance.

War Machine Dawg
10-16-2015, 10:32 AM
When I read SPS, I always skip over Rebel Bruiser's posts, not because they are short novels, but because they are written by an egoist who thinks he knows everything there is to know about everything. I'm starting to do the same with WMD.

What have I said that's incorrect? D has been better than the O, but that doesn't make them "good." And the numbers bear it out. This team needs to improve on both sides of the ball. We still haven't played a complete game on either side of the ball, much less our best game. And I've been wrong over the years and can admit it. For example, I thought Stone Hands Morrow was a huge bust. But he's turned into a solid role player and come up with some big plays. And so far this season I've been wrong about the OL. They aren't getting it done the way they should.

Coach007
10-16-2015, 10:33 AM
Since there are so many debbie downers here not excited to see the UK game, please relieve your misery and sell your tix to me and my son making the 6 hr drive to see the game.
Thanks in advance.

Why is this a standard response to people venting their frustrations? News flash... I buy tickets and if I want to complain about something .. I will. It doesn't make me any less of a fan than you. It doesnt mean that i will not be going to games. It does not mean i am willing to sell or WANT to sell my tickets. What it does mean is I love the game.... I like breaking down footage. I like seeing where we need to improve. And most of all... I LOVE TALKING ABOUT IT!

You not getting upset with anything ever doesn't make you a better fan... Nor does it entitle you to somebody else's tickets. It doesn't put you in a special category of fanhood. At the same time, if you don't want to complain or talk about defecincies fine. I won't complaint about your lack of caring. :)

BTW... I'm not lashing out at you personally... Just the idea that people can't hold an opinion and season tickets at the same time.

Maroonthirteen
10-16-2015, 10:33 AM
Thanks in advance.

I don't get down to every game because of family activities and living so far away. However, I wish I could. I had a blast last weekend. Starkville and MSU....are such wonderful host to the fans. There are so many restaurants and shops now in Starkville. The University is entertaining the fans all over the campus and all the facilities are so nice. I will miss tomorrow and already hate it because my excitement for the LaTech game is building.......but I will be there for the UK game. I can't wait to get back down there.

KentuckyDawg13
10-16-2015, 12:38 PM
Your opinions or anyone elses don't bother me...just need tix. I have been an MSU fan since the 80s, have heard a lot worse.
:cool:

Why is this a standard response to people venting their frustrations? News flash... I buy tickets and if I want to complain about something .. I will. It doesn't make me any less of a fan than you. It doesnt mean that i will not be going to games. It does not mean i am willing to sell or WANT to sell my tickets. What it does mean is I love the game.... I like breaking down footage. I like seeing where we need to improve. And most of all... I LOVE TALKING ABOUT IT!

You not getting upset with anything ever doesn't make you a better fan... Nor does it entitle you to somebody else's tickets. It doesn't put you in a special category of fanhood. At the same time, if you don't want to complain or talk about defecincies fine. I won't complaint about your lack of caring. :)

BTW... I'm not lashing out at you personally... Just the idea that people can't hold an opinion and season tickets at the same time.