PDA

View Full Version : Overreaction by Florida in regards to A Hernandez or the right move?

Irondawg
07-25-2013, 09:24 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9507844/florida-gators-remove-aaron-hernandez-brick

Personally i think it's a bit of overreaction - especially when you consider he hasn't even had his trial yet.

Coach34
07-25-2013, 09:36 AM
I think it's premature because he hasnt been proven guilty yet. While it does look bad- what happens if he wins his case?

msstate7
07-25-2013, 10:05 AM
I think it's premature because he hasnt been proven guilty yet. While it does look bad- what happens if he wins his case?

I don't know. Maybe he commits armed robbery in Las Vegas.

Quaoarsking
07-25-2013, 10:08 AM
Correct reaction from Florida. In the unlikely event he's acquitted, they can always put that stuff back.

Irondawg
07-25-2013, 10:35 AM
But I guess do you remove record of his accomplishments of a player at the school for something he does bad years later? If this was the ring of honor or something it would make sense, but every all-american gets a brick and he earned the award. if you left it in, very few people would say anything and in a couple of years no one would care.

on the flip side, nobody probably really cares that they are removing it.

messageboardsuperhero
07-25-2013, 10:42 AM

That's what I think too. Remember the Duke lacrosse case; George Zimmerman trial; etc. You'd think innocent until proven guilty doesn't apply in this country anymore.

I don't want to turn this into a political thread, so I'll just stop there.

ETA: That's not me saying he's innocent, I'm just saying it's usually best to wait. If he is convicted, then take it down. You don't want a convicted murderer to be part of a celebration of your program.

hacker
07-25-2013, 03:44 PM
umm, this isn't like the Zimmerman case.. they have actual evidence proving without a doubt that he did it.

Coach34
07-25-2013, 04:00 PM
You'd think innocent until proven guilty doesn't apply in this country anymore.

People are really ignorant of the law is why. A District Attorney can send a ham sandwich before a grand jury if he wants, and the grand jury decides if there is enough evidence to charge the ham sandwich with the crime it is accused of committing. The grand jury hears evidence, decides there isnt enough evidence to bring the ham sandwich to trial, and the ham sandwich is set free- never charged with a crime at all. But the ham sandwich has to go through all that BS, have its name tarnished, money spent on defense, etc. and was innocent the whole time. But people will always wonder if the sandwich had done something wrong despite never being charged with a crime.

And that is just in iffy type cases and doesnt even involve an arrest.

FlabLoser
07-25-2013, 04:57 PM
UF is a business, not a court. Cut him.

ckDOG
07-25-2013, 09:18 PM
Wasn't this guy pretty much documented to be a royal douche even before the murder allegations? I didn't keep up with Hernandez, but thought everyone hated the guy already...no?

TUSK
07-26-2013, 09:32 AM
I'm "ok" with it... I assume that UF has more information than the general public. While it's technically "premature", it's just a calculated PR/business risk on the part of the school...

I liken it to Penn State taking down Joe Pa's statue.

Goat Holder
07-26-2013, 10:23 AM
I was hoping TUSK would show up on this board....

Coach34
07-26-2013, 10:30 AM
TUSK is a good dude

Pollodawg
07-26-2013, 10:45 AM
I'm "ok" with it... I assume that UF has more information than the general public. While it's technically "premature", it's just a calculated PR/business risk on the part of the school...

I liken it to Penn State taking down Joe Pa's statue.

Welcome aboard. Glad to see you made it to the cool kid's table.

dickiedawg
07-26-2013, 12:50 PM
I was hoping TUSK would show up on this board....

Wouldn't have hurt my feelings if he didn't.